Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 AM
adavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which warbird is this?

1) Designed and built for a particular role. This, of course, doesn't narrow the field much, as most planes are built with a purpose in mind. What makes this one unusual is that most of the planes used in its role were originally meant to be used for something else, and were later used for this purpose. This one was intended for its ultimate use from the start.

=Adrian=

Old 06-26-2016, 01:22 PM
adavis

Which warbird is this?

1) Designed and built for a particular role. This, of course, doesn't narrow the field much, as most planes are built with a purpose in mind. What makes this one unusual is that most of the planes used in its role were originally meant to be used for something else, and were later used for this purpose. This one was intended for its ultimate use from the start.

2) Twin engine. crew of two.

=Adrian=
Old 06-26-2016, 11:23 PM
adavis

Which warbird is this?

2) Twin engine, crew of two.

3) The second crew member was not a pilot, a gunner, a navigator, a radio operator, a radar operator, an observer, a flight engineer, or a bombardier.

4) Less than 25 built.

=Adrian=

Old 06-27-2016, 06:59 AM
adavis

Which warbird is this?

3) The second crew member was not a pilot, a gunner, a navigator, a radio operator, a radar operator, an observer, a flight engineer, or a bombardier.

4) Less than 25 built.

5) Maximum speed greater than 300mph.

=Adrian=
Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 PM
adavis

Which warbird is this?

4) Less than 25 built.

6) Some examples fitted with airbrakes.

7) Two versions produced, each for a different service. Did not enter service with either.

=Adrian=
Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 AM
adavis

Which warbird is this?

4) Less than 25 built.

6) Some examples fitted with airbrakes.

7) Two versions produced, each for a different service. Did not enter service with either.

8) Original requirement specifed that this aircraft should use the wing and undercarriage of a mass produced aircraft from another manufacturer. In the end a purpose designed wooden wing was used.

=Adrian=

Last edited by adavis; 06-28-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 AM
adavis

I'm going to be on holiday (without internet) until next Thursday.

Top_Gun: I'm surprised you haven't got this one yet!!!

Best Regards,
=Adrian=
Old 06-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I'll play. Miles Monitor, yet another target tug, this one fast enough to be exciting and with two engines. Wikipedia discussion here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Monitor

Didn't know about this one: had to look it up.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Top_Gunn

Since Adrian won't be back for several days, I'm going to declare myself right about my answer to his question and post a new one to keep the quiz going.

Looking for a warbird.

1. Only a few of them produced, but all the ones that were manufactured were used by the one service that acquired them.

2. Some were civilian aircraft converted to military use, others were built specifically for the military, though based on civilian aircraft.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 07-01-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Since Adrian won't be back for several days, I'm going to declare myself right about my answer to his question and post a new one to keep the quiz going.

Looking for a warbird.

1. Only a few of them produced, but all the ones that were manufactured were used by the one service that acquired them.

2. Some were civilian aircraft converted to military use, others were built specifically for the military, though based on civilian aircraft.
Go for it, Top_Gunn. I was hoping Adrian meant "next" Thursday rather than "next Thursday but one"; but apparently not. You're right; we need to keep things rolling. Thanks; Ernie P.

PS: I spent a very long afternoon trying to recover my granddaughter's SIG LT-40. A classic "lockout", apparently. Suddenly, nothing worked. The plane went into a gentle left circle, very slowly working it's way lower and lower. Lots of time to verify nothing seemed wrong at ground level. Unfortunately, we had a pretty brisk wind from 6 O'clock; and the plane was last seen dropping below tree level a half mile or more away. Aerial help from a friend with a Bellanca couldn't pick up a location. We'll look more tomorrow. Tnx; EP
Old 07-02-2016, 04:03 AM
Top_Gunn

Looking for a warbird.

3. Twin engines, crew of two.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:02 AM
Top_Gunn

Looking for a warbird.

4. A trainer, but some of them were used in other roles.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:10 AM
Top_Gunn

Fourth of July special: Two clues today!

Looking for a warbird.

5. Strictly speaking, it might have been more accurate to say "looking for a class of warbirds," because there was a fair amount of variation among the less than 30 of them used.

6. One of them played a minor part in a very-well-known operation, and the major role in an incident that still remains somewhat mysterious.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:10 AM
Top_Gunn

Tuesday morning clue:

Looking for a warbird.

5. Strictly speaking, it might have been more accurate to say "looking for a class of warbirds," because there was a fair amount of variation among the less than 30 of them used.

6. One of them played a minor part in a very-well-known operation and the major role in an incident that still remains somewhat mysterious.

7. A portion of one of them is (or at least was: my info may not be up to date) on display in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Top_Gunn

Tuesday afternoon clue:

Looking for a warbird.

6. One of them played a minor part in a very-well-known operation and the major role in an incident that still remains somewhat mysterious.

7. A portion of one of them is (or at least was: my info may not be up to date) on display in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

8. A portion of one of them ....
Old 07-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Tuesday afternoon clue:

Looking for a warbird.

8. A portion of one of them ....

I'll take a shot, if for no other reason than to get it out of the way. How about the Lockheed Electra 10; specifically the B and E versions?

Electra 10-B