Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lrb75
I did add a clue in my response.
Sorry; my mistake. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:27 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Well, now I'm puzzled. I thought proptop had nailed it. Don't forget, Irb75; you're supposed to post a new clue at least once a day. Thanks; Ernie P.

Sorry...I was just attempting to add some levity...been watching Hogan's Heroes...here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsi2T9niPnI

Season 1 episode 10
The Norden...(Bombsight..? No...lol)

Last edited by proptop; 04-05-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by proptop
Sorry...I was just attempting to add some levity...been watching Hogan's Heroes...here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsi2T9niPnI

Season 1 episode 10
The Norden...(Bombsight..? No...lol)
And you think I'm too old to have seen them the first time around? Still, I did think you had a good answer. But I must admit I have no idea of an answer to Irb75's question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Ernie P.

Not what I was looking for. The line may have been repeated by Jack o'connell.
Sir; the only reference I can find is to the "ruptured octopus". But that was a drawing of the radar system, not the bombsight. And if my answer is wrong, another clue is due. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my first clue would be to spell his name right. Zamperini. Second would be that the exchange happened on Kwajalein Island. Good night.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:07 AM
uncljoe

A Radio receiver
Old 04-08-2017, 09:16 PM
proptop

Did he draw pictures of the prison camp and / or his captors?
Old 04-09-2017, 02:59 PM
lrb75

Uncle joe is getting close. What brand radio?
Old 04-09-2017, 05:51 PM
uncljoe

Super heterodyne receiver .. Philco ..
Old 04-09-2017, 06:58 PM
lrb75

Your turn unclejoe
Old 04-10-2017, 01:49 AM
Ernie P.

Your turn unclejoe
Well unclejoe, welcome back and you're up. Good job! How the heck did you find that info? I scanned both "Unbroken" and "Tiger at my heels" without finding a reference. Where did you find it? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Ernie P.

Hey unclejoe; you're up buddy. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Ernie P.

Hey; unclejoe; you are up, Sir. Please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:20 PM
uncljoe

Looking for a Aviator who was a Leader in a NEW type of warfare .....
Old 04-11-2017, 05:23 PM
uncljoe

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Well unclejoe, welcome back and you're up. Good job! How the heck did you find that info? I scanned both "Unbroken" and "Tiger at my heels" without finding a reference. Where did you find it? Thanks; Ernie P.
actually it was a SWAG, as Philco was a radio mfg in the late 30's to about 1955
semper Fi
joe
Old 04-11-2017, 06:16 PM
SimonCraig1

Kurt Student?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by uncljoe
Looking for a Aviator who was a Leader in a NEW type of warfare .....
How about John Boyd? Thanks; Ernie P.

John Boyd.

While the question seems to be asking for present-day pilots, John Boyd's career and contributions to fighter tactics deserves special mention.

Nicknamed "40-second Boyd" because he had a standing offer to all pilots that if they could defeat him in simulated air-to-air combat in under 40 seconds, he would pay them $40 (he stands undefeated), he was the ultimate warrior-scholar.

As someone who had an intuitive grasp of flying fighter aircraft, his insights lead to the "Aerial Attack Study", a pioneering work that detailed maneuver and counter-maneuver in dogfights. The "Aerial Attack Study" not only changed the way the USAF trained in air combat tactics but would also go on to influence how air forces around the world trained their pilots.

Another brain-child of Boyd's, Energy-Maneuverability Theory, or E-M Theory would not only change air combat but would also radicalize the design and manufacture of combat aircraft. The F-15 and F-16, both formidable aircraft with stellar records of service today, were designed with E-M principles baked in.

Not content with sitting in idle retirement, after leaving the USAF, Boyd began work on theories and ideas that would culminate in "A Discourse on Winning and Losing", and the "OODA loop", which would come to shape not only battlefield strategy and tactics as seen in the first and second Gulf Wars but also be held in high regard in the realm of boardroom strategy.

Despite his amazing achievements, he remains relatively unknown, probably due to his abrasive personality and willingness to challenge authority over and over again.

I highly recommend his autobiography "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot who Change the Art of War"
Old 04-12-2017, 07:48 AM
uncljoe

#1 . Looking for a Aviator who was a Leader in a NEW type of warfare .....
#2, The Aviator required each of his "scrapers"to identify every part of the cockpit environment by sound,smell, and touch .
Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 AM
uncljoe

#2, The Aviator required each of his "scrapers"to identify every part of the cockpit environment by sound,smell, and touch .
Bonus Clue
#3 He learned this SKILL in England
Old 04-13-2017, 08:01 AM
uncljoe

Bonus Clue
#4 His
Squadron had the "Only Ace " using this type of warfare .
Old 04-13-2017, 01:11 PM
uncljoe

Bonus Clue
#4 His Squadron had the "Only Ace " using this type of warfare .
#5 Bonus ..... AVIATORS

Old 04-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Ernie P.

Bonus Clue
#5 Bonus ..... AVIATORS
Well, unclejoe; I’m guessing you’re talking about either (perhaps both?) Capt. Leonard R. Hall or Maj. Donald B. Brummel; both of whom went to England tolearn British tactics and both of whom were instrumental in setting up the 6[SUP]th [/SUP]Night Fighter Squadron, which led directly to the success of Lieutenant Dale Haberman and Lieutenant Ray Mooney in Moonhappy.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:33 PM
uncljoe

Ernie Your getting close ,
Bonus Clue
#5 Bonus ..... AVIATORS
#6 Air Force calls them Pilots .... Naval service Aviators
#7 His Squardron ,in a emergency deployment after a year of combat ,(WW2) in the longest over-water flight of single- engined fighters in the Pasific theater,just to get into the fight

Last edited by uncljoe; 04-13-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Ernie P.

Ernie Your getting close ,
Bonus Clue
#5 Bonus ..... AVIATORS
#6 Air Force calls them Pilots .... Naval service Aviators
#7 His Squardron ,in a emergency deployment after a year of combat ,(WW2) in the longest over-water flight of single- engined fighters in the Pasific theater,just to get into the fight

Then you must be talking about Magruder, correct? Thanks; Ernie P.

Marion MiltonMagruder (June 27, 1911 –June 27, 1997) was an officerin the UnitedStates Marine Corps, and a pioneer in Radar Intercept NightFighting. He was the first commanding officer of Marine aircraftsquadronVMF(N)-533,then known as "Black Mac's Killers" [1], and led that squadron during the Battle of the Marshall Islands and Battle of Okinawa in World War II.

On February 6, 1943, MajorMagruder was deployed to Englandfor a 3-month stint to learn as much as possible about Radar Intercept NightFighting from the Royal Air Force (RAF). The UnitedStates Navy critically needed to establish effective nightfighting capabilities for the Pacific Campaign.Magruder was assigned to develop the U.S. Naval Radar Intercept Doctrine thatentailed extensive modification of the British system into an almost totallydifferent operational syllabus. Admiral JohnS. McCain, Sr., then Director Aircraft Pacific, required asingle-pilot, single-engine aircraft that was capable of operating from acarrier while the British utilized a two-seat fighter that employed an onboardradar operator. Magruder reconfigured the system to include a remote groundcontrol intercept (GCI) radaroperator to coordinate exclusively with his designated pilot, to give him avector close enough to the target for the pilot’s own shorter-range radar tolocate the target. In June 1943 Magruder was assigned as Night Fighter TrainingOfficer at the newly formed MarineAircraft Group 53 (MAG-53) at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina.
On October 1, 1943, Magruderbecame the commandingofficer of the newly formed VMF(N)-533, which eventually tookthe nickname "Black Mac’s Killers". VMF(N)-533 was the first MarineCorps squadron to receive the F6F-3(N) Hellcat nightfighter. In November 1943 Magruder was promoted to lieutenantcolonel.
After a difficult radar intercepttraining program, the squadron deployed to Enewetak Atoll on May6, 1944, to take over the night defense of the area. On July 6, 1944, theMagruder's squadron also set up a rotating contingent on Roi Island and Kwajalein Atoll fortheir night defense. On November 30, 1944, "Black Mac's Killers"moved its base of operations from Enewetak to Engebi.
On May 7, 1945, VMF(N)-533, withthree days notice, was ordered to deploy to Yontan Airfield on Okinawa to shore upsagging night defenses during the Battle of Okinawa. Withjust a skeleton crew of fifteen pilots flying their fifteen Hellcats, and anextra thirteen officers (8 extra pilots, a flight surgeon, flight director andthree key department heads), along with 57 enlisted men flying in 5 transport aircraftprovided squadron VMR-252 withwhatever spare parts and gear that could be squeezed on board; they departed onthe longest over-water flight of single-engine fighters in World War II. Theremainder of the squadron personnel and equipment followed by sea on LSTsand would not link up again with this skeleton crew for more than a month.
Arriving on May 10, 1945, atYontan Field, the squadron was operational in 36 hours. On June 15, 1945, thesquadron moved operations from Yontan Air Field to Charlie Air Strip, Ie Shima where theyjoined the rest of the squadron personnel and served out the remainder of thewar. In spite of the fact that VMF(N)-533 arrived 40 days after the campaignfor Okinawa began, with terrible weather throughout, "Black Mac’sKillers" registered 35 enemy aircraft victories and 1 probable all RadarIntercepts, which was almost as many aircraft destroyed as all three othernight fighter squadrons on Okinawa, combined. VMF(N)-533 was the top scoringNight Fighter Squadron of the Pacific Theater in World War II. VMF(N)-533 hadthe best safety record and the highest combat ready rate for any operationalsquadron in the Pacific. In 15 months of overseas deployments, the ‘Killers’logged over 11,000 flight hours. For this action, the squadron were awarded thePresidential Unit Citation. On July 8, 1945,Lieutenant Colonel Magruder transferred command of VMF(N)-533 to his executive officer andreturned to the United States for a War Bond Tour.
Shortly after V-JDay, September 1945, Magruder became the commanding officerof Marine Aircraft Group 53 (a fully integrated Night Fighter Command) at Marine Corps Air Station Eagle Mountain Lake,Texas. The groupconsisted of seven tactical squadrons, one service and support squadron, oneheadquarters squadron, one ground control radar squadron and one ground controlapproach radar unit. This totalled nearly 2400 officers and men with 146aircraft. At the time this was the largest aircraft group in Marine Aviation.In February 1946, MAG-53 moved operations back to MCAS Cherry Point. In August1946 Magruder assumed command of MarineAircraft Group 31.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:40 PM
uncljoe

You got it Ernie ,Guess the Aviators gave it away
Semper Fi
Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.