Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:47 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IL-2 Sturmovik
Old 11-23-2014, 05:03 PM
tunakuts3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stuka g-1
Old 11-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No correct answers thus far; but a bonus clue for all the participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) The genesis of this aircraft was simple. How could aircraft be best used to destroy enemy tanks?

(2) Bombing was generally ineffective; and it seemed some form of cannon would be the most effective weapon.

(3) Unfortunately, most available cannons were designed to be used against enemy aircraft, and were simply too small to be effective agaiinst the armor of a tank.

(4) The exegencies of war dictated that existing aircraft be utilized.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:16 AM
Ernie P.

Early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) The genesis of this aircraft was simple. How could aircraft be best used to destroy enemy tanks?

(2) Bombing was generally ineffective; and it seemed some form of cannon would be the most effective weapon.

(3) Unfortunately, most available cannons were designed to be used against enemy aircraft, and were simply too small to be effective agaiinst the armor of a tank.

(4) The exegencies of war dictated that existing production aircraft be utilized.

(5) A larger cannon was fitted to existing airframes and proved effective enough to warrant further experimentation.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 AM
HoundDog

[h=1]Douglas AC-47D Spooky aka "Puff, the Magic Dragon"[/h]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOrpyO0z48
Old 11-24-2014, 06:20 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A-10 Thunderbolt II, a.k.a. "Warthog"
Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 AM
HoundDog

[h=1]Lockheed AC-130 Has a big Canon sticking out the left side.[/h]
Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Ernie P.

No correct answers thus far, but here's an additional clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) The exegencies of war dictated that existing production aircraft be utilized.

(5) A larger cannon was fitted to existing airframes and proved effective enough to warrant further experimentation.

(6) A special version of the standard aircraft was developed; which carried not only the heavier cannons, but armor to protect the pilot, engine and radiator.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:47 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ok, the last clue seems the one that's going to get it for me. Looks like its going to be a Hawker Hurricane, specially outfitted. The exact Model is Hurricane Mark IID

Hurricane Mk IIDHurricane Mk IIB conversion armed with two 40 mm (1.57 in) anti-tank autocannons in a gondola-style pod, one under each wing and a single Browning machine gun in each wing loaded with tracers for aiming purposes. The first aircraft flew on 18 September 1941 and deliveries started in 1942. Serial built aircraft had additional armour for the pilot, radiator and engine, and were armed with a Rolls-Royce gun with 12 rounds, later changed to the 40 mm (1.57 in) Vickers S gun with 15 rounds. The outer wing attachments were strengthened so that 4G could be pulled at a weight of 8,540 lb (3,874 kg).[SUP][103][/SUP] The weight of guns and armour protection marginally impacted the aircraft's performance. These Hurricanes were nicknamed "Flying Can Openers", perhaps a play on the No. 6 Squadron's logo which flew the Hurricane starting in 1941.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by RCKen
Ok, the last clue seems the one that's going to get it for me. Looks like its going to be a Hawker Hurricane, specially outfitted. The exact Model is Hurricane Mark IID

Hurricane Mk IIDHurricane Mk IIB conversion armed with two 40 mm (1.57 in) anti-tank autocannons in a gondola-style pod, one under each wing and a single Browning machine gun in each wing loaded with tracers for aiming purposes. The first aircraft flew on 18 September 1941 and deliveries started in 1942. Serial built aircraft had additional armour for the pilot, radiator and engine, and were armed with a Rolls-Royce gun with 12 rounds, later changed to the 40 mm (1.57 in) Vickers S gun with 15 rounds. The outer wing attachments were strengthened so that 4G could be pulled at a weight of 8,540 lb (3,874 kg).[SUP][103][/SUP] The weight of guns and armour protection marginally impacted the aircraft's performance. These Hurricanes were nicknamed "Flying Can Openers", perhaps a play on the No. 6 Squadron's logo which flew the Hurricane starting in 1941.

Well, you nailed that one, RCKen. The Hurricane Mark IID it is. And you are now up! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) A special version of the standard aircraft was developed; which carried not only the heavier cannons, but armor to protect the pilot, engine and radiator.

(7) The combination not only gave new life to an increasingly outdated airframe, it proved remarkably effective.

(8) The new and larger cannons proved effective not only against enemy tanks, but against all enemy transport and combat vehicles.

(9) The new aircraft and weapons system combination proved so effective they were compared with can openers.

(10) As long as enemy fighters and anti-aircraft weren’t present, the new aircraft dominated the battlefield.

(11) A couple of machine guns were retained, and used for sighting; to preserve the limited number of cannon rounds available.

Answer: The Hurricane Mark IID
Hurricane IID

A Mark IID Hurricane of 6 Squadron at Shandur, Egypt (1942)

Mk IIs were used in ground support where it was quickly learned that destroying German tanks was difficult, the cannons did not have the performance needed while bombing the tanks was almost impossible. The solution was to equip the aircraft with a 40 mm cannon in a pod under each wing, reducing the other armament to a single Browning in each wing loaded with tracers for aiming purposes. The Hurricanes No. 6 Squadron, the first squadron equipped with this armament were so effective that the squadron was nicknamed the "Flying Can Openers". A winged can-opener became an unofficial squadron emblem, and is painted on present-day aircraft of 6 Squadron.

The layout was originally tested on a converted Mk IIB and flew on 18 September 1941. A new-build version of what was known as the Mk IID started in 1942, including additional armour for the pilot, radiator and engine. The aircraft were initially supplied with a Rolls-Royce gun and carried 12 rounds, but soon changed to the 40 mm (1.57 in) Vickers S gun with 15 rounds. The weight of guns and armour protection had a marginal effect on the aircraft's performance.

The IID undertook an anti-tank role in limited numbers during the North African campaign where, provided enemy flak and fighters were absent, they proved accurate and highly effective, not only against armoured vehicles but all motor transport.

By the end of 1941 the Hurricane was definitely outmoded as a fighter, but the basic construction proved versatile enough to be converted into an effective ground-attack and anti-tank machine. For this purpose the Mk.IID was developed (first flown on September 18, 1941) and armed with two 40mm cannon in gondolas under the wings. Two 7.7mm guns in the wings were retained for aiming purposes. The first few examples had Rolls-Royce B.F. ("B.F." means "belt-fed") cannon with 12 rounds per gun, but standard became the Vickers 'S' with 15 rounds of ammunition. With the exception of one RAF squadron, which used this type for a short time in Europe all Hurricane IIDs served in North Africa (from 1942 on) and proved very effective against German tanks. In fact this type was the most accurate anti-tank aircraft of the RAF during World War II. The first few machines were unarmored (to save weight), but since they were very vulnerable to defensive fire, 175kg of armor plates had to be added to protect pilot, radiator and engine. But this additional weight considerably reduced the performance. The Mk.IID was the last Hurricane variant with a Merlin XX engine. A small number of them was delivered to Russia in summer 1943.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Sorry guys, I had meant to have a quiz up this morning but work once again intruded. I got called very early with a network emergency at a client that I had to head out to. I'll be heading home before too long later on this evening (hopefully, fingers crossed) and I should be able to post up a new quiz later this evening, or tomorrow morning. Sorry guys for the delay.

Ken
Old 11-26-2014, 03:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ok guys, I owe a huge apology. the last two days have been really crazy for me. Usually the days before Turkey Day are really slow for me in the shop, but this year that's not true. I've had 3 clients with network emergencies and we've been nursing a sick family dog back to health that has been a real issue as she's just fighting us as she insisted on licking her wounds to the point that it is infected, and then she complains when the conehead comes out!!! Anyway, with this week officially over for me I've got the next 4 days off so I'm going to get the quiz kicked off. If the last quizzes are in indication this one may got a long time, so I've got a bunch of clues piled up just in case. So....... Let's see what happens.

As Jackie Gleason used to say.... And away we go!!!!!!

Clues:

(1) This warbird was certainly the last in one respect; and certainly the last to perform a certain feat.

(2) It was designed to use what was on hand in the way of engines and materials.

Ken
Old 11-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by RCKen
Ok guys, I owe a huge apology. the last two days have been really crazy for me. Usually the days before Turkey Day are really slow for me in the shop, but this year that's not true. I've had 3 clients with network emergencies and we've been nursing a sick family dog back to health that has been a real issue as she's just fighting us as she insisted on licking her wounds to the point that it is infected, and then she complains when the conehead comes out!!! Anyway, with this week officially over for me I've got the next 4 days off so I'm going to get the quiz kicked off. If the last quizzes are in indication this one may got a long time, so I've got a bunch of clues piled up just in case. So....... Let's see what happens.

As Jackie Gleason used to say.... And away we go!!!!!!

Clues:

(1) This warbird was certainly the last in one respect; and certainly the last to perform a certain feat.

(2) It was designed to use what was on hand in the way of engines and materials.

Ken

Ken; I hope you get a few days to relax before you have to head back into the fray. Me? After Thanksgiving, I'm going hunting Friday and Saturday. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Here are Turkey Day Morning Clues

Clues:

(3) Two newer engines weren’t ready; so it had to use an older design.

Ken
Old 11-27-2014, 08:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Ken; I hope you get a few days to relax before you have to head back into the fray. Me? After Thanksgiving, I'm going hunting Friday and Saturday. Thanks; Ernie P.
We own our own business and we always close the day after Thanksgiving. We look forward to this weekend for a long time as it's 4 solid days off that we cherish. Most of our clients are closed as well so it's normally a pretty solid bet that we are going to be left alone. the one client that had me busy the last 2 days is a bank and they are only open half a day tomorrow, so I'll cross my fingers and hope they don't have any issues tomorrow. I think I got it solved yesterday so I'm hoping that I won't have to go back out tomorrow. But that's the hazards of being self-employed. Trust me though, I wouldn't give it up for anything. I seriously doubt that I could work 9-5 job working for somebody any more.

Ken
Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 AM
HoundDog

My first 13 years as a Tool and die maker were in small job shops. The first day of my apprenticeship I was informed thet they worked 55 hour weeks 10 per day and a half day on Saturday. I went to work for a big shop in 83. By big I mean 150 tool makesr in the tool room 150 tool makers in the rest of the 37 acre plant. alos their were 399 machinest. 5500 people with production maintenance and managers and what not. After my 60 day probation I worked every single bit of Overtime I could get for 5 years. Then worked one week end in the next 12 years. The crux of my storry we had guys theat worked 8, 10, 12 hour days 7 days a week 52 weeks a year and fought over the holiday over time because they got tripple time. Holiday plus double time pay. After 50 years of this a guy would retire the come back for a visit a couple of months and make a statement like "I don't know how I ever had time to come to work I'm so busy" I was afraid to retire cause I didn't want to be that busy. In fact I'm good at NOTHING and I do NOTHING real well. Flying or just going to the field every day sure beats the He[[ out of working. Work hard sock some money away and U too can enjoy retirement.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
My first 13 years as a Tool and die maker were in small job shops. The first day of my apprenticeship I was informed thet they worked 55 hour weeks 10 per day and a half day on Saturday. I went to work for a big shop in 83. By big I mean 150 tool makesr in the tool room 150 tool makers in the rest of the 37 acre plant. alos their were 399 machinest. 5500 people with production maintenance and managers and what not. After my 60 day probation I worked every single bit of Overtime I could get for 5 years. Then worked one week end in the next 12 years. The crux of my storry we had guys theat worked 8, 10, 12 hour days 7 days a week 52 weeks a year and fought over the holiday over time because they got tripple time. Holiday plus double time pay. After 50 years of this a guy would retire the come back for a visit a couple of months and make a statement like "I don't know how I ever had time to come to work I'm so busy" I was afraid to retire cause I didn't want to be that busy. In fact I'm good at NOTHING and I do NOTHING real well. Flying or just going to the field every day sure beats the He[[ out of working. Work hard sock some money away and U too can enjoy retirement.

Good advice. I retired a couple of years ago. I'm still way too busy, but now it's all doing things I want to do or at least choose to do. Lots of volunteer/community service type efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:35 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Hope everybody didn't eat too much turkey to think about the quiz. Here's another clue for you all.

Clues:

(4) Nevertheless, it still proved to be quite fast for it’s day.

Ken
Old 11-27-2014, 07:23 PM
ochsnm00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mosquito
Old 11-27-2014, 09:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by ochsnm00
Mosquito
Good shot, but unfortunately it's not the bird that I'm looking for!!

With having a shot at the answer, that will bring in another clue then.

Clues:

(5) Enemy pilots reported it was hard to see or to pick out in the air.

Ken
Old 11-27-2014, 09:13 PM
HoundDog

Me 262
Old 11-28-2014, 08:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Me 262
The 262 is an excellent guess, but not the one I'm looking for. With this quess and it being the morning I'll put 2 new clues out in the quiz.

Clues:

(6) In pre-production trials, this aircraft was only marginally bested by aircraft utilizing much more powerful engines.

(7) Parasol winged.

Ken
Old 11-29-2014, 06:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Two new clues this evening

Clues:

(6) In pre-production trials, this aircraft was only marginally bested by aircraft utilizing much more powerful engines.

(7) Parasol winged.

(8) The first examples to go into combat suffered some very serious problems.

(9) Although very competitive with the latest enemy designs, it had one problem: The wing had a tendency to collapse.

Ken
Old 11-30-2014, 01:24 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of that plane George Peppard flys at the end of The Blue Max movie...
(insert James Mason voice here...Take her up Stahel, and let's see some real flying! )
Old 11-30-2014, 08:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by proptop
I'm thinking of that plane George Peppard flys at the end of The Blue Max movie...
(insert James Mason voice here...Take her up Stahel, and let's see some real flying! )
It's been a long long time since I've seen this movie, so I'm not quite sure if this answer it right or not. Does anybody know what plane he was flying in the movie???

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.