RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds almost like the A-26 Invader EXCEPT the Invader was accepted
Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

North American NA-40 ?
Old 12-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
North American NA-40 ?
Neither the A-26 or the NA-40. But they are both good guesses and earn a bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

1. There was only one ever built.

2. It was built by one of four aircraft companies which competed in a competition for a contract to build a new warbird.

3. It was the only one of the four which did not eventually enter production in some form.

4. The other three aircraft were all produced in large numbers.

5. This aircraft was the only multi-engined aircraft produced by the company.

6. And, although it wasn’t selected for production, it was a fast aircraft for the day.

7. Despite this failure, the name of the producing company is one well known to almost everyone on this forum.

8. It was initially produced with a large “greenhouse” cockpit area, intended to provide lots of visibility for its pilot and bombardier.

9. Unfortunately, the high visibility cockpit restricted forward visibility for the pilot.

10. So, the company installed a more standard cockpit area; but performance remained about the same.

11. Twin engine; crew of three.

12. Nine machine guns.

13. Bomb load over 2,500 pounds.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:38 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

2. It was built by one of four aircraft companies which competed in a competition for a contract to build a new warbird.

3. It was the only one of the four which did not eventually enter production in some form.

6. And, although it wasn’t selected for production, it was a fast aircraft for the day.

7. Despite this failure, the name of the producing company is one well known to almost everyone on this forum.

8. It was initially produced with a large “greenhouse” cockpit area, intended to provide lots of visibility for its pilot and bombardier.

9. Unfortunately, the high visibility cockpit restricted forward visibility for the pilot.

10. So, the company installed a more standard cockpit area; but performance remained about the same.

12. Nine machine guns.

14. A little over 50 feet in length.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

14. A little over 50 feet in length..

15. Wingspan around 65 feet.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about the XB-21. It was the plane the NA-40 was based on and that became the B-25 Mitchell, a very famous and well regarded aircraft
Old 12-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
How about the XB-21. It was the plane the NA-40 was based on and that became the B-25 Mitchell, a very famous and well regarded aircraft
Hydro Junkie; the plane we're looking for never entered mass production in any form. And that eliminates the XB-21, the NA-40 and the B-25. Maybe this next clue will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

16. Dry weight was over 12,000 Lb.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:23 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

17. Loaded weight was around 18,000 Lb.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

18. The cockpit arrangement was similar to that used on most German WWII bombers.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

18. The cockpit arrangement was similar to that used on most German WWII bombers.

19. The revised cockpit arrangement was similar to that used on many WWII American medium bombers.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

19. The revised cockpit arrangement was similar to that used on many WWII American medium bombers.

20. Maximum speed was just over 250 MPH.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

21. It could cruise at 200 MPH.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

22. Machine guns were all .30 caliber.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No guesses for some time. ??? Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

23. The other three aircraft, all of which ultimately found their way into production (although perhaps after extensive changes), were used in a variety of roles.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

23. The other three aircraft, all of which ultimately found their way into production (although perhaps after extensive changes), were used in a variety of roles.

24. These roles included attack, reconnaissance, intruder, light bomber, night fighter, medium bomber, patrol and trainer.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No guesses for three days? Or have you all figured it out and are simply reluctant to take the lead? Well, here's an evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

24. These roles included attack, reconnaissance, intruder, light bomber, night fighter, medium bomber, patrol and trainer.

25. The other three were all produced in large numbers.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

26. And all three were used by other countries.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

27. Ironically enough, one of those foreign countries wound up using one of the aircraft to attack the armed forces of the manufacturing country.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

27. Ironically enough, one of those foreign countries wound up using one of the aircraft to attack the armed forces of the manufacturing country.

28. The specifications for the aircraft were released in late 1937 or early 1938 (sources differ).
Old 12-07-2017, 03:06 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

28. The specifications for the aircraft were released in late 1937 or early 1938 (sources differ).

29. The competition in which our subject aircraft failed to attract any orders was held in 1939.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

29. The competition in which our subject aircraft failed to attract any orders was held in 1939.

30. All three of the aircraft in competition with our subject aircraft attracted interest from the French Air Force.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

30. All three of the aircraft in competition with our subject aircraft attracted interest from the French Air Force.

31. And all three of them, in their final forms, ultimately served with the French.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Ernie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys; I'm struggling to find new, non-giveaway, clues. There simply isn't a lot more to say about this plane. And no one has put in a guess for a week. Are you still out there? Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

12. Nine machine guns.

31. And all three of them, in their final forms, ultimately served with the French.

32. Our subject aircraft did not.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about the FW-57?
Maybe the HE-115?
What about the Potez 630?