Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM
zippome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the guess, but not the aircraft I am looking for.I was beginning to think I was talking to myself!

1. Twin Engines.

2. Monoplane.
3. The plane was first designed to do one job, but was purposed to do other tasks.
4. It was designed to meet a specification to do one thing differently than it's peers.
5. That specification was later dropped, but not because it didn't work.
6. Suffered from a high loss rate, but not due to any fault of the aircraft.
7. Although it was designed for one purpose, it was put into production to serve another. But not until some changes were made.
8. This aircraft went through many design changes during it's development.
9. Some include :
a) Straight wing to swept.
b) V tail to conventional.
c) Horizontal Stabilizer going from having dihedral to anhedral.
d) Also the wingtips needed some work, and wing fences had to be added.
10. When the replacement aircraft was put into service, this plane was kept in service to be used in a support role to overcome a deficiency in the new aircraft.
11. It shares it's name with at least one other military aircraft. (of an older vintage)
12. Over 1/2 of it's production run was lost due to accidents. Including one that can be watched on you tube.
13. It did hold a record of sorts for awhile, but not one to be proud of.

Ok, That's it for now!

Thanks!
Zip
Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 PM
zippome

Happy New Years!
I'll have a new clue for you tomorrow!
Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM
zippome

1. Twin Engines.

2. Monoplane.
3. The plane was first designed to do one job, but was purposed to do other tasks.
4. It was designed to meet a specification to do one thing differently than it's peers.
7. Although it was designed for one purpose, it was put into production to serve another. But not until some changes were made.
9. Some include :
10. When the replacement aircraft was put into service, this plane was kept in service to be used in a support role to overcome a deficiency in the new aircraft.
11. It shares it's name with at least one other military aircraft. (of an older vintage)
12. Over 1/2 of it's production run was lost due to accidents. Including one that can be watched on you tube.
14. Sadly, this aircraft was the last of it's line.

Ok, That's it for now!

Thanks!
Zip
Old 01-03-2015, 02:12 PM
pilotal

Could it possibly be the YAK 38 ?
Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 AM
zippome

Not the Yak 38. BUT....

1. Twin Engines.

2. Monoplane.
9. Some include :
14. Sadly, this aircraft was the last of it's line.
15. It was a naval aircraft.
16. It was not supersonic in level flight.
Ok, That's it for now!

Thanks!
Zip
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Grumman F9F Panther (straight wing) and Grumman F-9 Cougar (swept wing)

... Nope, they were single engine ...
Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 AM
adavis

Supermarine Scimitar.

=Adrian=
Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM
zippome

THAT'S IT!
adavis is correct! Supermarines last fighter, the Scimitar. It was liked by it's pilots, who found it delightful to fly. But let down by the Royal Navy's inability to field new and bigger carriers. Hence many accidents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Scimitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALLYDUKLAUo

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200129.html

Adrian, You're UP!

Thanks!
Zip
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1956 - 0129.PDF (270.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Adrian?
Old 01-07-2015, 02:52 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gentlemen; Adrian seems to have gone missing and is long overdue to post his question. The floor is now open to the first person to post a question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:36 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK This should be easy:
1. Its primary function was to destroy heavily armored naval targets.
2. Not exactly a war bird but a form of aircraft just the same.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
OK This should be easy:
1. Its primary function was to destroy heavily armored naval targets.
2. Not exactly a war bird but a form of aircraft just the same.

HoundDog; rather early to be coming to any firm decisions, but two candidates come to mind pretty easily; The German Fritz X is the most obvious candidate, but I suppose the Japanese MXY-7 Ohka cou;d also be made to fit. Thanks; Ernie P.

Fritz X was the most common name for a German guided anti-ship glide bomb used during World War II. Fritz X was a nickname used both by Allied and Luftwaffe personnel. Alternate names include Ruhrstahl SD 1400 X, Kramer X-1, PC 1400X or FX 1400 (the latter is also the origin for the name "Fritz X"). Along with the USAAF's similar Azon weapon of the same period in World War II, it is one of the precursors of today's anti-ship missiles and precision-guided weapons.

The Fritz X was a further development of the high-explosive bomb SD 1400 (Splitterbombe, dickwandig, 1400 kg). It was a penetration weapon intended to be used against heavily protected targets such as heavy cruisers and battleships. It was given a more aerodynamic nose, four stub wings, and a box shaped tail unit, consisting of a roughly 12-sided annular set of fixed surfaces, and a cruciform tail with thick surfaces within the annulus, which themselves contained the aerodynamic controls. The Luftwaffe recognized the difficulty of hitting moving ships during the Spanish Civil War. Dipl. engineer Max Kramer, who worked at the DVL, had been experimenting since 1938 with remote-controlled free-falling 250 kg bombs, and in 1939 fitted radio-controlled spoilers. In 1940, Ruhrstahl was invited to join the development, since they already had experience in the development and production of unguided bombs.

The dual-axis, single-joystick-equipped Funkgerδt (FuG 203) Kehl[Note 2] series of radio-control transmitter sets on board the deploying aircraft, were used to send the control signals to the Fritz-X, with the ordnance itself picking up the signals through a Funkgerδt (FuG 230) Straίburg receiver, named for the city, within it to send the signals on to the movable spoilers in the Fritz-X's thick vertical and horizontal tail fin surfaces, within the annular tailfin structure. The Straίburg receiver's antennas were aerodynamically integrated into the trailing edge of the annular surfaces of the tailfin, within a quartet of "bulged" sections in the trailing edge.
Minimum height was 4,000 m (13,000 ft); 5,500 m (18,000 ft) was preferred, and a range of 5 km (3.1 mi; 2.7 nmi) was necessary. The operator had to keep the bomb in sight at all times (a tail flare was provided) and the control aircraft had to hold course, which made evading gunfire or fighters impossible.

Approximately 1400 examples, including trial models, were produced.

The Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka (櫻花, Ōka?, "cherry blossom"; 桜花 in modern shinjitai orthography) was a purpose-built, rocket powered human-guided anti-shipping kamikaze attack plane employed by Japan towards the end of World War II. United States sailors gave the aircraft the nickname Baka (Japanese for "fool" or "idiot").

The MXY-7 Navy Suicide Attacker Ohka was a manned flying bomb that was usually carried underneath a Mitsubishi G4M2e "Betty" Model 24J bomber to within range of its target. On release, the pilot would first glide towards the target and when close enough he would fire the Ohka '​s three solid-fuel rockets, one at a time or in unison, and fly the missile towards the ship that he intended to destroy.

The design was conceived by Ensign Mitsuo Ohta of the 405th Kōkūtai,[5] aided by students of the Aeronautical Research Institute at the University of Tokyo. Ohta submitted his plans to the Yokosuka research facility. The Imperial Japanese Navy decided the idea had merit and Yokosuka engineers of the Yokosuka Naval Air Technical Arsenal (Dai-Ichi Kaigun Koku Gijitsusho, or in short Kugisho) created formal blueprints for what was to be the MXY7. The only variant which saw service was the Model 11, and it was powered by three Type 4 Mark 1 Model 20 rockets. 155 Ohka Model 11s were built at Yokosuka, and another 600 were built at the Kasumigaura Naval Air Arsenal.

The final approach was almost unstoppable because the aircraft gained high speed (650 km/h (400 mph) in level flight and 930 km/h (580 mph) or even 1,000 km/h (620 mph) in a dive. Later versions were designed to be launched from coastal air bases and caves, and even from submarines equipped with aircraft catapults, although none were actually used in this way. It appears that the operational record of Ohkas includes three ships sunk or damaged beyond repair and three other ships with significant damage. Seven US ships were damaged or sunk by Ohkas throughout the war. The USS Mannert L. Abele was the first Allied ship to be sunk by Ohka aircraft, near Okinawa on 12 April 1945.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:08 PM
HoundDog

ERNIE is ounce again right on he money. Yes it's No
[h=4]7. Ruhustahl SD 1400 “Fritz X” Radio-controlled Bomb[/h] I really wanted to do No.# 3 but I didn't think I could make that one fly.
Check out No 3
http://io9.com/11-jaw-dropping-weapo...ably-511010752
Old 01-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Ernie P.

7. Ruhustahl SD 1400 “Fritz X” Radio-controlled Bomb

I really wanted to do No.# 3 but I didn't think I could make that one fly.
Check out No 3

HoundDog; thank you, Sir. If they had used a pig instead of a rat, you could have made the leap. Sorry to be slow in responding, but I had trouble getting logged back in. Anyhow... Thanks; Ernie P.

All;
In poker, it isn’t the bad hands that hurt you… it’s the great, but second best, hands that kill you. There may be a lesson there regarding this warbird.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) This was a warbird which was never popular with its pilots.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Ernie P.

7. Ruhustahl SD 1400 “Fritz X” Radio-controlled Bomb

I really wanted to do No.# 3 but I didn't think I could make that one fly.
Check out No 3

HoundDog; thank you, Sir. If they had used a pig instead of a rat, you could have made the leap. Sorry to be slow in responding, but I had trouble getting logged back in. Anyhow... Thanks; Ernie P.

All;
In poker, it isn’t the bad hands that hurt you… it’s the great, but second best, hands that kill you. There may be a lesson there regarding this warbird.

Clues:

Old 01-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) Although a good aircraft, it suffered in one key area; it suffered mainly in comparison with another contemporary aircraft.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:16 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) Although a good aircraft, it suffered in one key area; it suffered mainly in comparison with another contemporary aircraft.
British Fairey Battle
Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Ernie P.

British Fairey Battle

Good thinking, HoundDog; but not the Battle. Please try again after viewing this evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(3) The other aircraft was fielded by the same air force as this one; and the pilots simply preferred the other. Probably with good reason, as the other was an iconic aircraft.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:46 PM
HoundDog

Good thinking, HoundDog; but not the Battle. Please try again after viewing this evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(3) The other aircraft was fielded by the same air force as this one; and the pilots simply preferred the other. Probably with good reason, as the other was an iconic aircraft.
British Fairey Fulmar
Old 01-08-2015, 06:14 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8?

No correct answers thus far; but lots of participation. So, here's a bonus clue as a reward for effort by HoundDog and JohnnyS. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) The aircraft you seek was supposedly heavy on the controls, and not quite so maneuverable as was desired.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:18 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Beaufighter?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 AM
pilotal

Bell P-39 ?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 AM
HoundDog

No correct answers thus far; but lots of participation. So, here's a bonus clue as a reward for effort by HoundDog and JohnnyS. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) The aircraft you seek was supposedly heavy on the controls, and not quite so maneuverable as was desired.
Hawker Typhoon or Hawker Hurricane

Think I'll take off ang go to the AMA convention in Onterio CA.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:59 AM
zippome

Kawasaki Ki-61 "Tony"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.