Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 304 of 423 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314354404 ... LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,600 of 10571

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.
    Perttime, as soon as I saw your name come up I knew the jig was up. Juutilainen is the highest scoring non-German ace of all time, with 94 victories in only 437 sorties. I was hoping to at least get in the fact that he shot down Spitfires, Hurricanes, Tomahawks, Heinkels, MiGs, etc. I thought that might confuse a few people, but you nailed it too soon. Okay, you're up; take it away. Thanks; Ernie P.
    I didn't see many others making any guesses... Unfortunately, you'd said enough that I didn't need to guess

OK: what aircraft?

1) it was designed as a fighter but mainly used as a trainer.
    2) it is almost unknown, even though well over 700 were produced.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Republic F-5?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: perttime

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.
    Perttime, as soon as I saw your name come up I knew the jig was up. Juutilainen is the highest scoring non-German ace of all time, with 94 victories in only 437 sorties. I was hoping to at least get in the fact that he shot down Spitfires, Hurricanes, Tomahawks, Heinkels, MiGs, etc. I thought that might confuse a few people, but you nailed it too soon. Okay, you're up; take it away. Thanks; Ernie P.
    I didn't see many others making any guesses... Unfortunately, you'd said enough that I didn't need to guess

OK: what aircraft?

How about the Hawk? Designed as a fighter/trainer; but may be too well known. Thanks; Ernie P.

The BAE Systems Hawk is a British single-engine, advanced jet trainer aircraft. It first flew in 1974 as the Hawker Siddeley Hawk, and subsequently produced by its successor companies, British Aerospace and BAE Systems, respectively. It has been used in a training capacity and as a low-cost combat aircraft.

Operators of the Hawk include the Royal Air Force, notably the Red Arrows aerial display team; as well a considerable number of foreign military operators. The Hawk is still in production with over 900 Hawks sold to 18 customers around the world.

This project was funded by the company as a private venture, in anticipation of possible RAF interest. The design was conceived of as having tandem seating and a combat capability in addition to training, as it was felt the latter would improve export sales potential. By the end of the year HSA had submitted a proposal to the Ministry of Defence based on the design concept, and in early 1970 the RAF issued Air Staff Target (AST) 397 which formalised the requirement for new trainers of this type. The RAF selected the HS.1182 for their requirement on 1 October 1971 and the principal contract, for 175 aircraft, was signed in March 1972.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope.

what aircraft?

3) it was quite agile and climbed well, but it was slow compared with competing designs.
    4) it was used as a fighter/interceptor but, apparently, never scored any victories.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pc9
    \"any crash you can walk away from is a good crash\" Launch pad Mcquack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not PC-9 either

what aircraft?

3) it was quite agile and climbed well, but it was slow compared with competing designs.
    4) it was used as a fighter/interceptor but, apparently, never scored any victories.

5) both single-seat and two-seat versions were produced.
    6) when guns were fitted, they were 7.7 mm machineguns.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the IMAM Ro.41?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

the IMAM Ro.41?
    IMAM Ro.41 is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAM_Ro.41

The IMAM Ro.41 was an Italian light biplane fighter aircraft, serving in the Regia Aeronautica in the 1930s-1940s, mainly as a trainer.

This aircraft was designed as a fighter, but was underpowered even by mid-1930s standards. It resembled a small I-15, and was fairly agile. On tests it was able to reach an altitude of 1,000 metres in 1 minutes 32 seconds, 3,000 m in 3 min 47 sec, and 5,000 m in 7 min 34 sec, which was a much better climb rate than the standard Italian fighter, the Fiat CR.32 (3,000 m in 5 min 10 sec). It was also more manoeuvrable than the CR.32, and cost significantly less. However, a top speed of only 320 km/h was far too slow to make the Ro.41 a credible fighter

... The Ro.41 was the first post-war aircraft to enter production when an order was sent to Agusta for 15 new aircraft (5 single and 10 two-seaters) and later ten more (7 single and 3 two-seaters).

Your turn, SimonCraig1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo41497.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	1820304  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Changing subjects, I'm looking for a pilot.

1. He started his aviation career as an observer, before becoming a flight instructor then ultimately a fighter pilot.
    2. His most famous exploit was an ultimate failure that almost cost him his life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1. He started his aviation career as an observer, before becoming a flight instructor then ultimately a fighter pilot.
    2. His most famous exploit was a failure that almost cost him his life.
    3. He was shot down again towards the end of the war and taken prisoner.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

4. Still captive nine months after the end of hostilities he escaped and reach freedom in Switzerland where he lived the rest of his life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

another clue as I will be offline for a while....

I'm looking for a pilot.

4. Still captive nine months after the end of hostilities he escaped and reach freedom in Switzerland where he lived the rest of his life.
    5. On capture he was chagrined to learn that despite being an expert pilot, he was a rookie pilot's first victory.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fritz Beckhardt?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

another clue as I will be offline for a while....

I'm looking for a pilot.

5. On capture he was chagrined to learn that despite being an expert pilot, he was a rookie pilot's first victory.
    I must be getting old. As soon as you posted the first couple of clues, I thought "I just read about this guy". Then it took half the day to remember where I read it. Carl Menckhoff, who nearly lost his life trying to help Werner Voss in his epic battle of 23 September, 1917; when he took on seven of Britain's best pilots. "B Flight" of 56 Squadron? Thanks; Ernie P.

Carl Menckhoff (14 April 1883 - 11 January 1948) was a German First World War fighter ace, credited with 39 confirmed victories. Already in his 30s when he learned to fly, he was one of the oldest pilots in the Imperial German Air Service. He transferred from infantry service to aviation as a non-commissioned officer, he succeeded in becoming commissioned as an officer. He won the Blue Max and was given a squadron command.

Having fallen prisoner on 25 June 1918, he languished incarcerated until August 1919; he then escaped into Switzerland. He succeeded in business and remained there for the rest of his life.

Menckhoff was born in Herford, Westphalia, in the Kingdom of Prussia. He reported for his compulsory military service at age 20 in 1903, but was invalided out within six weeks when he contracted appendicitis.

In August 1914, when he was 31, Menckoff enlisted in Infantry Regiment Nr. 106. He was wounded several times and received the Iron Cross First Class and Second Class for gallantry, both by the end of 1914.

Left unfit for infantry service by his injuries, Menckhoff applied for transfer to the Luftstreitkrafte. He was at first an observer on the Eastern Front, where he gained useful flying experience but little experience of combat. In 1916 he became a flight instructor, and the following year, as a Vizefeldwebel (staff sergeant), he was assigned as a fighter pilot to Jagdstaffel 3, stationed in France and equipped with the Albatros D.III.

He scored his first victory on 5 April 1917, downing a Nieuport 17 of No. 29 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps, flown by Lieutenant Norman Birks. The victories began to mount rapidly after that, though Menckhoff often returned from victorious flights shaken by his triumphs.

Menckhoff was shot down several times, but always returned to duty. On 23 September 1917, he rushed to the aid of Werner Voss during the latter's battle against an overwhelming force from the Royal Flying Corps. Lieutenant Arthur Rhys Davids turned from engaging Voss and damaged Menckhoff's Albatros so badly that he had to crash land it. Rhys Davids then shot down Voss.

Menckhoff fought planes of No. 56 Squadron again on 28 September, and again had to crash land. Nevertheless, his victories totalled 20 by 4 February 1918. One week later, he was assigned command of Saxon Jagdstaffel 72 as its initial StaffelfΓΌhrer. His leadership style conserved his men's lives and the squadron's subsequent 60 victories were claimed with the loss of only one of its own pilots. The number of aircraft lost by his unit during this time is unknown.

On 23 April 1918, he was awarded Germany's highest decoration for valor, the Pour le Merite, his victory total having reached 25.

On 25 July, however, three days after his thirty-ninth victory, Menckhoff was shot down by Lieutenant Walter Avery of the 95th Aero Squadron, United States Air Service while the German ace was piloting one of his two Fokker D.VIIs. Captured by French troops at the crash site, Menckhoff was chagrined to learn that he was a rookie pilot's first victory. Avery cut the letter "M" from the crashed Fokker, but sportingly refused to deprive him of his Pour le Merite.

Following interrogation, Menckhoff was held as a prisoner of war, along with many other German pilots, at Camp Montoire, near OrlΓ©ans.

Menckhoff remained a prisoner long after the war ended in November 1918. Despairing of his release, he finally escaped on 23 August 1919, and managed to reach Switzerland. He remained there for the rest of his life, becoming a successful businessman. He raised a family, but never talked about the war. Carl Menckhoff died in Switzerland in 1948.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spot on and you are up Ernie!

A bit more on his final sortie can be found here:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ne...shot-down.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spot on and you are up Ernie!

A bit more on his final sortie can be found here:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ne...shot-down.html
    Thank you, Sir. Unfortunately, my plans for the next several days have just changed. I will be leaving town in a couple of hours and won't be available here until next Thursday. I'd appreciate it if one of you nice folks would stand in for me and ask the next question. Perhaps we have a lurker who hasn't had the opportunity to ask a question? How about we leave it to a new questioner for the next 12 hours; and if no new questioner steps forward, then open it up for anyone else who has a question? First come, etc. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Something to keep going...

What aircraft?

1) two-seater
    2) lightly armed
    3) typically for the manufacturer, it was named after a type of wind

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What aircraft?

1) two-seater
    2) lightly armed

4) it used war surplus engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1) two-seater
    2) lightly armed

5) there were no export sales
    6) the press made a big deal out of its accident rates
    7) the accident rates were actually not much different from those of any other military aircraft of the time

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1) two-seater
    2) lightly armed
    7) the accident rates were actually not much different from those of any other military aircraft of the time

8) The engines came from a WW2 Allied bomber design. I'm told the tail wheels were taken from a WW2 Axis fighter design.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1) two-seater
    2) lightly armed
    8) The engines came from a WW2 Allied bomber design. I'm told the tail wheels were taken from a WW2 Axis fighter design.

9) it was an "advanced trainer"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnnyS

Valmet Vihuri?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_Vihuri
    Valmet Vihuri is correct!
    "two-seat fighter trainer aircraft, serving in the Finnish Air Force between 1953 and 1959"

Your turn, JohnnyS

Some speculate that its bad press helped with getting the Fouga Magister as a replacement. One comment about its beginnings went something like this: "Go and see what we have in the surplus stores and design a trainer around that."

Here's an Airliners.net photo of the one surviving complete airframe:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22640.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	392.5 KB 
ID:	1822063  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://i0.wp.com/urlybits.com/wp-con...size=600%2C726

New plane:

1. Biplane.

2. Torpedo bomber.

3. Fixed landing gear.

4. Two man crew.

5. This aircraft won its design competition.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ha!
    When Finland's president Kekkonen was visiting USSR in 1960, Chairman Khrushchev asked him how many soldiers he could raise. Kekkonen: "About half a million". Khrushchev: "But what would you do if I sent a million against them?" Kekkonen: "I'd give everybody a second bullet." (I don't think anyone can prove that this really happened)