Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird crew chief do I describe?

Clues:

(1) This crew chief not only serviced his aircraft; he made it, and every other of its type, more effective in actual combat.

(2) His work earned him a bronze star. The citation was signed by a famous General, one in his chain of command.

(3) His name is proudly listed on a current website dedicated to the exploits of his unit.

(4) He was considered to be an example of industriousness and maturity. He had a knack of being able to make/build/modify/fit almost any part he needed. And, he was considered to be very good at “appropriating” the parts and materials he needed.

(5) He was already in the Army when the U.S. entered the war. Although, he almost spent the war as an artilleryman.

(6) While stationed abroad, he convinced his commander to transfer him to an air unit.

(7) After completing his overseas tour in early 1943, he was sent to become one of the first airmen assigned to a new unit; one which would later be dedicated to ground support activities.

(8) He quickly showed a perhaps unique ability to devise and improvise a series of new or modified tools and equipment used in loading explosives aboard the aircraft he serviced.

(9) He developed a specially modified truck to help load the bombs aboard the aircraft. He also was an expert at the electrical wiring system carried inside the wings. He and his sidekick kept devising new ways to load both bombs and bullets aboard the aircraft.

(10) At that time, the unit was having a lot of problems carrying out dive bombing activities. This was discovered while the outfit was practicing dive bombing prior to the D-Day landings.

(11) The subject of our discussion realized the basic problem was that the pilots simply had too many things to do at the same time. The bomb release mechanism in use required the pilot to look down and take one hand away from the throttle or stick to release the bombs.

(12) He modified another existing bomb release mechanism, an electrical rather than mechanical system, to allow the pilot to “pickle” the bombs with a button mounted on the top of the control stick. This reduced the number of things the pilot had to simultaneously accomplish while keeping station in a steep dive.

(13) The system was tested for three months. All of the pilots involved said the new system (the forerunner of today’s HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) system) saved time, money and hassle. In addition, the accuracy of their dive bombing improved exponentially.

(14) The commanding general ordered all units to send armaments officers and electricians to our subject’s location to learn how to fit and use the new release system. The new system was used for the rest of WWII. Our subject’s contribution to the war effort was enough to earn him a bronze star.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:17 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T/Sgt. Joe "Pete" Piantino?

http://www.365th-fbg.com/modules.php...&pid=11&page=2
Old 12-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS

On the money, JohnnyS; and you are up. Piantino's contribution made a big difference to the Hell Hawks and the Allied fighter bombing campaign against the German Army. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird crew chief do I describe?

Clues:

(1) This crew chief not only serviced his aircraft; he made it, and every other of its type, more effective in actual combat.

(2) His work earned him a bronze star. The citation was signed by a famous General, one in his chain of command.

(3) His name is proudly listed on a current website dedicated to the exploits of his unit.

(4) He was considered to be an example of industriousness and maturity. He had a knack of being able to make/build/modify/fit almost any part he needed. And, he was considered to be very good at “appropriating” the parts and materials he needed.

(5) He was already in the Army when the U.S. entered the war. Although, he almost spent the war as an artilleryman.

(6) While stationed abroad, he convinced his commander to transfer him to an air unit.

(7) After completing his overseas tour in early 1943, he was sent to become one of the first airmen assigned to a new unit; one which would later be dedicated to ground support activities.

(8) He quickly showed a perhaps unique ability to devise and improvise a series of new or modified tools and equipment used in loading explosives aboard the aircraft he serviced.

(9) He developed a specially modified truck to help load the bombs aboard the aircraft. He also was an expert at the electrical wiring system carried inside the wings. He and his sidekick kept devising new ways to load both bombs and bullets aboard the aircraft.

(10) At that time, the unit was having a lot of problems carrying out dive bombing activities. This was discovered while the outfit was practicing dive bombing prior to the D-Day landings.

(11) The subject of our discussion realized the basic problem was that the pilots simply had too many things to do at the same time. The bomb release mechanism in use required the pilot to look down and take one hand away from the throttle or stick to release the bombs.

(12) He modified another existing bomb release mechanism, an electrical rather than mechanical system, to allow the pilot to “pickle” the bombs with a button mounted on the top of the control stick. This reduced the number of things the pilot had to simultaneously accomplish while keeping station in a steep dive.

(13) The system was tested for three months. All of the pilots involved said the new system (the forerunner of today’s HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) system) saved time, money and hassle. In addition, the accuracy of their dive bombing improved exponentially.

(14) The commanding general ordered all units to send armaments officers and electricians to our subject’s location to learn how to fit and use the new release system. The new system was used for the rest of WWII. Our subject’s contribution to the war effort was enough to earn him a bronze star.

(15) The aircraft he serviced were P-47’s.

(16) The unit was part of the 9[SUP]th[/SUP] Air Force.

(17) The unit flew overhead at D-Day and all the way across Europe and into Germany. And our subject was there all the way.

(17) The unit was called “The Hell Hawks”.

Answer: Sgt. Joseph “Pete” Piantino

Joseph Piantino

Wassaic, NY - Joseph Piantino, 94, a longtime resident of Wassaic, NY died on Saturday, March 30, 2013 at his home in Wassaic, NY. Mr. Piantino worked as a licensed Aircraft Mechanic and later worked as a mechanic and welder for the Local # 15 Operating Engineers in New York City.

Born on March 30, 1919 in New York City he was the son of the late Quinto and Margaret (Damroth) Piantino. On October 2, 1952 in New York City he married Gwendoline Andrews who survives at home. Mr. Piantino proudly served in the United States Amy and Air Force during WWII and the Korean Conflict and was a recipient of the Bronze Star. He was also a member of the VFW Post #5444 in Dover Plains, NY and the Millerton American Legion Post# 178 in Millerton, NY.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by his son, Preston E. Piantino and his wife, Betty Jane, of Havertown, PA; Preston's former wives, JoAnne Piantino and Marie Piantino; three grandchildren, David, Scott and Heather Piantino and one great-granddaughter, Isabelle Piantino. Besides his parents, he was predeceased by two brothers, Louis and George Piantino and two sisters, Edna Doherty and Mary Silvestry.

Funeral services will be private. Memorial contributions may be made to theSt. Jude Children's Research Hospital , 501 St Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105 or the VFW National Home for Children, 3573 S. Waverly Rd., Eaton Rapids, MI 48827. To send the family an online condolence or to light a memorial candle, please visit Mr. Piantino's Book of Memories at www.hufcutfuneralhome.com
Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 AM
JohnnyS

That was a tough one.

OK, here goes:

1. The nickname of this aircraft served as the inspiration for the name of a film studio in another country.

2. Used by three countries, 2 in Europe and one in the Americas.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Ernie P.

That was a tough one.

OK, here goes:

1. The nickname of this aircraft served as the inspiration for the name of a film studio in another country.

Just a hunch, but I don't think this will go very long. They made some really good movies, though. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Ernie P.

That was a tough one.

OK, here goes:

How about the P-36 Hawk; and Hawk Films? Although, I do think the P-36 was used by more than two European countries. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Curtiss P-36 Hawk also known as the Curtiss Hawk Model 75, was an American-designed and built fighter aircraft of the 1930s and 40s. A contemporary of both the Hawker Hurricane and Messerschmitt Bf 109, it was one of the first of a new generation of combat aircraft—a sleek monoplane design making extensive use of metal in its construction and powered by a powerful radial engine. Obsolete at the onset of World War II and best known as the predecessor of the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, the P-36 saw only limited combat with the United States Army Air Forces.

The P-36 was used more extensively by the French Air Force, both during the Battle of France and by the Vichy French; and was used against French forces in the Franco-Thai War (October 1940–9 May 1941.) It was also used by the British Commonwealth (where it was known as the Mohawk), and by Chinese air units. Several dozen also fought in the Finnish Air Force against the Soviet Air Forces. With around 1,000 aircraft built, the P-36 was a major commercial success for Curtiss. This article also covers the YP-37 and the XP-42 prototypes based on the P-36.

Hawk Films was a British film production company formed by Stanley Kubrick for his 1964 film Dr. Strangelove. He also used it as production company for A Clockwork Orange (1971), Barry Lyndon (1975), and The Shining (1980).

He later formed two subsidiaries that were also named after birds of prey: In addition to Hawk Films, Peregrine Productions was involved in the production of Barry Lyndon and The Shining; while Harrier Films was involved in the production of Full Metal Jacket (1987) together with his main production company Stanley Kubrick Productions, which he set up for 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and which was also the main production company for Eyes Wide Shut (1999).

Noted American environmentalist Roger A. Caras served as vice president of Hawk Films from 1965 to 1969, and was heavily involved in the promotion of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Ernie P.

That was a tough one.

OK, here goes:

How about the P-36 Hawk; and Hawk Films? Although, I do think the P-36 was used by more than two European countries. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Curtiss P-36 Hawk also known as the Curtiss Hawk Model 75, was an American-designed and built fighter aircraft of the 1930s and 40s. A contemporary of both the Hawker Hurricane and Messerschmitt Bf 109, it was one of the first of a new generation of combat aircraft—a sleek monoplane design making extensive use of metal in its construction and powered by a powerful radial engine. Obsolete at the onset of World War II and best known as the predecessor of the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, the P-36 saw only limited combat with the United States Army Air Forces.

The P-36 was used more extensively by the French Air Force, both during the Battle of France and by the Vichy French; and was used against French forces in the Franco-Thai War (October 1940–9 May 1941.) It was also used by the British Commonwealth (where it was known as the Mohawk), and by Chinese air units. Several dozen also fought in the Finnish Air Force against the Soviet Air Forces. With around 1,000 aircraft built, the P-36 was a major commercial success for Curtiss. This article also covers the YP-37 and the XP-42 prototypes based on the P-36.

Hawk Films was a British film production company formed by Stanley Kubrick for his 1964 film Dr. Strangelove. He also used it as production company for A Clockwork Orange (1971), Barry Lyndon (1975), and The Shining (1980).

He later formed two subsidiaries that were also named after birds of prey: In addition to Hawk Films, Peregrine Productions was involved in the production of Barry Lyndon and The Shining; while Harrier Films was involved in the production of Full Metal Jacket (1987) together with his main production company Stanley Kubrick Productions, which he set up for 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and which was also the main production company for Eyes Wide Shut (1999).

Noted American environmentalist Roger A. Caras served as vice president of Hawk Films from 1965 to 1969, and was heavily involved in the promotion of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 PM
JohnnyS

Ernie,

No, not it. Sorry!

New clue:

3. It was a low wing monoplane, with 2 engines.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:09 AM
Ernie P.

Ernie,

No, not it. Sorry!

New clue:

And once again I am amazed at how many seemingly correct answers there are for any of our questions. Okay... Not the Hawk. Hmmm...... Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 AM
JohnnyS

New clue, and a correction:

2. Used by three countries, 2 in Europe and one in the Americas. (Note that some references include another south american country, but these references are incomplete.)

4. The engines were 6 cylinder inline engines (i-6), not vee-type.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Ernie P.

New clue, and a correction:

2. Used by three countries, 2 in Europe and one in the Americas. (Note that some references include another south american country, but these references are incomplete.)

JohnnyS; have we lost you? If not, it's past time for another clue. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 AM
JohnnyS

OK, ONE more clue. Then we must have some guesses before any more clues!

New clue:

5. It was originally designed with the intention to serve as a reconnaissance and ground-attack aircraft.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ca.309 Ghibli
Old 12-17-2013, 01:26 PM
JohnnyS

And we have a WINNER!!!

Jim, you're up.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:01 PM
AMA 74894

Ok, here's one that will likely be easy for you guys...
1) My company was originally an aircraft manufacturer before becoming a pioneer in this field.
2) The company's first civilian airplane flew in 1935.
3) Their first military design flew in 1938.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 AM
AMA 74894

Ok, Hump Day New Clues...
1) My company was originally an aircraft manufacturer before becoming a pioneer in this field.
4) Although many military aircraft are equipped with at least one of me, almost no civilian aircraft are.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martin-Baker.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 AM
AMA 74894

BAM!
WINNER!
the rest of the clues:
4) Although many military aircraft are equipped with me, almost no civilian aircraft are.
5) One of the Co-founders of my company was killed in an aircraft test flight in 1942.
6) After the Co-founder’s Death, the primary focus of my company switched from aircraft manufacturing to manufacturing little ol’ ME.
7) Although my primary purpose is to save lives, I've taken more than a few.
8) I am designed as a single use item. Once I’ve been activated the airframe itself typically does not ever fly again.

redbiscuits, you're up
Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 AM
redbiscuits

This aircraft made its first flight in the early half of 1958 and production lasted for nearly 2 decades.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 AM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what was the item in question that MB developed? The ejection seat?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by redbiscuits
This aircraft made its first flight in the early half of 1958 and production lasted for nearly 2 decades.
McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom????

Ken
Old 12-18-2013, 12:37 PM
redbiscuits

Ding, ding,ding
winner!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by redbiscuits
Ding, ding,ding
winner!

RCKen; I think you're up, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm sorry. I've been totally tied up with a work emergency. If you have a question loaded up go ahead and post it. Otherwise I should be able to get one tomorrow. Sorry for the delay

Ken
Old 12-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by RCKen
I'm sorry. I've been totally tied up with a work emergency. If you have a question loaded up go ahead and post it. Otherwise I should be able to get one tomorrow. Sorry for the delay

Ken

All;

The floor is open. If no one posts by tomorrow night, I will post something. Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.