Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:00 PM
castlebravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curtiss Model "D" ?
Also known as "The Headless Pusher"

CB

Last edited by castlebravo; 01-28-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:44 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the Curtiss Model "D" or the Wright Flyer or the Bristol Boxkite or the Farman III, sorry! Note however that Ernie P. is VERY close!

1. It's an aircraft.
2. In it's early days, it won prizes in competitions.
3. The propellor was mounted on the camshaft.
4. Used by the military in 12 different countries.
5. Introduced for military service in 1913, although early models had flown some years previously.
6. In profile, it looks REALLY familiar, particularly to Americans.
7. This was a very early aircraft that was heavily modified over the years. Early models did not have a rear elevator, but later models did.
8. Twin rudders.
9. The engine was a Renault air-cooled V8.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Not the Curtiss Model "D" or the Wright Flyer or the Bristol Boxkite or the Farman III, sorry! Note however that Ernie P. is VERY close!

1. It's an aircraft.
2. In it's early days, it won prizes in competitions.
3. The propellor was mounted on the camshaft.
4. Used by the military in 12 different countries.
5. Introduced for military service in 1913, although early models had flown some years previously.
6. In profile, it looks REALLY familiar, particularly to Americans.
7. This was a very early aircraft that was heavily modified over the years. Early models did not have a rear elevator, but later models did.
8. Twin rudders.
9. The engine was a Renault air-cooled V8.

Okay; here's a few details of the Longhorn. And, I'll choose door number three; the Maurice Farman MF.7 Longhorn. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Maurice Farman MF.7 Longhorn is a French biplane developed before World War I which was used for reconnaissance by both the French and British air services in the early stages of the war before being relegated to service as a trainer.

The "Longhorn" was a three bay biplane with a forward elevator mounted on upcurved extensions of the landing skids and an empennage carried on four booms consisting of biplane horizontal stabilisers with an elevator attached to the trailing edge of the upper surface and twin rudders. The airframe was constructed using a combination of ash and silver spruce, and many of the members including the outer interplane struts and the outrigger booms carrying the tail surfaces were hollow. It was powered by a Renault air-cooled V8 engine driving a pusher propeller mounted at the back of a fabric-covered nacelle. The propellor was mounted on the engine's camshaft, and therefore revolved at half the engine speed. Its name derived from the distinctive front-mounted elevator and elongated skids.

Maurice Farman's 1910 biplane

MF.7 Longhorn, at Preveza in 1912

The design originated with Maurice Farman's second aircraft, which was built in 1910. This was 12.75 m (41.8 ft) long and had upper and lower wings both spanning 11 m (36 ft). The wings had rounded ends and the outer pair of interplane struts were fabric covered to form voisin-style side curtains. The undercarriage was also of Voisin pattern, with a pair of mainwheels mounted on trailing arms below the skids. Lateral control was effected by ailerons mounted on the lower wings only. Pitch control was effected solely by a front-mounted elevator, the tail surfaces consisting of biplane fixed stabilising surfaces and twin rudders. The gap between the wings was 1.5 m (5 ft).

The side curtains were soon removed, and subsequent aircraft, including that flown by Maurice Tabateau to win the 1910 Coupe Michelin, had square-ended wings and modified tail surfaces, with an elevator added to the upper rear stabiliser.

The 1911 Maurice Farman aircraft flown to win the Michelin Puy de Dτme prize had an increased wingspan, the upper wing spanning 16 m (52 ft 6 in) and the lower 14.5 m (47 ft 7 in). Ailerons were mounted on both upper and lower wings. The undercarriage now had two pairs of wheels attached to the skids using elastic cords.
The Maurice Farman is the subject of a detailed technical description in the issue of Flight dated
6 July 1912. This describes it as a new type, but also notes that in essence the design was at least two years old. The aircraft described differs from earlier aircraft principally in having a 2 m (6 ft 7 in) gap between the wings.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:33 AM
JohnnyS

Ding ding ding!!!

We have a WINNER. The Farman MF.7 is it! Well done, Ernie P.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Ding ding ding!!!

We have a WINNER. The Farman MF.7 is it! Well done, Ernie P.

Thank you, JohnnyS. Great question on your part, BTW. This next question won't go very far, although the subject pilot is relatively unknown in air war annals. There simply isn't that much written about him. I hope you all enjoy the ride. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:
  1. This pilot was NOT an ace, although he was known as one.
  2. He was, however, very obviously an outstanding pilot.
  3. He flew under very challenging conditions.
  4. His combat career spanned only eighteen (18) months.
  5. During that time, he was shot down at least six times.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:09 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  6. On several occasions, he brought his aircraft back to base so badly shot up that it could not be flown again.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:00 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  6. On several occasions, he brought his aircraft back to base so badly shot up that it could not be flown again.
  7. He was most assuredly a maverick, as far as his conduct, demeanor and dress were concerned.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  7. He was most assuredly a maverick, as far as his conduct, demeanor and dress were concerned.
  8. His bravery is unquestioned; and he performed many acts of personal valor, He was, in every sense of the word, a hero.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:27 PM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys I have some sad news for you, Mike Bogan (rc59guy) passed away on January 15, he was 53 years old and a wealth of information and will be missed . I had a lot of fun flying with mike, we loved flying our TF gs war birds together seeing who could out do the other or who could wheel land the mustang the best, I was looking forward to the summer to do it again, Mike was good rc pilot and he could fly any airplane. He had them all, from 1/2a to turbines, he will be missed.

RIP. Mike Bogan
Old 02-01-2016, 05:56 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by karl hibbs
Hi Guys I have some sad news for you, Mike Bogan (rc59guy) passed away on January 15, he was 53 years old and a wealth of information and will be missed . I had a lot of fun flying with mike, we loved flying our TF gs war birds together seeing who could out do the other or who could wheel land the mustang the best, I was looking forward to the summer to do it again, Mike was good rc pilot and he could fly any airplane. He had them all, from 1/2a to turbines, he will be missed.

RIP. Mike Bogan
Karl;

Terrible news. He will be missed here as well. Sometimes, there is nothing to say except "I'm sorry". And we are. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:58 AM
Ernie P.

Default Morning clue

Clues:
  8. His bravery is unquestioned; and he performed many acts of personal valor, He was, in every sense of the word, a hero.
  9. He was awarded almost every medal his country could give him; several of those medals more than once.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karl hibbs

RIP. Mike Bogan
Mike was taken way too young and we will have his family in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  9. He was awarded almost every medal his country could give him; several of those medals more than once.
  10. He was part of a cavalry unit, and he played the part to perfection.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  11. A natural leader, totally confident in his skills and ability, he always lead “from the front”; and he became a living legend.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

John Wayne?
Hey I'm still looking but clearly not a clue. I'm pretty sure that this would be a non American pilot.
Sparky
Old 02-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

This is why I don't like the flyer questions. There is so little out there about specific people that some are literally hunt/peck/get lucky, kind of like the David Campbell question a while back where I found four people that all matched the clues
Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 AM
Ernie P.

Here's a morning clue that should start narrowing things down for you. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  11. A natural leader, totally confident in his skills and ability, he always lead “from the front”; and he became a living legend.
  12. He often dressed in historic attire worn nearly a century before his exploits.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 02-02-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 AM
JohnnyS

Sounds like a cross between Guy Gibson and George Patton.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Ernie P.

No correct answers thus far, although we are dealing with a "larger than life" character, here. Maybe this afternoon clue will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  12. He often dressed in historic attire worn nearly a century before his exploits.
  13. After a friendly aircraft crashed and burned, he landed his aircraft nearby; and rescued the crew of the other aircraft.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. And you can't say this one isn't specific. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  13. After a friendly aircraft crashed and burned, he landed his aircraft nearby; and rescued the crew of the other aircraft.
  14. He once landed his aircraft and captured an enemy soldier… with a sword.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  15. When he saw a large group of friendly soldiers pinned down by enemy fire from a bunker, he landed on top of the bunker. His gunner dropped a grenade into the bunker. He took off again, just before the grenade detonated and destroyed the bunker.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Hydro Junkie

Lt. Col. Ace Cozzalio
https://vvabooks.wordpress.com/2015/...-by-rex-gooch/
Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie

You nailed it, Hydro Junkie; Ace Cozzalio it is. Great job! And, you're up! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  15. When he saw a large group of friendly soldiers pinned down by enemy fire from a bunker, he landed on top of the bunker. His gunner dropped a grenade into the bunker. He took off again, just before the grenade detonated and destroyed the bunker.
  16. His unit wore yellow scarves and white Stetsons.
  17. He sometimes wore a complete 1860’s era Cavalry uniform on special occasions.
  18. He was part of a US Cavalry unit.
  19. He contracted heart trouble caused by a rare virus.
  20. He served in the US Army for 20 years.
  21. He died while undergoing a heart transplant.

Answer: Lt. Col. Ace Cozzalio

Ace is the story of Ace Cozzalio, a bold and courageous U.S. Army helicopter pilot flying with Lighthorse Air Cavalry during the Vietnam War. In his eighteen-month tour of duty, Ace is shot down by enemy gunfire six times and is awarded every medal of valor with the exception of the Medal of Honor, some multiple times. The stories presented in this book tell of Ace’s heroic exploits while fighting the enemy in the Mekong Delta—emphasizing the extraordinary character of this dedicated soldier hero. In reading these incredible, never-before-told stories, the reader gets a glimpse into who Ace Cozzalio is and why his dynamic presence is oftentimes the pivotal element that turns the tide against the enemy. A relentless warrior and a natural-born leader, Ace is always leading the charge, winning the battle, and bringing the troops home safely. Confident and charismatic, he endears himself to his fellow cavalry troopers and the tales of his courageous deeds soon become legendary. And, Ace is a maverick—never satisfied to follow the status quo. Uniquely attired in his signature military uniform with white Cavalry hat, saber, and yellow scarf, reminiscent of the U.S. Cavalry of the 1860s, Ace is singularly recognized as the classic image of the cavalry. Ace is a high-speed, low-level flight through the fascinating life of Ace Cozzalio, focusing on his escapades, adventures, and mishaps in the Vietnam War.

During his eighteen months in Vietnam, Allen “Ace” Cozzalio was shot down six times. On several other occasions he brought his Loach back home so damaged that it was no longer flyable. He received every medal for valor except the Medal of Honor.
As a newly arrived 2nd Lt. in December of 1967, Cozzalio was assigned to D Troop, 3rd Squadron, 5th Cavalry, attached to the 9th Infantry Division as its recon unit. The squadron called itself the “******* Cav” because it was a stand-alone cavalry unit attached to an infantry division.
The image of a rogue, renegade rebel appealed to the D Troopers; it was a perfect match for Ace Cozzalio. Soon after he arrived, the unit began wearing yellow scarves and white Stetsons; some officers carried sabers. Ace Cozzalio donned a full 1860s cavalry uniform at Lighthorse award ceremonies and other special occasions.
Among his legendary exploits, Cozzalio, after seeing a Huey crash and explode in flames, landed his OH-6 Loach nearby and he and his crew chief rescued the unconscious pilot and co-pilot. Cozzalio and his crew chief received the Soldier’s Medal for their actions that day.
On another occasion he landed the Loach on a canal berm where he had spotted an armed male tossing his weapon aside and jumping into the canal. Cozzalio donned his cavalry hat, grabbed his trusty saber, then jumped into the canal. He began poking around in the murky water until his blade found flesh and he took the VC prisoner—likely the only enemy soldier in the war captured with a cavalry saber.
Following the 9th Infantry Division’s Battle of Phu My, Cozzalio was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for performing an incredible act of bravery: Seeing a ninety-man unit pinned down by NVA machine-gun fire from a reinforced bunker, he landed his Loach on top of the bunker while his gunner jumped out and tossed a grenade into it. Cozzalio lifted off just before the grenade exploded and destroyed the bunker.
After twenty years of service, Lt. Col. Cozzalio was discharged from the Army due to heart trouble caused by the rare Epstein-Barr virus. Seven years later, while undergoing a heart transplant procedure, he died at the age of 46.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

I figured it had to be a chopper pilot since a pillbox was too small to land and launch a plane. He was the only person I found that actually did so in combat conditions. Give me a bit to see what I can come up with for a question
Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Got one, another one of my "famous duet" questions.
1) These two aircraft shared a distinction from all other aircraft
Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.