Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 PM
wallace.tharp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeze Louise, just a lucky guess! Is it my turn? wallace.tharp
Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 PM
wallace.tharp

Here goes, "War bird, used in both civilian and military configurations." You could say it was an odd design. wallace.tharp
Old 10-15-2014, 01:45 PM
wallace.tharp

clue 2) Has something in common with the P-38. What the hey, here's clue 3) Could be either fixed or retractable gear in the civilian version. wallace.tharp
Old 10-15-2014, 06:35 PM
wallace.tharp

clue 4) The aircraft was developed as an answer to too many pilots getting killed in multi-engine aircraft. wallace.tharp
Old 10-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since no one else seems to be anxious to start the guessing game, I'll give it a shot. Two candidates come to mind pretty quickly, although neither really meets all the clues. Ot at least, I don't think they do. Still, here goes. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Lockheed Model 12 Electra Junior, more commonly known as the Lockheed 12 or L-12, is an eight-seat, six-passenger all-metal twin-engine transport aircraft of the late 1930s designed for use by small airlines, companies, and wealthy private individuals. A scaled-down version of the Lockheed Model 10 Electra, the Lockheed 12 was not popular as an airliner but was widely used as a corporate and government transport. Several were also used for testing new aviation technologies. Connection to the P-38? Well, Kelly Johnson helped develop the Model 10 and the P-38. Developed specifically as a trainer? Not that I'm aware.

The Beechcraft Model 18, or "Twin Beech", as it was better known, is a 6-11 place, twin-engine, low-wing, conventional-gear aircraft that was manufactured by the Beech Aircraft Corporation of Wichita, Kansas. This model saw military service during and after World War II in a number of versions including the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) C-45 Expeditor, AT-7 Navigator, AT-11 Kansan; and for the United States Navy (USN), UC-45J Navigator and the SNB-1 Kansan. An estimated aggregate total time in service for the aircraft is in excess of 20,000,000 hours.

Role: Trainer & Utility aircraft
National origin: United States
Manufacturer: Beech Aircraft Corporation
First flight: 15 January 1937
Introduced: 1937
Primary users: United States Army, United States Navy, Royal Air Force
Produced: 1937-1970
Number built: More than 9,000 of 32 variants built
Unit cost 1952: D18S $78,050.00 USD

Connection to the P-38? None, that I'm aware.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM
wallace.tharp

Good guess, but not correct Ernie P. clew 5) Used in Viet Nam. Given a nick-name of a kitchen appliance by some. wallace.tharp
Old 10-16-2014, 03:51 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cessna Skymaster? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_Skymaster

aka the Mixmaster.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:50 PM
wallace.tharp

Boom! Winner, winner, chicken dinner. The military O-2, Push pull slightly de-rated engines from Cessna. Also the Cessna 336, fixed gear and the 337 with trike retracts. I have been fortunate enough to have flown all 3 versions. New super mods can make this old bird high altitude, turboed and fast for a private twin. The push pull configuration eliminates almost all torque and P-factor problems of a normal twin, more than one "Mixmaster" met an early demise because the pilot did not recognize soon enough that the rear engine was dead. I believe Royal made a scale kit with the lovely dual boom configuration...."quite similar to the P-38." Thanks for your interest JonnyS. wallace.tharp
Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 AM
JohnnyS

cool!

OK, let's try a new one. It's an airplane:

1. Twin engine.
2. Piston engined (both engines)
3. Ejection seat.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 AM
wallace.tharp

JonnyS: Just a guess, F7F Tigercat was about the last US piston twin devveloped for the military, although I'm doubting the ejection seat. wallace.tharp
Old 10-17-2014, 10:03 AM
JohnnyS

Not the F7F, sorry.

1. Twin engine.
2. Piston engined (both engines)
3. Ejection seat.
4. Had an unusual feature in common with the previous aircraft: The Cessna Skymaster.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dornier 335 "Pfeil"? An ejection seat would seem a useful feature for a plane with props on both ends.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 PM
wallace.tharp

Ant Eater sounds close, but JU-635 had 2 booms? wallace.tharp
Old 10-17-2014, 06:56 PM
JohnnyS

Actually, the Do335 is correct. That's the one I was looking for!

Top Gunn, well done and you're up!!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:23 AM
Top_Gunn

OK. I don't have a question ready (just couldn't resist jumping in with the Pfeil in response to the push-pull hint), so if someone else would like to ask something, feel free! In case nobody does, I'll try to come up with something before the start of ND vs. FSU tonight.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Top_Gunn

Not sure whether this has been asked before. This thread is longer than my memory. But here goes.

Looking for a pilot.

1. A pilot in civilian life, he was rejected the first several times he tried to join the military.

2. No. 1 in one category.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Redback

Gonna be away in the good 'Ol USA for the next four weeks. Will try and avoid answering in case I get one right! Too hard to find questions when you're away from home. Still be dropping in though.

Terry
Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

Looking for a pilot, one of whose planes has been popular with modelers (both RC and plastic).

1. A pilot in civilian life, he was rejected the first several times he tried to join the military.

3. He completed flight training shortly after his war began and was assigned to a unit engaged in combat. But it was more than two years before he got his first kill.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 PM
wallace.tharp

Wild stab....Chuck Yeager or Bob Hoover? I believe they went to P-39 school together. Model would have probably been P-51 wallace.tharp
Old 10-19-2014, 03:15 PM
simple
My Feedback: (9)

Lindy - a civilian pilot, #1 across the Atlantic - Not allowed to participate in WWII for political, ideology and national morale reasons he had to become a fuel consumption advisor to get time in the Pacific and get a kill.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 AM
Top_Gunn

No correct answers so far. This clue should narrow it down some.

Looking for a pilot, one of whose planes has been popular with modelers (both RC and plastic).

3. He completed flight training shortly after his war began and was assigned to a unit engaged in combat. But it was more than two years before he got his first kill.

4. He flew all three of the planes in David M.'s list of brotherhoods (two of the three in combat), and at least one more.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 10-20-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
No correct answers so far. This clue should narrow it down some.

4. He flew all three of the planes in David M.'s list of brotherhoods (two of the three in combat), and at least one more.
Well, John D. Landers, the original pilot of Big Beautiful Doll, would seem to fit most of the clues. He scored victories in the Pacific flying a P-40; then in Europe flying P-38's and P-51's. He scored 14-1/2 aerial victories (The 1/2 was a shared victory over an Me-262) and probably around 20 EA destroyed on the ground. Thanks; Ernie P.

One thing we often forget is that war is always fought by kids and, in the case of WWII aviators, that meant they were also extremely inexperienced. When I flew my first fighter, which happened to be the Mustang, I was 29 years old and had nearly 2,500 hours of flight time in a wide variety of airplanes. When John Landers, the original pilot of Big Beautiful Doll, flew his first fighter, a P-40, which is much more difficult than a Mustang to fly, he barely had 200 hours. By today’s standards, that’s not even enough flight time to dry him out behind the ears.

Of course, there ís flight time and there ís flight time. Not one airplane in Lander’s logbook was as easy to fly as something like a Cherokee or Cessna. Conversely, few airplanes I had flown prior to strapping on a T-6 to get ready for the Mustang were as difficult as the Stearman Landers probably learned to fly in. The 208 hours he had by the time he was flying combat in P-40ís in the Pacific was a very serious 208 hours. When he was shot down and wounded by a Zero December of 1943, he was already an ace with six kills and probably hadn’t cracked the 400-hour mark yet. At 400 hours I was no more ready to fly something like a P-40 than the man in the moon.

There was a fatalistic, Darwinian aspect to WWII flight training and combat. Those with the talent flourished quickly, others barely held on, while so many others were simply eliminated leaving the strong to fight on. Itís impossible for someone like me, a wannabe fighter pilot, not to wonder where I would have fallen in the Darwin spectrum of fighter pilots.

When I finally got my chance to start flying Mustangs it was one of the high points of my life and all I was going to do was takeoff, fly around and land. It’s a big deal to be one of the few who have been given that kind of opportunity. Not so in WWII. It was a given that someone like Landers, who may have been low time by our standards, could fly the airplane. That wasn’t what counted. What mattered was his ability to use the Mustang as a weapon. When he took off he was going to pit his skill in the airplane against the best that Germany had to offer. It wasn’t an ego thing. It was a survival thing.

When Landers started flying the Mustang, he was a 24-year-old Lt. Colonel and Group Exec for the 357th Fighter Group in the ETO. Earlier, while flying P-38's, he had already added four German planes on top of his Japanese victories making him a double ace. Then he moved over and became CO for the 78th fighter group and continued racking up the victories. When the war was over he had 4.5 kills in the Mustang with the .5 being a shared Me-262.

I’ve looked over that long skinny nose and shoved that barrel-shaped throttle forward to feel the seat back urging me forward. I’ve looped and rolled and, on occasion, even challenged another Mustang or Corsair to a fight. I’ve felt the G’s and basked in that delicious sound track, but I always knew I’d come home. And that’s the difference.

Most fighter pilots who were trained and fought during WWII didn’t hit 1000 hours by war’s end. Combat, however, makes you get very good, very quickly. If you don’t, then adding time to your logbook will be the least of your worries.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:22 AM
Top_Gunn

Really interesting post, Ernie, but John Landers isn't the pilot I'm looking for. Here's today's clue:

5. The planes he flew in combat were, in order, the P-40, P-47, and P-51.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Really interesting post, Ernie, but John Landers isn't the pilot I'm looking for. Here's today's clue:

Hmmm..... Does the name "Tuskegee" play into your question? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Top_Gunn

Nothing to do with Tuskegee, though the list of planes would suggest that. So here's an extra clue that removes that suggestion.

6. Flew in both the Pacific and European theaters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.