Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:53 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The P-43 Lancer
A good guess, Hydro Junie; but not correct. There is nothing wrong with your thinking process; so keep trying. And here's a bonus clue to help you. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft never reached production.

2. But, it wasn’t because there was anything wrong with the aircraft itself.

3. Although the plane was certainly adequate for its intended mission, a policy decision made its intended mission irrelevant.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. Although the plane was certainly adequate for its intended mission, a policy decision made its intended mission irrelevant.

4. Nevertheless, the original mission and intention was resurrected some 20 years later.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I know, the B-70 Valkyrie
Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Ernie P.

I know, the B-70 Valkyrie
It does kind of sound like the B-70, doesn't it? But it isn't, so keep trying. Here's another clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

4. Nevertheless, the original mission and intention was resurrected some 20 years later.

5. And our subject aircraft was again offered to fulfill the mission.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 05-24-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:38 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I didn't think of the B-70 so much as a prototype but as a research aircraft..... and to scare the crap out of the Soviets!
Sparky
Old 05-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Ernie P.

An evening clue to speed things along. Thanks; Ernie P.

6. Our subject aircraft was easy to fly, very maneuverable and a real handful for other contemporary aircraft to handle in mock combat.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by elmshoot
I didn't think of the B-70 so much as a prototype but as a research aircraft..... and to scare the crap out of the Soviets!
Sparky
Actually, the B-70 was supposed to be used as a high altitude supersonic nuclear bomber to hit targets in the Soviet Union. The thought was that using high speeds and altitudes, it would be impossible to stop. That all changed when the Russians shot down a U-2 and captured its pilot, alive. The Pentagon then scrubbed the program in preference to low altitude aircraft that could use terrain to hide their approach. This was the basis of several subsequent aircraft programs, leading up to the F-111(originally designed as a fighter), B-1 and B-2
Old 05-24-2018, 07:23 PM
Ernie P.

Actually, the B-70 was supposed to be used as a high altitude supersonic nuclear bomber to hit targets in the Soviet Union. The thought was that using high speeds and altitudes, it would be impossible to stop. That all changed when the Russians shot down a U-2 and captured its pilot, alive. The Pentagon then scrubbed the program in preference to low altitude aircraft that could use terrain to hide their approach. This was the basis of several subsequent aircraft programs, leading up to the F-111(originally designed as a fighter), B-1 and B-2
Right you are, Sirs. And for sharing that info, you two are awarded a bonus clue. The aircraft in question definitely went low, rather than high. Thanks; Ernie P.

6. Our subject aircraft was easy to fly, very maneuverable and a real handful for other contemporary aircraft to handle in mock combat.

7. However, the advance of technology resulted in a new design being chosen for the mission.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:21 AM
Mr.Alvaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sabre II that became the JF-17 Thunder?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:12 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Mr.Alvaro
Sabre II that became the JF-17 Thunder?
Welcome, Sir! A new voice and an interesting guess. The Sabre II isn't a well known plane. Interesting. But, not the plane for which we seek; so here's another clue to reward your participation. Please try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. However, the advance of technology resulted in a new design being chosen for the mission.

8. The aircraft which won out over our subject aircraft, 20 years later, went into production.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Ernie P.

8. The aircraft which won out over our subject aircraft, 20 years later, went into production.

9. More than one thousand of that aircraft were produced; and it is well known.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 05-25-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Beechcraft XA-38 Grizzly seems to fit almost all of the clues (with the A-10 as the modern plane that reached production), but I can't find anything to fit Clue 5. And I'm not sure A-10 production went over 1000, unless you count major upgrades as additional production. Still, the XA-38 fits clues 1 to 4 and 6 very well, and it's a plane well worth looking at.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
The Beechcraft XA-38 Grizzly seems to fit almost all of the clues (with the A-10 as the modern plane that reached production), but I can't find anything to fit Clue 5. And I'm not sure A-10 production went over 1000, unless you count major upgrades as additional production. Still, the XA-38 fits clues 1 to 4 and 6 very well, and it's a plane well worth looking at.
A good guess, Top_Gunn; but not where we're headed. Here's a bonus clue to reward your diligence, though. Thanks; Ernie P.

10. Our subject aircraft had one serious flaw in its original design, revealed when its guns were fired.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:17 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

F-104 shot itself down on a strafing run in flight test.
I believe the A-10 also had a flame out from gun gasses being ingested in the engines.
Sparky
Old 05-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
F-104 shot itself down on a strafing run in flight test.
I believe the A-10 also had a flame out from gun gasses being ingested in the engines.
Sparky
Neither the F-104 or the A-10, Sparky. But I will award another bonus clue for your efforts. And since today is going to be a really long one, I'll go ahead and drop a couple more. Thanks; Ernie P.

10. Our subject aircraft had one serious flaw in its original design, revealed when its guns were fired.

11. The muzzle flash temporarily blinded the pilot.

12. And the gases produced by firing knocked out both engines very rapidly.

13. Even a single gun firing a few shells was sufficient to knock out the engine on that side.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Ernie P.

A bonus clue for... for.... Today! Thanks; Ernie P.

13. Even a single gun firing a few shells was sufficient to knock out the engine on that side.

14. This defect in design was corrected by moving the air intakes forward.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:47 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

15. And mounting the guns on the bottom of the fuselage.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:12 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avro Arrow?
Old 05-27-2018, 07:59 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Avro Arrow?
Not the Avro Arrow, JohnnyS; but here's a bonus clue to thank you for your participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

16. This resulted in a rather unusual profile. A profile which brought something unrelated to mind very quickly.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:02 AM
Ernie P.

16. This resulted in a rather unusual profile. A profile which brought something unrelated to mind very quickly.

17. But, in my opinion at least, never has a military aircraft looked quite so aggressive.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Ernie P.

17. But, in my opinion at least, never has a military aircraft looked quite so aggressive.

18. This plane had a crew of two.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:00 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall reading of the guns firing and the smoke knocking out the engines...and moving the intakes fwd...I think it was the F-89 Scorpion?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by proptop
I recall reading of the guns firing and the smoke knocking out the engines...and moving the intakes fwd...I think it was the F-89 Scorpion?
I don't recall any problems with the guns knocking out the engines on the F-89, proptop. Some flutter problems if I recall correctly, but we're not looking for the F-89 in any event. But thanks for trying and here's a bonus clue for your effort. Thanks; Ernie P.

19. The aircraft was ordered into production, but only five had been produced when the policy shift mentioned put an end to the program.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:30 AM
Ernie P.

19. The aircraft was ordered into production, but only five had been produced when the policy shift mentioned put an end to the program.

20. The aircraft was heavily armored.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:41 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by proptop I recall reading of the guns firing and the smoke knocking out the engines...and moving the intakes fwd...I think it was the F-89 Scorpion?

Originally Posted by Ernie P. I don't recall any problems with the guns knocking out the engines on the F-89, proptop. Some flutter problems if I recall correctly, but we're not looking for the F-89 in any event. But thanks for trying and here's a bonus clue for your effort. Thanks; Ernie P.

From what I can tell, moving the intakes forward wouldn't do any good on the F-89 anyway. The muzzles the lowest four 50 cal machine guns are actually right in front of the engines on both sides of the nose as shown in this picture:
Click image for larger version

Name:	74th_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_Northrop_F-89C-40-NO_Scorpion_51-5851.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	2260717

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 05-29-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.