Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 02-19-2016, 12:56 PM
castlebravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clue #10 was slightly wrong...it seats up to 8...not 6

Still cant believe there are no guesses.....I basically gave you the airframe in the last last clue.....

1) Single Engine aircraft....although the type of engine changed
2) "Greenhouse"
3) First flight 1945
4) Was built by a subsidiary of a company that became another company but when everything went to the 4th company...this wasn't included.
5) Wiley Coyote might have gone to "this" company for the engine change
6) But Wiley was no Husky....
7) It had a really big one.....but it folded
8) On later models...the engine folded too!
9) Clue #2 above refers to an operation...not an ITEM
10) Capacity was up to 6, however the right control column could be removed to enable a stretcher to be transported
11) There were 302 of these manufactured. They were given a "generic" name but the conversions were given two different names
12) If you were a nuclear weapons fanatic like I am....clues #2 and #9 are significant....because this particular AC was involved and if you watch the declassified documentary...you will see it
13) The AC had a gross weight of 4016 lbs....It could take off in 125 Ft empty....and land in 75 Ft

Last clue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9zg8nFjiw0

OK....Last...last clue.....go to the 45 min mark in the above video

CB
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

L-13 by Stinson, I cheated and used my brain trust.
Sparky
Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 AM
castlebravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Job Elmshoot! Stinson L-13

1) Single Engine aircraft....although the type of engine changed First models came with a Franklin...Many were retrofitted with PW or Jacobs radials
2) "Greenhouse"Operation Greenhouse they were used extensively for support hopping between the islands
3) First flight 1945
4) Was built by a subsidiary of a company that became another company but when everything went to the 4th company...this wasn't included.Stinson was a subsidiary of Consolidated/Vultee....which became Convair....which sold all the Stinson rights to Piper except the L-13...which Consolidated built 302
5) Wiley Coyote might have gone to "this" company for the engine change ACME Aircraft co. was one of the conversion companies
6) But Wiley was no Husky....
7) It had a really big one.....but it folded The wing folded and the aircraft could be towed like a glider
8) On later models...the engine folded too!The whole engine mount folded out of the way to make maintenance easier
9) Clue #2 above refers to an operation...not an ITEM
10) Capacity was up to 6, however the right control column could be removed to enable a stretcher to be transported
11) There were 302 of these manufactured. They were given a "generic" name but the conversions were given two different names
12) If you were a nuclear weapons fanatic like I am....clues #2 and #9 are significant....because this particular AC was involved and if you watch the declassified documentary...you will see it

CB
Old 02-21-2016, 05:47 AM
elmshoot

Maybe we could some place have a list of planes we have already covered. I certainly wasn't on board for all 500+ pages. But here goes....
1. A prototype designed to do the replace a more familiar aircraft by doing it cheaper, faster, further.
but weren't most planes designed with two out of of the three in mind��
Old 02-22-2016, 08:01 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T 38 or F5
Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 PM
elmshoot

Not either of those.

1. A prototype designed to replace a more familiar aircraft by doing it cheaper, faster, further.
2. This plane had half the number of engines that the plane it was to replace had.
3.The plane did in fact meet some of its design goals setting some cross country speed records.
4. The record setting pilot died in another unconventional prototype airplane crash.
5. Crew communications was an issue on the first flight resulting in a redesign of the cockpit before the second flight.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:58 PM
proptop

Whew...I feel like my head's in a Blender...

elmshoot...you sure are a master of mixing those clues around!
Old 02-23-2016, 10:44 PM
elmshoot

1. A prototype designed to replace a more familiar aircraft by doing it cheaper, faster, further.
2. This plane had half the number of engines that the plane it was to replace had.
3.The plane did in fact meet some of its design goals setting some cross country speed records.
4. The record setting pilot died in another unconventional prototype airplane crash.
5. Crew communications was an issue on the first flight resulting in a redesign of the cockpit before the second flight.
Prop top funny you should mention Blender
6. Well some would describe the power system as a blender
7. Trike gear
8. The MFG was mostly known for producing "nonfighter" aircraft.
9. The plane was eventually powered by the same number of engines as the plane it was designed to replace.
10. By adding the extra engines it could be considered a Hybrid powered plane before that was a fashionable statement.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:01 AM
proptop

The reason I posted that wise-guy post was because I'm pretty sure it's the Douglas XB-42 "Mixmaster"...but don't have another quiz subject, as of yet...but...

A friend and I were talking about the XB-42 a couple weeks ago...
The prototype had two bubble canopies, and the pilot / co-pilot had to duck down to communicate because there was no interphone, and there were times during flight when neither one was looking out...both heads were down, so to speak..

Prototype had 2 Allisons, V-1710's...geared to contra-rotating pusher props...then 2 jet pods were added, one ea. wing for a boost in power......IIRC they were J-34's?

Then a pure jet version...

Last edited by proptop; 02-24-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by proptop
The reason I posted that wise-guy post was because I'm pretty sure it's the Douglas XB-42 "Mixmaster"...but don't have another quiz subject, as of yet...but...

A friend and I were talking about the XB-42 a couple weeks ago...
The prototype had two bubble canopies, and the pilot / co-pilot had to duck down to communicate because there was no interphone, and there were times during flight when neither one was looking out...both heads were down, so to speak..

Prototype had 2 Allisons, V-1710's...geared to contra-rotating pusher props...then 2 jet pods were added, one ea. wing for a boost in power......IIRC they were J-34's?

Then a pure jet version...
Proptop; I have a list of question subjects at hand. I'd be happy to give you one. You would have to do the research and frame the question, though. Otherwise, it would be my question, and sound like me. But subjects I do have; and I'd be happy to share. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:12 AM
proptop

Was just thinking...and waiting for elmshoot to reply...I have a quiz subject in mind though:

Having some medical (and medication) issues over here, so I'm gonna try to make my clues fairly clear / not too obsure...but I ain't counting on that!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 AM
proptop

O.K....looking for an aircraft...just the basics...I don't recall if we have discussed this particular aircraft or not?

1) Mid to late 1930's design

2) Has many contemporaries

3) Nothing unusual...quite conventional in configuration and construction

4) Single engine...single seat

5) Closely resembles a very famous WWII fighter of the same time frame,
but this particular aircraft did not share in the limelight...

Last edited by proptop; 02-25-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:56 AM
proptop

Originally Posted by proptop
O.K....looking for an aircraft...just the basics...I don't recall if we have discussed this particular aircraft or not?

6) Think of a character in Greek mythology...HTH

Gotta go to some appointments...won't be back until late evening...
Old 02-25-2016, 04:31 PM
proptop

6) Think of a character in Greek mythology...

7) A father and son with wings made of feathers and wax...will give you a clue as to the designers of the aircraft.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 PM
proptop

7) A father and son with wings made of feathers and wax...will give you a clue as to the designers of the aircraft.

8) French, Spanish, Swiss and Yugoslavians (at least) were involved in the design and production
Old 02-26-2016, 08:13 AM
proptop

8) French, Spanish, Swiss and Yugoslavians (at least) were involved in the design and production

Not even one Wild-Hare guess yet ?!?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:23 AM
proptop

9) There was an initial production order of a dozen aircraft...however, there was a set-back when a prototype crashed.

10) In the early days of "The big one" as Archie Bunker might say, there were only half a dozen of this fighter that had been produced, but they and their pilots performed quite admirably.

11) 11 victories in 11 days
Old 02-26-2016, 04:45 PM
proptop

Testing...1...2...3...

Hello....is this thing on?

Anybody home???

Is everyone out flyin' or sumpthin'?

elmshoot...maybe we are all waiting on your conformation...or denial....if I guessed your quiz subject correctly???
Are you out there somewhere elmshoot?

Last edited by proptop; 02-26-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:51 PM
proptop

9) There was an initial production order of a dozen aircraft...however, there was a set-back when a prototype crashed.

10) In the early days of "The big one" as Archie Bunker might say, there were only half a dozen of this fighter that had been produced, but they and their pilots performed quite admirably.

11) 11 victories in 11 days

12) Clues 6 and 7 are related...the Son flew too close to the Sun...wax melted...etc...you know the story...(don't ya?)
What is the name of the Son that fell into the water?
Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I'll play: Ikarus IK-2, details below. If I'd spelled "Ikarus" that way, I'd have found it yesterday. Interesting that people would name an airplane after a guy whose wings fell off. Interesting plane!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikarus_IK-2
Old 02-26-2016, 07:57 PM
proptop

Hi Al...
Actually I was alking about the IK-3 but as far as I'm concerned, you're close enough!
It's called IK for the initials of the two main designers...and produced by Rogozarski as the IK-3, the successor to the IK-2

The IK-3 looks very much, IMO anyway, like a Hawker Hurricane...the aircraft I was talking about in clue 5.

The spelling of Icarus vs. Ikarus was something I thought might cause some wonder...

The Yougoslav designers spent some time in France, and learned a few things from them...and did some wind tunnel testing in Paris.

The Spain and Swiss clue is in reference to the Hispano-Suiza engine...later versions built by Avia.

Thanks

You are up Top_Gunn

http://ww2fighters.e-monsite.com/pag...rski-ik-3.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogo%C5%BEarski_IK-3

Last edited by proptop; 02-26-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I should have kept looking a little longer. Here's a pretty easy one, I think. Like others, I am way beyond remembering what planes we've done, but I don't think this one has appeared yet.

Looking foe a well-known airplane. I think it's possible (and it would be impressive, if you can pull it off) that someone could get it from the first three clues.

1. Single engine, single seat (except for a trainer version).

2. Set some records and had one significant "first."

3. The Icarus story is relevant here, as well.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

What is interesting is that the IK-3 was outperformed by just about every other country's fighters makes it interesting that it did so well against the 109. The Hurricane, Spit, 109 and even the P-40 were all faster in level flight and, at higher speeds, the P-40 could out turn a Hurricane so it has me wondering what made the difference. I suspect that the faster planes lost a considerable amount of speed in the turns and, due to that, the planes were more equal in dogfight environment
Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 AM
proptop

Yeah Al...I wonder how many prototypes, pre-production prototypes, etc. had their wings come off...?
A friend flew B-47's and I remember him telling me about the "Milk Bottle Bolt" and the wing attachment mounts...the LABS manuver...

H-J...good point...I think the Yougoslavian pilots had some extra incentive too, when their country suddenly had a bunch of uninvited guests barging in...
Old 02-28-2016, 10:47 AM
elmshoot

Wings come off?
During WWll there were many industries pressed into service to help in the war effort. One was a company that was known for their fine wood working and were tasked with building wood gliders for the troops for the airborne assault like that used in D-Day invasion. Anyway as part of the warbond effort they were demonstrating the glider at an airshow in St. Louis. On board was a general and several local dignitaries (the mayor of ST. Louis?) from the local area. They did the tow off the field and flew to altitude then cut loose the glider was to do a few turns on the way down and land at the field in front of everyone in attendance. At some point in the glide phase they maneuvering exceeded the available strength and one wing came off and all on board were killed in the crash.
The company that did all the wood work was you guessed it.....a coffin manufacture.
I guess they really were the last to let you down.
Sparky

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.