Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd spend $44K for a Tommy Hawk!
Hydro Junkie. Prowlers in VAQ-135 78-80 in Kitty Hawk two deployments. VAQ-132 90-91 in Saratoga Desert Storm.
In between I was flying Intruders. VA-95 84-87 in Enterprise two deployments VA-196 88-89 in Constellation pluss all the workups. 5 Years day for day at sea.
I listed planes off the top of my head in the above post, upon further reflection it is a TA-4J not the F. But I could be wrong.
I went to NUW last month for the Prowler Sunset 44 years aboard ship.... that is the longest of any airframe.
There were a lot of Old Guys there.
Sparky
Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops... I won with a WAG.

Now I have to come up with a new one. Hmmm.

1. In one theatre of war flown by one country, it was thought to be a terrible aircraft that was certain death to its pilots in combat.
2. In a different theatre of war flown by a different country, it was extremely successful and very popular with its pilots, who racked up a kill ratio of 26:1 in one particular squadron.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Oops... I won with a WAG.

Now I have to come up with a new one. Hmmm.

1. In one theatre of war flown by one country, it was thought to be a terrible aircraft that was certain death to its pilots in combat.
2. In a different theatre of war flown by a different country, it was extremely successful and very popular with its pilots, who racked up a kill ratio of 26:1 in one particular squadron.

Brewster F2A Buffalo ?????

Ken
Old 08-13-2015, 02:12 PM
JohnnyS

Well, that was quick. Well done, RCKen! Over to you!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I knew that one as well. It was cannon fodder in the Pacific where, at Midway, they were wiped out by the highly skilled A6M pilots. Over Europe, it was flown by the Finns against the Russians. It was highly effective against the Russian aircraft it was flown against but as to the why, who knows. To be fair, however, the Buffalos and Wildcats that flew at Midway were outnumbered, 19 Buffs and four cats to 36 A6Ms. Between the 23 Marine fighters, one A6M and four Kates were shot down with seven more Kates damaged to varying degrees. Of the Marine aircraft, three Wildcats and seven Buffalos made it back. Of these, four of them crash-landing and only two of the remaining six being able to fly again. 14 Marines were killed in action, including squadron commanding officer Major Floyd Parks, who was repeatedly strafed in his parachute after bailing out of his burning Buffalo

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-13-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:21 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Guess we all were a little slow on the enter key ... Great Ken, now gives us one that Ernie would be proud of, (Kidding Ernie)
Semper Fi
Old 08-14-2015, 07:42 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

The 26:1 kill ratio made the search pretty much too easy!!!

I'll get a new quiz put together today and get it put up, unless somebody else has something already to go then they can go ahead and slap it up. I for one wouldn't mind!!!! Otherwise I'll have one up later today, hopefully!!!!! (I have a pretty busy day full of work today)

Ken
Old 08-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys; RCKen has declared the floor available to any one who has a question. First to post has the floor. If no one responds, and RCKen doesn't post, I will post a question tomorrow afternoon. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:42 PM
proptop

Ya gotta quiz question yet Ken...?

I have an oddball one stashed away, so... if ya want I will post it...?
Old 08-16-2015, 12:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ernie,
Thanks. If somebody has one please go ahead and post it. I have to apologize to the group. I had a client emergency on Friday that has taken up the majority of my weekend and I haven't had a chance to post up a quiz. I work IT for a living and if anybody else out there does IT knows how quickly your days can change. I have a client that had a server die on Friday and I've been working all weekend on getting it replaced and getting the new one up and running. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and should be finished up later on this evening. I won't be able to research a quiz until then. If anybody (or Ernie) has one ready to go please feel free to take the floor and post out your quiz, I for one definitely won't feel slighted in the least. I thought that I had plenty of time on Friday when I answered the last quiz to research the new quiz so I felt comfortable putting up an answer. But after this I'm going do things differently for myself from now on. When I'm absolutely sure that I have the right answer I am not going to post it until I a new quiz already ready to go!!! that way I know that I wont' get caught like this again.

Sorry guys, I need to apologize to the group for this happening.

Ken
Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 PM
proptop

I see we posted at the same time Ken...

My quiz question(s) will be up soon...I have the subject...just need to put it / them into question form...
Old 08-16-2015, 04:22 PM
proptop

Here goes...there isn't a whole lot of info on this one (which is a clue in itself) so I hope someone gets it before I run out of questions...

Looking for an Aircraft...
Light Bomber...
Single Engine...
Old 08-16-2015, 04:48 PM
proptop

Light Bomber...
Single Engine...
Made by a company that also made Automobiles and their engines...
Old 08-16-2015, 05:09 PM
proptop

Light Bomber...
Single Engine...
This company also made "Heavy Metal" stuff, and things that go BOOM!

The engine powering our aircraft in question was also made (license built copy) by the same parent co. that made the aircraft.

Last edited by proptop; 08-16-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

A-36 Apache
Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 PM
proptop

Not the A-36 H-J...

Light Bomber...
Single Engine...

The engine powering our aircraft in question was also made (license built copy) by the same parent co. that made the aircraft.

2 seater...
Old 08-17-2015, 05:45 AM
proptop

Light Bomber...
Single Engine...

2 seater...

O.K....for a fairly obscure airplane, how about an obscure (obtuse?) clue...

Question: In the 1960's T.V. show "Green Acres" who was Eddie Albert married to? (think Nationality)
Old 08-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Evenbigger D
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spijker V2

Last edited by Evenbigger D; 08-17-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 AM
proptop

Nope...not quite the "Nationality" I was hinting at...

Light Bomber...
Single Engine...

2 seater...

Question: In the 1960's T.V. show "Green Acres" who was Eddie Albert married to? (think Nationality)

Radial engine...
Old 08-17-2015, 06:32 AM
Evenbigger D
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saab B17
Old 08-17-2015, 06:37 AM
Hydro Junkie

Reggiane Re.2000 Falco I
Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 AM
proptop

Evenbigger D ... not a SAAB...is the "Green Acres" hint a bit before your time?
Old 08-17-2015, 06:40 AM
proptop

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Reggiane Re.2000 Falco I
Nope....that one is a bit too new...too modern...
Old 08-17-2015, 06:42 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by proptop
Nope...not quite the "Nationality" I was hinting at...

Light Bomber...
Single Engine...

2 seater...

Radial engine...

Okay; if we're down to Green Acres, I'll take a shot. How about the Weiss WM-21 Solyom (Falcon)? Thanks; Ernie P.

Aircraft:
The Weiss WM-21 Sólyom (English: Falcon) was a 1930s Hungarian light bomber and reconnaissance biplane developed by the Manfred Weiss company from the earlier WM-16 which was based on the Fokker C.V.
The WM-21 was designed to replace the WM-16, which was considered unsuitable for operational service. The WM-21's structure was strengthened, and the aircraft received a new, more efficient wing set. A tailskid was fitted to allow for shorter landing runs on grass airfields.[SUP][1][/SUP] A conventional biplane, the Sólyom was powered by a 870 hp (649 kW) Weiss WM-K-14A radial engine. A total of 128 aircraft were built by three different factories, Manfred Weiss built 25, 43 by MAVAG and 60 by MWG.
The first aircraft entered service in 1939 with short-range reconnaissance units, although active during the 1940 dispute with Romania their first active operational use was during the Axis invasion of Yugoslavia in August 1941. From June 1941 they were used to support Hungarian Army units in Ukraine and then against Soviet partisans. Around 80 aircraft were also transferred to duties as trainers, as they were removed from operational use, until 1945.

Engine:
The Gnome-Rhône 14K Mistral Major was a 14-cylinder, two-row, air-cooled radial engine. It was Gnome-Rhône's major aircraft engine prior to World War II, and matured into a highly sought-after design that would see licensed production throughout Europe and Japan. Thousands of Mistral Major engines were produced, used on a wide variety of aircraft.
In 1921 Gnome-Rhône purchased a license for the highly successful Bristol Jupiter engine and produced it until about 1930, alongside the smaller Bristol Titan. Starting in 1926, however, they used the basic design of the Titan to produce a family of new engines, the so-called "K series". These started with the 5K Titan, followed by the 7K Titan Major and 9K Mistral. By 1930, 6,000 of these engines had been delivered.
However, the aircraft industry at that time was rapidly evolving and producing much larger aircraft that demanded larger engines to power them. Gnome-Rhône responded by developing the 7K into a two-row version that became the 14K Mistral Major. The first test examples were running in 1929.
As the Jupiter had set the pattern for one-row radials in the 1920s, the Mistal Major became a canonical design for twin-row radials of the 1930s. It was widely licensed and formed the basis for many successful designs. Among the licensees were Industria Aeronautică Română, Manfred Weiss in Hungary, Alvis of the UK, Tumansky in the USSR, Walter of Czechoslovakia, Isotta-Fraschini and Piaggio in Italy. Nakajima in Japan also licensed it, but did not put it into production, developing their own designs based on features taken from the Mistral and other designs.

Builder:
The Weiss Manfréd Acél- és Fémművek ("Manfréd Weiss Steel and Metal Works"), or colloquially Csepel Művek ("Csepel Works") was one of the largest machine factories in Hungary, located on Csepel island outside Budapest. It played an integral role in the heavy industry and military production of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. Founded by Baron Manfréd Weiss of Csepel, a Jewish industrialist, by the time of World War I the company was one of largest defense contractors in Austria-Hungary, producing all types of equipment, from airplanes and munitions to automotive engines and cars. Badly damaged by Allied air raids and eventually pillaged during World War II, the company continued in existence until 1950, when it was nationalised and renamed to Rákosi Mátyás Vas- és Fémművek ("Mátyás Rákosi Iron and Metal Works NV", where "NV" means Nemzeti Vállalat, "National Company").
Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 AM
proptop

Yes...Ernie (The Master) P. gets another one!

I had at least a couple more clues, but just wanted to see if Ava Gabor / Lisa Douglas would make people go hmmm...?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.