Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 11-06-2019, 08:48 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Clue 18 definitely narrows down the field. It only leaves the following WWII aircraft, that is if the plane is from WWII:
P-38, P-39, P-40 and P-51 for the American fighters
BF-109, BF-110, FW-190 and TA-152 for the Germans
Spitfire, Hurricane and Mosquito for the British
Machi 202 for the Italians
Arsenal VG-33, Cauldron-Renault CR.710, Detwoitine 520
Not one of those.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm stumped
Old 11-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Top_Gunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, clue 18 could have been somewhat misleading as written, so I've revised it here.

Looking for the name of a warbird.

1. Designed and built early in a war. It was an improved version of an earlier airplane from the same manufacturer.

2. Its performance in one role was acceptable, but that role was not one that its country had much need for at the time, so it was given other roles, for which it was ill-suited.

3. It was flown by three services of the one country that used it.

4. It was a fighter. It was considered hard to fly, although one of its country's top-scoring aces got some of his kills while flying it.

5. One reason for its poor handling was that it had a higher wing loading than many of its contemporaries.

6. Another problem, at least initially, was that when it first went into service the pilots who flew it had previously flown airplanes that were much more docile.

7, Despite its shortcomings, it was probably one of its country's best fighters when hostilities began.

8. It was faster, at least at high altitude, and had longer range than the enemy fighters it faced.

9. Most of them were armed with machine guns, in varying configurations. A handful had cannons, and some had rockets.

10. A few thousand were produced.

11. Production pretty much stopped after about one year, mostly because the engine manufacturer (or possibly manufacturers) shifted to production of a similar engine for a different airplane.

12. Although it was fast, its rate of climb was inferior to that of the fighters it opposed, in part, perhaps, because it was heavier than the airplane it was designed to be an improvement of.

13. Over the course of the war, in which it served until the end, nearly half of them were shot down.

14. It was designed to be a high-altitude interceptor, but it found itself in a situation where that kind of airplane was not of much use.

15. The thing that makes clue 3 puzzling is this: The country for which this airplane flew had an unusual, perhaps even unique, way of dividing its armed forces into services.

16. Some of them were used for ground attack, sometimes with machine guns in under-wing pods to increase their fire power. They were not particularly effective.

17. While judgments about looks are subjective, it seems safe to say that this was an attractive airplane. It has been the subject of RC modeling, including at least one ARF, plastic models, and a rubber-powered free-flight kit. It is a well-known airplane.

18. It was powered by a liquid-cooled V12 engine.

19. It looked a lot like the airplane it was designed as an improvement on.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Every plane I listed above ran a liquid cooled V-12. That said, you have pretty much ruled out almost all of the WWII fighters in use at the beginning of the war.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:56 PM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They did have V12 in WWI, the RAF-4 for one.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:26 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree, there were some but they were the exception and not the rule.
Just had a thought, what about the F-82 Twin Mustang? I know, it was only flown by the USAF but it does fit the V-12 clue
Old 11-07-2019, 05:22 AM
Top_Gunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Today I happened to run across a paper airplane static model of this airplane. It's not obscure, and I'm sure that all of the regular participants here would identify it at once if I posted a picture. I suspect that clue 3 is leading some of you to focus on the wrong country. Not that I would ever intentionally use such a clue.

This morning's clue.

1. Designed and built early in a war. It was an improved version of an earlier airplane from the same manufacturer.

2. Its performance in one role was acceptable, but that role was not one that its country had much need for at the time, so it was given other roles, for which it was ill-suited.

4. It was a fighter. It was considered hard to fly, although one of its country's top-scoring aces got some of his kills while flying it.

5. One reason for its poor handling was that it had a higher wing loading than many of its contemporaries.

6. Another problem, at least initially, was that when it first went into service the pilots who flew it had previously flown airplanes that were much more docile.

7, Despite its shortcomings, it was probably one of its country's best fighters when hostilities began.

8. It was faster, at least at high altitude, and had longer range than the enemy fighters it faced.

9. Most of them were armed with machine guns, in varying configurations. A handful had cannons, and some had rockets.

11. Production pretty much stopped after about one year, mostly because the engine manufacturer (or possibly manufacturers) shifted to production of a similar engine for a different airplane.

12. Although it was fast, its rate of climb was inferior to that of the fighters it opposed, in part, perhaps, because it was heavier than the airplane it was designed to be an improvement of.

13. Over the course of the war, in which it served until the end, nearly half of them were shot down.

14. It was designed to be a high-altitude interceptor, but it found itself in a situation where that kind of airplane was not of much use.

15. The thing that makes clue 3 puzzling is this: The country for which this airplane flew had an unusual, perhaps even unique, way of dividing its armed forces into services.

16. Some of them were used for ground attack, sometimes with machine guns in under-wing pods to increase their fire power. They were not particularly effective.

17. While judgments about looks are subjective, it seems safe to say that this was an attractive airplane. It has been the subject of RC modeling, including at least one ARF, plastic models, and a rubber-powered free-flight kit. It is a well-known airplane.

20. A version with a radial engine was tried, but it was a failure and never went into production.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:31 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Could it be a Macchi C.202. Bad guess already given
Old 11-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Top_Gunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BankYank View Post
Could it be a Macchi C.202. Bad guess already given
Yes, this one came up, but thanks for calling my attention to it. There are some similarities, including appearance, so here's a bonus clue. Keep looking!

20. A version with a radial engine was tried, but it was a failure and never went into production.

21. It was a streamlined, low-wing. single-engine monoplane.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Al;

This is really fun. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Al, that pretty much covers every one of the planes I listed a few posts back except the P-38, BF-110 and Mosquito.
Could we be looking at one of the Kawasaki Ki-60 series? When you look at the 60, 61, 73, 74, 78, 87 and 88, they all looked very similar with the required low wing, streamlined airframe and V-12 engine

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 11-07-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:39 AM
Top_Gunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not a Kawasaki. It did look somewhat like the Hien, but then so did several other aircraft of that era. Here's today's clue and your bonus clue.

21. It was a streamlined, low-wing. single-engine monoplane.

22. The factories that built it also built one of its country's best known planes. That airplane used the engine referred to in clue 11, and the factories increased production of that airplane when production of our target airplane stopped. These two airplanes were designed by different concerns.

23. When it was first used in combat, its gunsight was inferior to those used by enemy fighters.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:00 AM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mig-3?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Top_Gunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is indeed the MiG-3, designed as a high-altitude interceptor but used as a low-level fighter and for ground support because high-altitude stuff didn't much happen over Russia. Well done!

The three services mentioned in Clue 3 were the Soviet Air Forces, the Navy, and the Air Defense Forces. The other airplane referred to in clues 11 and 22 was the IL-2. I hesitated a little about Ernie's question about whether it was designed after the start of the war in which it fought or after its country started fighting. While we usually think of the Soviet Union as starting to fight in World War II when the Germans launched Barbarossa, one could argue that its active participation began at the beginning of the war. When Germany invaded Poland, so did the Soviets (on the same side as Germany, at the time), because they and the Germans had agreed to divide Poland between them.

Here are a couple of links. I think the Wikipedia piece is a little hard on the MiG-3, and the other one may be overly positive. Not that I'm an expert, but I'd guess that the two together may give a more-balanced picture.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/mig-3.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-3

We look forward to a quiz topic from you, BankYank.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:12 AM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I May need to pass! im in no way a airplane fact kinda guy and finding something to post about is not going to be easy for me!!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BankYank View Post
I May need to pass! im in no way a airplane fact kinda guy and finding something to post about is not going to be easy for me!!
Google is your friend!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok Here goes! Looking for name and designation Its a fighter plane

1: Its development began in 1934
Old 11-08-2019, 02:00 PM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2: Pilot and second prototype were lost.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn View Post
It is indeed the MiG-3, designed as a high-altitude interceptor but used as a low-level fighter and for ground support because high-altitude stuff didn't much happen over Russia. Well done!

The three services mentioned in Clue 3 were the Soviet Air Forces, the Navy, and the Air Defense Forces. The other airplane referred to in clues 11 and 22 was the IL-2. I hesitated a little about Ernie's question about whether it was designed after the start of the war in which it fought or after its country started fighting. While we usually think of the Soviet Union as starting to fight in World War II when the Germans launched Barbarossa, one could argue that its active participation began at the beginning of the war. When Germany invaded Poland, so did the Soviets (on the same side as Germany, at the time), because they and the Germans had agreed to divide Poland between them.

Here are a couple of links. I think the Wikipedia piece is a little hard on the MiG-3, and the other one may be overly positive. Not that I'm an expert, but I'd guess that the two together may give a more-balanced picture.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/mig-3.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-3

We look forward to a quiz topic from you, BankYank.
All;

I initially discounted the Soviets because (1) They were involved in WWII from the start, and (2) I didn't realize they had three separate armed forces. After mentally running through the other potential aircraft producing candidates (The United States and Japan), the clues simply wouldn't add up. So, as soon as I stopped being obtuse (that happens sometimes) and started looking at the Soviets, the answer was obvious. The first seven clues were enough. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 PM
Top_Gunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If somebody else had been asking these questions I probably wouldn't have had a clue before the stuff about better performance at high altitude came in to supplement the clue about being OK in a role that wasn't that important. That would have narrowed down the number of countries, although even then the time frame might have puzzled me.

These quizzes are a lot easier when I'm the one asking the questions.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:10 PM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And a Bonus clue!
3: Its final use was as an advanced trainer aircraft in a different country then its origin.
4: it was the first low-wing monoplane design of the company, I work for the company that bought the original manufacture of a different name

Last edited by BankYank; 11-08-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:18 AM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And a Bonus clue!
3: Its final use was as an advanced trainer aircraft in a different country then its origin.
4: it was the first low-wing monoplane design of the company, I work for the company that bought the original manufacture of a different name
5: The guns had a tendency to freeze. Heaters were subsequently added to the guns for high-altitude use
Old 11-09-2019, 08:57 AM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And a Bonus clue!
5: The guns had a tendency to freeze. Heaters were subsequently added to the guns for high-altitude use
6: It was the first plane designed by the manufacture with an enclosed cockpit and first design with retracting landing gear.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:57 PM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And a Bonus clue!
6: It was the first plane designed by the manufacture with an enclosed cockpit and first design with retracting landing gear.
7: Outfitted with a new engine, the second prototype was able to attain a speed of 275 mph
Old 11-09-2019, 04:52 PM
BankYank

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And a Bonus clue!
7: Outfitted with a new engine, the second prototype was able to attain a speed of 275 mph
8: It fought in the Phoney war

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service