Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, Adrian (or adavis); you are up. Please post your question ASAP. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Hey, Adrian (or adavis); you are up. Please post your question ASAP. Thanks; Ernie P.

Adrian; unless you post your question in the next 24 hours, we will have to move on. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:00 AM
Ernie P.

Adrian; unless you post your question in the next 24 hours, we will have to move on. Thanks; Ernie P.

All;

Apparently, we have lost Adrian. Well, if any one has a question ready, please take the lead and ask your question. First come, first served. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Ernie P.

All;

Apparently, we have lost Adrian. Well, if any one has a question ready, please take the lead and ask your question. First come, first served. Thanks; Ernie P.

Please don't push, there's room for one volunteer only. If no one posts a question by tomorrow morning, you'll be forced to sit through another of mine. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:14 AM
Ernie P.

Alrightey then. I have a hunch this one will be nailed very quickly, perhaps on the first two clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:
  1. Many wild and unbelievable stories about the skill and prowess of various pilots are told. But this one is apparently documented pretty well.
  2. It involved a feat of marksmanship; one likely never to be repeated.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Ernie P.

Hmmm..... Maybe not as easy as I had thought. Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  1. Many wild and unbelievable stories about the skill and prowess of various pilots are told. But this one is apparently documented pretty well.
  3. It occurred in WWII.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Ernie P.

Hmmm... and hmmm... Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  3. It occurred in WWII.
  4. It involved a copilot.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:38 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  3. It occurred in WWII.
  5. A copilot whose plane was shot down.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Is this the guy who purportedly shot down a Jap fighter while he was in a parachute with his .45?

Or was this another in the time space continuum.

Sparky
Old 04-21-2016, 06:41 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Is this the guy who purportedly shot down a Jap fighter while he was in a parachute with his .45?

Or was this another in the time space continuum.

Sparky
You got it, Sparky; Second Lieutenant Owen J. Baggett it is, and you are up. I figured you guys must have heard the story, but it's a story worth knowing. Take it away! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  3. It occurred in WWII.
  5. A copilot whose plane was shot down.
  6. Fans of the movie “Flyboys” will have an edge in answering this question.

Answer: Second Lieutenant Owen J. Baggett.

David and Goliath-2d Lt. Owen J. Baggett
By John L. Frisbee
Many extraordinary encounters took place in the skies of World War II but none more bizarre than this.
The Tenth Air Force in India was, 5 throughout most of its life, the smallest of the AAF’s combat air forces but with a large geographical area of responsibility and an important mission. It was responsible for helping to defend the supply line from India to China and for interdicting the Japanese supply net running from Rangoon, Burma, to the north of that country. Its heavy bomber force – consisting of a few B-24s – was the 7th Bomb Group, based at Pandaveswar, northwest of Calcutta, whence it flew very long missions to targets mostly in Burma. On March 31, 1943, the 7th BG’s 9th Bomb Squadron was dispatched to destroy a railroad bridge at Pyinmana, about halfway between Rangoon and Mandalay and near two active enemy fighter bases. The formation was led by Col. Conrad F. Necrason, 7th BG commander, The B-24 on his right wing was piloted by 1st Lt. Lloyd Jensen whose copilot was 2d Lt. Owen J. Baggett. On that mission, Baggett was to earn a distinction believed to be unique in Air Force history. Before reaching the target, the B- 24s were attacked by fighters. Colonel Necrason was severely wounded, and Jensen’s aircraft was fatally damaged. Oxygen bottles were shattered, intensifying a fire in the rear of Jensen’s bomber. Nineteen-year-old Sgt. Samuel Crostic slid out of his top turret, grabbed two fire extinguishers, and fought the fire in the rear of the aircraft while standing on a catwalk over the open bomb bay. The plane still was under attack by enemy fighters, taking many hits along its fuselage. To help defend the aircraft, copilot Baggett took over the top turret until Sergeant Crostic had emptied his fire extinguishers, giving the crew time to prepare for bailout. Smoke and fumes filled the B-24. Jensen ordered the crew to bail out.
With the intercom inoperative, Baggett hand-signaled the gunners to hit the silk and, nearly overcome by fumes, put on his own chute. He next remembers floating down with a good chute. He saw four more open canopies before the bomber exploded. The Japanese pilots immediately began strafing the surviving crewmen, apparently killing some of them and grazing Lieutenant Baggett’s arm. The pilot who had hit Baggett circled to finish him off or perhaps only to get a better look at his victim. Baggett pretended to be dead, hoping the Zero pilot would not fire again. In any event, the pilot opened his canopy and approached within feet of Baggett’s chute, nose up and on the verge of a stall. Baggett, enraged by the strafing of his helpless crew mates, raised the .45 automatic concealed against his leg and fired four shots at the open cockpit. The Zero stalled and spun in.
After Baggett hit the ground, enemy pilots continued to strafe him, but he escaped by hiding behind a tree. Lieutenant Jensen and one of the gunners landed near him. All three were captured by the Burmese and turned over to the Japanese. Sergeant Crostic also survived the bail-out. Baggett and Jensen were flown out of Burma in an enemy bomber and imprisoned near Singapore. In the more than two years he was held prisoner, Owen Baggett’s weight dropped from 180 pounds to ninety. He had ample time to think about his midair dual. He did not at first believe it possible that he could have shot down the enemy while swinging in his chute, but gradually pieces of the puzzle came together. Shortly after he was imprisoned, Baggett, Jensen, and another officer were taken before a Japanese major general who was in charge of all POWs in the area and who subsequently was executed as a war criminal. Baggett appeared to be treated like a celebrity. He was offered the opportunity of and given instructions on how to do the “honorable thing” – commit hara-kiri, a proposal he declined.
A few months later, Col. Harry Melton, commander of the 311th Fighter Group who had been shot down, passed through the POW camp and told Baggett that a Japanese colonel said the pilot Owen Baggett had fired at had been thrown clear of his plane when it crashed and burned. He was found dead of a single bullet in his head. Colonel Melton intended to make an official report of the incident but lost his life when the ship on which he was being taken to Japan was sunk. Two other pieces of evidence support Baggett’s account: First, no friendly fighters were in the area that could have downed the Zero pilot. Second, the incident took place at an altitude of 4,000 to 5,000 feet. The pilot could have recovered from an unintentional stall and spin. Retired Colonel Baggett, now living in San Antonio, Tex., believes he shot down the Japanese pilot, but because that judgment is based on largely indirect and circumstantial evidence, he remains reluctant to talk much about it. We think the jury no longer is out. There appears to be no reasonable doubt that Owen Baggett performed a unique act of valor, unlikely to be repeated in the unfolding annals of air warfare.
Thanks to Colonel Baggett and to Charles V. Duncan, Jr., author of B-24 Over Burma.
AIR FORCE Magazine / July 1996
Old 04-21-2016, 06:21 PM
elmshoot

Bagget has passed away. I read several accounts of this incident and there was no reports found in the war records of the Jap squadron loosing a plane in that area on the date time in question. By the way it wasn't a Zero but an Oscar if i recall from the other stories I read about the incident. I would have to say that I am not likely to believe the story a lot of things are just too iffy.
I only read about this story in the last few months so I contacted several friends who are aviation historians with several books on specific airplane types to their credit and they had heard about the story and were equally skeptic about the plausibility of this story.
Sparky
Old 04-22-2016, 12:09 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Bagget has passed away. I read several accounts of this incident and there was no reports found in the war records of the Jap squadron loosing a plane in that area on the date time in question. By the way it wasn't a Zero but an Oscar if i recall from the other stories I read about the incident. I would have to say that I am not likely to believe the story a lot of things are just too iffy.
I only read about this story in the last few months so I contacted several friends who are aviation historians with several books on specific airplane types to their credit and they had heard about the story and were equally skeptic about the plausibility of this story.
Sparky
It is difficult to argue you are wrong, Sir. I was also skeptical initially, Sparky; but there have been several individuals and organizations that seem to be satisfied it happened, I wasn't there, so I'm forced to rely on other recollections and investigations. I didn't figure this question would go very long, since there has been so much public discussion in the recent past; but thought it was worth the effort. In the interim, you are up and we await your question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:03 AM
elmshoot

I got notthin right now. Do any of the lurkers or newbies what a shot at, "Stump the chump?"
Sparky
Old 04-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Ernie P.

All;

Sparky is offering the floor to newbies and lurkers first, so the floor is open. If you have a question, fire away. First to post has the floor. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:06 PM
tunakuts3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. I've got one but its not really a warbird but a plane designed by a famous warbird designer.
1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
Old 04-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by tunakuts3d
O.K. I've got one but its not really a warbird but a plane designed by a famous warbird designer.
1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan

Did some of these aircraft, by chance, have two engines and some four engines? And some two of these engines, and two of those engines? And some two of these other engines and two of those other engines? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:01 AM
tunakuts3d

Time for a morning clue
1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
3 not planes, as only one was built
4 all engines of the same type or manufacturer
Old 04-23-2016, 11:07 AM
tunakuts3d

O.K. here's a late afternoon clue

1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
5 open air cockpit
Old 04-23-2016, 04:44 PM
tunakuts3d

perhaps another clue will elicit some guess's .

1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
5 open air cockpit
6 more than one wing
7 powered by Liberty V12 engines
Old 04-23-2016, 06:54 PM
elmshoot

Curtis NC-4
Old 04-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Ernie P.

perhaps another clue will elicit some guess's .

1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
5 open air cockpit
6 more than one wing
Oh... that.... thing. Well... maybe... depends.... 98' 6" or 98' 5"? Or do you think an inch more or less doesn't matter? (-: Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:17 AM
tunakuts3d

Sorry, not the NC-4 . I think Ernie may have it figured out, and no 1" more or less wouldn't matter. Morning clue should be a give away.

1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
5 open air cockpit
6 more than one wing
8 Flying boat
Old 04-24-2016, 12:53 PM
tunakuts3d

AWWW, C' mon guy's. NO wild a** guess's? Another clue.

1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
5 open air cockpit
6 more than one wing
8 Flying boat
9 was featured in a movie
Old 04-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Ernie P.

AWWW, C' mon guy's. NO wild a** guess's? Another clue.

1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
5 open air cockpit
6 more than one wing
8 Flying boat
Hey, tunakuts3d; I took a shot. I was wrong; but not so very far away, as it turned out. Sometimes, it's kind of like being a radio announcer. You're never sure if there might be no one listening; or if they're all asleep out there; or if maybe they just have better things to do than play with you. Ah well; maybe some one will wake up. In the interim, you're doing just fine. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:53 PM
tunakuts3d

Hi Ernie, Thanks for the encouragement . I guess it may be time for another clue.

1 Multi-engines
2 98'6'' wingspan
5 open air cockpit
6 more than one wing
8 Flying boat
10 used wings "cannibalized " from bombers after the war ended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.