RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 AM
  #8051
glazier808
 
glazier808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Honolulu , HI
Posts: 3,985
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

They flew it at altitude to the men in kegs hung under the wing like droptanks. This was said to keep it quite cold.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spitfire+beer+kegs&hl=en&client=safari&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Lx8uUeXdH-iiiQLBqoG4Ag&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=768&bih=900



Casey
glazier808 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 AM
  #8052
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz


Quote:
ORIGINAL: glazier808

They flew it at altitude to the men in kegs hung under the wing like droptanks. This was said to keep it quite cold.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spitfire+beer+kegs&hl=en&client=safari&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Lx8uUeXdH-iiiQLBqoG4Ag&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=768&bih=900



Casey
No, Sir. Yes, that was a method used; but it isn't the method I'm referencing. This method was performed on the ground and didn't involve using the aircraft. Thanks; Ernie P.


Question: How did aircraft maintenance crews cool canned beer in WWII?

Clues:

(1) No ice was available; and the fire extinguishers were all needed for their intended use.

(2) This method cooled relatively large quantities of beer very quickly.

(3) This method was performed on the ground, and did not involve the aircraft directly.

(4) This method was used in the Pacific by US crews.

(5) It involved gasoline.

(6) It involved a 55 (or similar) gallon drum.

(7) It involved an aircraft tire valve.

Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
  #8053
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

I thought our science whizzes would have figured this one out by now. This should do it. Thanks; Ernie P.


Question: How did aircraft maintenance crews cool canned beer in WWII?

Clues:

(1) No ice was available; and the fire extinguishers were all needed for their intended use.

(2) This method cooled relatively large quantities of beer very quickly.

(3) This method was performed on the ground, and did not involve the aircraft directly.

(4) This method was used in the Pacific by US crews.

(5) It involved gasoline.

(6) It involved a 55 (or similar) gallon drum.

(7) It involved an aircraft tire valve.

(8) It involved a compressor.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM
  #8054
AZThud
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Litchfield Park, AZ
Posts: 206
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz


Releasing compressed air rapidly would create cold air, I suppose if the released air were contained in a drum that was filled with beer the air in the drum would be cold and then subsequently chill the beer, now were does the fuel fit in ........

Cheers
AZThud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM
  #8055
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz


Quote:
ORIGINAL: AZThud


Releasing compressed air rapidly would create cold air, I suppose if the released air were contained in a drum that was filled with beer the air in the drum would be cold and then subsequently chill the beer, now were does the fuel fit in ........

Cheers

You're on the right track; but just a bit more science was involved. Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
  #8056
proptop
 
proptop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rome, NY
Posts: 6,943
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Was the 55 gal. drum buried in the sand ?
There was an episode of Mythbusters...but all they got was gas flavored beer...[:'(]
Granted, they just put a six pack under the sand, then poured some gas over it and lit it on fire...

My guess is the air flow would help pull a draft...and the drum would keep the gas from actual contact w/ the beer cans?
proptop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 PM
  #8057
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Quote:
ORIGINAL: proptop

Was the 55 gal. drum buried in the sand ?
There was an episode of Mythbusters...but all they got was gas flavored beer...[:'(]
Granted, they just put a six pack under the sand, then poured some gas over it and lit it on fire...

My guess is the air flow would help pull a draft...and the drum would keep the gas from actual contact w/ the beer cans?

Nope... the drum wasn't buried. You have to think it through a bit further. I know the burning gas on sand thing won't work; and never even thought it might; but this method was reported by observers on the spot. Apparently, I'm not the only one who was or will be impressed by the method used. Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM
  #8058
SimonCraig1
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hilo, HI
Posts: 474
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

How about this... you briefly dip the beer can in the gas then use the compressed air to evaporate the gas on the beer can which will cool the beer?
SimonCraig1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 AM
  #8059
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

How about this... you briefly dip the beer can in the gas then use the compressed air to evaporate the gas on the beer can which will cool the beer?

You're on the right track, SimonCraig1. But this method of cooling could cool a lot of beer quickly, not just one can at a time. Thanks; Ernie P.


Question: How did aircraft maintenance crews cool canned beer in WWII?

Clues:

(1) No ice was available; and the fire extinguishers were all needed for their intended use.

(2) This method cooled relatively large quantities of beer very quickly.

(3) This method was performed on the ground, and did not involve the aircraft directly.

(4) This method was used in the Pacific by US crews.

(5) It involved gasoline.

(6) It involved a 55 (or similar) gallon drum.

(7) It involved an aircraft tire valve.

(8) It involved a compressor.

(9) First, the drum was filled with cans of beer.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM
  #8060
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.


Question: How did aircraft maintenance crews cool canned beer in WWII?

Clues:

(1) No ice was available; and the fire extinguishers were all needed for their intended use.

(2) This method cooled relatively large quantities of beer very quickly.

(3) This method was performed on the ground, and did not involve the aircraft directly.

(4) This method was used in the Pacific by US crews.

(5) It involved gasoline.

(6) It involved a 55 (or similar) gallon drum.

(7) It involved an aircraft tire valve.

(8) It involved a compressor.

(9) First, the drum was filled with cans of beer.

(10) Then, the drum was topped off with aviation gas.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
  #8061
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

And an evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.


Question: How did aircraft maintenance crews cool canned beer in WWII?

Clues:

(1) No ice was available; and the fire extinguishers were all needed for their intended use.

(2) This method cooled relatively large quantities of beer very quickly.

(3) This method was performed on the ground, and did not involve the aircraft directly.

(4) This method was used in the Pacific by US crews.

(5) It involved gasoline.

(6) It involved a 55 (or similar) gallon drum.

(7) It involved an aircraft tire valve.

(8) It involved a compressor.

(9) First, the drum was filled with cans of beer.

(10) Then, the drum was topped off with aviation gas.

(11) Next, the lid was securely attached to the drum.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM
  #8062
wphilb
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nolensville, TN
Posts: 512
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Ok,

So you compress the gas with the compressor, and then allow it to escape through the valve. The aviation gas changes from a liquid to a vapor which is a change of state, you need heat for this to happen so the heat is pulled from the beer cans and thus cools the beer. Open the drum and rinse off the beer cans. Drink.

Whit

If I'm right I don't have a clue of a good question.... 
wphilb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 AM
  #8063
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz


Quote:
ORIGINAL: wphilb

Ok,

So you compress the gas with the compressor, and then allow it to escape through the valve. The aviation gas changes from a liquid to a vapor which is a change of state, you need heat for this to happen so the heat is pulled from the beer cans and thus cools the beer. Open the drum and rinse off the beer cans. Drink.

Whit

If I'm right I don't have a clue of a good question....

Close enough, wphilb. Well, you can't compress a liquid; but they did pressurise the drum through the air valve. When they released the pressure, the air and gasoline escaped. The gas vaporized and cooled the beer. No, they didn't wash off the beer cans; not enough fresh water was available. The beer smelled like gas, of course; but it was cold beer in an area where nothing else was cold. Things were pretty Spartan on the Pacific islands in WWII; and I personally am really impressed with how ingenious the aircraft maintenance crews were. Plus, their method of cooling beer shows a pretty fair understanding of basic physics.

You said you didn't have a question; but since the whole idea was to buy some time for Zippome to get his question ready, I think we should have succeeded. We've bought him over three days and he should be ready now. My question was just intended to be a silly way of marking time; but you have to admit it did have a warbird connection.

Okay, Zippome; if you aren't ready with a question now, we'll just have to move on. Over to you, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM
  #8064
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Ernie P.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: wphilb

Ok,

So you compress the gas with the compressor, and then allow it to escape through the valve. The aviation gas changes from a liquid to a vapor which is a change of state, you need heat for this to happen so the heat is pulled from the beer cans and thus cools the beer. Open the drum and rinse off the beer cans. Drink.

Whit

If I'm right I don't have a clue of a good question....

Close enough, wphilb. Well, you can't compress a liquid; but they did pressurise the drum through the air valve. When they released the pressure, the air and gasoline escaped. The gas vaporized and cooled the beer. No, they didn't wash off the beer cans; not enough fresh water was available. The beer smelled like gas, of course; but it was cold beer in an area where nothing else was cold. Things were pretty Spartan on the Pacific islands in WWII; and I personally am really impressed with how ingenious the aircraft maintenance crews were. Plus, their method of cooling beer shows a pretty fair understanding of basic physics.

You said you didn't have a question; but since the whole idea was to buy some time for Zippome to get his question ready, I think we should have succeeded. We've bought him over three days and he should be ready now. My question was just intended to be a silly way of marking time; but you have to admit it did have a warbird connection.

Okay, Zippome; if you aren't ready with a question now, we'll just have to move on. Over to you, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

Zip;

Are you ready to post your question? If not, we will have to move on. Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM
  #8065
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Zip;

Last chance... Are you ready to post your question? If not, I'll toss it to wphilb for his correct answer. Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:25 PM
  #8066
zippome
 
zippome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 394
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Ok guys. here we go..
1. Twin engined
2. Monoplane.
3. Never saw combat, but was considered effictive in it's role.

ok, that should start us off...
Thanks,
Zip
zippome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 AM
  #8067
zippome
 
zippome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 394
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz



Ok guys. here we go..
1. Twin engined
2. Monoplane.
3. Never saw combat, but was considered effictive in it's role.
4. Deployed by 2 nations.
5. It had 2 main variants.
6.Testing began in 1952.
7. withdrawn from service in 1972.
Thanks,
Zip

zippome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 PM
  #8068
zippome
 
zippome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 394
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Still nothing?

1. Twin engined
2. Monoplane.
3. Never saw combat, but was considered effictive in it's role.
4. Deployed by 2 nations.
5. It had 2 main variants.
6.Testing began in 1952.
7. withdrawn from service in 1972.
8. It was a new type of interceptor.

Thanks,
Zip
zippome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 AM
  #8069
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz


Quote:
ORIGINAL: zippome

Still nothing?

1. Twin engined
2. Monoplane.
3. Never saw combat, but was considered effictive in it's role.
4. Deployed by 2 nations.
5. It had 2 main variants.
6.Testing began in 1952.
7. withdrawn from service in 1972.
8. It was a new type of interceptor.

Thanks,
Zip
I don't want you to feel lonely, Zip. I can't quite match up the dates, but how about the CF-100 Canuck? Thanks; Ernie P.


The Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck (affectionately known as the "Clunk") was a Canadian jet interceptor/fighter serving during the Cold War both in NATO bases in Europe and as part of NORAD. The CF-100 was the only Canadian-designed fighter to enter mass production, serving primarily with the RCAF/CAF and in small numbers in Belgium. For its day, the CF-100 featured a short takeoff run and high climb rate, making it well suited to its role as an interceptor.

In the early 1950s, Canada needed an all-weather interceptor (fighter) able to patrol the vast areas of Canada's north and operate in all weather conditions. The two-seat fighter crewed by a pilot and navigator was designed with two powerful engines and an advanced radar and fire control system housed in its nose that enabled it to fly in all-weather or night conditions.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM
  #8070
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz


Quote:
ORIGINAL: zippome

Still nothing?

1. Twin engined
2. Monoplane.
3. Never saw combat, but was considered effictive in it's role.
4. Deployed by 2 nations.
5. It had 2 main variants.
6.Testing began in 1952.
7. withdrawn from service in 1972.
8. It was a new type of interceptor.

Thanks,
Zip
Zip;

You still with us? Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 AM
  #8071
JohnnyS
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, ON, CANADA
Posts: 586
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

I think this is a better fit: The dates are closer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sud_Aviation_Vautour
JohnnyS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:18 AM
  #8072
Ernie P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bealeton, VA
Posts: 4,202
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz


Quote:
ORIGINAL: JohnnyS

I think this is a better fit: The dates are closer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sud_Aviation_Vautour

Yeah, I agree the dates are closer. But I discounted the Vautour because the Israelis most assuredly took them into combat. But those two were the only good candidates I could think of. It was a close thing as to which I used first. So... you may well be correct. Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM
  #8073
JohnnyS
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, ON, CANADA
Posts: 586
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Ah, I missed that. However, it never saw combat in France, although it did in Israel. I suspect we're both wrong.
JohnnyS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 PM
  #8074
zippome
 
zippome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 394
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

1. Twin engined
2. Monoplane.
3. Never saw combat, but was considered effictive in it's role.
4. Deployed by 2 nations.
5. It had 2 main variants.
6.Testing began in 1952.
7. withdrawn from service in 1972.
8. It was a new type of interceptor.
9.I admit that I went "outside the box" on this question, and may prove to be a bit controversial.
10. It did not see combat, but it did help in the fall of a ruling government.

Thanks,
Zip



zippome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 AM
  #8075
adavis
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 455
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Bomarc?

Best Regards,
=Adrian=
adavis is offline  
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:12 AM.