Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 05-24-2014, 05:15 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not create a Quiz forum with say a couple of scope-limited threads within it?

And name a mod for that quiz forum?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:56 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I may have misspoke when I said I said a moderator. I was really talking about somebody who keeps track of the questions and the flow of how things go in here. Ernie is really doing a lot of that right now, but I don't want to assume he wasn't to be the "official" in charge of that.

Ken
Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Ernie,
can you bail me out here?? I thought that I was really great quiz all ready for you guy this time, but as I looked at it all the questions started to look really familiar, and then I realized that I had already posted quiz before. So I'm stuck with nothing ready to go. If you all want to wait I an make a up a new quiz tonight and start posting it in the morning. I'm hoping you guys will wait till the morning and give a chance to get going with another plane, but if you want to pass this on the Ernie or somebody else I would totally understand that. I do apologize to the group for the problem

That brings up a question that comes to my mind as Forum Manager here at RCU. Is there anybody here keeping track of what's going on where in the forum?? This thread is a great group of guys and doesn't need any policing so that's not an issue and that's not what I'm saying here. but what I'm saying is just more keeping track of what questions have been asked in the contest and such. If there is somebody that want's to step and be the Moderator for this thread thread here so that they can help keep this contest running a bit better I would be more than happy to promote you to that position!!!

On thing that comes to mind if we promote somebody a position like that is that they could keep a collection of questions ready to so that situations like what I had come up they would be ready to step in and post something. Anyway, something to think about.

Anyway, let me know if Ernie or somebody else has something ready to go to bail it out.

Ken

Ken;

I always keep a list of spare questions that are 90% ready to go. So, I could step in and bail you out on this. However, I don't see anything at all wrong with giving you a few extra hours to post your question. The main thing is communication. If we all know you need a few extra hours, no problem. If you simply haven't posted anything, or communicated in any way, that's a totally different situation. Then we don't know if you need a few extra hours, or if you're slumped dead over your keyboard, or if you're simply not interested. Communication is always a good thing.

As to being a formal Moderator, I suppose I have been filling that role informally; and would have no reason to object to making the position formal. But why change something that seems to be working? I provide a nudge here and there; a little direction occasionally; I doubt much more is needed. A great bunch of guys; very polite; no whiners; no pouters; no problem. So, whatever you guys want to do is okay with me. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Ken;

As to being a formal Moderator, I suppose I have been filling that role informally; and would have no reason to object to making the position formal. But why change something that seems to be working? I provide a nudge here and there; a little direction occasionally; I doubt much more is needed. A great bunch of guys; very polite; no whiners; no pouters; no problem. So, whatever you guys want to do is okay with me. Thanks; Ernie P.
I was just thinking out loud Ernie. Thanks for helping me out with the history on this thread. I've been scratching my head to come up with a new quiz question. Give me till this evening and if I don't have a new one then I'll pass it back to you.

Ken
Old 05-25-2014, 07:23 PM
psb667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a easy one ready.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by psb667
I have a easy one ready.

Ken asked me to post a question, but by all means please proceed, Sir. Post your question, psb667. I'll hold mine for later. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Ernie P.

I have a easy one ready.

Hey, buddy; please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:26 PM
psb667

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...b6iJ8-HZUTW-tH

what is this?

what platform is it currently deployed on for close infantry support?
Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 PM
psb667

what am i and what is my current deployment in this configuration?
This is a war bird question so aircraft and system combo please.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m27 mini.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1998639  
Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM
psb667

that worked well. sorry for the odd post
Old 05-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Redback

Wild guess, AH-6/MH-6 Little Bird with a M134 minigun.

Terry
Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 PM
psb667

I was hoping for a little bit of lead time. redback you have 24 hrs. dosnt have to be phd level trivia.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Redback

Going to have to pass on a question as I am about to head overseas on vacation. I really didn't expect to get this one right, it was just a guess backed up with a little research!!

Terry
Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 PM
psb667

who am i?http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessn...45a82d1b701cae
Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Ernie P.

Well, psb667; I'm not sure what answer you want. The aircraft is some version of the T-50 Bobcat, obviously; so I assume you are looking for any of the military versions listed below. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Cessna AT-17 Bobcat was a twin-engined advanced trainer aircraft designed and made in the United States, and used during World War II to bridge the gap between single-engined trainers and twin-engined combat aircraft. The AT-17 was powered by two Jacobs R-755-9 radial piston engines. The commercial version was the Model T-50, from which the AT-17 was developed.

The AT-17 was a military version of the commercial Cessna T-50 light transport. The Cessna Airplane Company first produced the wood and tubular steel, fabric-covered T-50 in 1939 for the civilian market, as a lightweight and low-cost twin for personal use where larger aircraft such as the Beech 18 would be too expensive. A low-wing cantilever monoplane, it featured retractable main landing gear and wing trailing edge flaps, both electrically actuated. The wing structure was built up of laminated spruce spar beams with spruce and plywood ribs. The fixed tailwheel is non-steerable and full-swivelling. The prototype T-50 made its maiden flight on 26 March 1939.

In 1940, the United States Army Air Corps ordered them under the designation AT-8 as multi-engine advanced trainers.

Thirty-three AT-8s were built for the U.S. Army Air Corps, and production continued under the designation AT-17 reflecting a change in equipment and engine types. In 1942, the U.S Army Air Force ( the successor to the Air Corps from June 1941 ) adopted the Bobcat as a light personnel transport and those delivered after January 1, 1943 were designated UC-78s. By the end of World War II, Cessna had produced more than 4,600 Bobcats for the U.S. military, 67 of which were transferred to the United States Navy as JRC-1s. In addition, 822 Bobcats had been produced for the Royal Canadian Air Force as Crane Is, many of which were used in the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.[2] The aircraft did not last long in North American postwar military service. Few (if any) Bobcats were in service with the United States Air Force when it was formed in September, 1947. Surviving military aircraft were declared obsolete in 1949.

Dubbed the "Bamboo Bomber" by the pilots who flew them, it was one of the aircraft featured in the popular television series "Sky King" of the early-to-mid 50s. The aircraft was replaced in later episodes by the T-50's successor, the all-metal Cessna 310.

Postwar, surplus AT-17s and UC-78s could be converted by CAA-approved kits to civilian standard aircraft allowing their certification under the T-50s original Type Certificate (ATC- 722, issued 3-24-1940). They were used by small airlines, charter and "bush" operators and private pilots. Some were operated on floats. By the 1970s, the number of airworthy aircraft had dwindled as they were made obsolete by more modern types and by the maintenance required by their aging wood wing structures and fabric covering. Since then, several have been restored by antique airplane enthusiasts.

In August 2009, FAA records show 378 T-50s, 10 AT-17s and 30 UC-78s are listed on the FAA registration database.

In the postwar years, Bobcats continued in military service with Brazil and the Nationalist Chinese.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 PM
JohnnyS

Nc59188?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 PM
psb667

good one. I think its just the same (sorta) paint. Ernie you wanna let johny throw up a question?
Old 05-29-2014, 01:37 AM
Ernie P.

good one. I think its just the same (sorta) paint. Ernie you wanna let johny throw up a question?

Sure; I will yield the floor to JohnnyS. If he declines, or doesn't post within 24 hours, I'll pick it back up. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:25 AM
JohnnyS

Erie,

I think you got it first, so please go ahead and take the floor. I yield to the boss!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Erie,

I think you got it first, so please go ahead and take the floor. I yield to the boss!

Okay. This one will be quick and easy. For one thing, there aren't a lot of facts to be had. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Although he was the top ace from his country, in his conflict, he still remains almost an unknown today.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) Although he was the top ace from his country, in his conflict, he still remains almost an unknown today.

(2) Quite old for a fighter pilot; perhaps particularly so in his time and place.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Ernie P.

(Early) Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) Quite old for a fighter pilot; perhaps particularly so in his time and place.

(3) Flew a very well known type of aircraft; one almost ubiquitous in its day.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Burt Reynolds

Edward Mannock ?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds
Edward Mannock ?

No, not Mick Mannock; but please try again. If he's a lesser known ace, things have, indeed, changed. But here is an afternoon clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) He was the first pilot to shoot down another very well known aircraft.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) He was the first pilot to shoot down another very well known aircraft.

(5) He was shot down and killed by another ace; an Irish ace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.