Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 395 of 460 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445 ... LastLast
Results 9,851 to 9,875 of 11498

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Today's clue:

Looking for a pilot. This may be a tough one, because

1. He doesn't have a Wikipedia page, either in English or in his native language.

2. Which seems odd, as he set a number of records.

3. And he probably achieved one aviation "first," which saved his life fairly early in his career. (The "probably" is because it is conceivable, though unlikely, that someone else did the same thing earlier and it was never publicized.)
    Al Gunn
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood No. 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Today's clue:

1. He doesn't have a Wikipedia page, either in English or in his native language.

3. And he probably achieved one aviation "first," which saved his life fairly early in his career. (The "probably" is because it is conceivable, though unlikely, that someone else did the same thing earlier and it was never publicized.)

4. He was a civilian, but he was given an honorary military rank and awarded a medal.
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Gunn View Post
    Today's clue:

4. He was a civilian, but he was given an honorary military rank and awarded a medal.

Top_Gunn; please confirm your first clue (clue 1.) is correct. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Today's clue:

5. A test pilot, he flew more than 90 different aircraft.
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Top_Gunn; please confirm your first clue (clue 1.) is correct. Thanks; Ernie P.
    It's correct. (I should probably have said "the language of his country" rather than "his native language," but I have no reason to think they are different.)
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Today's clue:

6. While studying for a degree in engineering, he worked in the making of a motion picture as a tow pilot for a glider.
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Today's clue:

6. While studying for a degree in engineering, he worked in the making of a motion picture as a tow pilot for a glider.

7. Ernst Udet was one of the pilots he towed. Udet liked his flying and recommended him to a manufacturer as its company test pilot.
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Today's clue:

7. Ernst Udet was one of the pilots he towed. Udet liked his flying and recommended him to a manufacturer as its company test pilot.

8. Some of his flights were indoors. He said this was easier than flying outside, as there was no wind.
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Is "he" , actually a "She"?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sorry, double post.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    [QUOTE]Is "he" , actually a "She"? [/QUOTE]

No, but you're getting close! She flew the same aircraft indoors that he did.

Today's clue:

8. Some of his flights were indoors. He said this was easier than flying outside, as there was no wind.

9. After the war, he worked as a motorcycle repairman for a while. And, for a couple of years, he moved to Switzerland and worked as a helicopter pilot.
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    [QUOTE]Is "he" , actually a "She"?
    No, but you're getting close! She flew the same aircraft indoors that he did.

Today's clue:

9. After the war, he worked as a motorcycle repairman for a while. And, for a couple of years, he moved to Switzerland and worked as a helicopter pilot.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I know which pilot you're talking about; even though I can't verify all your clues. Clue (8) was the final giveaway, and I'll post a response if no one else steps up today. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Like Ernie I have not been able to confirm all the clues, however Ewald Rohlfs seems to be a good fit.

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ewald Rohlfs is a very good guess (though he does have a very brief Wikipedia page in English, and a somewhat longer one in German). But he's not the pilot I am looking for. You've definitely earned another clue, though. So:

9. After the war, he worked as a motorcycle repairman for a while. And, for a couple of years, he moved to Switzerland and worked as a helicopter pilot.

10. In the late 1930s he set helicopter records for distance and altitude.
    Last edited by Top_Gunn; 06-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Gonna try again!! Karl Bode?

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Redback View Post
    Gonna try again!! Karl Bode?

Terry
    That was my guess, Terry. Now let's see if we were right. I couldn't match up all the clues, but quite a few fit perfectly. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Carl (or Karl, as sources differ) Bode it is! According to Ewald Rohlfs' German Wikipedia page, Bode and Hanna Reitsch succeeded Rohlfs as the pilots of the Fw-61 helicopter when Rohlfs took on the job of test flying the prototypes of the Fw-187 and Fw-190. Among his other achievements, Bode seems to have been the first person to make a parachute jump from a helicopter. One reason Rohlfs was a very good guess is that his German Wikipedia page has Bode's name in red (perhaps because Bode has no page of his own).

For more, see

http://paralympic-ph.com/germanvtol/carlbode.php

Good job, guys! And just in time, as I was running out of stuff I knew about Bode. You're up again, Terry.
    Last edited by Top_Gunn; 07-01-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    Al Gunn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Carl (or Karl, as sources differ) Bode it is! According to Ewald Rohlfs' German Wikipedia page, Bode and Hanna Reitsch succeeded Rohlfs as the pilots of the Fw-61 helicopter when Rohlfs took on the job of test flying the prototypes of the Fw-187 and Fw-190. Among his other achievements, Bode seems to have been the first person to make a parachute jump from a helicopter. One reason Rohlfs was a very good guess is that his German Wikipedia page has Bode's name in red (perhaps because Bode has no page of his own).

For more, see

http://paralympic-ph.com/germanvtol/carlbode.php

Good job, guys! And just in time, as I was running out of stuff I knew about Bode. You're up again, Terry.

I'd come up with the below. But I wasn't aware he had parachuted from a helicopter. Thanks; Ernie P.

Carl (or Karl) Bode was born in Kiel/Germany on the 25th of February 1911. After the compulsory school he graduated as an engineer in the high technical institute of Hannover. Much later he started his activity as an airplane test pilot for various German builders. His career as a helicopter pilot started in September 1937. In that period in fact the newly founded Focke-Wulf company, builder of the famous FW 61 helicopter (which is is usually considered the first helicopter capable to perform all the classic manoeuvres of this aerodyne), was looking for a new test pilot. Bode accepted the offer and continued the test flights of the prototype. In 1938 inside the Deutschlandhalle of Berlin he became the first pilot to fly indoor. With this prototype he established numerous records, walloping those precedently set. On the 20th of June 1938 he flew non-stop for 230 km and on the 29th of January 1939 he set an altitude record climbing to 3'427 meters. Despite some accidents during the tests, the success of the flights was evident. For these reasons the German company started the construction of a larger helicopter known as FA 223 Drache (Dragon). The first prototype was tested by Bode in August 1940. As its predecessor the Drache had a side-by-side rotor configuration.

During the test flights of the new helicopter Bode was again victim of some accidents which ended fortunately without serious consequences for him.
    With this helicopter he transported passengers, materials, light vehicles, armaments, parts of aeroplanes victim of emergency landings. The Drache could be equipped with doubles controls and used for the training of the pilots. During the war he also flew with the small autogyro FA 330 Bachstelze towed by an U-Boot and the Focke FA 225, an experimental autogyro which could carry nine soldiers and was towed by an aeroplane.

By the end of the conflict the German pilot had logged complessively 195h18min of flight sharing out as follow: 36h 28min on the FA 61, 156h29min on the Drache and 2h13min on the Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri, another helicopter built in limited series by the Germans. At the end of the WWII the Allies prohibited almost all the flying activities in Germany. Consequently Bode was forced to cease to fly and worked as a mechanic. He then took the decision to emigrate to Switzerland where he continued his flying career. In the Spring of 1952 he obtained the civil licence as sailplane pilot, followed on the 3rd of April 1952 by the private airplane pilot licence. On the 3rd of August 1952, trained by Sepp Bauer, he began the helicopter pilot school flying on the Hiller 360 of Air Import. After 7h36min of flight as PIC, on the 3rd of March 1953 he obtained on the airport of Zόrich the Swiss private helicopter pilot license nr. 7. On the 14th of September the Federal office for civil aviation (FOCA) issued him the commercial pilot licence nr.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Getting harder and harder to come up with questions, so thought I would try something a little different. We will see how it goes:-

I am looking for a link between Enola Gay and Hollywood. Hint - it has nothing to do with movies about either the aircraft or its mission.

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    A (Australian) morning clue

The link relates to a component used in aircraft and in other applications

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Redback View Post
    Getting harder and harder to come up with questions, so thought I would try something a little different. We will see how it goes:-

I am looking for a link between Enola Gay and Hollywood. Hint - it has nothing to do with movies about either the aircraft or its mission.

Terry

Terry; please clarify: When you say "Hollywood", do you mean the geographical area in Los Angeles, or the movie industry? Thanks; Ernie P.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hedy Lamarr
    Gary Baker

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Movie industry.

terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Struggling to come up with more clues!! The company that made the component referred to also made a twin cylinder motor cycle, as well as other products for the aerospace industry.

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    On reflection this was maybe not a good question.

What I am looking for is a person whose career ranged from Hollywood to the aerospace industry. Was a surprise to me when I came across this fact!

terry