Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:14 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Late night bonus clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:
  1. Although it wasn’t the first of its type within its service, it was the first of its style.
  2. It replaced an iconic warbird.
  3. And it was, in turn, replaced by an iconic warbird.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Hydro Junkie; more than anything else, I was pointing out that clues 5, 6, 8 and 9 were sufficient to solve the puzzle for me. I'll admit I was a bit lost at first. Okay; I'll put something up quickly. Thanks; Ernie P.
Believe me, I'm not complaining. Truth be told, I was scrambling to come up with another clue that wouldn't be too obvious. Citing clue 6 as helping narrow down the person did surprise me a bit. Britain also has a DFC so I thought it might lead to wrong guesses.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:48 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  1. Although it wasn’t the first of its type within its service, it was the first of its style.
  4. Perhaps as a result of (2) and (3), it is relatively unknown.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  5. It was noted as being little superior to the aircraft it replaced, although opinions seem to differ on that point.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  5. It was noted as being little superior to the aircraft it replaced, although opinions seem to differ on that point.
  6. It was noted as being much inferior to the aircraft which replaced it, although opinions seem to differ on that point.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:02 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  6. It was noted as being much inferior to the aircraft which replaced it, although opinions seem to differ on that point.
  7. And yet, it was also noted as being quite maneuverable in the hands of a skilled pilot; and it could be dived safely at a high rate of speed.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon and evening clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  7. And yet, it was also noted as being quite maneuverable in the hands of a skilled pilot; and it could be dived safely at a high rate of speed.
  8. It was flown by several well-known aces; several of whom are themselves icons.
  9. It was introduced in wartime, during a period of enemy air superiority.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:38 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  8. It was flown by several well-known aces; several of whom are themselves icons.
  10. Its service life was, even for its time, pretty short; although some serious problems with its replacement led to some of them being famously brought back into service while the replacement was being debugged.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 AM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Albatros D.1?
Old 04-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Albatros D.1?

Not the Albatros D.1, JohnnyS: but you're certainly in the right neighborhood. Close enough to earn a couple of bonus clues, in fact. Nothing wrong with the thought process, so keep working at it. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  10. Its service life was, even for its time, pretty short; although some serious problems with its replacement led to some of them being famously brought back into service while the replacement was being debugged.
  11. This aircraft supposedly had an “Achilles’ heel”; a significant weakness in its design.
  12. This aircraft did achieve at least one, and possibly two, aviation “firsts”.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:11 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Triplane
Old 04-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by uncljoe
Triplane

Well, uncljoe; I'm really tempted to ask "Which triplane?", but I'll be nice and simply say this wasn't a tripe. And, I'll reward you with a new clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  11. This aircraft supposedly had an “Achilles’ heel”; a significant weakness in its design.
  12. This aircraft did achieve at least one, and possibly two, aviation “firsts”.
  13. The elevator and rudder were fully moveable (“flying” style), with no “fixed” surfaces.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:56 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  13. The elevator and rudder were fully moveable (“flying” style), with no “fixed” surfaces.
  14. The wings were “drooped” at the rear, inboard of the ailerons.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  15. Armament was a single machine gun.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:23 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  17. Wing mounted radiator.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Ernie P.

A bit early, but here's an afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  18. The wings were noteworthy as being very strong.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Ernie P.

And an (early) evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  19. Its Achilles’ heel was also noteworthy, and well known to enemy aviators. The weakness was at the heel, or extreme tail, of the fuselage.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  19. Its Achilles’ heel was also noteworthy, and well known to enemy aviators. The weakness was at the heel, or extreme tail, of the fuselage.
  20. One famous pilot painted his aircraft a bright blue.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  21. There were, unlike all of their kindred, no military issued serial numbers displayed on their fuselages.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  21. There were, unlike all of their kindred, no military issued serial numbers displayed on their fuselages.
  22. These aircraft were used in early experiments with aircraft mounted rockets. In one experimental firing, an enemy pilot was frightened enough he landed immediately and surrendered. In the next trial, a rocket struck an enemy aircraft, forcing it to land and be captured.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:29 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  22. These aircraft were used in early experiments with aircraft mounted rockets. In one experimental firing, an enemy pilot was frightened enough he landed immediately and surrendered. In the next trial, a rocket struck an enemy aircraft, forcing it to land and be captured.
  23. The next attempt to utilize the rockets failed, due to problems with the ignition system. Further experiments were abandoned, for reasons unknown.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  23. The next attempt to utilize the rockets failed, due to problems with the ignition system. Further experiments were abandoned, for reasons unknown.
  24. Two “license built” versions of the aircraft were produced, as well.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  25. Early experiments, the first known, with radio transmitters and receivers were carried out with this aircraft, and later versions of this aircraft.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Ernie P.

A bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. It was a biplane.
  25. Early experiments, the first known, with radio transmitters and receivers were carried out with this aircraft, and later versions of this aircraft.
  26. And a very famous airman, or at least the group he lead, was involved in these experiments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.