Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 03-05-2016, 06:56 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Looking for an aircraft

2) Could be considered "multi-purpose"

3) One engine...one wing...two seats

4) Same basic design...and was built by two different manufacturers...and had two alpha-numerical designations
(let me modify this statement...same alpha but different numerical)

5) This aircraft changed the way the parent company was viewed, by the powers that be, because it had previously been a rather small, might say obscure manuf.

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

8) One version / designation was operated by 4 countries...
The other variant was operated by 7 because it was a bit more versatile

9) This clue is inspired by the post (elmshoot) above:
The inside of the cowl panels might be painted in young Bamboo / light Olive color, or a transparent blue / green

10) One version could have the pilot facing forward, and the rear crew member facing to the rear.
Another version could have the rear crew member also facing forward.

11) One might not have any armament at all...and another variant might have 2 machine guns and carry a few small bombs as well.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:44 AM
proptop

Hmmm...I thought the color(s) of the inside of the cowl panels would spur something on here...
Perhaps I'm being too "General" or obscure?

4) Same basic design...and was built by two different manufacturers...and had two alpha-numerical designations

5) This aircraft changed the way the parent company was viewed, by the powers that be, because it had previously been a rather small, might say obscure manuf.

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

The inside of the cowl panels might be painted in young Bamboo / light Olive color, or a transparent blue / green

10) One version could have the pilot facing forward, and the rear crew member facing to the rear.

11) One might not have any armament at all...and another variant might have 2 machine guns and carry a few small bombs as well.

12) It was well liked for it's excellent handling characteristics...and was used for an advanced trainer,
as well as a "light" bomber, and general observation, utility duties, etc.

13) The secondary (non-parent) company that produced it is still in business today, and probably best known for it's motorcycles...at least in the U.S.

14) The engine manuf. is still in business, and in my mind anyway, best well known for electronics...but they also make heavy machinery.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:04 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Most likely a Jap plane.
Mitsubishi, Kawasaki are mfg who were in business in WWll i'm sure there are others.
Sparky
Old 03-07-2016, 01:32 AM
proptop

You have the country of origin correct there, elmshoot...

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

12) It was well liked for it's excellent handling characteristics...and was used for an advanced trainer,

13) The secondary (non-parent) company that produced it is still in business today, and probably best known for it's motorcycles...at least in the U.S.

14) The engine manuf. is still in business, and in my mind anyway, best well known for electronics...but they also make heavy machinery.

15) Kawasaki was the secondary manuf. that built roughly 1/3 of overall airframe production.

16) The engine manuf. is one of the "others" ... not Mitsu.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by proptop
You have the country of origin correct there, elmshoot...

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

15) Kawasaki was the secondary manuf. that built roughly 1/3 of overall airframe production.

Since no one seems to want to solve this one, I'll take a shot. How about the Mitsubishi Ki-30 and the Kawasaki Ki-32? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Mitsubishi Ki-30 (九七式軽爆撃機, Kyunana-shiki keibakugekiki[SUP]?[/SUP]) was a Japanese light bomber of World War II. It was a single-engine, mid-wing, cantilever monoplane of stressed-skin construction with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage and a long transparent cockpit canopy. The type had significance in being the first Japanese aircraft to be powered by a modern two-row radial engine. During the war, it was known by the Allies by the name Ann.

The Kawasaki Ki-32 (九八式軽爆撃機, Kyuhachi-shiki keibakugekiki[SUP]?[/SUP]) was a Japanese light bomber aircraft of World War II. It was a single-engine, two-seat, mid-wing, cantilever monoplane with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage. An internal bomb bay accommodated a 300 kg (660 lb) offensive load, supplemented by 150 kg (330 lb) of bombs on external racks. During the war, it was known by the Allies by the name Mary.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:27 AM
proptop

Hi Ernie...not quite...
Have a look here...
(One of these days maybe I will learn how to do that...what's it called...titled link?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachikawa_Aircraft_Company

) Looking for an aircraft

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

17)
Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 AM
proptop

Wow...ha! Looks like the whole post above became a titled link... weird...
Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM
proptop

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

17) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachik...rcraft_Company

18) Hitachi is / was, the engine manuf.

19) There was an actress...that became a ground-breaking Director...

Last edited by proptop; 03-07-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Ernie P.

Hi Ernie...not quite...
Have a look here...
(One of these days maybe I will learn how to do that...what's it called...titled link?)

) Looking for an aircraft

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

17)
What? You want me to guess the Tachikawa Ki-55, built by both Tachikawa and Kawasaki? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Tachikawa Ki-55 was a Japanese advanced trainer.

The excellent characteristics of the Tachikawa Ki-36 made it potentially ideal as a trainer. This led to the development of the Ki-36 with a single machine gun. After successful testing of a prototype in September 1939, the type was put into production as the Army Type 99 Advanced Trainer.

In all 1,389 Ki-55 were constructed before production ended in December 1943 with Tachikawa having built 1078 and Kawasaki 311.

Both the Ki-55 and the Ki-36 were given the Allied nickname 'Ida.'
Old 03-07-2016, 11:41 AM
proptop

Yep Ernie...the Ki-36 and Ki-55 both code named "Ida" by the Allies...
I guess you didn't need the Ida Lupino clue 19...

An aircraft that I'd never really given much thought to...but it seems to be kind of a neat little airplane...
Not much info on it either, and I was kinda runnin outa clues too...

The floor is yours sir...
Old 03-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm glad someone figured it out since I didn't have a clue as to what it was
Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM
proptop

When I saw that Ernie had posted (before I had read it) I thought, if he says "we did that one a few months ago" I'll crap myself...lol...
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Ernie P.

Yep Ernie...the Ki-36 and Ki-55 both code named "Ida" by the Allies...
I guess you didn't need the Ida Lupino clue 19...

An aircraft that I'd never really given much thought to...but it seems to be kind of a neat little airplane...
Not much info on it either, and I was kinda runnin outa clues too...

The floor is yours sir...
Thanks, proptop; good question on your part. Okay, this one should go pretty quickly; it's a well known story. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:
  1. This pilot is noted, not for his score, but for his brilliance.
  2. In fact, I have found no record of his ever having scored a victory.
  3. He produced an innovation which had a more profound impact upon the combat arms than might at first be realized.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Ernie P.

When I saw that Ernie had posted (before I had read it) I thought, if he says "we did that one a few months ago" I'll crap myself...lol...

I'm such an ogre. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  3. He produced an innovation which had a more profound impact upon the combat arms than might at first be realized.
  4. His innovation was in daily service for more than forty years in its original form; and is still in use today in adapted forms.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  4. His innovation was in daily service for more than forty years in its original form; and is still in use today in adapted forms.
  5. He always received full credit for his innovation, but never received, not do he ever request, any financial reward.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:02 AM
pd1

Lt Weems?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pd1
Lt Weems?
And/or Dalton?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:01 AM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Dzus, the 1/4 turn quick locks on everything made that flies.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Ernie P.

Some very good guesses, but nothing close, yet. Maybe this afternoon clue will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  5. He always received full credit for his innovation, but never received, not do he ever request, any financial reward.
  6. He was a cowboy of sorts.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Dzus, the 1/4 turn quick locks on everything made that flies.
Don't forget the venerable Cam-Lok. Must have replaced a couple Million in the USAF
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Don't forget the venerable Cam-Lok. Must have replaced a couple Million in the USAF

HoundDog; good guess, but was it invented by a pilot? This innovation was. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  7. He qualified as a pilot after a remarkably short period of instruction.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  8. He initially flew sea patrols.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  9. He flew night missions for a while.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  9. He flew night missions for a while.
  10. His own writings indicate he cared for neither.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.