Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more clue, for now...
1) Monoplane...
2) Twin engined...
3) Propeller driven...
4) Manuf. used the same name twice...for two totally different aircraft...almost 2 decades apart...
5) Designed to a mid-war requirement...(WW2)
6) Thinking of the above mentioned contra props...some versions had these as well...
7) Designed to be utilized as a Bomber...Recon, or Torpedo attack craft...
8) Some complaints of inadaquite power led to use of the then new turboprop engines, in some later versions.
9) The bomb bay could be used to house bombs or depth charges...
10) The first flight(s) were after the end of the war...
11) Some of the later versions were modified after the war, for Anti-Submarine Warfare / Detection use, but they were Short lived...
12) The ASW versions were Turboprop engined, with single props (not contra-rotating) and transformed a decent looking plane into a hideous (IMO) looking thing that also had rather abysmal flight characteristics.
13) The first aircraft to use the name was a late 1920's biplane...almost 20 years prior...
14) It had folding wings...which oughta narrow the field somewhat...
15) A few were used as target tugs...but there were so many other (more common) types available after the war that our quiz aircraft became superfluous.
16) Limited production...more than 2 dozen but less than 3...
Old 04-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's the plane I think it is, the last version was even uglier than the Gannet, hard to believe though that may be.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:43 PM
proptop

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
If it's the plane I think it is, the last version was even uglier than the Gannet, hard to believe though that may be.
"Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder"...or words to that effect...(or is it affect? I get those two mixed up)
In the case of this aircraft, and the Gannet, they must have had bad eyesight or sumpthin'...although the prototype was cool looking, IMO...it just got uglified as mods were made.

T G ...name the plane you're thinking of, because info on our quiz plane is kinda Short...and I will be fishing for more soon...
Old 04-21-2018, 12:50 PM
proptop

One more clue, for now...
1) Monoplane...
2) Twin engined...
3) Propeller driven...
4) Manuf. used the same name twice...for two totally different aircraft...almost 2 decades apart...
6) Thinking of the above mentioned contra props...some versions had these as well...
8) Some complaints of inadaquite power led to use of the then new turboprop engines, in some later versions.
11) Some of the later versions were modified after the war, for Anti-Submarine Warfare / Detection use, but they were Short lived...
12) The ASW versions were Turboprop engined, with single props (not contra-rotating) and transformed a decent looking plane into a hideous (IMO) looking thing that also had rather abysmal flight characteristics.
13) The first aircraft to use the name was a late 1920's biplane...almost 20 years prior...
15) A few were used as target tugs...but there were so many other (more common) types available after the war that our quiz aircraft became superfluous.
17) The Country of Origin is in an above guess...
Old 04-21-2018, 03:28 PM
proptop

Let's add some more to the list...
1) Monoplane...
2) Twin engined...
3) Propeller driven...

18) The folding wings clue indicates that it was intended for Carrier use...but after the war ended, the Carriers it was designed to operate from were cancelled, so...

Last edited by proptop; 04-21-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:08 PM
proptop

1) Monoplane...
2) Twin engined...
3) Propeller driven...
18) The folding wings clue indicates that it was intended for Carrier use...but after the war ended, the Carriers it was designed to operate from were cancelled, so...
19) To clarify the above...two carriers were under construction (and 2 were cancelled) but work on them was suspended until the 50's when they were modified to handle the newer, larger aircraft, but by then, our quiz aircraft was obsolete...
Old 04-21-2018, 04:32 PM
proptop

1) Monoplane...
2) Twin engined...
3) Propeller driven...
19) To clarify the above...two carriers were under construction (and 2 were cancelled) but work on them was suspended until the 50's when they were modified to handle the newer, larger aircraft, but by then, our quiz aircraft was obsolete...
20) It's armament consisted of 2 x .50 cal. Browning machine guns...with a 1000lb. bomb, or 2 x 500 lb. or 4 x 250 lb. depth charges in the bomb bay, and 16 underwing 60lb. rockets
Old 04-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Top_Gunn

OK, can't resist any longer. How about the Short Sturgeon? Here's the Wikipedia page: scroll down until you get to the picture of the anti-submarine version. Maybe have a stiff drink first. The only reason I got this (if it is this airplane) was Proptop's using "Short" capitalized in a couple of clues. I figured that was a bonus clue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Sturgeon
Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 PM
proptop

You got it...and yes, the Short being capitalized was a hidden extra clue...thanks...

I also read where the ASW versions w/ the turboprop engines had their exhausts pointing down, which really messed with the trim, with changes in power settings...and engine out conditions were oh s*%# big time...
All of that additional side area ahead of the C. G. with no additional fin / rudder area could'nt have helped matters either...

The early, Merlin engined versions were nice looking. I think...but we've seen it happen many times...with modifications, and changes in job requirements, the sometimes grotesque protuberences appear...

https://www.airteamimages.com/short-...vy_114018.html

Your turn T G...

https://elpoderdelasgalaxias.wordpre...unching-balls/

Last edited by proptop; 04-21-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:45 PM
proptop

Hi Ernie...I guess you are hangin' back? Lurking in invisible mode...I wonder if it had an affect / effect on this quiz? Prob. got the wrong one...again...I forget things like that...(absent minded Professor here)
Old 04-22-2018, 04:51 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by proptop
Hi Ernie...I guess you are hangin' back? Lurking in invisible mode...I wonder if it had an affect / effect on this quiz? Prob. got the wrong one...again...I forget things like that...(absent minded Professor here)
I'm just enjoying the interchange and trying not to affect the effect of the clues. And yes; that was one very ugly bird. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:04 AM
Top_Gunn

Fun quiz, Proptop. Here we go again.

Looking for the name of a warbird.

1. Never got past the prototype stage.

2. Meant for a very narrowly defined mission.

3. Monoplane, four engines.

4. Nearly as ugly as the ASW Sturgeon.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 04-22-2018 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Top_Gunn

Evening clue:

5. Ceiling about 6000 feet, top speed somewhat over 100.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:53 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue:

6. Crew of three.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Top_Gunn

Evening clue:

6. Crew of three.

7. The project was ended because technological advances made developing an airplane to do what this one was intended to do unnecessary.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue:

6. Crew of three.

7. The project was ended because technological advances made developing an airplane to do what this one was intended to do unnecessary.
Al, I have a bunch of guesses for you. However, almost all of them have the name Zeppelin as part of the answer. So, how about the Zeppelin-Lindau Rs.III? Thanks; Ernie P.The Zeppelin-Lindau Rs.III (known incorrectly postwar as the Dornier Rs.III) was a large four-engined monoplaneflying boat designed by Claudius Dornier and built during 1917 on the German side of Lake Constance at the Zeppelin-Lindau works.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:29 AM
Top_Gunn

The Zeppelin-Lindau Rs.III fits the clues so far, though I think my target would rate higher on the ugly scale. And its intended mission (Clue 2) was much narrower than that of the Rs.III. But I may have been leading you astray. I know you'd never do such a thing. Here's another clue:

Morning clue:

6. Crew of three.

8. Tricycle landing gear.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 04-24-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Top_Gunn

I'll be tied up tomorrow with several things, and probably won't have time to get online. So here are two clues in place of the usual one. Back again on Thursday.

6. Crew of three.

9. Folding wings.

10. No armament.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:28 AM
Top_Gunn

Thursday clue.

6. Crew of three.

9. Folding wings.

10. No armament.

11. Designed to have a very low cruise speed and to be quiet.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:21 PM
Ernie P.

Thursday clue.

6. Crew of three.

9. Folding wings.

10. No armament.

Al; for some time, given the low speed and low altitude, I figured you were looking for a low altitude, low noise aircraft. But the only four engine one I know of is the RU-38, and they built several of those. So, for the moment, I'm lost. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Schweizer RU-38 Twin Condor is a two or three-seat, fixed gear, low wing, twin boom covert reconnaissance aircraft.[6]
[7]

RU-38 is the US military designation for the aircraft, indicating Utility, Reconnaissance. The Schweizer company model number is Schweizer SA 2-38A Condor and, in its three-seat configuration, Schweizer SA 3-38A Condor[8]

Based on the Schweizer SGM 2-37 motor glider, a total of five RU-38s were produced between 1995 and 2005. The aircraft remains in production by Sikorsky Aircraft after acquiring Schweizer.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:31 PM
Top_Gunn

Getting close! But the airplane I'm looking for never reached production and was a generation earlier.

This clue may help..
B

6. Crew of three.

9. Folding wings.

10. No armament.

12. The technological advance that made it unnecessary to develop a plane to do what this one would have done was the production of effective airborne radar.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:20 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue.

6. Crew of three.

9. Folding wings.

10. No armament.

12. The technological advance that made it unnecessary to develop a plane to do what this one would have done was the production of effective airborne radar.

13. It would have flown from an aircraft carrier.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Blimp?
Bourbon does wonders to clear the mind.

Sparky
Old 04-28-2018, 01:59 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Blimp?
Bourbon does wonders to clear the mind.

Sparky
Sparky; a monoplane blimp with folding wings? Maybe I'll have a drink of Bourbon and consider that. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:31 AM
proptop

A monoplane blimp with folding wings...hmmm...maybe that's why it never got past the prototype stage !?

This one really has me scratching my...noggin...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.