Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 374 of 423 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384 ... LastLast
Results 9,326 to 9,350 of 10570

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    XB-42 Mixmaster is correct!

Strange name for an aircraft, sounds like it would be more at home in the kitchen than on a runway!

Nevertheless an unusual and promising aircraft which, like so many, came to an end with the end of the war and the advent of jets.

Ernie, you are up!

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'll tell you what, I have never seen the XB-42 Mixmaster before (that's why I'm loving this thread. I'm learning something new all the time.). But after I saw Ernie's answer I was mesmerized. What an interesting plane. Man that would make a really cool RC subject if the engineering could be worked out!!!! It's had me thinking all morning long, and i've been sketching on paper all morning to see if maybe it would be possible to build one!!! I know that Evin Quiros had a Dornier 335 that had a internal engine that ran a pusher prop (unfortunately I filmed the demise of the plane) so the engineering is possible. really have to think this one over!!!!

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    i tripped over this one researching for another question. Didn't fit the clues so I stored it away for future use.

Looks like a 4 point landing would be all too easy to achieve!

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I was thinking that your landings would have to be perfect ever time or your going to have tail damage. and reading the wiki on it they say that was what happened to one of the prototypes on a hard landing.

ken
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Redback View Post
    XB-42 Mixmaster is correct!

Strange name for an aircraft, sounds like it would be more at home in the kitchen than on a runway!

Nevertheless an unusual and promising aircraft which, like so many, came to an end with the end of the war and the advent of jets.

Ernie, you are up!

Terry
    Thank you, Sir! I hope this will keep every one entertained. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What famed aviator designer do I describe?

Clues:

(1) He began as a world famous pilot; and won or placed highly in several international competitions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RCKen View Post
    I'll tell you what, I have never seen the XB-42 Mixmaster before (that's why I'm loving this thread. I'm learning something new all the time.). But after I saw Ernie's answer I was mesmerized. What an interesting plane. Man that would make a really cool RC subject if the engineering could be worked out!!!! It's had me thinking all morning long, and i've been sketching on paper all morning to see if maybe it would be possible to build one!!! I know that Evin Quiros had a Dornier 335 that had a internal engine that ran a pusher prop (unfortunately I filmed the demise of the plane) so the engineering is possible. really have to think this one over!!!!

Ken
    I'd suggest you go with an electric moror, and keep the batteries and electrics as far forward as possible. The contra rotating propellers will be the big problem. Maybe have the forward (inner) propeller drive the plane, and have the rear propeller windmill? It won't be easy. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Late night clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) He began as a world famous pilot; and won or placed highly in several international competitions.

(2) Then he became an aircraft designer. He began work with a couple of noted aircraft companies, then switched to a newly reconstituted, and famous, company; which already had the services of another pre-eminent designer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) Then he became an aircraft designer. He began work with a couple of noted aircraft companies, then switched to a newly reconstituted, and famous, company; which already had the services of another pre-eminent designer.

(3) He assisted in the design of a famed commercial airplane; one which was the basis for an iconic aircraft known to all warbird enthusiasts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    And a mid-morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(3) He assisted in the design of a famed commercial airplane; one which was the basis for an iconic aircraft known to all warbird enthusiasts.

(4) Then he became the chief designer for the company, and headed the team of designers working on a new project. This aircraft was not particularly successful in its original role, but was far more successful in follow on uses. It remained in every day use and production for a long time, for the period.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Afternoon clue (A bit early). Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) Then he became the chief designer for the company, and headed the team of designers working on a new project. This aircraft was not particularly successful in its original role, but was far more successful in follow on uses. It remained in every day use and production for a long time, for the period.

(5) He then moved to another, competitor, company. There he worked on a seminal aircraft which was not to see production; but one which was ground breaking in its design.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Late afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) He then moved to another, competitor, company. There he worked on a seminal aircraft which was not to see production; but one which was ground breaking in its design.

(6) He then designed another aircraft. This one, which was initially considered to be too complicated and too filled with innovative ideas, was not put into production. This lead to his being fired by the man “whose name is on the door”; although a simplified version of his design was later put into limited production and considered to be a great aircraft.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    And an evening clue before I go try to find the snow shovel. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) He then designed another aircraft. This one, which was initially considered to be too complicated and too filled with innovative ideas, was not put into production. This lead to his being fired by the man “whose name is on the door”; although a simplified version of his design was later put into limited production and considered to be a great aircraft.

(7) After being abruptly fired, he moved to yet another aircraft manufacturer, where he worked on a collaborative effort between the aircraft manufacturer and an engine company. This work lead him into a famous rivalry with a very well known aerospace designer; a rivalry which would last for many years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hugh L. Dryden???

Ken
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RCKen View Post
    Hugh L. Dryden???

Ken

No; not Dryden. But here's another clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(7) After being abruptly fired, he moved to yet another aircraft manufacturer, where he worked on a collaborative effort between the aircraft manufacturer and an engine company. This work lead him into a famous rivalry with a very well known aerospace designer; a rivalry which would last for many years.

(8) Although the ground breaking research and design effort in which he was involved (7) was at first troublesome, he eventually discovered a flaw in the wing design. After correcting that, the design worked; as any modern History book will attest.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) Although the ground breaking research and design effort in which he was involved (7) was at first troublesome, he eventually discovered a flaw in the wing design. After correcting that, the design worked; as any modern History book will attest.

(9) After the end of the war in which he gained such exposure, he moved to the United States to work with his main rival. He developed a method of predicting system reliability which today is considered a law in the field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    A late morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) After the end of the war in which he gained such exposure, he moved to the United States to work with his main rival. He developed a method of predicting system reliability which today is considered a law in the field.

(10) He then returned to his home country; working for one of the companies for which he had previously served as a designer. There, he predicted problems with that country’s modifications to a famous fighter aircraft; which was borne out in subsequent years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Afternoon clue. Not a lot of suitable clues left. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(10) He then returned to his home country; working for one of the companies for which he had previously served as a designer. There, he predicted problems with that country’s modifications to a famous fighter aircraft; which was borne out in subsequent years.

(11) Strangely enough, one of his more famous inventions came about because of his interest in a sport; and an injury he suffered while practicing the sport. He designed new equipment, which is in common use even today; and started a sports equipment company which was a major manufacturer within its field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Late afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) Strangely enough, one of his more famous inventions came about because of his interest in a sport; and an injury he suffered while practicing the sport. He designed new equipment, which is in common use even today; and started a sports equipment company which was a major manufacturer within its field.

(12) Oddly (To my mind), I can find no record of his having served in WWI; although he was definitely old enough to have done so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(12) Oddly (To my mind), I can find no record of his having served in WWI; although he was definitely old enough to have done so.

(13) His life and career literally stretched from the dawn of flight and aerial fighting to the genesis of the space age and its greatest accomplishments.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Things I leaned chasing this question:

Kurt Tank and Willi Messerschmidt were born the same year (1898)

Lancaster designer Roy Chadwick was killed in a crash caused by reversed ailerons

Still don't have the answer though.

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Things I leaned chasing this question:

Kurt Tank and Willi Messerschmidt were born the same year (1898)

Lancaster designer Roy Chadwick was killed in a crash caused by reversed ailerons

Still don't have the answer though.

Terry

Redback; you are probably closer to the answer than you think. Keep trying; and here's a late night clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(13) His life and career literally stretched from the dawn of flight and aerial fighting to the genesis of the space age and its greatest accomplishments.

(14) He did a reliability study of adaptations being made to license-built F-104 fighters. The study was initially considered to be alarming; and later prophetic.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK Ernie, now I have it (or at least Google and I have it!!!)

Might take a leaf out of your book and let it stew for a bit longer, especially as I don't have a question handy!

Terry
    Last edited by Redback; 02-13-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK Ernie, now I have it (or at least Google and I have it!!!)

Might take a leaf out of your book and let it stew for a bit longer, especially as I don't have a question handy!

Terry

Well, I predict some one will post a correct answer today. From here on out the clues will, as they must, become increasingly transparent. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(14) He did a reliability study of adaptations being made to license-built F-104 fighters. The study was initially considered to be alarming; and later prophetic.

(15) After his stint as a competitive aviator, he worked with the Klemm Light Aircraft Company. Then he moved to Heinkel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I suspect more than one of you already know the answer; but here is an afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(15) After his stint as a competitive aviator, he worked with the Klemm Light Aircraft Company. Then he moved to Heinkel.

(16) From there, he moved to the Bavarian Aircraft Works before returning to Heinkel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Evening clue. After this, the clues will become more and more obvious. I'm leaving for a week's travel tomorrow morning, so some one will have to take over. But then again, I can't keep you guys outfoxed for much longer. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(16) From there, he moved to the Bavarian Aircraft Works before returning to Heinkel.

(17) From there, he moved to Fieseler.