Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:29 AM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed: HoundDog's information on WWII was very interesting and humbling: The sacrifices made in WWII were truly staggering.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 AM
JohnnyS

New clue:

1. Biplane fighter.
2. Seven were built in total by the original manufacturer in three different versions. One more was built under license, as a fourth version.
3. Of all the 8 aircraft produced, they were tested or at least flown in 5 different countries.
4. 7 cylinder engine.
5. Eventually as part of the rationalisation of British aircraft manufacturers, the manufacturer's aircraft production and engine operations were absorbed into Hawker Siddeley and Bristol Siddeley respectively.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 AM
JohnnyS

New clue:

1. Biplane fighter.
2. Seven were built in total by the original manufacturer in three different versions. One more was built under license, as a fourth version.
3. Of all the 8 aircraft produced, they were tested or at least flown in 5 different countries.
4. 7 cylinder engine.
5. Eventually as part of the rationalisation of British aircraft manufacturers, the manufacturer's aircraft production and engine operations were absorbed into Hawker Siddeley and Bristol Siddeley respectively.
5. Two went to Japan and two went to China.

Let's have some guesses here! There's plenty of info here to nail this one down!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
New clue:

1. Biplane fighter.
4. 7 cylinder engine.

Let's have some guesses here! There's plenty of info here to nail this one down!
The Armstrong Whitworth A.W.35 Scimitar was a British single-engine biplane fighter aircraft designed and built by Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft. Four Scimitars were produced for the Norwegian Army Air Service and were delivered in 1936.

[TABLE="class: infobox"]
[TR]
[TH="colspan: 2, align: center"]A.W.35 Scimitar[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Role[/TH]
[TD]Fighter[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]National origin[/TH]
[TD]United Kingdom[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Manufacturer[/TH]
[TD]Armstrong Whitworth[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]First flight[/TH]
[TD]1935[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Introduction[/TH]
[TD]1936[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Primary user[/TH]
[TD]Norway[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Number built[/TH]
[TD]6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Developed from[/TH]
[TD]Armstrong Whitworth A.W.16[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM
JohnnyS

Sorry HoundDog. No bone for you!

But getting close!

Let's have one more clue...

1. Biplane fighter.
4. 7 cylinder engine.
6. The fourth version built under license, was built as a two seat trainer. Only one was built. The company that had the license and built it is now the owner of Moto Guzzi.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry HoundDog. No bone for you!

But getting close!

Let's have one more clue...

1. Biplane fighter.
4. 7 cylinder engine.
6. The fourth version built under license, was built as a two seat trainer. Only one was built. The company that had the license and built it is now the owner of Moto Guzzi.
JohnnyS; this one is a puzzler. I had several candidates in mind after your first three clues, but I couldn't make the numbers match up. After considering the last two prototypes built in 1920, how about the Westland Wagtail? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Westland Wagtail was a prototype British Fighter aircraft of the First World War. A single engined tractor biplane, the Wagtail was a failure owing to the unreliability of its engine, only five being built.

The Westland Wagtail was designed by Westland Aircraft of Yeovil in 1917 to meet the Royal Air Force Specification IA for a light fighter with superior performance to the Sopwith Camel. Westland's design team, lead by Robert Bruce, the Company's manager and Arthur Davenport, Chief Draughtsman, came up with a design for a small single bay biplane, powered (like the other competitors for the Specification, the BAT Bantam and the Sopwith Snail) by the 170 hp (127 kW) ABC Wasp radial engine. The Wagtail was of conventional wood and fabric construction, with the upper wing centre-section having a large cut-out to improve the pilot's view, and carrying an armament of two Vickers machine guns mounted over the nose.

An order for six prototypes was placed in February 1918, (although the last two were later cancelled) with the first airframe being used for structural tests and not flown. Delays in delivery of engines delayed flight testing of the Wagtail, with the first to fly, serial number C4291, flying in April 1918, two months after the airframe was complete.

Testing showed that handling of the Wagtail was good, but also quickly showed that the Wasp was unreliable. Although the Wagtail proved the best of the three Wasp engined fighters tested, the Wasp was officially abandoned in October 1918, which together with the end of the war on 11 November, resulted in it not being adopted as a fighter.

Despite this, two further Wagtails were ordered in 1920, as testbeds for the new 150 hp (112 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Lynx radial. These two aircraft, which had a shorter nose to compensate for the heavier engine, were delivered in 1921 and remained in use until August 1922.

The ABC Wasp was an experimental 170 hp (127 kW) seven-cylinder radial engine designed by the noted British engineer Granville Bradshaw, and primarily built by ABC Motors Limited. Twelve
Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 PM
JohnnyS

A very, very rare swing-and-a-miss from Ernie!

Wow. This is a fun one!

New clue:

1. Biplane fighter.
4. 7 cylinder engine.
7. It was tested at Camp Borden in Canada.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Ernie P.

A very, very rare swing-and-a-miss from Ernie!

Wow. This is a fun one!

New clue:

1. Biplane fighter.
4. 7 cylinder engine.
7. It was tested at Camp Borden in Canada.
Wait a sec... I see how you're counting the numbers now. I wasn't reading that correctly, before. How about the Blackburn F.2 Lincoln? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Blackburn F.2 Lincock was a British single-seat lightweight fighter produced by Blackburn Aircraft Limited.

In 1928 Blackburn designed and built a private venture lightweight biplane fighter powered by an Armstrong Siddeley Lynx IVC engine. The Blackburn F.2 Lincock was of wooden construction and first appeared in May 1928. It performed well in demonstrations but failed to gain any orders. The Canadian government showed an interest in the design, and a metal construction variant (the Lincock II) was built. It was tested in Canada at Camp Borden in 1930 who were interested in using the Lincock as an advanced trainer but the type was not ordered. It was later used to perform public aerobatic displays in 1933 and 1934.

The final version was the Lincock III of which five were produced, two were delivered to China, two to Japan and one retained as a demonstrator. Interest from Italy resulted in Piaggio acquiring a licence to produce a two-seat version as an aerobatic trainer, only one Piaggio P.11 was built.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Ernie P.

JohnnyS;

I hope we haven't lost you. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:29 AM
JohnnyS

And we have a WINNER. The Blackburn Lincock it is.

Over to you, Ernie P.!

Sorry for the delay, but I was tied up yesterday!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Ernie P.

And we have a WINNER. The Blackburn Lincock it is.

Over to you, Ernie P.!

Sorry for the delay, but I was tied up yesterday!
Understood, JohnnyS; life gets busy sometimes. That was a pretty hard question to answer; and a good one. Good job! I'll post my question this afternoon. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Ernie P.

This question may be a bit difficult; but I hope it's worth the bother. Thanks; Ernie P.

This is the story of an airman. He was an ace, though not one noted for his high score. Mostly, it is the story of his life and his adventures; and more than anything the story of his courage, his will to live and his death.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) His Army father died in WWI.

(2) He himself was trained for a career at sea.

(3) After spending several years at sea, he decided to switch to the air force.

(4) By the time the war broke out, he had already served in the air force as a pilot for several years.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:07 AM
Ernie P.

Early morning clue. You will hopefully note you are receiving an extraordinarily large number of clues; and I am dropping extra hints all over the place. This is because I am filled with the milk of human kindness and wish to aid your search. Good luck. Thanks; Ernie P.

This is the story of an airman. He was an ace, though not one noted for his high score. Mostly, it is the story of his life and his adventures; and more than anything the story of his courage, his will to live and his death.

Clues:

(4) By the time the war broke out, he had already served in the air force as a pilot for several years.

(5) Just prior to going into combat for the first time, he was promoted; and was leading a squadron of fighter aircraft.

(6) In mid 1940, he scored his first victory by sharing credit with a fighter for the destruction of an enemy bomber.

(7) He was also flying a bomber when he scored the (partial) victory; one equipped as a night fighter. He was showing a new pilot around the area when the enemy bomber was reported. He, of course, went after it.

(8) As luck would have it, the enemy bomber was not very cooperative.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Please note our intrepid and heroic airman was renowned for his courage and cool temperment. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) Just prior to going into combat for the first time, he was promoted; and was leading a squadron of fighter aircraft.

(6) In mid 1940, he scored his first victory by sharing credit with a fighter for the destruction of an enemy bomber.

(7) He was also flying a bomber when he scored the (partial) victory; one equipped as a night fighter. He was showing a new pilot around the area when the enemy bomber was reported. He, of course, went after it.

(8) As luck would have it, the enemy bomber was not very cooperative. In fact, it’s conduct was decidedly unfriendly in the extreme.

(9) The enemy bomber was shot down; but its very accurate return fire shot down both the attacking aircraft.

(10) Our hero’s aircraft was hit and went into a spin. Unfortunately, the only way out for the pilot and observer was through a hatch in the roof; and it was very difficult for them to survive the experience. Most of the time, bailing out of a spinning aircraft of this type resulted in the pilot falling through the propellers.

(11) To make matters worse, the new pilot froze completely; and was doing nothing to get out of the doomed aircraft.

(12) Our hero got the panic stricken fellow pilot unstrapped and forced him to the escape hatch; then pushed him out of the hatch. Unfortunately, he fell into the propellers and was killed.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Ernie P.

Early afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) As luck would have it, the enemy bomber was not very cooperative. In fact, it’s conduct was decidedly unfriendly in the extreme.

(9) The enemy bomber was shot down; but its very accurate return fire shot down both the attacking aircraft.

(10) Our hero’s aircraft was hit and went into a spin. Unfortunately, the only way out for the pilot and observer was through a hatch in the roof; and it was very difficult for them to survive the experience. Most of the time, bailing out of a spinning aircraft of this type resulted in the pilot falling through the propellers.

(11) To make matters worse, the new pilot froze completely; and was doing nothing to get out of the doomed aircraft.

(12) Our hero got the panic stricken fellow pilot unstrapped and forced him to the escape hatch; then pushed him out of the hatch. Unfortunately, he fell into the propellers and was killed.

(13) Our hero then crawled out onto the fuselage and used his legs to propel himself away from the aircraft. His bailout was successful; although the propeller clipped his helmet.

(14) Having made a rather unlikely escape from a horrible death, our hero landed near a small village.

(15) He did the (for him) logical next step; which was to find the nearest pub. He ordered a beer and called to his field to arrange transport back home.

(16) Looking around, he noticed a gentleman in uniform sitting alone. He asked if he could join him and the gentleman consented.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Ernie P.

Some late afternoon clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(13) Our hero then crawled out onto the fuselage and used his legs to propel himself away from the aircraft. His bailout was successful; although the propeller clipped his helmet.

(14) Having made a rather unlikely escape from a horrible death, our hero landed near a small village.

(15) He did the (for him) logical next step; which was to find the nearest pub. He ordered a beer and called to his field to arrange transport back home.

(16) Looking around, he noticed a gentleman in uniform sitting alone. He asked if he could join him and the gentleman consented.

(17) Our airman noticed the gentleman’s uniform looked a bit odd; and he asked if he were perhaps Czechoslovakian or Polish.

(18) In perfect and upper class English, the gentleman replied that he was in fact a German pilot; and he had just been shot down.

(19) Our boy immediately placed the German pilot under arrest in the name of the Crown. Then he asked how the German spoke such excellent English.

(20) The German pilot said he had attended college just a few miles away; and he had no intention of trying to escape.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Ernie P.

And, some early evening clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(17) Our airman noticed the gentleman’s uniform looked a bit odd; and he asked if he were perhaps Czechoslovakian or Polish.

(18) In perfect and upper class English, the gentleman replied that he was in fact a German pilot; and he had just been shot down.

(19) Our boy immediately placed the German pilot under arrest in the name of the Crown. Then he asked how the German spoke such excellent English.

(20) The German pilot said he had attended college just a few miles away; and he had no intention of trying to escape.

(21) After this exchange, they got into a bit of an argument as to who would buy the next round of drinks. The German explained he had plenty of English money and would, after all, only be a prisoner for a few weeks at most; since his countrymen would soon finish off any resistance. Besides; the pub belonged to him just as much as it did to our hero. Agreeing to disagree on those points, the two of them shared a few drinks while waiting to be picked up.

(22) Less than a week later, our here was sent for a rest to a training course in the western part of the country.

(23) While strolling around one morning, near the landing strip, he noticed two things. One was an enemy bomber flying only a few thousand feet overhead. The other was a Spitfire, parked alongside the perimeter of the landing strip.

(24) He had no helmet and no parachute, of course. But he jumped in and took off after the bomber. He shot it down.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Ernie P.

And, some early evening clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) After this exchange, they got into a bit of an argument as to who would buy the next round of drinks. The German explained he had plenty of English money and would, after all, only be a prisoner for a few weeks at most; since his countrymen would soon finish off any resistance. Besides; the pub belonged to him just as much as it did to our hero. Agreeing to disagree on those points, the two of them shared a few drinks while waiting to be picked up.

(22) Less than a week later, our here was sent for a rest to a training course in the western part of the country.

(23) While strolling around one morning, near the landing strip, he noticed two things. One was an enemy bomber flying only a few thousand feet overhead. The other was a Spitfire, parked alongside the perimeter of the landing strip.

(24) He had no helmet and no parachute, of course. But he jumped in and took off after the bomber. He shot it down.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Ernie P.

A few just because clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(25) When his superiors heard about the incident, he was promoted to command a Spitfire squadron.

(26) A couple of months later, his squadron was sent to combat a raid by a group of Me-110’s.

(27) Our hero was observed attacking an Me-110; while he himself was being closely pursued by another Me-110.

(28) For the uninitiated, although History has treated the Me-110 most unkindly for its lack of maneuverability, it was at the time widely known that allowing an Me-110 to get onto your tail was not a good idea. The Me-110 was very well armed with forward firing cannons and machine guns.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Ernie P.

And a late evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(25) When his superiors heard about the incident, he was promoted to command a Spitfire squadron.

(26) A couple of months later, his squadron was sent to combat a raid by a group of Me-110’s.

(27) Our hero was observed attacking an Me-110; while he himself was being closely pursued by another Me-110.

(28) For the uninitiated, although History has treated the Me-110 most unkindly for its lack of maneuverability, it was at the time widely known that allowing an Me-110 to get onto your tail was not a good idea. The Me-110 was very well armed with forward firing cannons and machine guns.

(29) A quarter of an hour later, our intrepid airman was seen entering the landing pattern at a nearby base.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:26 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(29) A quarter of an hour later, our intrepid airman was seen entering the landing pattern at a nearby base.

(30) He lowered his landing gear and turned on final approach at around 600 feet. It appeared to be a normal approach.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Ernie P.

A late morning clue. No guesses? Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(30) He lowered his landing gear and turned on final approach at around 600 feet. It appeared to be a normal approach.

(31) At that point, his aircraft suddenly burst into flame. It was supposed an incindiary bullet was imbedded in his main fuel tank; and caused the tank to explode into flame as the fuel dropped below the point at which the bullet was lodged.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon Veteran's Day clue. Still no guesses. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(31) At that point, his aircraft suddenly burst into flame. It was supposed an incindiary bullet was imbedded in his main fuel tank; and caused the tank to explode into flame as the fuel dropped below the point at which the bullet was lodged.

(32) Our hero managed to bail out, but his parachute failed to open fully before he struck the ground. He was dead when the airfield’s ambulance reached him.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:52 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ain't gona Geuss .. We want to herar the"Rest of the Story"
Old 11-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Ain't gona Geuss .. We want to herar the"Rest of the Story"

Well, here it comes HoundDog. The next few clues tell the story; and here's this evening's clue. (I don't want to string this out too long) Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(32) Our hero managed to bail out, but his parachute failed to open fully before he struck the ground. He was dead when the airfield’s ambulance reached him.

(33) According to the doctor aboard the ambulance, he had been badly wounded before bailing out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.