Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 07-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was beginning to think it wasn't as easy as I thought. Time to go over the clues:
1) This plane was one of the first of it's kind The Helldiver was one of the first planes designed from the beginning as a dive bomber
2) This plane was powered by a single engine The engine was a P&W R-1535-82 Twin Wasp Jr
3) This plane had a crew of two The crew consisted of a pilot and radio operator/gunner
4) This plane had a design feature used by only one other manufacturer The landing gear was of a design very similar to the Grumman FF-1 through F4F Wildcat, retracting flush with the sides of the fuse forward of the wing
5) While this plane was around during a war, it was never used in combat The Helldiver was made operational in 1937 with "Scouting 5", based on the USS Yorktown(CV-5), but was not used in combat. It was relegated to training status just prior to the start of WWII
6) This plane was designed to replace a previously designed, but not accepted, aircraft that had a parasol wing arrangement The Curtis model 73 was designed as a fighter-bomber but was not able to handle the stress of pulling out of a dive
7) This plane was only purchased by the country of manufacture and two of their allies. One of the ally's planes never flew, after being received, and actually corroded to the point of being junk Great Britain bought a few that were used for training. France ordered 90, 50 of which went to the carrier Bearn. After the fall of France, the Bearn sailed to Martinique where, due to the tropical environment, the planes corroded to the point of being unflyable
8) This plane shared it's name with another successful aircraft that was built roughly five years later The name "Helldiver" was passed on the the 1940 design SB2C, a plane that became famous in the later stages of WWII
9) This plane was originally armed with two 30 caliber machine guns. One was fixed to fire forward, a second in the rear cockpit in a flexible mount
10) The country that ordered but didn't fly this plane had it armed with twin 50 caliber guns instead of the .30s The French planes also had the instrumentation replaced with European style metric guages
11) This plane was replaced by another plane that became legendary due to it's performance, durability and combat record That legendary plane was the "do everything" SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber
12) A contemporary plane, used in the same role as our subject aircraft that actually did see combat, was badly mauled during it's only battle This was the Vought SB2U Vindicator. What I wasn't aware of is that the Vindicator actually flew in France as part of the French Navy's air arm, flying from land bases. The plane was badly mauled by German fighters, just like in the Pacific where Japanese fighters shot them down fairly quickly

Okay Johnny, YOU'RE UP
Old 07-07-2018, 05:56 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, HJ. Good to know I still got it!!

OK, new aircraft.

1. Operated by the originating country and three others.
2. Crew of 2.
3. Although obsolete, there was one claimed kill of a Bf 109.
4. When it went into service, it was as fast as contemporary fighters.
5. It was a light bomber originally, but there were reconnaissance ad fighter versions produced. Even a floatplane!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:22 AM
JohnnyS

No takers? OK, here's a couple more clues.

2. Crew of 2.
5. It was a light bomber originally, but there were reconnaissance and fighter versions produced. Even a floatplane!
6. The aircraft in question was resisted by the government body tasked with governing the service branch that would use the aircraft as it had several features that were not desired, including a foreign engine.
7. Nevertheless, the military and professional head of the branch of the service which would use the aircraft overruled the government body and told the designer that he had decided to order a squadron of these aircraft.,
Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Heinkel He 51

Just studing Adolf Galland and this sounded familiar.
Sparky
Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 AM
JohnnyS

Not the Heinkel, sorry!

New clues!

2. Crew of 2.
5. It was a light bomber originally, but there were reconnaissance and fighter versions produced. Even a floatplane!
6. The aircraft in question was resisted by the government body tasked with governing the service branch that would use the aircraft as it had several features that were not desired, including a foreign engine.
7. Nevertheless, the military and professional head of the branch of the service which would use the aircraft overruled the government body and told the designer that he had decided to order a squadron of these aircraft.
8. Once in service with the originating country, the foreign engine was replaced with a domestically-produced engine of similar configuration.
9. The aircraft in question was only flown in service by a single squadron of the air force of the originating country.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:16 AM
JohnnyS

New clue...

2. Crew of 2.
7. Nevertheless, the military and professional head of the branch of the service which would use the aircraft overruled the government body and told the designer that he had decided to order a squadron of these aircraft.
8. Once in service with the originating country, the foreign engine was replaced with a domestically-produced engine of similar configuration.
9. The aircraft in question was only flown in service by a single squadron of the air force of the originating country.
10. Two of these aircraft took part in a race in 1934 but did not do well at all.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 AM
JohnnyS

This should be easy at this point!

2. Crew of 2.
10. Two of these aircraft took part in a race in 1934 but did not do well at all.
11. ...cross the Mersey
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

I think I know but I'm leaving town tomorrow so I can't post a new question. Do youwant my guess any way?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Gerry and the Pacemakers told me to guess the Fairey Fox...???
Old 07-11-2018, 03:12 PM
JohnnyS

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Exactly right, proptop! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Fox

(My next clue was going to be "The Fabulous Mister...")

You have the floor, proptop! Have fun
Old 07-12-2018, 07:31 AM
proptop

Ferry cross the Mersey, by Gerry and the Pacemakers...part of the "British Invasion"...the Beatles...the Stones...the Kinks...the Dave Clark 5...etc...music of my youth...great memories...

O.K...
I will start by saying that we are looking for an aircraft...

1) A fairly well known aircraft...
2) There might be several of us here, who have flown in this aircraft...
2) Aircraft used by numerous commercial airlines and military...

Last edited by proptop; 07-12-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote by proptop: "Ferry cross the Mersey, by Gerry and the Pacemakers...part of the "British Invasion"...the Beatles...the Stones...the Kinks...the Dave Clark 5...etc...music of my youth...great memories..."

They were indeed, Sir. Memories of days gone by and now times long past. But on the other hand: If you had told me in the late 50's or even the late 60's, that I would be able, more than 50 years later, to simply turn on the radio to any random station, or walk into a Dairy Queen, or simply watch a new movie or television show, and hear the same music I was listening to in my youth, I'd have thought you were crazy. The kids today use much of the same slang, dress in much the same way, and listen to much of the same music as we did in the mid 1950's to mid 1960's. Who would have thought? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:01 PM
proptop

Hi Ernie...I don't recall exactly how it went, but there was a "pop" musician / song writer who said something like that...(I think it might have been Neil Diamond?)
It was sorta like (don't want to quote) When you hear your music (muzak?) in banks and elevators, you know you've written a real good tune...

My friends and I joke about listening to The Beatles, Led Zepplin, and maybe Black Sabbath in the nursing home...a few years from now...lol..."terrorizing" the nurses as we race around in our wheelchairs...

Last edited by proptop; 07-12-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:05 PM
proptop

O.K...
I will start by saying that we are looking for an aircraft...

3) Aircraft used by numerous commercial airlines and military...
4) The fuselage construction, and cross-section, is very much like its immediate predecessor...however...
5) The number and layout of the engines is different...
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM
proptop

3) Aircraft used by numerous commercial airlines and military...
4) The fuselage construction, and cross-section, is very much like its immediate predecessor...however...
5) The number and layout of the engines is different...
6) Its early flights were in the same time frame as the music we've been talking about, the "British Invasion" era...
Old 07-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

How about a 727? Three engines, two mounted on the outside of the fuse on pylons aft of the main cabin while the third was fared into the tail cone. It's predecessor was the four engined 707/C135.
Another option would be the DC-9/MD-80/C-9. Again, it's predecessor was the four engined DC-8

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 PM
proptop

I kinda thought that this one wouldn't last long...
You got it H-J...the B727...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_727

My first flight in a big, commercial airliner...1968...in an Eastern 727...made an impression on this young guy...and spurred on my interest in aviation...
We landed in LaGuardia then transferred to a Mohawk Airlines Convair 440...to Oneida Co. apt...

You are up!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

I personally love the 727. I've flown on them many times and used to work on them at Everett Washington's Paine Field while employed at Goodrich Aviation. I even got to work on the plane that was leased by Valsan Partners, used for flight testing the now common "tiplets" and larger JT8D-200 engines on the outboard engine mounts instead of the normally used JT8D-7. While the engine change proved to be unworkable for commercially flown aircraft, the "tiplets" were proven to decrease drag, resulting in slightly higher speeds and lower fuel usage. As a result, they were retrofitted on many 727s and are now a standard feature on all 737s and, with design modifications, the 747,767,777 and 787s.
As for coming up with a quiz, I'll see what I can come up with. If I don't have something by tomorrow night, I'll open the floor
Old 07-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay guys, got one.
Looking for a plane:
1) This plane was an adaptations of another design that proved to be unsuccessful
2) This was one of the first planes built for this specific role
Good Luck
Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 AM
elmshoot

I have about 2000 hours in the 727 at FedEx. we had a whole bunch of different variants the -100 would actually go faster and was a little nicer to land. The Valsan conversion was on a handful of our planes and I still fondly remember flying one empty from Ohara to Indy (non stop).
This plane was awsome in all loads but with a light fuel load and no cargo it was a ROCKET SHIP I was right seat and it was my leg so I prebriefed the takeoff because if I didn't go 25 degrees nose up on takeoff I would have to pull power to keep from overspeeding the gear or flaps. 20 miles from the airport at 20,000 feet! most impressive and really a lot of fun. Landing it empty had its own set of challenges and usually resulted in some moments. The key was to be on speed on approach and get the power back just at touchdown. Normal technique was to pull the pods back to idle at about 20-30 feet and then close #2 just at touchdown. Navy training had us always on speed for the approach...
Quite a versatile airplane, noisy cockpit.
Sparky
Old 07-15-2018, 03:05 PM
proptop

I worked at a maint. facility here in Rome (formerly Griffiss AFB)...in the paint shop...
One night, after clean-up, and shortly before clocking out, I watched on flightaware.com a 727 leave Cleveland and head for us...I figured it would be here for us to work on the next day...I remember seeing it, briefly, hit IIRC 628 MPH, (with a tail wind perhaps, or no?) and it was taxiing up to the hangars as we walked out to our cars! It sure didn't take long to get here...

The next day I talked to one of the guys that ferried it here about that and he said empty, and light fuel it's a "Hot Rod"...but the center engine in the fuse. transmits noise and vibration into the cabin.
The Doctor that owned the Dassault Fakcon 900 said the same thing...beautiful...fast and loud...(kinda like Gas Monkey?)

Last edited by proptop; 07-15-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

I remember watching a 727-200F take off after completing a "D" check. The pilot loved to show off and, again, light on fuel and no cargo, he decided to play. Took the plane to the far north end of the runway and "firewalled" the throttles. Plane was airborne after 25% of the runway, had flaps/slats and gear up at 50 feet before 50% and was going almost straight up before hitting the south end. Don't know how fast he was going when he pulled the nose up, just know he was never allowed to be PIC on a check flight again after that
Old 07-15-2018, 04:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

Time to get back to the quiz.
Looking for a plane:
1) This plane was an adaptations of another design that proved to be unsuccessful
2) This was one of the first planes built for this specific role
3) This plane was multi-engined
4) This plane had an operational crew of 13 but could carry as many as 24
5) This plane never carried any gunnery
Good Luck
Old 07-15-2018, 04:58 PM
uncljoe

SWAG.. RC 135
Semper Fi
Old 07-15-2018, 06:41 PM
elmshoot

Connie/ EC-121/WV-2 etc etc......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.