Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 08-14-2014, 02:27 PM
SimonCraig1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a pilot:

1. He was a bomber pilot but was better known as an aircraft designer.
2. He was rejected from flying service initially, for poor eyesight, but obtained his private pilots license and 'bluffed' his way though another aircrew medical.
3. The first aircraft he flew operationally had STOL capability, the aircraft he designed also had this feature.
4. He then moved onto fly twin engine bombers. Though he survived many missions he gained something of a reputation for being accident prone including crashing after being struck by lightning
5. One of the aircraft he designed stared in a 1960s movie. The aircraft was included after the set designer heard a radio interview of the pilot.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1
I'm looking for a pilot:

1. He was a bomber pilot but was better known as an aircraft designer.
2. He was rejected from flying service initially, for poor eyesight, but obtained his private pilots license and 'bluffed' his way though another aircrew medical.
3. The first aircraft he flew operationally had STOL capability, the aircraft he designed also had this feature.
4. He then moved onto fly twin engine bombers. Though he survived many missions he gained something of a reputation for being accident prone including crashing after being struck by lightning
5. One of the aircraft he designed stared in a 1960s movie. The aircraft was included after the set designer heard a radio interview of the pilot.

You know, I honestly can't remember if I actually met him or just heard him speak. But since we were in the same small part of the world at the same time, and I was then in the Air Force, I suppose either could have occured. Thanks; Ernie P.

Wing Commander Kenneth Horatio Wallis DSO MBE CEng FRAeS PhD RAF (26 April 1916 – 1 September 2013) was a British aviator, engineer, and inventor. During the Second World War, Wallis served in the Royal Air Force and flew 28 bomber missions over Germany; after the war, he moved on to research and development, before retiring in 1964. He later became one of the leading exponents of autogyros and earned 34 world records, still holding eight of them at the time of his death in 2013.

Born on 26 April 1916 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, Wallis developed a practical interest in mechanics, building a motorcycle at the age of 11. In 1936, he was inspired by a demonstration by Henri Mignet of his Mignet HM.14 Pou-du-Ciel ("Flying Flea"). Using only Mignet's book, Wallis gathered the materials required, and started to build his own Flying Flea. He abandoned construction because of widespread adverse publicity about fatal accidents that implied inadequate design of the type.

Wallis took an interest in powerboats which he kept up until 1957, when he won the 56-mile (90 km) long Missouri Marathon.

Wallis was keen to join the RAF, and applied for their Volunteer Reserve Service, but he was turned down due to a defective right eye. Consequently, he obtained a private flying licence which required only a certificate signed by his GP. Wallis obtained his A Licence for dual and solo flying in a record 12 hours. In 1938, Wallis tried to join the RAF again, this time with the newly formed RAF Short Service Commission Scheme, but again failed the eye test. In 1939, he was called up to RAF Uxbridge, and again was sent for a medical. When it came to the eyesight test he managed to pass, as Wallis later recalled, "I did the first line with my good eye then they covered it up and asked me to read the bottom line with my bad eye, without them realising I just turned my head slightly so I could again see with my good eye – I passed it with Above Average Eye Sight!"

Wallis's military career started with Westland Lysander patrols in the RAF. In 1942, he was transferred to RAF Bomber Command, flying Wellingtons near Grimsby. Wallis subsequently served in Italy and on secondment to the US Strategic Air Command, where he flew the massive Convair B-36, that had six piston engines and four auxiliary jet engines. Thereafter, he was involved in research and development, and was awarded a number of patents on his inventions. Wallis left the RAF in 1964, retiring to Norfolk.

Wallis produced autogyros for, in his own words, "reconnaissance, research & development, surveillance and military purposes", and his designs were not available for enthusiasts as he considered that although the design is simple it has to be built to the appropriate standards. His contribution to autogyro design included the "offset gimbal rotor head".

Wallis worked as Sean Connery's stunt pilot in the 1967 James Bond film You Only Live Twice, where he flew one of his WA-116s named Little Nellie.

Production was at Cambridge by "Wallis Autogyros Ltd." run by his cousin.[clarification needed]

In 1970, Wallis provided camera footage from one of his autogyros in a search for the Loch Ness Monster.

In 1970 it was announced that Airmark would produce his autogyro design with a certificate of airworthiness (C of A), that being essential for commercial use of the autogyro. Expected price was around £3,000.

Between 2006 and 2009, Wallis took part in filming for Into the Wind, a documentary by Steven Hatton featuring the experiences and memories of wartime members of Bomber Command. The film, released in 2012, features Wallis demonstrating several of his autogyro designs.

Wallis was the President of the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum, and Patron of the Wolf Preservation Foundation.

A 1:24 scale plastic model kit of Wallis' WA-116 Little Nellie autogyro as portrayed in the 1967 James Bond film, You Only Live Twice, was released by the Airfix company.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 AM
SimonCraig1

Spot on Ernie!!! Your turn.

An interesting article on Wallis can be found here: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...flying-machine

Last edited by SimonCraig1; 08-15-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Ernie P.

Spot on Ernie!!! Your turn.

An interesting article on Wallis can be found here: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...flying-machine

Thank you, Sir. The funny part is, he lived in Norfolk; and I was living in nearby Suffolk. Yet I distinctly remember being told about him by a friend (Either Mick or Graham Reeder, one of the brothers) who lived near Marlowe on Thames. And that's on the opposite side of London. Memory.... Ah well; here's a new subject matter. Thanks; Ernie P.

This man was not a pilot or part of an aircrew; but he is most assuredly part of aviation history.

Question: What warbird history maker do I describe?

Clues:

(1) He, and the group he led, accomplished something never done before.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

This man was not a pilot or part of an aircrew; but he is most assuredly part of aviation history.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(3) Something many thought couldn’t be done.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:27 PM
zippome

How about Barnes Wallis, and operation Chastise. Also known as the dambuster raid?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by zippome
How about Barnes Wallis, and operation Chastise. Also known as the dambuster raid?

Now that's a really good guess, Zip. It isn't a correct guess, but it's really good nonetheless. So, for you, a very early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(4) And he may well have done it twice.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(6) He commanded a military unit.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(7) He taught his unit to accomplish its mission, and yet to survive under circumstances which were not normally conducive to survival.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Ernie P.

More guesses = more clues. Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(7) He taught his unit to accomplish its mission, and yet to survive under circumstances which were not normally conducive to survival.

(8) His unit was far more mobile than most similar units.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 AM
SimonCraig1

So totally off the wall.... how about Frank Merrill? Of Merrill's Marauders fame. The missions were entirely supported by air drops in the Burmese Jungle.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Ernie P.

So totally off the wall.... how about Frank Merrill? Of Merrill's Marauders fame. The missions were entirely supported by air drops in the Burmese Jungle.

Now you're thinking outside the box, SimonCraig1. You missed the mark, but your thinking is straight on. And here's another clue to assist your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(9) In addition to teaching his unit to move and survive, he adopted new tactics which increased its effectiveness.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Claire Lee Chennault?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Claire Lee Chennault?

No, not Chennault; but here's a morning clue to aid your search, JohnnyS. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(9) In addition to teaching his unit to move and survive, he adopted new tactics which increased its effectiveness.

(10) After achieving his historic “first”, he remained an unknown; until some years later.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(10) After achieving his historic “first”, he remained an unknown; until some years later.

(11) Only after he retired, did his name become known.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(12) He had initially used an alias to escape publicity; or perhaps public knowledge might be a better term.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(12) He had initially used an alias to escape publicity; or perhaps public knowledge might be a better term.

(13) Interestingly, after his retirement from military service, he worked as a baker in his home town.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(13) Interestingly, after his retirement from military service, he worked as a baker in his home town.

(14) Units like his were not initially intended to be mobile; although he was not the first to use them in this manner.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(14) Units like his were not initially intended to be mobile; although he was not the first to use them in this manner.

(15) He trained his unit to be ready to move in little more than half the time normally required.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(15) He trained his unit to be ready to move in little more than half the time normally required.

(16) He also trained them to better stay hidden, while preparing to move.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM
SimonCraig1

Archibald David Stirling: Founder of the Special Air Service?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Ernie P.

Archibald David Stirling: Founder of the Special Air Service?

That's a good answer, SimonCraig1; but not the one for which we seek. But to reward your diligence, I will say you are thinking on too large a scale. Also, this next clue will undoubtedly narrow your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(17) Units similar to his, but which were less mobile and which stayed active in the same area for a longer time prior to movement, simply didn’t survive.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) And, not done since.

(5) He was a Colonel.

(17) Units similar to his, but which were less mobile and which stayed active in the same area for a longer time prior to movement, simply didn’t survive.

(18) Before the outbreak of hostilities, he had already trained his unit in the new tactics. When hostilities erupted, his unit was ready.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.