Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 268 of 397 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast
Results 6,676 to 6,700 of 9907

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Vought F6U Pirate

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MAKE THAT a FH 2 BANSHEE not a fury
    semper fi
    joe
    Look towards the Horizon......your death awaits you there So Enjoy today ,,,,,,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And we have a winner!!!!!

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F6U_Pirate

You're up, lbrande!!

The Vought F6U Pirate was the company's first jet fighter, designed for US Navy during the mid-1940s. Although pioneering the use of turbojet power as the first naval fighter with an afterburner and composite material construction, the aircraft proved to be underpowered and was judged unsuitable for combat. None were ever issued to operational squadrons and they were relegated to development, training and test roles before they were withdrawn from service in 1950.

A specification was issued by the US Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics (BuAer) for a single-seat, carrier-based fighter powered by a Westinghouse24C (later J34) axial turbojet on 5 September 1944. Chance Vought was awarded a contract for three V-340 (company designation) prototypes on 29 December 1944.[1]

The XF6U was a small aircraft with tricycle landing gear and with straight wings and tail surfaces. The wings were short enough that they did not need to fold. In order to fit more aircraft into crowded hangars, the nose gear could be retracted and the aircraft's weight would rest on a small wheel attached by the ground crew. This raised the tail up so that it could overlap the nose of the aircraft behind it. The jet engine was mounted in the rear of the fuselage and was fed by ducts in each wing root.[2]

The most unusual feature of the aircraft was its use of "Metalite" for its skin. This was made of balsa that was sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminum. "Fabrilite" was also used for the surfaces of the vertical stabilizer and rudder; this was similar to Metalite, but used fiberglass instead of aluminum. Two fuel tanks were fitted in the center of the fuselage. The forward tank, ahead of the wing, contained 220 US gallons (830 l; 180 imp gal) and the rear tank, 150 US gallons (570 l; 120 imp gal). These were supplemented by two jettisonable 140-US-gallon (530 l; 120 imp gal) tip tanks. The cockpit was well forward and was provided with a bubble canopy which gave the pilot good visibility. He was provided with a Mk 6 lead-computing gyro gunsight. Underneath the cockpit were four 20 mm (0.79 in) M3 autocannon. Their 600 rounds of ammunition were carried behind the pilot. The empty casings of the two upper guns were retained in the aircraft, while those from the two lower guns were ejected overboard.[3]

After a company-wide contest to name the aircraft, the initial prototype, named the Pirate, made its first flight on 2 October 1946. Flight testing revealed severe aerodynamic problems, mostly caused by the airfoil section and thickness of the wing. The vertical stabilizer also had to be redesigned to smooth out the airflow at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Other changes included the addition of dive brakes on the sides of the fuselage and the replacement of the Metalite panels near the engine's exhaust with stainless steel ones.[4]

The first XF6U-1 prototype was powered by a Westinghouse J34-WE-22 turbojet with 3,000 lbf (13.34 kN) thrust, one third of the weight of the aircraft. To help improve the underpowered aircraft's performance, the third prototype, which first flew on 10 November 1947, was lengthened by 8 feet (2.4 m) to use a Westinghouse J34-WE-30[5] afterburning engine of 4,224 lbf (18.78 kN) thrust, the first United States Navy fighter to have such a powerplant.[6]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnnyS

And we have a winner!!!!!

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F6U_Pirate

You're up, lbrande!!

The Vought F6U Pirate was the company's first jet fighter, designed for US Navy during the mid-1940s. Although pioneering the use of turbojet power as the first naval fighter with an afterburner and composite material construction, the aircraft proved to be underpowered and was judged unsuitable for combat. None were ever issued to operational squadrons and they were relegated to development, training and test roles before they were withdrawn from service in 1950.

A specification was issued by the US Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics (BuAer) for a single-seat, carrier-based fighter powered by a Westinghouse24C (later J34) axial turbojet on 5 September 1944. Chance Vought was awarded a contract for three V-340 (company designation) prototypes on 29 December 1944.[1]

The XF6U was a small aircraft with tricycle landing gear and with straight wings and tail surfaces. The wings were short enough that they did not need to fold. In order to fit more aircraft into crowded hangars, the nose gear could be retracted and the aircraft's weight would rest on a small wheel attached by the ground crew. This raised the tail up so that it could overlap the nose of the aircraft behind it. The jet engine was mounted in the rear of the fuselage and was fed by ducts in each wing root.[2]

The most unusual feature of the aircraft was its use of ''Metalite'' for its skin. This was made of balsa that was sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminum. ''Fabrilite'' was also used for the surfaces of the vertical stabilizer and rudder; this was similar to Metalite, but used fiberglass instead of aluminum. Two fuel tanks were fitted in the center of the fuselage. The forward tank, ahead of the wing, contained 220 US gallons (830 l; 180 imp gal) and the rear tank, 150 US gallons (570 l; 120 imp gal). These were supplemented by two jettisonable 140-US-gallon (530 l; 120 imp gal) tip tanks. The cockpit was well forward and was provided with a bubble canopy which gave the pilot good visibility. He was provided with a Mk 6 lead-computing gyro gunsight. Underneath the cockpit were four 20 mm (0.79 in) M3 autocannon. Their 600 rounds of ammunition were carried behind the pilot. The empty casings of the two upper guns were retained in the aircraft, while those from the two lower guns were ejected overboard.[3]

After a company-wide contest to name the aircraft, the initial prototype, named the Pirate, made its first flight on 2 October 1946. Flight testing revealed severe aerodynamic problems, mostly caused by the airfoil section and thickness of the wing. The vertical stabilizer also had to be redesigned to smooth out the airflow at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Other changes included the addition of dive brakes on the sides of the fuselage and the replacement of the Metalite panels near the engine's exhaust with stainless steel ones.[4]

The first XF6U-1 prototype was powered by a Westinghouse J34-WE-22 turbojet with 3,000 lbf (13.34 kN) thrust, one third of the weight of the aircraft. To help improve the underpowered aircraft's performance, the third prototype, which first flew on 10 November 1947, was lengthened by 8 feet (2.4 m) to use a Westinghouse J34-WE-30[5] afterburning engine of 4,224 lbf (18.78 kN) thrust, the first United States Navy fighter to have such a powerplant.[6]
    Ibrande; please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since we seem to have lost lbrande, the floor is open. First come, first served. If you have a question, please post it now. If no one posts a question this evening, I will post one. Now is your chance, guys; post away. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

P-39's that were sent to the USAAF in the south pacific were designated the P-400, and its poor high altitude performance and air to air vulerabilities earned it the title of a P40 with a Zero on its tail.

Robert.

Actually Rober the P-400s were P-400s, they never were P-39s. These were built for the RAF, who once they owned the first batch found out how inferior they were in the European combat arena. These never left the US for the RAF so the USAAF took them over and used them.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6
    Kadet LT 40 Brotherhood #98

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes the designation was P-400 straight from the mfg. but they were the same airframe is the point.
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry guys, but working on the F-35 this past 4 days took up more time than I had thought.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What plane am I?
    1-I was designed with small trapezoidal wings
    2-I had a long cylindrical fuselage,
    3-I used J-34 engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lbrande

What plane am I?
    3-I used J-34 engines.
    Douglas X-3 Stiletto?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another apology.... didn't see the last page. I'll save this for a later date....

I'm looking for an aircraft. (an apology here in advance, if clues are slow in coming, its because I'm away from the internet for the bulk of the day. Sorry)

1. Introduced late in a conflict, it was advanced enough that it enjoyed nearly complete immunity from interception for the length of its service.
    2. Unusual in that the same company that built the airframe also built the engine.
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

What plane am I?
    3-I used J-34 engines.
    Douglas X-3 Stiletto?

You got it Chad. You're up

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You got it Chad. You're up
    I'll let a65l run with it so please see his clues in his post above.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm looking for an aircraft. (an apology here in advance, if clues are slow in coming, its because I'm away from the internet for the bulk of the day. Sorry)

1. Introduced late in a conflict, it was advanced enough that it enjoyed nearly complete immunity from interception for the length of its service.
    2. Unusual in that the same company that built the airframe also built the engine.
    3. Due to the fortunes of war, the aircraft never operated in its intended environment
    4. Protracted development of its engine led to it being introduced very late into the conflict
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3. Due to the fortunes of war, the aircraft never operated in its intended environment
    4. Protracted development of its engine led to it being introduced very late into the conflict
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

5. One of the first designs for this airplane was for twin engines buried in the fuselage, driving wing mounted propellors
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nakajima C6N1 Saiun "Myrt"?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got to come up with some more obscure airplanes..... you got it.
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The C6N originated from a 1942 Imperial Japanese Navy specification for a carrier-based reconnaissance plane with a top speed of 350 knots (650 km/h) at 6,000 m and range of 2,500 Nautical miles (4,960 km). Nakajima's initial proposal, designated N-50, was for a craft with two 1,000 hp engines housed in tandem in the fuselage, driving two propellers mounted on the wings. With the development of the 2,000 hp class Nakajima Homare engine though, this configuration was abandoned and Nakajima decided on a more conventional single-engine layout. However, the Homare's output turned out to be less than initially expected, so the design had to be optimized in other areas. The resulting aircraft was designed around a long and extremely narrow cylindrical fuselage, just large enough in diameter to accommodate the engine. The crew of three sat in tandem under a single canopy, while equipment was similarly arranged in a line along the fuselage. The C6N's low mounted laminar flow wing housed fuel tanks and was fitted with both Fowler and slit flaps and leading edge slats to lower the aircraft's landing speed to ease use aboard aircraft carriers.[2] Like Nakajima's earlier B6N "Tenzan" torpedo bomber, the rudder was angled slightly forward to enable tighter packing on aircraft carriers.

The first flight was on 15 May 1943, with the prototype demonstrating a speed of 639 km/h (345 kt, 397 mph). Performance of the Homare engine was disappointing, especially power at altitude, and a series of 18 further prototypes and pre-production aircraft were built, before the Sauin was finally ordered into production in February 1944.

[edit] Operational history

Although designed for carrier use, by the time it entered service in September 1944, there were few carriers left for it to operate from, so most were used from land bases. Its speed was exemplified by a famous telegraph sent after a successful mission: "No Grummans can catch us." ("ζˆ‘γ«θΏ½γ„γ€γγ‚°γƒ©γƒžγƒ³γͺし"). The top speed of the Grumman F6F Hellcat was indeed of the same level, so overtaking a Sauin was out of the question.

A total of 463 aircraft were produced.[6] A single prototype of a turbocharged development mounting a 4-blade propeller was built, this was called the C6N2 Saiun-kai. A night-fighter version C6N1-S with oblique-firing (SchrΓ€ge Musik configuration) single 30 mm (or dual 20 mm) cannon and a torpedo carrying C6N1-B were also developed. The C6N1-B developed by Nakajima was not needed after Japan's aircraft carriers were destroyed. As Allied bombers came within reach of the Japanese home islands, there became a need for a first class night fighter. This led Nakajima to develop the C6N1-S by removing the observer and replacing him with two 20mm cannons. The C6N1-S's effectiveness was hampered by the lack of air-to-air radar, although it was fast enough to enjoy almost complete immunity from interception by Allied fighters.

Despite its speed and performance, on 15 August 1945, a C6N1 was the last aircraft to be shot down in World War II. Just five minutes later, the war was over and all Japanese aircraft were grounded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz78171.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	1741645  
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

new aircraft, new clues...

1. It was originally designed and produced with an american engine, then it was fitted with an english engine, then later production aircraft built in a different country were fitted with french engines.

2. One was used as the personal aircraft of the champion balloon buster of World War I.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1. It was originally designed and produced with an american engine, then it was fitted with an english engine, then later production aircraft built in a different country were fitted with french engines.

2. One was used as the personal aircraft of the champion balloon buster of World War I.

3. The gunner's seat could fold, which enabled the bombsight to be used. The gunner was also the bombardier.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3. The gunner's seat could fold, which enabled the bombsight to be used. The gunner was also the bombardier.

4. It was designed as a private venture and not to an official specification.

5. It was a biplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

4. It was designed as a private venture and not to an official specification.

5. It was a biplane.

6. One claimed a kill of an Bf 109 in 1940.

!!!No more clues until we get some guesses!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fairey fox?
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206