Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 08-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Francis "Gabby" Gabreski?
Was one of the few pilots that got off the ground and fought at Peal Harbor, flew with "Hub" Zemkie's Wolfpack over Europe where he was shot down and captured, later escaping. By the end of the war, he had 28 confirmed kills and was the ETO's highest scoring pilot. Flew during the Korean War, scored 6.5 more confirmed kills making him the US's highest scoring ace with 34.5 confirmed kills
Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Francis "Gabby" Gabreski?
Was one of the few pilots that got off the ground and fought at Peal Harbor, flew with "Hub" Zemkie's Wolfpack over Europe where he was shot down and captured, later escaping. By the end of the war, he had 28 confirmed kills and was the ETO's highest scoring pilot. Flew during the Korean War, scored 6.5 more confirmed kills making him the US's highest scoring ace with 34.5 confirmed kills
No, Sir; not Gabreski. But here's a bonus clue to reward your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:
  1. He was a pilot prior to the beginning of his war.
  2. He survived the war, but is a relative unknown; although he led the victory roles in at least two categories, perhaps three.
  3. His first combat posting was nearly a year after the war had begun.
  4. He flew throughout a major air campaign without scoring a single victory.
  5. His first victory came after over eight months of combat flying.
  6. He was transferred to a different war zone six weeks later, and quickly scored two more victories.
  7. A month later, he was shot down and slightly wounded.
  8. Within the next month, he ran his victory score to 10, before being critically injured in a ground collision with another aircraft.
  9. After he recovered, he spent a year as a fighter training instructor.
  10. Then he was posted to his original war zone, to take on a new role.
  11. Working with another fighter pilot, he helped develop new tactics for fighter aircraft, which were quite successful.
  12. Three months later, he became a squadron leader of a very famous unit.
  13. The following month he, after a successful encounter with enemy units, was wounded when his aircraft flipped over upon landing.
  14. Still, two months later, he had added to his score; having destroyed 20 enemy aircraft.
  15. He was then transferred to another unit; and, two months later, was forced to bail out from his damaged aircraft and was injured yet again.
  16. The following spring, he was transferred to yet another famous fighter unit.
  17. The following month, he was forced to bail out of his damaged aircraft yet again.
  18. The month after that, he was forced to make an emergency landing following a successful encounter with an enemy unit.
  19. He added to his victory list while covering friendly ground units during an historic land battle; receiving a coveted award.
  20. A couple of months later, he was appointed to command yet another unit.
  21. While commanding the new unit, he led a number of successful attacks against ground units. During two separate attacks against enemy tanks, he scored against enemy aircraft.
  22. The following month, he was promoted to command a larger unit, after its commander was killed in combat.
  23. Later the same month, he was transferred to command a new fighter unit.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:45 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

He's a German
Old 08-10-2015, 01:14 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
He's a German
Well, elmshoot; I'm neither confirming or denying. However, I'm curious to know your reasoning. And, I'll offer another clue to reward your participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  2. He survived the war, but is a relative unknown; although he led the victory roles in at least two categories, perhaps three.
  6. He was transferred to a different war zone six weeks later, and quickly scored two more victories.
  8. Within the next month, he ran his victory score to 10, before being critically injured in a ground collision with another aircraft.
  11. Working with another fighter pilot, he helped develop new tactics for fighter aircraft, which were quite successful.
  13. The following month he, after a successful encounter with enemy units, was wounded when his aircraft flipped over upon landing.
  14. Still, two months later, he had added to his score; having destroyed 20 enemy aircraft.
  15. He was then transferred to another unit; and, two months later, was forced to bail out from his damaged aircraft and was injured yet again.
  16. The following spring, he was transferred to yet another famous fighter unit.
  17. The following month, he was forced to bail out of his damaged aircraft yet again.
  18. The month after that, he was forced to make an emergency landing following a successful encounter with an enemy unit.
  19. He added to his victory list while covering friendly ground units during an historic land battle; receiving a coveted award.
  21. While commanding the new unit, he led a number of successful attacks against ground units. During two separate attacks against enemy tanks, he scored against enemy aircraft.
  22. The following month, he was promoted to command a larger unit, after its commander was killed in combat.
  24. A month later, while engaging enemy ground forces during yet another famous land battle, he was credited with destroying a large number of enemy aircraft during an attack on an enemy airfield.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 08-10-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 AM
Ernie P.

Here's a morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  24. A month later, while engaging enemy ground forces during yet another famous land battle, he was credited with destroying a large number of enemy aircraft during an attack on an enemy airfield.
  25. Less than a month later, he was shot down by enemy aircraft who caught him trying to land.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:19 AM
Hydro Junkie

Adolph Galland
Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Adolph Galland
Good guess, Hydro Junkie; but this guy was shot down a few more times than Galland. And Galland is hardly an unknown. Still, not a bad guess and you now have an afternoon clue to help you figure out the name of this all but unknown fighter pilot. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  25. Less than a month later, he was shot down by enemy aircraft who caught him trying to land.
  26. He broke both legs, and spent the remainder of the war in hospital.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:51 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong pilot ,deleated post

Last edited by uncljoe; 08-10-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gerhard Barkhorn? I haven't checked him against all the clues, but he seems to fit many of them. And his is not all that familiar a name for a very high-scoring pilot.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:57 PM
elmshoot

Gabby Gabreski?
PS I had help
Sparky
Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM
uncljoe

Sparky , IMO you should try and read other posts before you SWAG . Hydro junkie post 11625 and Ernie responded to the Gabby Gabreski guess
Semper Fi
Old 08-10-2015, 03:11 PM
elmshoot

OOPS I had read it but the refreash thing tripped me up sorry to offend
Old 08-10-2015, 05:06 PM
uncljoe

Strickly a SWAG .....[h=1]Georg-Peter Eder[/h]
Old 08-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by uncljoe
Strickly a SWAG .....Georg-Peter Eder
Yes!!! You got it, uncljoe; and you are now up to ask the next question. Georg-Peter Eder flew 572 combat missions of which 150 were with the Messerschmitt Me 262. On the Eastern Front he scored 10 victories and on the Western Front 68, of which no less than 36 were four-engined bombers. With the Me 262 he scored at least 12 victories, at least one sources indicate that this number could be as high or even higher than 24 kills. He was the leading scorer against the four-engined bombers, and leading air ace against the USAAF, claiming some 56 US flown aircraft. Eder himself was shot down 17 times, bailing out 9 times, and was wounded 14 times. Quite a record for an almost unknown pilot, wouldn't you say? Thanks; Ernie P.

This pilot’s main attribute or skill was simple survival. He learned his craft perhaps slowly, but in time became a truly lethal threat to his opponents.

Clues:
  26. He broke both legs, and spent the remainder of the war in hospital.
  27. He flew over 500 combat sorties.
  28. Over 150 of those sorties were with a renowned new aircraft.
  29. He scored ten aerial victories on one front; and over 60 on another.
  30. Nearly 40 of his victories were against aircraft considered to be very difficult to shoot down. He was the leading scored against those aircraft.
  31. He was the leading scorer against one enemy air force; scoring 56 victories against them.
  32. He scored at least a dozen victories, and perhaps at least twice that many, while commanding a new, experimental fighter unit. He may have been the leading scorer with that unit.
  33. He was wounded at least a dozen times; being shot down 17 times and forced to bail out nine times.

Answer: Georg-Peter Schorsch Eder

Georg-Peter Schorsch Eder (born 8 March 1921 in Oberdachstetten, died 11 March 1986 in Wiesbaden) was a German World War II fighter ace who served in the Luftwaffe from 1938 until the end of World War II in 1945. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Eder flew 572 combat missions claiming 78 enemy aircraft shot down.

Eder joined the Luftwaffe as Fahnenjunker at the age of 17 in 1938. In the beginning of April 1939 Eder enrolled in the Luftkriegsschule 2 (air war school) at Berlin-Gatow. His first combat appointment was to 1 Staffel, Jagdgeschwader 51 (JG 51—51st Fighter Wing) on 1 September 1940. He flew all through the Battle of Britain but did not claim any victories.

In May 1941 he joined 4./JG 51 and claimed his first aircraft, a Spitfire, on 7 May. Eder then flew with JG 51 in the opening months of the campaign on the Eastern Front, destroying two Russian aircraft on 22 June. However, on 24 July he was shot down and slightly wounded. On 22 August, after 10 victories, Eder's fighter collided with a Junkers Ju 52 on the ground at Ponjatowska. Eder suffered a skull fracture.

After recovery, Eder served as a flight instructor with Jagdfliegerschule 2 (fighter pilot school) at Zerbst from November 1941 to November 1942.

In November 1942 Eder was sent to 7./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen" (JG 2—2nd Fighter Wing), named after the after World War I fighter ace Manfred von Richthofen, in France, and participated in the battle against the American Eighth Air Force day bombing offensive. With Hauptmann Egon Mayer of III./JG 2 "Richthofen", Eder developed the head-on attack strategy to combat the formations of Boeing B-17s and Consolidated B-24s. The concept was based on a Kette (chain), three aircraft flying in a "V" formation, attacking from ahead and to the left. When in range, the attackers opened fire with a deflection burst, aiming in front of the enemy aircraft. Following the attack, the pilots would pull up sharply to the left or right. This gave the attacking fighters the best chance of avoiding the massed firepower of the bombers' guns.

In February 1943 Eder became Staffelkapitδn (squadron leader) of 12./JG 2 "Richthofen". On 28 March after downing a B-17, he was wounded when his Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-4 somersaulted on landing at Beaumont-le-Roger. Eder destroyed his 20th aircraft on 29 May 1943. On 5 September 1943, Eder was transferred to 5./JG 2. On 5 November, Eder was again forced to bail out of his Bf 109 and was again injured.

In March 1944 Oberleutnant Eder was transferred to 6./Jagdgeschwader 1 "Udet" (JG 1—1st Fighter Wing), named after the after World War I fighter ace Ernst Udet, in Northern Germany. He bailed out of his Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-7 during combat with a P-47 "Thunderbolt" over Gφttingen on 19 April. On 8 May, he claimed a B-24 but made an emergency landing at Vechta.

By the end of May he had a total of 49 victories. As Gruppenkommandeur II./JG 1 "Udet" he fought in the aerial battles over Normandy during the Allied invasion, and on 21 June 1944 recorded his 50th victory. On 24 June Eder received the Ritterkreuz.

On 11 August 1944 Eder took command of 6 Staffel, Jagdgeschwader 26 (JG 26—26th Fighter Wing). Attacking Allied armour near Dreux on 17 August Eder shot down a Spitfire at low level; it crashed between two M4 Sherman tanks, destroying them. Shortly after that he shot down another Spitfire, which crashed on another tank, setting it on fire.

On 4 September Hauptmann Eder became Gruppenkommandeur II./JG 26, after the unit's Gruppenkommandeur Hauptmann Emil Lang was killed in action against United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) Thunderbolts over St Trond. In September Hauptmann Eder was transferred to Erprobungskommando 262 and appointed Staffelkapitδn, 1./Kommando Nowotny.

On 19 November, following the redesignation of the unit to Jagdgeschwader 7 (JG 7—7th Fighter Wing), he commanded 9 Staffel, flying the Messerschmitt Me 262 in combat.

During the Ardennes offensive, Eder claimed 40 P-47s destroyed on the ground. He was awarded the Oak Leaves on 25 November 1944 for some 60 victories. On 22 January he was shot down near Parchim by P-51s while trying to land. He broke both legs and spent the rest of the war in hospital at Wismar and Bad Wiessee, where he was captured by the US Army.

Georg-Peter Eder flew 572 combat missions of which 150 were with the Messerschmitt Me 262. On the Eastern Front he scored 10 victories and on the Western Front 68, of which no less than 36 were four-engined bombers. With the Me 262 he scored at least 12 victories, at least one sources indicate that this number could be as high or even higher than 24 kills. He was the leading scorer against the four-engined bombers, and leading air ace against the USAAF, claiming some 56 US flown aircraft. Eder himself was shot down 17 times, bailing out 9 times, and was wounded 14 times.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 PM
uncljoe

That was a tough one Erine . If someone has a question ready fire away,
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 08-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Ernie P.

That was a tough one Erine . If someone has a question ready fire away,
Semper Fi
Joe
Okay, guys; uncljoe has declared the floor to be open to the first person to post a question. Anyone wanting to take the lead, please post your question. First to post has the conch shell. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

I've got a fairly simple one for you all to play with until someone else can come up with something harder:
Name the plane that was deemed(for lack of a better term) unfit for service when initially introduced but went on to have a fantastic career. Here are your clues:
1) It was found to be inferior in performance to all it's contemporaries in one way or another
Old 08-12-2015, 04:59 AM
elmshoot

Every plane I flew in the Navy
Old 08-12-2015, 05:58 AM
Hydro Junkie

So what planes did you fly?
Sorry, but that doesn't qualify as a guess
Old 08-12-2015, 09:00 AM
JohnnyS

P-40 Warhawk?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:46 AM
elmshoot

T-34B/C, T-2B/C, T-39D?, TC-4C, TA4F, A4F, A-6E, EA-6B, S-3.
Maybe missed some.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Hydro Junkie

You flew Prowlers? Where at and what squadron? I used to work on them. They were the fastest NON-AFTERBURNING plane in the airwing
DAMN Johnny, that was fast. Your turn
The P-40 was slower than it's European counterparts at the altitude they normally fought at(20,000+ feet) due to the single stage supercharger on its Allison engine. It also couldn't turn with an A6M(but then again, no allied fighter in the war could) which was optimized for combat below 15,000 feet. It was also the only prewar land based monoplane, other than the British Spits and Canes to not be armed with a 20mm or larger cannon. When used at lower altitudes, it was an equal to the ME-109 as shown over the Med in 1942

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-13-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:20 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
P-40 Warhawk?
Could it not haven a "Tommy Hawk" (spelling phonetic) or the Kitty Hawk also?
Just asking.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 AM
uncljoe

HoundDog , I would say yes,but I did not post the question.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HoundDog , I would say yes,but I did not post the question.
of course but U came up with the correct answer. I'm just saying that those (according to Wick) are all the same plane just depended on who was flying it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis...rhawk_variants

P-40 Warhawk
Tomahawk / Kittyhawk

[TABLE="class: infobox, width: 315"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Tomahawk of No. 3 Squadron RAAF in North Africa, 23 December 1941.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Role[/TH]
[TD]Fighter aircraft[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]National origin[/TH]
[TD]United States[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Manufacturer[/TH]
[TD]Curtiss-Wright Corporation
Buffalo, New York[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Designer[/TH]
[TD]Don R. Berlin[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]First flight[/TH]
[TD]14 October 1938[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Retired[/TH]
[TD]1958: FAB (Brazil)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Primary users[/TH]
[TD]United States Army Air Forces
Royal Air Force
Royal Australian Air Force
Royal Canadian Air Force
Royal New Zealand Air Force
Many others[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Produced[/TH]
[TD]1939–1944
Buffalo, New York[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Number built[/TH]
[TD]13,738[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Unit cost[/TH]
[TD]US$44,892 in 1944[SUP][2][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Developed from[/TH]
[TD]Curtiss P-36 Hawk[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Variants[/TH]
[TD]Curtiss XP-46[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.