Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:33 PM
castlebravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Upon due reflection, I suppose a big cat could sit on the porch or destroy a city. Thanks; Ernie P.
Could be a cats mortal enemy on that porch.....just sayin....

OK....last clue for now......The warbird I am was developed specifically for and during the Vietnam war.....but it was used well after that.....

CB
Old 08-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a guess: How about the OA-4M version of the Douglas Skyhawk, which was a modified version the trainer version, which in turn came from the original Skyhawk? The side view looks right for Esmeralda's friend and Igor, and there were 23 of them. I think some may still be in service in Argentina, or maybe Brazil. I have no idea of what the front porch clue might mean, though.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:12 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is our buddy Hound Dog I wonder?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 PM
castlebravo

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Just a guess: How about the OA-4M version of the Douglas Skyhawk, which was a modified version the trainer version, which in turn came from the original Skyhawk? The side view looks right for Esmeralda's friend and Igor, and there were 23 of them. I think some may still be in service in Argentina, or maybe Brazil. I have no idea of what the front porch clue might mean, though.
DIng Ding Ding....
Engine also used in GAM-77/AGM 28 Hounddog. Hounddogs were strictly Nuclear with a W-28 warhead.....mostly configured for a 1.45MT yield. All were converted TA-4F's with the P6 engine instead of the P408 that we had in our Super "F"s and the A-4M.....the "Hotdog" is the thing at the top of the fin....it contained Radar warning receivers and the "Hump" contained the KY gear and the ALQ 126.......a huge piece of equipment that never worked.......at least it didn't in any of the A4's I worked on......6312 A-4 Comm/nav....

CB

Last edited by castlebravo; 08-31-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:32 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by castlebravo
DIng Ding Ding....
Engine also used in GAM-77/AGM 28 Hounddog. Hounddogs were strictly Nuclear with a W-28 warhead.....mostly configured for a 1.45MT yield. All were converted TA-4F's with the P6 engine instead of the P408 that we had in our Super "F"s and the A-4M.....the "Hotdog" is the thing at the top of the fin....it contained Radar warning receivers and the "Hump" contained the KY gear and the ALQ 126.......a huge piece of equipment that never worked.......at least it didn't in any of the A4's I worked on......6312 A-4 Comm/nav....

CB
Here's all the applications for the J-52 Turbo jet
Applications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_J52#Applications

Last edited by HoundDog; 08-31-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Top_Gunn

So is Argentina still using some of the OA-4Ms? I did some looking but couldn't really tell.

This one is a little strange. But it was a real warbird, or at least it was supposed to be,

1. Only one built.

2. It is not clear whether it ever flew. Some sources said it didn't; others say it did, but very poorly.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:18 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue.

This one is a little strange. But it was a real warbird, or at least it was supposed to be,

1. Only one built.

2. It is not clear whether it ever flew. Some sources said it didn't; others say it did, but very poorly.

3. Its designer offered to build it for a country which was not his own. The offer was rejected, somewhat impolitely, on the ground that the proposal was a crackpot idea.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Top_Gunn

Noon clues.

1. Only one built.

3. Its designer offered to build it for a country which was not his own. The offer was rejected, somewhat impolitely, on the ground that the proposal was a crackpot idea.

4. So the designer offered it to another country, which accepted.

5. It is mentioned a couple of times, briefly and with some scorn, in a very famous novel.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Top_Gunn

Another clue.

1. Only one built.

5. It is mentioned a couple of times, briefly and with some scorn, in a very famous novel.

6. Another aricraft of the same general sort had been used previously in one military role. This one was intended for a different role.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue, plus a clue that may help in research.

1. Only one built.

6. Another aircraft of the same general sort had been used previously in one military role. This one was intended for a different role.

7. It's designer claimed that it would be invulnerable to enemy fire. While this may seem to support the notion that he was a crackpot, it was not quite so outlandish as it would be today.

8. The designer does not have his own Wikipedia page in English, though he and the aircraft are discussed in Wikipedia. He does have his own Wikipedia page in German.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 09-02-2015 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Add a clue
Old 09-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Top_Gunn

Another clue.

1. Only one built.

6. Another aircraft of the same general sort had been used previously in one military role. This one was intended for a different role.

7. It's designer claimed that it would be invulnerable to enemy fire. While this may seem to support the notion that he was a crackpot, it was not quite so outlandish as it would be today.

8. The designer does not have his own Wikipedia page in English, though he and the aircraft are discussed in Wikipedia. He does have his own Wikipedia page in German.

9. (See question 8). Probably because he was German.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Top_Gunn

And yet another clue.

1. Only one built.

10. He also invented a musical instrument. That invention worked.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Top_Gunn

Tonight's clue.

1. Only one built.

11. The other aircraft mentioned in clue 6 was unarmed and was used for observation.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Top_Gunn

Late morning clue.

1. Only one built.

11. The other aircraft mentioned in clue 6 was unarmed and was used for observation.

12. This one was supposed to be used to attack armies.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Top_Gunn

Early afternoon clue..

1. Only one built.

13. According to one source, it was supposed to have a crew of 50, but could only get off the ground with two.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Top_Gunn

Late afternoon clue. After this one, the clues will start to make it a lot easier, so if you want a gold star for your correct answer, today's the last chance.

1. Only one built.

7. Its designer claimed that it would be invulnerable to enemy fire. While this may seem to support the notion that he was a crackpot, it was not quite so outlandish as it would be today.

9. (See clue 8). Probably because he was German.

13. According to one source, it was supposed to have a crew of 50, but could only get off the ground with two.

14. It was built in a year in which a spectacular comet, though probably not the one you're thinking of, could be seen over Europe.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 09-03-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:09 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue.

1. Only one built.

7. Its designer claimed that it would be invulnerable to enemy fire. While this may seem to support the notion that he was a crackpot, it was not quite so outlandish as it would be today.

14. It was built in a year in which a spectacular comet, though probably not the one you're thinking of, could be seen over Europe.

15. The country referred to in clue 3 was France.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Top_Gunn

Afternoon clue.

1. Only one built.

16. The country referred to in clue 4 was Russia.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:39 AM
castlebravo

Alright....I'm gonna guess this but it probably isn't it......Kalinin K-7

CB
Old 09-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by castlebravo
Alright....I'm gonna guess this but it probably isn't it......Kalinin K-7

CB
Good guess, but this one was far, far less likely to work out than the Kalinin K-7. This afternoon's clue may hint at why.

Late afternoon clue.

1. Only one built.

16. The country referred to in clue 4 was Russia

17. Unlike any man-carrying aircraft before it, this one was supposed to have a propulsion system and directional control. The means by which these goals were to have been achieved would almost certainly have failed, even if the design's other problems had been overcome.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Top_Gunn

Evening clue.

1. Only one built.

17. Unlike any man-carrying aircraft before it, this one was supposed to have a propulsion system and directional control. The means by which these goals were to have been achieved would almost certainly have failed, even if the design's other problems had been overcome.

18. The ruler who rejected its designer's proposal (clue 3) was Napoleon.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, this one can't possibly go more than another few hours. If no one else bites soon, I may step in. I'm trying to be nice, but it is so tempting at times. Top_Gunn; excellent crafting of the question and clues. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:10 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue, which I hope will be the last one!.

1. Only one built.

19. The ruler who agreed to have it built was Alexander I.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Morning clue, which I hope will be the last one!.

1. Only one built.

19. The ruler who agreed to have it built was Alexander I.

Okay.... I can't stands it no more! I was trying to hang back, but... I'm thinking the infamous "Air Bout". Thanks; Ernie P.

In 1811 Franz Leppich went to Napoleon and claimed that he could build a hydrogen balloon that would enable the French to attack from the air. Napoleon then ordered that he be removed from French Territory. In 1812 the secret service from Russia got Leppich Passports with the name Schmidt and then he and a secret undercover person went to Moscow to Count Rostopchin. Near Moscow a "Werft" was set up and with about 50 other German-speaking mechanics, and he started to build "air bouts".

When the balloon was finally tried out, they worked but were unable to move against the wind . Leppich did final work after the burning of Moscow, on this about a year longer near St. Petersburg and then he left for Germany again. There he worked on the subject up to 1817. In 1818 he received a patent in his and his brothers name in Vienna for making nails with a punch.

In Tolstoy's novel, War and Peace, Count Pyótr Kiríllovich Bezúkhov (Pierre) makes an excursion to see this balloon though he does not see it. Tolstoy also includes a letter from the sovereign Emperor Alexander I to Count Rostopchin concerning the balloon.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Top_Gunn

Yes, indeed! Over to you, Ernie.

The most detailed account I've been able to find online is the German-Language Wikipedia article on Franz Leppich. If you don't read German, and you use the Chrome browser, you can get a clumsy and somewhat inaccurate machine translation into English. The balloon's propulsion and steering was supposed to be done with gigantic oars, pulled by the crew (Wikipedia says 50; some other sources say 40). There"s also a drawing: the balloon portion looks like half of a stretched-out pear, with an open wooden structure underneath. It was to have a net over it, attached to a wooden "belt" around the bottom of the balloon, with the structure to hold the crew and weapons hanging below it. The oars surely wouldn't have worked, but the internal combustion engine hadn't been invented yet. One English-language source speculates that Leppich was just in it for the money, but this seems very unlikely, as he worked hard on this for years, in three countries. His ideas were well ahead of their time: this would have been the first airship with a rigid structure, the first one that was not a sphere (I think), and the first one that could be propelled and steered. He originally planned it as a transport, but Emperors were more attracted to a project that could supposedly rain fire on enemy armies. The early part of the construction took place near Moscow, and as the French army (more than half of which was soldiers who were not French) approached and the Russian army, which had taken heavy casualties at Borodino, withdrew, some Muscovites hoped that the balloon would save their city. Tolstoy"s characters don"t take that seriously. The project was moved to a site near St. Petersburg. In 1814, the financing stopped and Leppich gave up and went back to Germany.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.