Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: JohnnyS

And he's right again!

You're up, Ernie P.
Thank you, Sir. As most of you are aware, my questions tend to highlight what I consider to be interesting people, facts or occurances. They often prove to be pretty easy to answer. This will probably be another. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Single engine monoplane.

(2) Originally designed as an interceptor.

(3) The most interesting feature was the engine.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

And he's right again!

You're up, Ernie P.
Thank you, Sir. As most of you are aware, my questions tend to highlight what I consider to be interesting people, facts or occurances. They often prove to be pretty easy to answer. This will probably be another. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

Me-163 Komet?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

And he's right again!

You're up, Ernie P.

Clues:

Me-163 Komet?

Well, the Me-163 certainly fits all the clues so far, MajorTomski; but it isn't what I'm looking for. The engine is interesting for other than technological reasons. Maybe this will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) The armament, intended to bring down large bombers, proved less suitable to bringing down other smaller aircraft, such as enemy fighters.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lippisch P.13a?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Ernie P.

Lippisch P.13a?
Sorry, no. As I said; this engine was interesting for other than technological reasons. But the Lippisch certainly had an interesting engine. Thanks; Ernie P.

As most of you are aware, my questions tend to highlight what I consider to be interesting people, facts or occurances. They often prove to be pretty easy to answer. This will probably be another. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) The armament, intended to bring down large bombers, proved less suitable to bringing down other smaller aircraft, such as enemy fighters.

(5) It was not a copy of any German WWII aircraft, but the designers definitely benefitted from their ability to study the German designs.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 PM
MajorTomski

Ok MiG-15 then, The engine clue has to do with using an English engine design and the odd gun implies the 23MM cannon.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 AM
Ernie P.

Ok MiG-15 then, The engine clue has to do with using an English engine design and the odd gun implies the 23MM cannon.

Right you are, MajorTomski. The MiG-15 it is; and you are up. To me, the MiG-15 is particularly interesting because the engine was sold to the Russians by the British during a time when the countries weren't particularly friendly; and were shortly to be in conflict in Korea. The mixed armament sometimes resulted in the 23mm cannon shells passing over a target aircraft, while the 37mm shells passed under the aircraft. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) It was not a copy of any German WWII aircraft, but the designers definitely benefitted from their ability to study the German designs.

(6) Single seat fighter.

(7) It wasn’t a first generation jet fighter, but more accurately a second generation.

(8) The engine, the most interesting feature, was a reverse engineered design of an engine purchased from a nation that would soon become hostile. In fact, the company which sold the engine attempted unsuccessfully to claim millions in licensing fees.

(9) Manufacturing tolerances and variations caused the early aircraft to roll to the left or right. So, trim devices were fitted to allow ground crews to adjust the aircraft to fly properly.

(10) The mixed cannon armament was badly mismatched; resulting in varying velocities that sometimes created divergent streams of fire.

Answer: The MiG-15.

The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 (Russian: Микоян и Гуревич МиГ-15) was a jet fighter developed for the USSR by Artem Mikoyan and Mikhail Gurevich. The MiG-15 was one of the first successful swept-wing jet fighters, and it achieved fame in the skies over Korea, where early in the war, it outclassed all straight-winged enemy fighters in most applications. The MiG-15 also served as the starting point for development of the more advanced MiG-17 which was still an effective threat to American fighters during the Vietnam War. The MiG-15 is believed to have been the most widely produced jet aircraft ever made, with over 12,000 built. Licensed foreign production perhaps raised the total to over 18,000. The MiG-15 is often mentioned along with the North American F-86 Sabre in lists of the best fighter aircraft of the Korean War and in comparison with fighters of other eras.

The first Soviet turbojet fighter developed by Mikoyan-Gurevich was the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-9 NATO reporting name: Fagot which appeared in the years immediately after World War II. It used a pair reverse-engineered German BMW 003 engines, which had been experimentally used on the Messerschmitt Me 262A-1b test aircraft, only a few of which were ever built. The MiG-9 was a troublesome design which suffered from weak, unreliable engines and control problems. Categorized as a first generation jet fighter, it was designed with straight wings like previous piston-engined fighters which were encountering performance problems as their performance approached the speed of sound.

The Germans never developed good turbojets with thrust over 2,500 lb which limited the performance of Soviet jet designs. By 1946, Soviet designers were impressed by the Rolls Royce Nene engine. Soviet aviation minister Mikhail Khrunichev and aircraft designer A. S. Yakovlev suggested to Premier Joseph Stalin the USSR buy advanced jet engines from the British. Stalin is said to have replied, "What fool will sell us his secrets?"

However, he gave his consent to the proposal and Mikoyan, engine designer Vladimir Klimov, and others travelled to the United Kingdom to request the engines. To Stalin's amazement, the British Labour government and its pro-Soviet Minister of Trade, Sir Stafford Cripps, were perfectly willing to provide technical information and a license to manufacture the Rolls-Royce Nene. This engine was reverse-engineered and produced as the Klimov RD-45, subsequently incorporated into the MiG-15. Rolls-Royce later attempted to claim £207 million in license fees, without success.[citation needed]

To take advantage of the new engine, the Council of Ministers ordered the Mikoyan OKB to build two prototypes for an advanced high-altitude day interceptor to defend against bombers. It was to have a top speed of 621 miles per hour and a range of 745 miles.
Designers at MIG's OKB-155 started with the earlier MiG-9 jet fighter. The new fighter used Klimov's new British designed engines, and applied swept wings and a tailpipe which went all the way back to a swept tail. Germany was the first nation to fit their Me 262 with a 18.5° wing sweep, but it was introduced merely to adjust the center of gravity of heavy engines. Further experience and research during World War II later established that swept wings would give better performance at transonic speeds. At the end of World War II, the Soviets seized most of Germany's aircraft industry. The MiG team studied many of these plans, prototypes and documents, particular swept-wing research and designs. The swept wing later provided a decisive performance advantage over straight-winged jet fighters when it was introduced into combat over Korea

What emerged had a mid-mounted 35 degree swept wing with a slight downward anhedral and a tailplane mounted up on the swept tail. Western analysts noted that it strongly resembled Kurt Tank's Focke-Wulf Ta 183, which was a never-flown swept-wing follow-on to the Me 262 designed during World War II. The MiG-15 bore a much stronger likeness than the American F-86 Sabre which also incorporated German research, though the new MiG retained the previous straight-winged MiG-9's wing and tailplane placement, and the F-86 inherited its low-wing from the Fury (which in turn had wings similar to the P-51). The two aircraft were otherwise similar enough in appearance to prompt US forces to paint their planes with bright stripes to distinguish them. The Soviets did capture the plans and prototypes for the Ta-183. The majority of Focke-Wulf engineers (in particular, Hans Multhopp, who led the Ta-183 development team) were captured by Western armies. It has been argued that the MiG-15 design team drew some limited inspiration from the Ta-183, but it is disputed that it was heavily influenced. One view is that the MiG-15 is an original design benefiting from German research, but conceived, designed, engineered, and produced by the Soviets. The unusual MiG-8 Utka experimental canard aircraft, built right at the conclusion of World War II by the MiG design bureau also lent experience in the use of swept wings on later Mikoyan designs.

The resulting prototypes were designated as I-310.[citation needed] The I-310 was a clean, swept-wing fighter with 35° sweep in wings and tail, and exceptional performance, with a top speed of over 1,040 km/h (650 mph). The design used a single engine fed by a split-forward air intake. A duct carried intake air around the cockpit area and back together ahead of the engine. First fight was 30 December 1947 (The similar American F-86 Sabre had first flown only months earlier in October 1947).
Russia's first swept-wing jet fighter was actually the underpowered Lavochkin La-160 which was otherwise more similar to the MiG-9. The Lavochkin La-168 which reached production as the Lavochkin La-15 used the same engine as the MiG but with shoulder mounted wing and t-tail was the main competitive design. Eventually, the MiG design was favored for mass production. Designated MiG-15, the first production example flew on 31 December 1948. It entered Soviet Air Force service in 1949, and subsequently received the NATO reporting name "Fagot." Early production examples had a tendency to roll to the left or to the right due to manufacturing variances, so aerodynamic trimmers called "nozhi" (knives) were fitted to correct the problem, the knives being adjusted by ground crews until the aircraft flew correctly.

An improved variant, the MiG-15bis ("second"), entered service in early 1950 with a Klimov VK-1 engine, an improved version of the RD-45/Nene, plus minor improvements and upgrades. Visible differences were a headlight in the air intake separator and horizontal upper edge airbrakes. The 23 mm cannons were placed more closely together in their undercarriage. Some "bis" aircraft also adopted under-wing hardpoints for unguided rocket launchers or 50–250 kg (110–551 lb) bombs. Fighter-bomber modifications were dubbed "IB", "SD-21", and "SD-5". About 150 aircraft were upgraded to SD-21 specification during 1953–1954. An unknown number of aircraft were modified to "IB" specification in the late 1950s.

The MiG-15 arguably had sufficient power to dive at supersonic speeds, but could not do so because it did not have an "all-flying" tail. As a result, the pilot's ability to control the aircraft deteriorated significantly as it approached Mach 1. Later MiGs incorporated all-flying tails.

The MiG-15 was originally intended to intercept American bombers like the B-29. It was even evaluated in mock air-to-air combat trials with a captured U.S. B-29, as well as the later Soviet B-29 copy, the Tu-4 "Bull". To ensure the destruction of such large bombers, the MiG-15 carried cannons: two 23 mm with 80 rounds per gun and a single 37 mm with 40 rounds. These weapons provided tremendous punch in the interceptor role, but their limited rate of fire and relatively low velocity made it more difficult to score hits against small and maneuverable enemy jet fighters in air-to-air combat. The 23 mm and 37 mm also had radically different ballistics, and some United Nations pilots in Korea had the unnerving experience of 23 mm shells passing over them while the 37 mm shells flew under. The cannons were fitted into a neat pack that could be winched down out of the bottom of the nose for servicing and reloading, in principle allowing a pre-prepared pack to be switched for rapid turnaround. (Some sources mistakenly claim the pack was added in later models.)

A variety of MiG-15 variants were built, but the most common was the MiG-15UTI (NATO reporting name "Midget") two-seat trainer. Because Mikoyan-Gurevich never mass-produced the transition training versions of the later MiG-17 or MiG-19, the MiG-15UTI remained the sole Warsaw Pact advanced jet trainer well into the 1970s, the primary training role being fulfilled exclusively by Czechoslovak Aero L-29 Delfin and the L-39 Albatros jet trainers (save for Poland, which used their indigenous TS-11 Iskra jets). While China produced two-seat trainer versions of the later MiG-17 and MiG-19, the Soviets felt that the MiG-15UTI was sufficient for their needs and did not produce their own trainer versions of those aircraft.

The MiG-15 was widely exported, with the People's Republic of China receiving MiG-15bis models in 1950. Chinese MiG-15s took part in the first jet-versus-jet dogfights during the Korean War. The swept-wing MiG-15 quickly proved superior to the first-generation, straight-wing jets of western air forces such as the F-80 and British Gloster Meteor, as well as piston-engined P-51 Mustangs and Vought F4U Corsairs with the MiG-15 of First Lieutenant Semyon Fiodorovich Jominich scoring the first jet-vs-jet victory in history when he bagged the F-80C of Frank Van Sickle, who died in the encounter (the USAF credits the loss to the action of the North Korean flak). Only the F-86 Sabre, with its highly trained pilots, was a match for the MiG.

Its baptism of fire occurred during the last phases of the Chinese Civil War (1946–49). During the first months of 1950, the aviation of Nationalist China attacked from Taiwan the communist position in continental China, especially Shanghai. Mao Zedong requested the military assistance of the USSR, and the 50th IAD (Истребительная Авиадивизия, ИАД; Istrebitelnaya Aviadiviziya; Fighter Aviation Division) equipped with the MiG-15b was deployed south of the People's Republic of China. On 28 April 1950, Captain Kalinikov shot down a P-38 of the Kuomintang, scoring the first aerial victory of the MiG-15. Another followed on 11 May, when Captain Ilya Ivanovich Schinkarenko downed the B-24 Liberator of Li Chao Hua, commander of the 8th Air Group of the nationalist Air Force.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM
MajorTomski

On a recent trip to Akron Ohio, I got to actually sit in the MiG-15's Polish built big brother the LIM-6. I am way too big to be a Polish fighter pilot.

I had a good odd bird picked out a week ago and now it's slipped my mind.

Ok, off the top of my head:

1. Twin engined

2. A bomber destroyer

3. The manuafacturer is still in business today.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 AM
Ernie P.

On a recent trip to Akron Ohio, I got to actually sit in the MiG-15's Polish built big brother the LIM-6. I am way too big to be a Polish fighter pilot.

I had a good odd bird picked out a week ago and now it's slipped my mind.

1. Twin engined

2. A bomber destroyer

Wow; that's pretty cool, MajorTomski. Until you reach out and touch them, you often don't really understand a lot of things. As to your question... Still in business today? Hmmm.... Two come to mind pretty quickly; the Mitsubishi Ki-45 and the Beech A-38 Grizzly. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ki-45
The Japanese Army needed a long-range fighter to cover great distances during any large-scale conflict in the Pacific and army planners felt that a twin-engine design could meet this need. In March 1937, the Japanese Army Staff sent a rather vague specification for such an airplane to a number of manufacturers. The specification described a two-seat fighter with a speed of 336 mph, an operating altitude of 6,560-16,405 ft, and endurance of over 5 hours. Takeo Doi, Kawasaki chief project engineer, began work on this design in January 1938 but the first production aircraft did not fly combat until the fall of 1942 giving this aircraft the longest gestation period of any developed to date.

The Bristol Mercury engine, built under license, was chosen to power the new aircraft but due to poor performance issues Kawasaki substituted 14-cylinder Nakajima engines, rated at 1000 horsepower each. Engineer Doi also revised the engine nacelles and prop spinners resulting in an increased top speed of 323 mph. Kawasaki narrowed the fuselage, increased the wingspan and area, revised the nacelles again, and modified the armament package until at last performance met army standards and the Toryu was ordered into production.

Unlike many Japanese Navy fighter airplanes, the Ki-45 aircraft had crew armor and fire-resistant fuel tanks. These airplanes also carried a heavy gun battery that usually consisted of 20mm and 37mm cannons. Kawasaki Ki-45-Kai-Hei Toryu (The Dragon Slayer) was the night fighter version sporting a 37mm cannon in the lower fuselage. This was field-modified with oblique firing 50 caliber machineguns replacing the upper fuselage fuel tank. The nose was left empty because there were plans to install a centimetric radar and antenna there. None were ever fitted with this equipment and it is estimated that 477 units like this were built. All Ki-45s also were provisioned for two drop-tanks or two 551-pound bombs on the under wing racks.

The Ki-45 earned a gruesome place in history in May of 1944 when it was employed for the first suicide attack in New Guinea, months before the first kamikaze attack. On the 27th of that month four Kai-B's made a suicide attack on the north coast of New Guinea, using their speed and maneuverability to press home the attack. Designed as a long-range escort, the Dragon-Slayer was fated to never perform this role. The Ki-45 soon became popular with flight crews who used it primarily for attacking ground targets and ships including U. S. Navy Patrol Torpedo boats but truly came into its own defending against the increasing American bomber attacks operating without fighter escort in Southeast Asia. When the Boeing B-29 Super Fortress began raiding the Japanese home islands, the heavily armed Kawasaki Dragon Slayer was one of the more effective defenders against the huge bombers.

A total of 1,698 Ki-45s were built. The NASM Ki-45 Kai Hai (Mod. C) is the last known survivor of the only aircraft used by the Japanese as a night fighter during the Second World War.

Beechcraft XA-38
The Beechcraft XA-38 Grizzly was a United States ground attack aircraft, fitted with a forward-firing 75 mm cannon to attack heavily armored targets. The first prototype flew on 7 May 1944 but after testing it became obvious it would not be ready for the projected invasion of Japan, and furthermore it used engines required by the B-29 Superfortress — which had priority - and so it was canceled after two prototypes had been completed.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 AM
MajorTomski

Nope sorry not the above three aircraft

1. Twin engined

2. A bomber destroyer

4. Part of the company name for this aircraft was also used on a US Muscle Car.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Ernie P.

Nope sorry not the above three aircraft

1. Twin engined

2. A bomber destroyer

4. Part of the company name for this aircraft was also used on a US Muscle Car.
Hmmm.... Twin Mustangs and... How about the Bell YFM-1 Airacuda? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Bell YFM-1 Airacuda was an American heavy fighter aircraft, developed by the Bell Aircraft Corporation during the mid 1930s. It was the first military aircraft produced by Bell. Originally designated the "Bell Model 1," the Airacuda first flew on 1 September 1937. The Airacuda was marked by bold design advances and considerable flaws that eventually grounded the aircraft.

The Airacuda was Bell Aircraft's answer for a "bomber destroyer" aircraft. Although it did see limited production, and one fully operational squadron was eventually formed, only one prototype and 12 production models were ultimately built, in three slightly different versions.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 AM
MajorTomski

Great Guess! Correct

and... How about the Bell YFM-1 Airacuda? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Bell YFM-1 Airacuda was an American heavy fighter aircraft, developed by the Bell Aircraft Corporation during the mid 1930s. It was the first military aircraft produced by Bell. Originally designated the "Bell Model 1," the Airacuda first flew on 1 September 1937. The Airacuda was marked by bold design advances and considerable flaws that eventually grounded the aircraft.
Ok boggle us for the weekend
Old 11-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Ernie P.

Great Guess! Correct

and... How about the Bell YFM-1 Airacuda? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Bell YFM-1 Airacuda was an American heavy fighter aircraft, developed by the Bell Aircraft Corporation during the mid 1930s. It was the first military aircraft produced by Bell. Originally designated the ''Bell Model 1,'' the Airacuda first flew on 1 September 1937. The Airacuda was marked by bold design advances and considerable flaws that eventually grounded the aircraft.
Ok boggle us for the weekend

Boggle you, eh? Well, fair warning: If this doesn't do it I'm going to start asking hard questions. Insert grin icon. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Although relatively unknown, he must be acknowledged as one of the greatest military pilots of all time.

(2) He scored his victories in three different types of aircraft.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Ernie P.

Next clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) Although relatively unknown, he must be acknowledged as one of the greatest military pilots of all time.

(3) He was inspired by reading about Baron von Richthofen; the Red Baron.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Ernie P.

A late night clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) He credited his gunnery and his training for his victories when flying an outdated fighter.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Ernie P.

Early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) He credited his gunnery and his training for his victories when flying an outdated fighter.

(5) He usually refused to accept credit for shared or partial victories; giving credit for those victories to less experienced pilots.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adolf Galland

Semper Fi
Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Adolf Galland

Semper Fi

Sorry, no. Please try again. Maybe this will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) He usually refused to accept credit for shared or partial victories; giving credit for those victories to less experienced pilots.

(6) He began as a mechanic.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Ernie P.

An evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(7) After serving as a mechanic, he learned to fly in a civilian school.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Ernie P.

Yet another clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) Then he became a military pilot.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 AM
naval flight officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woops!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Ernie P.

An evening clue. And now the clues begin to get really interesting. Watch my hands very closely. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) He once destroyed a Spitfire, which crashed into the sea, with a short burst of gunfire from only seventy yards.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Ernie P.

And another morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) He once destroyed a Spitfire, which crashed into the sea, with a short burst of gunfire from only seventy yards.

(10) He thought the Hurricane was a pretty easy plane to deal with, especially at low altitudes. Tomahawks were no problem, but he thought the Spitfire was a better plane than the one he flew.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

(10) He thought the Hurricane was a pretty easy plane to deal with, especially at low altitudes. Tomahawks were no problem, but he thought the Spitfire was a better plane than the one he flew.
... Brewster "Buffalo", that is ...

Eino Ilmari Juutilainen (21 February 1914 – 21 February 1999)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: perttime

... Brewster ''Buffalo'', that is ...

Eino Ilmari Juutilainen (21 February 1914 – 21 February 1999)

Perttime, as soon as I saw your name come up I knew the jig was up. Juutilainen is the highest scoring non-German ace of all time, with 94 victories in only 437 sorties. I was hoping to at least get in the fact that he shot down Spitfires, Hurricanes, Tomahawks, Heinkels, MiGs, etc. I thought that might confuse a few people, but you nailed it too soon. Okay, you're up; take it away. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) He shot down an He-111 bomber.

(12) After the victory related in (9) above, he, in the same fight, shot down a MiG fighter.

(13) He shot down a Spitfire, a Hurricane, a Tomahawk, a P-38, a Mustang, an He-111, a Rata, a MiG, etc., etc.

(13) He flew aircraft produced by three different nations; and shot down aircraft produced by at least four different nations.

(14) He never lost a wingman.

(15) No enemy ever managed to damage his aircraft.

(16) But he was forced into an unscheduled landing by his own anti-aircraft fire.

(17) Scored the first radar assisted victory by his air force.

(18) He refused promotion to the officer ranks because he was afraid promotion would keep him from flying.

(19) The highest scoring ace of his country.

(12) And the highest scoring non-German ace of all time.

Answer: Eino Ilmari "Illu" Juutilainen

Eino Ilmari "Illu" Juutilainen (21 February 1914 – 21 February 1999) was a fighter pilot of the Ilmavoimat (Finnish Air Force), and the top scoring non-German fighter pilot of all time. This makes him the top flying ace of the Finnish Air Force, leading all Finnish pilots in score against Soviet aircraft in World War II (1939–40 and 1941–44), with 94 confirmed aerial combat victories in 437 sorties. He himself claimed 126 victories. He achieved 34 of his victories while flying the Brewster Buffalo fighter.

Juutilainen is the top scoring Finnish fighter pilot. He flew Fokker D.XXI, Brewster Buffalo and Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters. He was one of the four people who twice received the highest Finnish military decoration, the Mannerheim Cross, and is considered the highest scoring non-German ace of all time. Juutilainen finished the war without a single hit to his plane from enemy fighter airplanes (once he was forced to land after a friendly anti-aircraft gun fired at his Bf 109). Like Japanese fighter ace Saburo Sakai, Juutilainen never lost a wingman in combat. He also scored the first radar-assisted victory in the Finnish Air Force on 24 March 1943, when he was guided to a Soviet Pe-2 by a German radar operator, who was testing out the freshly-delivered radar sets, that officially became operational 3 days later.

Juutilainen entered the Finnish military on 9 September 1932 for his compulsory military service, serving as a pilot in the Finnish Air Force starting from 1935. On 1 May 1935, Juutilainen was promoted to sergeant. He was transferred to LeLv 24, operating from Utti, on March 3, 1939. In October 1939, with the situation worsening, the squadron moved to Immola, closer to the Finnish-Soviet frontier.

During the Winter War (that broke on 30 November 1939) he flew the Fokker D.XXI. Juutilainen scored his first victory on 19 December 1939, shooting down an Ilyushin DB-3 bomber and damaging two more. At the end of the Winter War, he had achieved one shared and two individual victories.

During the Continuation War, he served in 3/LeLv 24, flying a Brewster B-239 "Buffalo".

On 21 July 1941, he and five other Buffaloes scrambled to intercept Soviet fighters from 65th ShAP that were strafing Finnish troops near Käkisalmi. During that sortie, he destroyed a Polikarpov I-153 'Chaika', making him an "ace" on the Brewster Buffalo.

Few days later, on 1 August, seven fighters under command of Ist Lt Karhunen destroyed six I-16s near Rautjarvi, and Juutilainen (having been promoted to Warrant Officer in the meantime) claimed two of them.

On the morning of 6 February 1942, while reconnoitring the Petrovkiy-Jam region with other LLv 24 pilots, he intercepted seven Tupolev SB bombers escorted by 12 MiG-3s. Juutilainen claimed two SBs.

He later recalled:
“ I noticed the bombers at 3000 metres, and radioed the boys about them. As we intercepted the Soviet aircraft, I spotted a formation of three SBs heading for a nearby railway line and dived after them. Targeting the aircraft to the left of the formation, my fire set its port wing aflame. The SB crashed next to the railway line. Just as I started after the lead bomber, I observed a MiG fighter closing in on me. In spite of the threat posed by the latter, I managed to hit the bomber in the starboard engine, which poured out smoke and oil. Moments later the aeroplane rolled over to the right and plunged into the forest close to the railway line.

Turning my attention to the MiG, which was above me, I managed to shoot at it as we raced towards each other. My aim was good and the fighter started to trail black smoke from the engine. He banked away to the east, losing altitude as it went. ”

On 27–28 March 1942, 3/LLv 24 moved to Immola in preparation for a Finnish Army offensive on Suursaari, in the Gulf of Finland. Although being grossly outnumbered over the Gulf of Finland, LeLv 24 pilots were more experienced than their Soviet opponents from Red Banner Baltic Fleet. Even when they had the advantage of surprise and height, Soviet pilots did not succeed in shooting down Finnish pilots.

On 28 March, WO Juutilainen, in patrol with Sgt Huotari, attacked some "Chaikas" of 11 IAP over the Suurkyla shoreline, at Gogland, and shot down two of them. These air victories took Juutilainen's tally to 22. A month later, on 26 April, he became his unit's first recipient of the Mannerheim Cross.

On 20 September, he took off with Capt Jorma Karhunen and 3/LeLv 24 pilots for a patrol of the Kronstadt-Tolbukhin[disambiguation needed]-Seiskari region. Near the Estonian coast, they were bounced by ten Soviet fighters. But the Finnish quickly reacted and managed to down three of their opponents. WO Juutilainen was credited with two kills.

All in all, Juutilainen scored 34 victories in Brewster B-239, 28 of them (including three triple kills) between 9 July 1941 and 22 November 1942, in his BW-364 "Orange 4".

In 1943, he was transferred to LeLv 34, which used new Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2s. With the Bf 109, he shot down a further 58 enemy planes.

He refused an officer commission, fearing it would keep him from flying.

His 94th and last victory was a Li-2, the Russian version of the Douglas C-47, shot down on 3 September 1944 over the Karelian Isthmus.

After the wars, he served in the air force until 1947. He worked as a professional pilot until 1956, flying people in his De Havilland Moth. His last flight was in 1997, in a double-seated F-18 Hornet of the Finnish Air Force.

Juutilainen died on his 85th birthday on 21 February 1999.

Epitomizing the elan and training that made the Ilmavoimat so formidable was Eino Ilmari Juutilainen, whose 94 official victories made him the Finnish ace of aces. In an exclusive interview with Military History editor Jon Guttman, "Illu" Juutilainen described his most notable exploits during the Winter War and in the Continuation War, as Finland called her participation in World War II as a co-belligerent rather than a formal ally of Germany.

Military History: Could you tell us about your prewar background?
Juutilainen: I was born in Lieksa on February 21, 1914, but I spent my childhood in Sortavala. As a teenager I was a member of the Volunteer Maritime Defense Association and we had a fine time sailing at the Laatokka Sea.
MH: What inspired you to take up flying?
Juutilainen: There was an Ilmavoimat base in the middle of our town, and it was a permanent source of interest for all of us youngsters. Many of us became pilots later - for example, my Winter War flight leader and Continuation War squadron commander, Eino "Eikka" Luukkanen. One important inspiration was a book about the Red Baron; Manfred von Richthofen, which my older brother gave me. I remember sitting by the upstairs window, dreaming about aerial maneuvers. I began my national service as an assistant mechanic in the 1st Separate Maritime Squadron from 1932 to 1933, then got a pilot's license in a civilian course. I then joined the Ilmavoimat as a noncommissioned officer and got my military pilot training in the Ilmasotakoulu (Air Force Academy) at Kauhava from 1935 to 1936. I had the opportunity to choose my first assignment, and on February 4, 1937, I went to LeLv (Lentolaivue, or air squadron) 12 at Suur-Merijoki Air Base near Viipuri. In 1938 I went to Utti Air Base and got one year of really tough fighter flying and shooting. Then, on March 3, 1939, I was assigned to LeLv 24, a fighter unit equipped with Dutch-built Fokker D.XXIs, at Utti Air Base.
MH: What was training like in the Ilmavoimat?
Juutilainen: The international trend in the early 1930's was to use a tight, three-plane formation, or "vic", as a basic fighter element. The fighter pilots in Finland knew that they would never get large numbers of fighters , and they considered the large tight formations ineffective. From studies conducted between 1934 - 1935, the Ilmavoimat developed a loose two-plane section as the basic fighter element. Divisions (four fighters) and flights (eight aircraft) were made of loose sections, but always maintaining the independence of the section. The distance between the fighters in the section was 150 - 200 meters, and the distance between sections in a division was 300 - 400 meters. The principle was always to attack, regardless of numbers; that way the larger enemy formation was broken up and combat became a sequence of section duels, in which the better pilots always won. Finnish fighter training heavily emphasized the complete handling of the fighter and shooting accuracy. Even basic training at the Air Force Academy included a lot of aerobatics with all the basic combat maneuvers and aerial gunnery.
MH: What were your feelings when the war broke out on November 30, 1939?
Juutilainen: I was mentally ready, because the signs had been so clear. Still, it was hard to believe that it was really true when we took off on our first intercept mission. I think in general the people were angry. We knew, of course, of Stalin's demands that we give the Soviet Union certain areas to improve Leningrad's security. And our answer was clear enough: No way! The nation's reaction to the war was not analytical - it was emotional. The feeling was, "When I die, there will be many enemies dying, too."
MH: What sort of preparation occurred?
Juutilainen: As the international situation worsened, our defense forces started so-called extra exercises in early October 1939. All fighters and weapons were checked, more ammunition belts loaded, and maintenance equipment and spare parts packed on the lorries to be ready to move. On October 11 we flew from Utti to Immola Air Base, which was nearer the border. Shelters were built for the fighters and we kept flying combat air patrols - careful to stay on our side, so that we didn't provoke the Soviets. The younger pilots got additional training in aerial combat and gunnery. During bad weather we indulged in sports, pistol shooting and discussions about fighter tactics. Our esprit de corps was high despite the fact that we would be up against heavy odds. We were ready.

MH: What was the Fokker D.XXI like to fly?
Juutilainen: It was our best fighter in 1939, but the Soviet Polikarpov I-16 was faster, had better agility and also had protective armor for the pilot. I flew later a war booty I-16, and it did 215 knots at low level and turned around a dime. I liked that plane. In comparison, the Fokker could make about 175. The D.XXI also lacked armor, but it had good diving characteristics and it was a steady shooting platform. I think that our gunnery training made the Fokker a winner in the Winter War.

MH: Can you describe your first fight?
Juutilainen: December 19, 1939, was the first real combat day after a long period of bad weather. I had some trouble starting my engine, and so I got a little behind the rest of my flight. When I was close to Antrea, I got a message of three enemy bombers approaching. After about half a minute, I saw three Ilyushin DB-3s approaching. I was about 1,500 feet above them and started the attack turn just like in gunnery camp at Käkisalmi. The DB-3s immediately dropped their bomb loads in the forest and turned back. I shot the three rear gunners, one by one. Then I started to shoot the engines. I followed them a long way and kept on shooting. One of them nosed over and crashed. The two others were holed like cheese graters but continued in a shallow, smoking descent. I had spent all of my ammunition, so I turned back. There was no special feeling of real combat. Everything went exactly like training.

MH: What were the circumstances of your 1/6 shared victory on December 23?
Juutilainen: At that time, Soviet bombers flew without fighter escort, and that was a typical situation when our flight attacked a formation of Tupolev SB-2s. Several of us shot at several targets, and the kills were then shared, because it was impossible to distinguish a decisive attack. Later, I stopped counting those shared cases and always gave my share to the younger pilot.

When the Spitfire came into firing range, I made a quick, controlled roll, stamping heavily on my rudder bar. My fighter slid heavily sideways, and I continued with a hard level turn of about 90 degrees. The enemy couldn't keep me in his gunsight, and at the end of the maneuver he was so close that he actually slid past me. I quickly turned back to my original heading and the Spitfire was in front of me, pulling up to the right. My speed was gone, but the range was short, about 70 yards. I aimed carefully and squeezed the trigger. The tracers hit the target like a whip, and the plane started to smoke heavily. Almost vertically and slightly inverted, it crashed into the sea. Then, almost immediately, another Spitfire arrived to avenge his comrade. I pushed the throttle open and the engine stopped! It was a really nasty feeling. The enemy plane came in above and behind at high speed, so I made a tight turn under its nose. The Spitfire couldn't turn with me and after a failed attack, continued its dive toward Lavansaari. I turned my plane toward the Estonian coast, intending to make an emergency landing. Then I noticed that when I didn't put the throttle in a full-power setting, the engine would cough back to life. I had again begun to climb toward my flight when a MiG attacked me at an impossible deflection angle. There was no need to even dodge. Then I saw a MiG-1 dive steeply toward the water, but it pulled up at the last moment. Now it was my turn to do the attacking. The MiG didn't seem to notice me at all and pulled up right in front of me. I had only to change my nose position slightly to line up the target, then I squeezed the trigger. The plane rolled over and went into the sea. When I again began my climb, I found our pilots controlling the area, and I joined them.

MH: What about their aircraft, including Western Allied Lend-Lease planes like the Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire or Curtiss Tomahawk?
Juutilainen: The I-16 was in the same category as the B-239. The Lavochkin-Gorbunov-Gudkov LaGG-3 was faster but not very agile. The Lavochkin La-5 and Yakolev Yak-9 were clearly better than the Brewster. The Hurricane was a rather easy opponent to deal with, especially at low level. No problems with the Tomahawk, either. The Spitfire, of course, was superior to the Brewster.
MH: Didn't you also shoot down a captured Heinkel He-111 that the Soviets tried to use for a clandestine mission?
Juutilainen: The He-111 incident happened on October 20, 1942. I was chasing a Pe-2 into a cloud over the Gulf of Finland when I suddenly came up behind a Heinkel. Of course, at first I thought it was a German plane, and I decided to let him be, but when the rear gunner began to fire at me, I decided to shoot back. It was then that I noticed there were no national emblems anywhere on the plane. After shooting the rear gunner I set both of its engines on fire. Three men bailed out of the plane's belly, but they all died in the cold water of the Gulf of Finland.

MH: You are also credited with a Lockheed P-38 Lightning on July 10, 1943 - along with two I-153s. What was a P-38 doing over Finland at that time?
Juutilainen: Our squadron's intelligence officer identified it only after I described it to him. Our radio intelligence guys told us later that the enemies we met that day were ferrying new fighters to Lavansaari and bringing old planes out. Maybe the Lightning's visit had something to do with that exchange. We didn't see them later.
MH: Another unusual plane on your victory list is the North American P-51 Mustang of which the Soviets received only 10. Could you describe your two encounters with the Mustangs?
Juutilainen: The only time we saw Mustangs was during the peak of the Soviet summer offensive of 1944. The Mustangs we met were older models, with Allison engines. On June 26 we had just been escorting Bristol Blenheim bombers and were returning over the front line when I saw a Mustang approaching me from my right side in a right turn with his belly toward me. I yanked the throttle to idle to let it slide past me. The Mustang pilot, however, recovered his turn and then saw me. He also pulled his throttle back, and I saw long flames backfiring from his exhaust pipes. He also kicked his rudder to slow down, but I was doing the same thing, and because I had started sooner than he, the Mustang slid right out in front of me. The Mustang pilot then went to full power and tried to shake me off his tail with a climbing turn. In so doing he made his last mistake and flew directly in front of my gunsight. I fired, and soon the Mustang was burning in the forest near Tammisuo. Two days later my section was returning from a reconnaissance mission and made the usual detour to have an aerial engagement before returning to base. Soon we saw an Il-2 formation coming toward us escorted by three Mustangs. One of them pulled left and the other two went into a dive. In a tight diving turn I went after the airplane that had broken left, firing short bursts to break the pilot's mental backbone. It worked, for he apparently got nervous and went into a dive. The pilot kicked his rudder, but much too rapidly, only causing the tail to waggle while his plane stayed rather comfortably in the middle of my sight. The target was at an altitude of about 150 feet when it caught fire and crashed into the tall pine trees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.