Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today's clue:

Looking for a pilot. This may be a tough one, because

1. He doesn't have a Wikipedia page, either in English or in his native language.

2. Which seems odd, as he set a number of records.

3. And he probably achieved one aviation "first," which saved his life fairly early in his career. (The "probably" is because it is conceivable, though unlikely, that someone else did the same thing earlier and it was never publicized.)
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

1. He doesn't have a Wikipedia page, either in English or in his native language.

3. And he probably achieved one aviation "first," which saved his life fairly early in his career. (The "probably" is because it is conceivable, though unlikely, that someone else did the same thing earlier and it was never publicized.)

4. He was a civilian, but he was given an honorary military rank and awarded a medal.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Today's clue:

4. He was a civilian, but he was given an honorary military rank and awarded a medal.

Top_Gunn; please confirm your first clue (clue 1.) is correct. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:50 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

5. A test pilot, he flew more than 90 different aircraft.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Top_Gunn

Top_Gunn; please confirm your first clue (clue 1.) is correct. Thanks; Ernie P.
It's correct. (I should probably have said "the language of his country" rather than "his native language," but I have no reason to think they are different.)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:54 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

6. While studying for a degree in engineering, he worked in the making of a motion picture as a tow pilot for a glider.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:05 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

6. While studying for a degree in engineering, he worked in the making of a motion picture as a tow pilot for a glider.

7. Ernst Udet was one of the pilots he towed. Udet liked his flying and recommended him to a manufacturer as its company test pilot.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

7. Ernst Udet was one of the pilots he towed. Udet liked his flying and recommended him to a manufacturer as its company test pilot.

8. Some of his flights were indoors. He said this was easier than flying outside, as there was no wind.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:45 PM
zippome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is "he" , actually a "She"?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:58 PM
zippome

Sorry, double post.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Top_Gunn

[QUOTE]Is "he" , actually a "She"? [/QUOTE]

No, but you're getting close! She flew the same aircraft indoors that he did.

Today's clue:

8. Some of his flights were indoors. He said this was easier than flying outside, as there was no wind.

9. After the war, he worked as a motorcycle repairman for a while. And, for a couple of years, he moved to Switzerland and worked as a helicopter pilot.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 AM
Ernie P.

[QUOTE]Is "he" , actually a "She"?
No, but you're getting close! She flew the same aircraft indoors that he did.

Today's clue:

9. After the war, he worked as a motorcycle repairman for a while. And, for a couple of years, he moved to Switzerland and worked as a helicopter pilot.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I know which pilot you're talking about; even though I can't verify all your clues. Clue (8) was the final giveaway, and I'll post a response if no one else steps up today. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Redback

Like Ernie I have not been able to confirm all the clues, however Ewald Rohlfs seems to be a good fit.

Terry
Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Top_Gunn

Ewald Rohlfs is a very good guess (though he does have a very brief Wikipedia page in English, and a somewhat longer one in German). But he's not the pilot I am looking for. You've definitely earned another clue, though. So:

9. After the war, he worked as a motorcycle repairman for a while. And, for a couple of years, he moved to Switzerland and worked as a helicopter pilot.

10. In the late 1930s he set helicopter records for distance and altitude.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 06-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Redback

Gonna try again!! Karl Bode?

Terry
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Redback
Gonna try again!! Karl Bode?

Terry
That was my guess, Terry. Now let's see if we were right. I couldn't match up all the clues, but quite a few fit perfectly. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Top_Gunn

Carl (or Karl, as sources differ) Bode it is! According to Ewald Rohlfs' German Wikipedia page, Bode and Hanna Reitsch succeeded Rohlfs as the pilots of the Fw-61 helicopter when Rohlfs took on the job of test flying the prototypes of the Fw-187 and Fw-190. Among his other achievements, Bode seems to have been the first person to make a parachute jump from a helicopter. One reason Rohlfs was a very good guess is that his German Wikipedia page has Bode's name in red (perhaps because Bode has no page of his own).

For more, see

http://paralympic-ph.com/germanvtol/carlbode.php

Good job, guys! And just in time, as I was running out of stuff I knew about Bode. You're up again, Terry.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 07-01-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:31 AM
Ernie P.

Carl (or Karl, as sources differ) Bode it is! According to Ewald Rohlfs' German Wikipedia page, Bode and Hanna Reitsch succeeded Rohlfs as the pilots of the Fw-61 helicopter when Rohlfs took on the job of test flying the prototypes of the Fw-187 and Fw-190. Among his other achievements, Bode seems to have been the first person to make a parachute jump from a helicopter. One reason Rohlfs was a very good guess is that his German Wikipedia page has Bode's name in red (perhaps because Bode has no page of his own).

For more, see

http://paralympic-ph.com/germanvtol/carlbode.php

Good job, guys! And just in time, as I was running out of stuff I knew about Bode. You're up again, Terry.

I'd come up with the below. But I wasn't aware he had parachuted from a helicopter. Thanks; Ernie P.

Carl (or Karl) Bode was born in Kiel/Germany on the 25th of February 1911. After the compulsory school he graduated as an engineer in the high technical institute of Hannover. Much later he started his activity as an airplane test pilot for various German builders. His career as a helicopter pilot started in September 1937. In that period in fact the newly founded Focke-Wulf company, builder of the famous FW 61 helicopter (which is is usually considered the first helicopter capable to perform all the classic manoeuvres of this aerodyne), was looking for a new test pilot. Bode accepted the offer and continued the test flights of the prototype. In 1938 inside the Deutschlandhalle of Berlin he became the first pilot to fly indoor. With this prototype he established numerous records, walloping those precedently set. On the 20th of June 1938 he flew non-stop for 230 km and on the 29th of January 1939 he set an altitude record climbing to 3'427 meters. Despite some accidents during the tests, the success of the flights was evident. For these reasons the German company started the construction of a larger helicopter known as FA 223 Drache (Dragon). The first prototype was tested by Bode in August 1940. As its predecessor the Drache had a side-by-side rotor configuration.

During the test flights of the new helicopter Bode was again victim of some accidents which ended fortunately without serious consequences for him.
With this helicopter he transported passengers, materials, light vehicles, armaments, parts of aeroplanes victim of emergency landings. The Drache could be equipped with doubles controls and used for the training of the pilots. During the war he also flew with the small autogyro FA 330 Bachstelze towed by an U-Boot and the Focke FA 225, an experimental autogyro which could carry nine soldiers and was towed by an aeroplane.

By the end of the conflict the German pilot had logged complessively 195h18min of flight sharing out as follow: 36h 28min on the FA 61, 156h29min on the Drache and 2h13min on the Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri, another helicopter built in limited series by the Germans. At the end of the WWII the Allies prohibited almost all the flying activities in Germany. Consequently Bode was forced to cease to fly and worked as a mechanic. He then took the decision to emigrate to Switzerland where he continued his flying career. In the Spring of 1952 he obtained the civil licence as sailplane pilot, followed on the 3rd of April 1952 by the private airplane pilot licence. On the 3rd of August 1952, trained by Sepp Bauer, he began the helicopter pilot school flying on the Hiller 360 of Air Import. After 7h36min of flight as PIC, on the 3rd of March 1953 he obtained on the airport of Zόrich the Swiss private helicopter pilot license nr. 7. On the 14th of September the Federal office for civil aviation (FOCA) issued him the commercial pilot licence nr.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Redback

Getting harder and harder to come up with questions, so thought I would try something a little different. We will see how it goes:-

I am looking for a link between Enola Gay and Hollywood. Hint - it has nothing to do with movies about either the aircraft or its mission.

Terry
Old 07-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Redback

A (Australian) morning clue

The link relates to a component used in aircraft and in other applications
Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Redback
Getting harder and harder to come up with questions, so thought I would try something a little different. We will see how it goes:-

I am looking for a link between Enola Gay and Hollywood. Hint - it has nothing to do with movies about either the aircraft or its mission.

Terry

Terry; please clarify: When you say "Hollywood", do you mean the geographical area in Los Angeles, or the movie industry? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Hedy Lamarr
Old 07-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Redback

Movie industry.

terry
Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Redback

Struggling to come up with more clues!! The company that made the component referred to also made a twin cylinder motor cycle, as well as other products for the aerospace industry.

Terry
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Redback

On reflection this was maybe not a good question.

What I am looking for is a person whose career ranged from Hollywood to the aerospace industry. Was a surprise to me when I came across this fact!

terry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.