Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 11-14-2014, 09:16 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like U and Me are pretty much the only ones trying to solve these puzzles,
Anyway U are telling me U don't have a tablet Ipad or a smart phone? Have a good weekend.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 PM
HoundDog

Name the Plane:
1. Total Production run was 742 of all models
2. (AMC) issued desired performance characteristics in 1945
3.The aircraft was to have a crew of five or more turret gunners
4. the first Proposal was a straight-wing aircraft powered by six Wright T35 turboprops
Old 11-15-2014, 02:57 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

B-52?
Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 AM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=perttime;11918202]B-52?
perttime : "BINGO" Looks Like your up to bat so to speak.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:06 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Looks like U and Me are pretty much the only ones trying to solve these puzzles,
Anyway U are telling me U don't have a tablet Ipad or a smart phone? Have a good weekend.
That's not true. I know that I'm here trying to solve them every time a clue is posted. Also, I can see the traffic patterns for this thread and I can tell you that there are other people following this thread and looking at the clues. Now I can't say 100% that they are trying to solve the clues, but they are reading them at least. And we've had others recently that have solved a quiz. So there is definitely more than just 2 people here solving the quizzes here.

Ken
Old 11-15-2014, 07:24 AM
perttime

perttime : "BINGO" Looks Like your up to bat so to speak.
It does look that way. Good thing that I've recently been looking into some aircraft that I previously knew nothing about...
Many might consider this a little obscure - feel free to mention any types that might fit The more the merrier...

What aircraft?
1) It was developed in response to an air force requirement for replacing an obsolete aircraft.
2) According to press reports, it was claimed to be the best climbing aircraft in the world - at the time.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by RCKen
That's not true. I know that I'm here trying to solve them every time a clue is posted. Also, I can see the traffic patterns for this thread and I can tell you that there are other people following this thread and looking at the clues. Now I can't say 100% that they are trying to solve the clues, but they are reading them at least. And we've had others recently that have solved a quiz. So there is definitely more than just 2 people here solving the quizzes here.

Ken
Sorry Ken How do U see he Traffic Patterns ... I guess if people just look and don't attempt to answer I would not even see them ...
Thanks for the heads up and to any one and every one else I apologist.

The Hound Dog Mechanic AFSC 44350Q
Old 11-15-2014, 08:01 AM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken is part of RCU (RCU Forum Manager/Admin) so he can see what is going on in all the forums - traffic, problems, glitches, etc. He is one of the reasons we can all participate in this forum. HoundDog - I had the answer after your first guess about Paterson Clarence Hughes (the last line in Wikipedia mentions Squadron Leader Joseph "Spike" O'Brien but could not find enough info to back it up in time nor did I have a good search question ready.

Last edited by skylarkmk1; 11-15-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 AM
perttime

What aircraft?
1) It was developed in response to an air force requirement for replacing an obsolete aircraft.
2) According to press reports, it was claimed to be the best climbing aircraft in the world - at the time.

3) The manufacturer's name will ring very familiar to anybody who is likely to read this.
4) The country of origin did not adopt it for military use.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ken
Ken; glad to hear we at least have some active lurkers following things. Now, if they would just sing out once in a while. It's more fun when we get a lot of different people involved. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:01 AM
perttime

What aircraft?
3) The manufacturer's name will ring very familiar to anybody who is likely to read this.

5) About 60 were built
6) 50 went to one export customer, and two other countries bought single examples (for evaluation?)
Old 11-16-2014, 04:45 AM
perttime

Hey, somebody propose something. That kind of thing has often given some direction to what hints I post next
Old 11-16-2014, 05:38 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by perttime
Hey, somebody propose something. That kind of thing has often given some direction to what hints I post next

I can't play, because I'm heading off to go hunting in a couple of hours; but this one sounds interesting. You guys play nice and have fun while I'm gone. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:40 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by perttime
O.K. I'll Guess Sopwith Camel ?
Can't be they built 5,490

[h=1]Blériot-SPAD S.510 61 built[/h]
Old 11-16-2014, 07:24 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I have an idea, but since Hounddog had thrown out a guess I'll see wait and see what comes of it.

Ken
Old 11-16-2014, 08:35 AM
perttime

No correct answers yet

What aircraft?
5) About 60 were built
6) 50 went to one export customer, and two other countries bought single examples (for evaluation?)

7) One or two were used in a war - but this design was getting a bit old by that time, so was probably used as a trainer only.
8) It used a license built version of a widely used engine.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:01 AM
perttime

What aircraft?
5) About 60 were built

7) One or two were used in a war - but this design was getting a bit old by that time, so was probably used as a trainer only.

9) It could be armed with 2 or 4 machineguns.
10) The war where it played "some" role did not directly involve any of the countries that bought it for military use.

(I'm shutting down now for a night and a working day. Planning to check back in less than 24 hours)

Last edited by perttime; 11-16-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:29 PM
HoundDog

I have an idea, but since Hounddog had thrown out a guess I'll see wait and see what comes of it.

Ken
Ken:
What's the Idea?
Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ken:
What's the Idea?
I'm going hold out with it for a bit because I don't have a follow up quiz just in the off chance that I am right!!! at least let me come with a quiz first. I'm not going to make that mistake again!!!!

Ken
Old 11-17-2014, 08:36 AM
perttime

--- I'd never post anything in this thread if I felt I need to have two dozen hints ready when I make my guess
An idea about a subject helps - and 10 minutes with Google does the rest... ---
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

What aircraft?
5) About 60 were built
10) The war where it played "some" role did not directly involve any of the countries that bought it for military use.

11) It was built with metal construction wings - but wooden wings were, apparently, offered as an option.
12) One example was experimentally fitted with a variable pitch propeller.

Last edited by perttime; 11-17-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:21 PM
perttime

What aircraft?
5) About 60 were built

11) It was built with metal construction wings - but wooden wings were, apparently, offered as an option.

13) The usual armament was 2 X 7.7 mm (.303) machineguns mounted in the upper wing
14) Different versions of the same radial engine design were built in several European countries and Japan.

Last edited by perttime; 11-17-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 AM
perttime

What aircraft?
5) About 60 were built

13) The usual armament was 2 X 7.7 mm (.303) machineguns mounted in the upper wing
14) Different versions of the same radial engine design were built in several European countries and Japan.

15) The "major" export customer was Poland.
16) The company name begins with the name of an engineer and aviator who did a famous "first" earlier during his career.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 AM
perttime

What aircraft?
5) About 60 were built

15) The "major" export customer was Poland.
16) The company name begins with the name of an engineer and aviator who did a famous "first" earlier during his career.

17) ... and the other part of the company name is a very familiar acronym from WW1 ...
Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bleriot-SPAD S.51?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:42 AM
perttime

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Bleriot-SPAD S.51?
Bleriot-SPAD S.51 is correct!
Your turn, Top_Gunn.

HoundDog was pretty close with Blériot-SPAD S.510 - but far enough that I didn't want to give this away yet.

From Wikipedia:
"The Bleriot-SPAD S.51 was a French fighter aircraft developed in 1924 in response to a French Air Force requirement for an aircraft to replace their obsolete Nieuport-Delage NiD.29s.

Design and development
Designed by André Herbémont, the S.51 shared its basic configuration with his other aircraft of the period, being a biplane with a swept upper wing and unswept lower wing, joined by I-shaped interplane struts. Unlike earlier designs, the S.51 used metal construction for the wings.

The prototype S.51 was rejected by the French authorities, but revised versions found export customers in the Polish Air Force, which bought 50 of them, and the Turkish and Soviet air forces which each bought a single example. Another development, the S.51/3 was experimentally fitted with the first controllable pitch propeller developed in France, also designed by Herbémont.
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bl%C3%A9riot-SPAD_S.51

Other sources:
http://www.aviastar.org/air/france/bleriot_s-51.php
http://www.aviafrance.com/aviafrance1.php?ID=126
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200783.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bleriot-SPAD S51.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2048511  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.