Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 05-06-2015, 10:05 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah...I am going to have to cop-out and say that because there have been so many planes already talked about, it's getting tougher and tougher to come up with something new.

I guess I have chickened out on answering a few quizes because I know how difficult it can be to find a new aircraft to talk about.

IIRC though, part of the original "rules" if you wanna call 'em that, were that the quizzer (? ) would wait to give additional clues until after someone had made a guess?

I think the quiz is a great thread, but it is just like many things in life...there is ebb and flo...ups and downs...etc.

And...the weather is getting nice again, so more of us are out and about and maybe even occasionally at the flyin' field!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Super Crusader, it had a bigger motor went like a scalded cat.
Oops It only had one motor.
Sparky
Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 AM
uncljoe

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Friends,

I think we're getting a lot of lurkers and not many people who want to pose new quiz questions. Do we need to do something to improve participation?

Maybe we change the rules so we only provide new clues when someone poses a guess? Any other ideas?

There are a lot of people lurking and watching, and I have to admit that many times I am one of them. In the case of the last 2 quizzes I had the answers several clues before the the answers finally came out. But in fairness to the quiz I'm not answering because right now I'm super busy at work and with my duties here at RCU. It would be really hard for me to keep up with posting a new quiz and putting out the new clues in a timely manner. So in my defense that's why I'm just lurking and having fun just researching to try and find the answers to each quiz as it comes out. Maybe one day when if I'm not quite so busy I'll answer one so that I can post a new quiz.

Guy's If the thread ends so be it,But to me as long as there is any activity let it run.Hell every now & someone will open a thread from 2003 on the jet page,so let's NOT end.Besides its a great source of trivia .

Semper Fi
Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
JohnnyS

New clue.

1. Only one built: It was a prototype for an improved version of a well-known aircraft.
2. First flight 1970.
3. Two engines.
4. Single wing, variable incidence.
5. The fuselage in this prototype was stretched 100".
6. This prototype had a fly-by-wire control system, unlike the original aircraft.

Also note this aircraft is mentioned in Wikipedia, but it does not have its own Wikipedia page.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:53 AM
JohnnyS

New clue.

1. Only one built: It was a prototype for an improved version of a well-known aircraft.
2. First flight 1970.
3. Two engines.
6. This prototype had a fly-by-wire control system, unlike the original aircraft.
7. This prototype had retractable main landing gear, unlike the original aircraft.

Also note this aircraft is mentioned in Wikipedia, but it does not have its own Wikipedia page.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:55 PM
uncljoe

Johnny you posted a GOOD question , I'm waiting on future clues as I'm leaning towards those aircraft with rotors
Joe
Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concur with the rotors. 1970 is a bit late to be adding retractable gear to a fixed wing! But then what about the variable incidence single wing?

Terry

Last edited by Redback; 05-07-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:19 AM
JohnnyS

New clue.

2. First flight 1970.
3. Two engines.
7. This prototype had retractable main landing gear, unlike the original aircraft.
8. This prototype had two separate pilot's positions.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm thinking the F111, Mig 23 or the Tornado
Just for the record, there are several areas that were wrong in the info on the Devastator. Gay didn't use his liferaft until after the Japanese fleet had left the area as it would have given him away. He held a seat cushion over his head and floated in his Mae West. The three aviators found by the Japanese were found because they were in their red life rafts, making them easy to see. The survivors from VT-6 and VT-3 didn't distract the Japanese cap in any way either. In fact, VT-8's TBDs had attacked over an hour before the dive bombers arrived and the cap pilots let the few VT-6 survivors go after they had dropped their torpedoes. VT-3 didn't even make their attack on the Hiryu until AFTER the other three carriers had been bombed. The six VF-3 Wildcats that were there to cover VT-3 were jumped by Japanese A6Ms and actually downed several in exchange for one F4F. The Wildcats actually proved to be more of a distraction than the Devastators. During the battle, what became a common theme was that the A6Ms could only knock down the American planes if they had 20mm shells for their wing guns. Once the 60 rounds per wing cannon were gone, the 7.7mm machine guns over the nose could only destroy their targets by killing the pilot

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 05-08-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:58 AM
JohnnyS

Nope, sorry.

New clue.

2. First flight 1970.
3. Two engines.
9. The two pilot's positions did not face in the same direction.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:58 AM
uncljoe

Hydro Junkie
I did know that Ensign Gay,used a seat cushion, but felt it would have made the answer too easy . As far as the other information provided by Wikipedia some might be called " FOG of WAR"
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 05-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uncljoe
Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Friends,

I think we're getting a lot of lurkers and not many people who want to pose new quiz questions. Do we need to do something to improve participation?

Maybe we change the rules so we only provide new clues when someone poses a guess? Any other ideas?

There are a lot of people lurking and watching, and I have to admit that many times I am one of them. In the case of the last 2 quizzes I had the answers several clues before the the answers finally came out. But in fairness to the quiz I'm not answering because right now I'm super busy at work and with my duties here at RCU. It would be really hard for me to keep up with posting a new quiz and putting out the new clues in a timely manner. So in my defense that's why I'm just lurking and having fun just researching to try and find the answers to each quiz as it comes out. Maybe one day when if I'm not quite so busy I'll answer one so that I can post a new quiz.

Guy's If the thread ends so be it,But to me as long as there is any activity let it run.Hell every now & someone will open a thread from 2003 on the jet page,so let's NOT end.Besides its a great source of trivia .

Semper Fi
Right at the moment, I am very much in the lurker mode; mainly because of other activities, but also because I am afraid of simply talking too much. No one wants any one person to dominate the conversation. So, I tend to hang back a bit. But I think there is still much to learn for all of us. Sometimes things get slow; but that's okay. We all have other obligations. Right now, I'm for letting things run at least a while longer. And if it gets too slow, I'll jump in. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 PM
JohnnyS

New clue.

2. First flight 1970.
3. Two engines.
10. One of the two pilot's positions was in a retractable gondola.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:41 AM
JohnnyS

New clue: (I need to finish this up soon, as I fly out to Minneapolis on Monday so I'm going to be too busy to really do a good job. )

2. First flight 1970.
3. Two engines.
10. One of the two pilot's positions was in a retractable gondola.
11. The wing could be detached (in two pieces) and stowed within the aircraft, if necessary.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:16 PM
uncljoe

​Johnny ,

It's gotta be the Boeing BV347

Winged Chinook — Boeing Vertol Model BV-347 walkaround

24 AUGUST 2011

Winged Chinook — Boeing Vertol Model BV-347 walkaround
31Ί 19′ 25″ N / 85Ί 42′ 49″ W
The Boeing Vertol Model BV-347 made for a rare Chinook. Flight testing began in May 1970 to research helicopter design for the U.S. Army’s Heavy Lift Helicopter Program.
These modifications include:
  • Four rotor blades in each hub, an increase from three, with each blade also having a 30” (76.2cm) increase in length.
  • Stronger engines
  • Fuselage lengthened by 100” (279.4cm)
  • Aft mast height increased by 30” (76.2cm)
  • Retractable main gear
  • Fly-by-wire system
  • Installation of a gondola which could be lowered from the cockpit where a pilot (facing to the rear) could fly the Chinook
  • Detachable wing which was controlled hydraulically to vary incidence (rotating upward 90Ί while in hovering)
These images of this rare Chinook were taken April 2011 at the U.S. Army Aviation Museum* but for more photos, as well of images of the interior showing the retracted gondola, please go to this Chinook Helicopter web site**. The gondola must have been a good piece of engineering since a pilot was lowered with a set of flying controls but it must have been a risky proposition for that pilot. The gondola pilot would be hovering under a load while maneuvering a load of cargo and should the helicopter lose power the Chinook would be settling to the ground quicker than the gondola could be retracted — the gondola pilot would be landing an instant before the Chinook, sandwiched between the ground and helicopter.
The modified Boeing CH-47A Chinook, four rotor blade hubs, longer fuselage and wing evident — photo by Joseph May

The left wing, note the flaps that would deploy with relation to airspeed and load also the bay the retracted gear was stowed within — photo by Joseph May

The taller rear mast and view of the wing which could alter its incidence through 90 degrees of rotation from the horizontal to the vertical — photo by Joseph May

The wing showing the jack screw housings which controlled the flaps — photo by Joseph May

The longer rotor blades can clearly be viewed in this image — photo by Joseph May

The wings were an investigation into increasing the range and payload of the Chinook. They could be detached and stowed within the Chinook, as well.

Johnny ,great question .Have a safe trip to Mpls....
Semper Fi
joe

Last edited by uncljoe; 05-09-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:19 AM
JohnnyS

And you have it exactly right, Uncljoe! Well done!

Your turn now!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:23 AM
uncljoe

give me a few hours to come up with a question.
semper fi
Old 05-10-2015, 08:51 AM
uncljoe

Should be a softball......
1. Like a dinosaur stepping through a time warp this aircraft was a prehistoric machine caught up in WW2.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:01 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uncljoe
Should be a softball......
1. Like a dinosaur stepping through a time warp this aircraft was a prehistoric machine caught up in WW2.
Grumman F3F
Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Option 1: F2A Buffalo, was flown by the US through Midway and by the Fins against the Russians
Option 2: Stearman Biplane, used as a trainer throughout the war for beginner pilots before transitioning to the AT-6 advanced trainer
Old 05-10-2015, 01:57 PM
uncljoe

Neither of those although they appear to have walked with the dinosaurs
2.This aircraft did resembled an aircraft of the early 20's.except for its modern ,enclosed cockpit area,it was a biplane with fabric surfaces,single engine.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Redback

Supermarine Walrus?

Terry
Old 05-10-2015, 03:16 PM
uncljoe

DING ,DiNG , DING We have a Winner
Terry your up
Old 05-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Redback

Oh no, caught without a question again!!!

Give me a little time, I'll come up with something!

Terry
Old 05-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Redback

OK, try this one:

1. This series of bombing raids achieved a particular distinction at the time, though this was surpassed in a later war.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.