Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 10-02-2015, 01:24 PM
castlebravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sikorsky VS-44

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_VS-44

CB
Old 10-02-2015, 01:42 PM
David Johnston

Originally Posted by castlebravo
Good job CB - !

You have to admit that Charles Blair and actress Maureen O'Hara were quite an accomplished pair. The Wikipedia page is only the tip of the iceberg regarding the fascinating story of the Sikorsky, plus the combination of Charlie and Maureen (she’s 95!). There is one small bit in the Wikipedia article that seems a bit apocryphal - the hot dog stand part... I have found no evidence (interviews or photos) that the VS-44A was ever used for such purpose. Anyway - fire away with another great airplane quiz!

–DJ

PS: I see that you are almost a next door neighbor (by maybe 180 miles.. ) Sad doings in Roseburg yesterday and today we have the news media circus...
Old 10-02-2015, 01:54 PM
castlebravo

I didnt realize you were down there.....I worked on the lighting system for the Auditorium at UCC and Roseburg HS....been down there MANY times! If you ever venture up north....I'm president of Dusters RC club in Woodburn....stop by and fly with us some day!

Alrighty....New Quiz
Im a Navy aircraft

CB
Old 10-02-2015, 01:57 PM
castlebravo

Im a Navy aircraft
I was very....very ugly

CB
Old 10-02-2015, 02:13 PM
castlebravo

Im a Navy aircraft
I was very....very ugly
I used a material in my construction that every modeler in the world should be familiar with

CB
Old 10-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's where I was headed, CB. Good job! (I think) Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:28 PM
castlebravo

1) Im a Navy aircraft
2) I was very....very ugly
3) I used a material in my construction that every modeler in the world should be familiar with
4) This aircraft was the first or novel in several respects

CB
Old 10-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Ernie P.

1) Im a Navy aircraft
2) I was very....very ugly
3) I used a material in my construction that every modeler in the world should be familiar with
4) This aircraft was the first or novel in several respects
CB

I've been good for a while, so I'll take a long shot with this one. I'm not so sure about the very, very ugly part, but the rest seems to fit. How about the Vought F6U? Balsa wood construction, turbojet power, afterburner, composite skin and stainless steel; this bird had it all and most of it was the first time in use. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Vought F6U Pirate was the Vought company's first jet fighter, designed for US Navy during the mid-1940s. Although pioneering the use of turbojet power as the first naval fighter with an afterburner and composite material construction, the aircraft proved to be underpowered and was judged unsuitable for combat. None were ever issued to operational squadrons and they were relegated to development, training and test roles before they were withdrawn from service in 1950.

A specification was issued by the U.S. Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics (BuAer) for a single-seat, carrier-based fighter powered by a Westinghouse24C (later J34) axial turbojet on 5 September 1944. Chance Vought was awarded a contract for three V-340 (company designation) prototypes on 29 December 1944.

The XF6U was a small aircraft with tricycle landing gear and with straight wings and tail surfaces. The wings were short enough that they did not need to fold. In order to fit more aircraft into crowded hangars, the nose gear could be retracted and the aircraft's weight would rest on a small wheel attached by the ground crew. This raised the tail up so that it could overlap the nose of the aircraft behind it. The jet engine was mounted in the rear of the fuselage and was fed by ducts in each wing root.

The most unusual feature of the aircraft was its use of "Metalite" for its skin. This was made of balsa that was sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminum. "Fabrilite" was also used for the surfaces of the vertical stabilizer and rudder; this was similar to Metalite, but used fiberglass instead of aluminum. Two fuel tanks were fitted in the center of the fuselage. The forward tank, ahead of the wing, contained 220 US gallons (830 l; 180 imp gal) and the rear tank, 150 US gallons (570 l; 120 imp gal). These were supplemented by two jettisonable 140-US-gallon (530 l; 120 imp gal) tip tanks. The cockpit was well forward and was provided with a bubble canopy which gave the pilot good visibility. He was provided with a Mk 6 lead-computing gyro gunsight. Underneath the cockpit were four 20 mm (0.79 in) M3 autocannon. Their 600 rounds of ammunition were carried behind the pilot. The empty casings of the two upper guns were retained in the aircraft, while those from the two lower guns were ejected overboard.

After a company-wide contest to name the aircraft, the initial prototype received the name Pirate, and made its first flight on 2 October 1946. Flight testing revealed severe aerodynamic problems, mostly caused by the airfoil section and thickness of the wing. The vertical stabilizer also had to be redesigned to smooth out the airflow at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Other changes included the addition of dive brakes on the sides of the fuselage and the replacement of the Metalite panels near the engine's exhaust with stainless steel ones.

The first XF6U-1 prototype was powered by a Westinghouse J34-WE-22 turbojet with 3,000 lbf (13.34 kN) thrust, one third of the weight of the aircraft. To help improve the underpowered aircraft's performance, the third prototype, which first flew on 10 November 1947, was lengthened by 8 feet (2.4 m) to use a Westinghouse J34-WE-30 afterburning engine of 4,224 lbf (18.78 kN) thrust, the first United States Navy fighter to have such a powerplant.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:47 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
I've been good for a while, so I'll take a long shot with this one. I'm not so sure about the very, very ugly part, but the rest seems to fit. How about the Vought F6U? Balsa wood construction, turbojet power, afterburner, composite skin and stainless steel; this bird had it all and most of it was the first time in use. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Vought F6U Pirate was the Vought company's first jet fighter, designed for US Navy during the mid-1940s. Although pioneering the use of turbojet power as the first naval fighter with an afterburner and composite material construction, the aircraft proved to be underpowered and was judged unsuitable for combat. None were ever issued to operational squadrons and they were relegated to development, training and test roles before they were withdrawn from service in 1950.

A specification was issued by the U.S. Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics (BuAer) for a single-seat, carrier-based fighter powered by a Westinghouse24C (later J34) axial turbojet on 5 September 1944. Chance Vought was awarded a contract for three V-340 (company designation) prototypes on 29 December 1944.

The XF6U was a small aircraft with tricycle landing gear and with straight wings and tail surfaces. The wings were short enough that they did not need to fold. In order to fit more aircraft into crowded hangars, the nose gear could be retracted and the aircraft's weight would rest on a small wheel attached by the ground crew. This raised the tail up so that it could overlap the nose of the aircraft behind it. The jet engine was mounted in the rear of the fuselage and was fed by ducts in each wing root.

The most unusual feature of the aircraft was its use of "Metalite" for its skin. This was made of balsa that was sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminum. "Fabrilite" was also used for the surfaces of the vertical stabilizer and rudder; this was similar to Metalite, but used fiberglass instead of aluminum. Two fuel tanks were fitted in the center of the fuselage. The forward tank, ahead of the wing, contained 220 US gallons (830 l; 180 imp gal) and the rear tank, 150 US gallons (570 l; 120 imp gal). These were supplemented by two jettisonable 140-US-gallon (530 l; 120 imp gal) tip tanks. The cockpit was well forward and was provided with a bubble canopy which gave the pilot good visibility. He was provided with a Mk 6 lead-computing gyro gunsight. Underneath the cockpit were four 20 mm (0.79 in) M3 autocannon. Their 600 rounds of ammunition were carried behind the pilot. The empty casings of the two upper guns were retained in the aircraft, while those from the two lower guns were ejected overboard.

After a company-wide contest to name the aircraft, the initial prototype received the name Pirate, and made its first flight on 2 October 1946. Flight testing revealed severe aerodynamic problems, mostly caused by the airfoil section and thickness of the wing. The vertical stabilizer also had to be redesigned to smooth out the airflow at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Other changes included the addition of dive brakes on the sides of the fuselage and the replacement of the Metalite panels near the engine's exhaust with stainless steel ones.

The first XF6U-1 prototype was powered by a Westinghouse J34-WE-22 turbojet with 3,000 lbf (13.34 kN) thrust, one third of the weight of the aircraft. To help improve the underpowered aircraft's performance, the third prototype, which first flew on 10 November 1947, was lengthened by 8 feet (2.4 m) to use a Westinghouse J34-WE-30 afterburning engine of 4,224 lbf (18.78 kN) thrust, the first United States Navy fighter to have such a powerplant.
Ernie U poste every thing but the Wick URL and/or a picture. Had to look it up my self.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F6U_Pirate

Old 10-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Ernie U poste every thing but the Wick URL and/or a picture. Had to look it up my self.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F6U_Pirate

Yeah; lesson learned. I should do that. Thanks. But tell me... That plane isn't that ugly, is it? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:06 AM
HoundDog

Yeah; lesson learned. I should do that. Thanks. But tell me... That plane isn't that ugly, is it? Thanks; Ernie P.
Just the Horizontal Stab.

Looks like a cross between a T-33 and a Panther & Grumman Guardian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_AF_Guardian

Well maybe not the panther so much. Except for
Vert Stab it's Black.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 PM
castlebravo

Sorry for the delay...the F6U is correct! Good Job!

CB
Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Ernie P.

CB

Thanks for a good question, CB. I'll post something shortly. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:54 AM
Ernie P.

CB

My apologies for the delay. I wanted to reconsider this question before posting it. I finally decided it may be "on the edge", but isn't actually misleading. And therein lies your first, actual, unofficial clue. Here we go. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:
  1. Yet another example of a civilian aircraft pressed into military service.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 AM
HoundDog

My apologies for the delay. I wanted to reconsider this question before posting it. I finally decided it may be "on the edge", but isn't actually misleading. And therein lies your first, actual, unofficial clue. Here we go. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
Cessna L-4 Grass Hopper
Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Cessna L-4 Grass Hopper
HoundDog; very good guess, though not correct. But here's an afternoon clue, and a bonus clue for your participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  2. First produced in the mid 1960’s.
  3. A derivative aircraft is still in production.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:57 AM
castlebravo

Alright...I'll guess P-8A but I suspect it will be something a little less obvious..

CB
Old 10-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Ernie P.

Alright...I'll guess P-8A but I suspect it will be something a little less obvious..

CB
You are correct, castlebravo; it is something a bit less obvious. But here's another clue to reward the attempt. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  4. The derivative is essentially the same aircraft, upgraded with a more powerful engine, and a few mods to expand the flight envelope.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  4. The derivative is essentially the same aircraft, upgraded with a more powerful engine, and a few mods to expand the flight envelope.
  5. Utilized as military observation aircraft.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:47 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Airbus or Boeing Tanker fit the description.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

how about the Boeing E 3 Sentry
Old 10-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Ernie P.

No correct answers thus far. But here's a bonus question for the participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  6. Primary use was always aerobatics and training.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Cessna Citation
Old 10-06-2015, 12:59 AM
Ernie P.

Still no correct answers. Let's see if this early morning clue elicits a correct answer. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  6. Primary use was always aerobatics and training.
  7. Other uses utilize its STOL capabilities.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

How about the American Champion Citabria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...mpion_Citabria

own one
fly one
love it!

Last edited by Sekhet; 10-06-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.