Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 10-07-2016, 01:07 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And, once again, it's time for another clue:
1) One was developed by a well known manufacturer, the other was by a relative "upstart"
2) Both of these planes evolved into aircraft that be came legends a few years later
3) Neither plane was considered a true dogfighter in it's original form or after it evolved
4) While one plane stayed close to it's original form, the other ended up with a similar wing and tail section in a slimmer design than it originally had
5) While both of the final versions of the planes were combat veterans, only one of the original designs saw real combat
6) One plane used Boeing designed reward retracting landing gear, the other used the more conventional type
Good Luck
Just a heads up.
I'll be away from my normal internet access points for a few days so if you don't see me, that's why.
Hydro Junkie; thanks for the heads up; Ernie P.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:52 AM
Ernie P.

And, once again, it's time for another clue:
1) One was developed by a well known manufacturer, the other was by a relative "upstart"
2) Both of these planes evolved into aircraft that be came legends a few years later
3) Neither plane was considered a true dogfighter in it's original form or after it evolved
4) While one plane stayed close to it's original form, the other ended up with a similar wing and tail section in a slimmer design than it originally had
5) While both of the final versions of the planes were combat veterans, only one of the original designs saw real combat
6) One plane used Boeing designed reward retracting landing gear, the other used the more conventional type
Good Luck
Just a heads up.
I'll be away from my normal internet access points for a few days so if you don't see me, that's why.
That last clue just makes it irresistible. You have to be talking about the P-36, so that makes the pair the Republic P-43 Lancer,which became the P-47; and the P-36, which became the P-40. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:41 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It's yours Ernie. I figured that last clue would give it away
Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Ernie P.

It's yours Ernie. I figured that last clue would give it away
Thank you, Sir. Yes, that last clue locked it in; but for some reason I had a pretty small list of possible candidates before that. For me, the third clue was a real key. Good question. Okay; we've been talking about the planes for a while; so this one is about an airman. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?
Clues:
1. This ace’s name isn’t at the top of any list. But it’s there on just about all the lists.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Ernie P.

Late night clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
1. This ace’s name isn’t at the top of any list. But it’s there on just about all the lists.
2. He was a fighter pilot; and a pretty good one.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:34 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
3. He became an ace after less than six weeks in combat.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
4. He survived his war as one of his country’s highest scoring aces in his area of operations.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:13 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
4. He survived his war as one of his country’s highest scoring aces in his area of operations.
5. And, one of the highest in any area.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:10 AM
pd1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could it be Kenneth A Walsh?
Old 10-09-2016, 05:41 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by pd1
Could it be Kenneth A Walsh?
Not Walsh, pd1; but here's a bonus clue to reward your participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
6. He mainly flew a multi-engine aircraft in combat.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
7. He was already a military pilot at the start of WWII in September, 1939.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'd say Richard Bong but I doubt it would be that simple
Old 10-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Ernie P.

I'd say Richard Bong but I doubt it would be that simple
So you're NOT guessing Dick Bong? That's good, because it isn't him. But it wasn't a bad guess (had you made it) and this pilot did have some things in common with Bong. And I'll award you a bonus question for participating. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
8. He was present at the first battle his country fought, although there is no record of his actually flying during that battle.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:59 PM
pd1

Charles Henry "Mac" MacDonald, P-38 pilot, airplane Putt Putt Maru ?

Last edited by pd1; 10-10-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by pd1
Charles Henry "Mac" MacDonald, P-38 pilot, airplane Putt Putt Maru ?
Right on the money, pd1; and you are up. The third highest scoring American ace in the Pacific Theater with 27 victories (although some accounts list him with 36 victories), MacDonald went on to a long career with the United States Air Force. Good job! Okay; pd1; you are now up and we await your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
8. He was present at the first battle his country fought, although there is no record of his actually flying during that battle.
9. His first actual aerial combat was in October of 1943.

Answer: Charles MacDonald

Colonel Charles Henry "Mac" MacDonald, USAF, (November 23, 1914 – March 3, 2002) was an American fighter ace. MacDonald commanded the 475th Fighter Group for 20 months in his P-38 Lightning, "Putt Putt Maru" with the unit number "100" and becoming the third ranking fighter ace in the Pacific during World War II.

MacDonald was born in Dubois, Pennsylvania on November 23, 1914. He entered the U.S. Army Air Corps pilot training program after graduating from Louisiana State University in 1938. He received his flight wings and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant at Kelly Field, Texas on May 25, 1939. His first assignment was to the 55th Pursuit Group, he later transferred to the 18th Pursuit Group at Wheeler Field, Hawaii on February 9, 1941 and was at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

MacDonald then served in the United States with the 326th Fighter Group before transferring to the 348th Fighter Group to command the 340th Pursuit Squadron at Westover Field, Maine. On October 1, 1943, then a major, joined the 475th Fighter Group at Dobodura, New Guinea as the group executive officer. He scored his first four victories that month and became an ace on November 9, 1943 when he downed two Zekes near Alexishafen Airdrome. He was promoted to lieutenant colonel the following day on November 10, 1943 and became the group commander. He finished the war with 27 confirmed victories, making him the third highest ranking U.S. Army fighter pilot of the Pacific Theater.

MacDonald returned to the United States in July 1945 where he served in various staff and command assignments, including the 33rd Fighter Group and 23rd Fighter Wing commander, Air Attachι to Sweden, and instructor at the US War College in Washington, D.C. before retiring from the Air Force as a colonel in July 1961. Colonel MacDonald's retirement ceremony at McChord AFB near Tacoma, Washington included a performance by the USAF Thunderbirds and a declaration of 'Col. Charles MacDonald Day'. He then moved to Anacortes, Washington where he opened a real estate business selling island properties in Puget Sound (an excuse to pursue his love of sailing) and his four children finished High School. In 1971 he closed the real estate business, sailed to Mexico, and in 1973 returned to San Diego, California where he and his wife sold the boat that he had first purchased while in Sweden. They spent the next year building a new boat then Colonel MacDonald and his wife spent their time sailing the Pacific and the Caribbean until her death in 1978. He then came ashore and settled back to where he grew up in Mobile, Alabama.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 AM
pd1

I have multiple myeloma and with all the treatments and downtime I would only slow the thread down, a lot.
There are only a few days a week that I can post and following the thread is enjoyable. But I would hope someone else could do the questions.
Thank you
Paul DiNoto
Old 10-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by pd1
I have multiple myeloma and with all the treatments and downtime I would only slow the thread down, a lot.
There are only a few days a week that I can post and following the thread is enjoyable. But I would hope someone else could do the questions.
Thank you
Paul DiNoto
Paul; you concentrate on getting past the challenges you face, and we'll pick up the slack for you. If you enjoy trying to answer the questions, then please do so. If you have the ability to ask the questions, and tend to the process, then do so. But if you can't, don't worry about it. We'll be happy to help.

Okay, guys; pd1 has relinquished the floor. Any one else feel like asking the next question? If no one else steps in over the next day or so, I'll pick it up. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

Might I suggest that pd1 come up with a question and clues and send them to someone else so he can participate in the question part as well? This would circumvent the access time problem and allow him to still be a "quizzer" rather than just a "quizzie"
Old 10-10-2016, 11:48 PM
Ernie P.

Might I suggest that pd1 come up with a question and clues and send them to someone else so he can participate in the question part as well? This would circumvent the access time problem and allow him to still be a "quizzer" rather than just a "quizzie"
Hydro Junkie, that's a great idea. I agree it would increase pd1's participation without causing any delays in postings.

Well, pd1; what do you think? If you agree, simply send me, or any one else who agrees to assist, your question and list of clues. What say you? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Ernie P.

All;

Apparently, pd1 is unavailable right now, so the floor is open. If you have a question, please post it. First come, first served, etc. If no one posts anything by tomorrow evening, I will post something. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Ernie P.

Well, seeing no takers, here we go again. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
1. His name is right there at the top of at least one list.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:34 PM
propwashed
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-14-2016, 01:57 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
2. And, second on a much larger list.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
3. He was an experienced military veteran before his war began.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:03 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:
3. He was an experienced military veteran before his war began.
4. And, he was already a pilot; although he did not start his military career as such.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.