Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Military aircraft are built for various reasons. Not the least of these reasons is to impress a potential enemy combatant.

(2) This aircraft not only impressed a likely potential enemy, it affected that country’s policies and politics.

(3) Part of the factors involved was the confusion by that potential enemy between two different aircraft.

(4) Another was confusion as to how many of this aircraft were available for deployment.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:23 AM
SimonCraig1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tupolev Tu-4, the reverse engineered B-29 capable of strategic bombing of the US?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1
The Tupolev Tu-4, the reverse engineered B-29 capable of strategic bombing of the US?

Good thinking, SimonCraig1; and it does fit all the clues thus far; but not the plane for which we seek. But here's an extra clue to reward your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) Military aircraft are built for various reasons. Not the least of these reasons is to impress a potential enemy combatant.

(2) This aircraft not only impressed a likely potential enemy, it affected that country’s policies and politics.

(3) Part of the factors involved was the confusion by that potential enemy between two different aircraft.

(4) Another was confusion as to how many of this aircraft were available for deployment.

(5) A clever trick deceived a foreign power into believing the aircraft was in mass production, when it was, in fact, not.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:06 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heinkel He 113?
... which didn't exist but was much like the He 100.

"British intelligence featured the aircraft in AIR 40/237, a report on the Luftwaffe that was completed in 1940. There the top speed was listed as 628 km/h (390 mph). It also states the wing was 15.5 m² (167 ft²) and it noted that the aircraft was in production. Reports of 113s encountered and shot down were listed throughout the early years of the war."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_113
Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by perttime
Heinkel He 113?

"British intelligence featured the aircraft in AIR 40/237, a report on the Luftwaffe that was completed in 1940. There the top speed was listed as 628 km/h (390 mph). It also states the wing was 15.5 m² (167 ft²) and it noted that the aircraft was in production. Reports of 113s encountered and shot down were listed throughout the early years of the war."

No, Perttime; although I was expecting that answer at some point. I'm going to be out for a few hours, so here are the afternoon and evening clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) A clever trick deceived a foreign power into believing the aircraft was in mass production, when it was, in fact, not.

(6) Ultimately, less than 100 of this aircraft were produced.

(7) When first revealed, the aircraft produced a political firestorm within another country.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by perttime
Heinkel He 113?

No, Perttime; although I was expecting that answer at some point. I'm going to be out for a few hours, so here are the afternoon and evening clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(7) When first revealed, the aircraft produced a political firestorm within another country.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Mig-25
Sparky
Old 12-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Mig-25
Sparky

No, Sir; but here's an extra clue to speed things along. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) An intelligence agency within the potential adversary vastly over estimated the numbers of the aircraft which were, and would soon be, available.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

U2
Sparky
Old 12-17-2014, 01:56 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
U2
Sparky

Not the U2, Sparky; but please try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) An intelligence agency within the potential adversary vastly over estimated the numbers of the aircraft which were, and would soon be, available.

(9) It was a jet aircraft.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Not the U2, Sparky; but please try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

OH come on know it's the SR-71 / YF=12 Every thing fits.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
OH come on know it's the SR-71 / YF=12 Every thing fits.

No, Sir; not the SR-71 or any of it's versions. Sometimes, many more than one aircraft seem to fit the clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(10) The aircraft broke a number of world records.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 AM
HoundDog

10) The aircraft broke a number of world records.

See that fits too .... How about Honorable Mention LOL
Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Ernie P.

10) The aircraft broke a number of world records.

See that fits too .... How about Honorable Mention LOL

HoundDog, you now have one Honorable Mention and a gold star for effort. Now... Let's see if you can answer the question with this very significant afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) The trick referred to in (5) was one used, in a slightly different context, by Erwin Rommel.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
HoundDog, you now have one Honorable Mention and a gold star for effort. Now... Let's see if you can answer the question with this very significant afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) The trick referred to in (5) was one used, in a slightly different context, by Erwin Rommel.
Now if I get this do I have too come up with a question and Moniter it all day till some one gets it/

Then I'm NOT guessing the ME-2(5+1)2 or the ME-163 or the HE 178 nor the
ARADO 234-B-2 GERMAN TWIN JET BOMBER

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-17-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Ernie P.

Now if I get this do I have too come up with a question and Moniter it all day till some one gets it/

Then I'm NOT guessing the ME-2(5+1)2 or the ME-163 or the HE 178 nor the
ARADO 234-B-2 GERMAN TWIN JET BOMBER

HoundDog; if you answer the question, you will be up and will have the honor and privelege of asking the next question. You will be required to post at least one new clue, and answer incorrect guesses, each 24 hours. But don't worry, you aren't in the right time zone yet. Maybe this next clue will help you along. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(12) Introduced to the world at an air show.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(13) The existence and perceived capabilities of this aircraft influenced a pivotal election.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:29 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(13) The existence and perceived capabilities of this aircraft influenced a pivotal election.

(14) Used primarily for reconnaissance missions.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Ernie P.

Default Next clue

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(15) Many of the original (See (3) above) aircraft were later converted to fuel tankers.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM
SimonCraig1

the last clue made me think of this... The Vickers Valiant?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1
the last clue made me think of this... The Vickers Valiant?

SimonCraig; nice try, but not the Valiant. Please try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(15) Many of the original (See (3) above) aircraft were later converted to fuel tankers.

(16) Intelligence agencies thought the seminal aircraft, and its later derivative were one and the same aircraft. This led to a gross error in the estimates of the original aircraft’s capabilities.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:12 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(16) Intelligence agencies thought the seminal aircraft, and its later derivative were one and the same aircraft. This led to a gross error in the estimates of the original aircraft’s capabilities.

(17) Primary use of the derivative aircraft was maritime reconnaissance.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 AM
pilotal

Hopefully this time I get thru to you.. It's the Myasishchev M-4 Molot NATO code name Bison. Clue 5 gave it away
Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by pilotal
Hopefully this time I get thru to you.. It's the Myasishchev M-4 Molot NATO code name Bison. Clue 5 gave it away
Not My Guess but this is it the Myasishchev M-4 Molot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myasishchev_M-4
Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by pilotal

Close enough, pilotal; I actually wanted the follow on or derivative aircraft, the 3M. You are now up and get to ask the next question. I had thought clue (5) would get some people onto the right track; and it apparently worked for you. This bomber, and the perceptions created within American intel agencies, led to a perception of a "bomber gap", which influenced the 1960 presidential election. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(17) Primary use of the derivative aircraft was maritime reconnaissance.

(18) But, it was thought to be a bomber; because the original aircraft was a bomber.

Answer: The Russian Myasishchev 3M Bison (Bison-B)

A bomber which affected American policy:
The Myasishchev M-4 Molot (Russian: Молот (Hammer), USAF/DoD reporting name "Type 37", NATO reporting name 'Bison'.) is a four-engined strategic bomber designed by Vladimir Myasishchev and manufactured by the Soviet Union in the 1950s to provide a bomber capable of attacking targets in North America. The Myasishchev design bureau was formed to build such a bomber.

First flying soon after the first flight of the Boeing B-52 Stratofortress, the M-4 was first displayed to the public in Red Square, on May Day, 1954. The aircraft was a surprise to the United States, which had not known that the Soviets had built a jet bomber. However, it soon became clear that the bomber had an insufficient range to attack the United States and still return to the Soviet Union. Only a few of the original production M-4s were actually put into service. To remedy this problem, the Myasishchev design bureau introduced the 3M, known to the West as the 'Bison-B', which was considerably more powerful than the previous version. This new model first flew in 1955. Among other things, two of the five original gun barbettes were removed to lighten the aircraft.
In July 1955 American observers saw 28 Bisons in two groups during a Soviet air show. The United States government believed that the bomber was in mass production, and the Central Intelligence Agency estimated that 800 would be available by 1960. The display was a hoax (maskirovka); the first group of ten repeated the flyby with eight more. The classified estimates led, however, to American politicians warning of a "bomber gap".

This time, it was not the Soviet Air Force (VVS) that wanted the 3M, but rather Naval Aviation (AV-MF). Though it could still not bomb Washington, D.C., the 3M had a sufficient range to fulfill the need for a long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft. In 1959, the 3M broke numerous world records; however, it was thought by the West (and would continue to be thought so until 1961) that the 3M was the original M-4, meaning that the capability of the M-4 was vastly overestimated by Western intelligence agencies.
In the early 1960s, the 'Bison-C', with a specialized search radar, was introduced. By this time, many of the original M-4s had been converted to M-4-2 fuel tankers for aerial refueling. Later, 3Ms were converted to 3MS-2 and 3MN-2 tankers as well.
Neither the M-4 nor the 3M ever saw combat, and none were ever converted for low altitude attack, as many American B-52s were, nor were any ever exported to the Soviet Union's allies.

Myasishchev VM-T, an M-4 variant that carried over-sized cargo in a pod on top of the fuselage.
Production of the Bison aircraft stopped in 1963, by which time 93 of them had been built. The last aircraft, an M-4-2 fuel tanker, was withdrawn from service in 1994.
The three VM-T heavy lift aircraft were converted from 3MN-2 tankers, with very large loads carried piggy-back above the fuselage. The single vertical fin/rudder was replaced with two large rectangular fin/rudders at the tips of the horizontal stabilizers to improve control due to the turbulence caused by the cargo pod.
With the withdrawal of the Myasishchev bombers and tankers the vast majority of the retired airframes were broken up under the terms of the relevant arms limitation treaty. Four aircraft are known to survive:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.