Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:39 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

A lot of good clues but I'm still clueless on which airplane it is.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Well it almost sounds like a gas bag but the controline clue has me stumped.
Sparky
What's important about that clue isn't that it was a control-line model. The only thing about that that matters is that it dates the plan; had to be somewhat old, I suppose. What matters is that it was a plan for a twin-engine scale model of an airplane that had four engines. More later, in case this isn't enough.

As for the smell of the exhaust, it wasn't that the fuel was particularly unusual. Just the opposite, in fact. Like the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:25 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue, which may shed some light on Clue 9.

Looking for the name of a warbird.

1. Never used in the role for which it was designed because the service it was designed for chose a less-expensive and perhaps better aircraft.

2. But a few were ordered for a different use.

3. Four engines.

4. Not many built: something in the neighborhood of 20. But it served for approximately ten years.

5. Armed with cannons and machine guns, and could carry bombs. Whether it ever did carry bombs I don't know.

6. A couple of them were shot down.

7. On some of its missions it sent deceptive radio messages intended to make some of those listening think it was a different type of airplane. The airplane it was impersonating was the one it had lost out to years before (see Clue 1).

8. It was never a civil airplane; all of them were scrapped when the one service that flew them came up with a replacement.

9. I have looked for information about kits or plans for models of this airplane. The only thing I've found for flying models is a mention of an old plan for a twin-engine control-line model.

10. Shares its name with someone who lived in the 16th century. The name was pretty clearly chosen because of its sound, not because of that person's very distant connection to aviation.

11. If one of these still existed, and if it should fly by at full throttle while you were standing on the ground, you might find its sound puzzling. And, once you'd figured that out, the smell of the exhaust might then seem odd to you.

12. For some of its missions its crew numbered as high as 16.

13. See Clue 9. Ten or 15 years ago I saw a large and very accurate scale model of an airplane which had two engines (the full-scale airplane, that is). The model may have had only one engine. If I remember correctly (not a sure thing these days) the builder first built a single-engine model of that airplane and later built one with two engines. One or both of them were entered in scale contests and did well.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue. More about engines.

1. Never used in the role for which it was designed because the service it was designed for chose a less-expensive and perhaps better aircraft.

3. Four engines.

4. Not many built: something in the neighborhood of 20. But it served for approximately ten years.

5. Armed with cannons and machine guns, and could carry bombs. Whether it ever did carry bombs I don't know.

7. On some of its missions it sent deceptive radio messages intended to make some of those listening think it was a different type of airplane. The airplane it was impersonating was the one it had lost out to years before (see Clue 1).

8. It was never a civil airplane; all of them were scrapped when the one service that flew them came up with a replacement.

9. I have looked for information about kits or plans for models of this airplane. The only thing I've found for flying models is a mention of an old plan for a twin-engine control-line model.

10. Shares its name with someone who lived in the 16th century. The name was pretty clearly chosen because of its sound, not because of that person's very distant connection to aviation.

11. If one of these still existed, and if it should fly by at full throttle while you were standing on the ground, you might find its sound puzzling. And, once you'd figured that out, the smell of the exhaust might then seem odd to you.

13. See Clue 9. Ten or 15 years ago I saw a large and very accurate scale model of an airplane which had two engines (the full-scale airplane, that is). The model may have had only one engine. If I remember correctly (not a sure thing these days) the builder first built a single-engine model of that airplane and later built one with two engines. One or both of them were entered in scale contests and did well.

14. The airplane it lost out to when the service chose one for its original intended role began as a twin-engine airplane. Later versions added two more engines, giving it a combination of engines similar to that of our subject airplane. That plane, even the later versions, would also be a suitable subject for a twin-engine model.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 AM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

It sounds like rotary wing airplane.
Sparky
Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Top_Gunn

It sounds like rotary wing airplane.
Sparky
Not a rotary wing aircraft. Quite conventional layout except that the engine arrangement is just a little bit unusual. Since this quiz is running longer than I'd anticipated, I'll award a bonus clue.

3. Four engines.

14. The airplane it lost out to when the service chose one for its original intended role began as a twin-engine airplane. Later versions added two more engines, giving it a combination of engines similar to that of our subject airplane. That plane, even the later versions, would also be a suitable subject for a twin-engine model.

15. It has something in common with all of these airplanes, and two things in common with two of them (not the same two things): Blackburn Blackburn, Hawker Hurricane, Lockheed Lightning, Martin Mars, Short Sperrin, Supermarine Spitfire.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 12-12-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

IIRC, all but the Mars and Sperrin use liquid cooled engines, the Mars uses radials while the Sperrin uses turbines. The Blackburn was carrier based, the Mars was a flying boat, the rest were land based. The Mars, Sperrin and the Blackburn were multi-seat planes while the rest were single seat fighters. Needless to say, your latest clue didn't help me in the least
Old 12-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
IIRC, all but the Mars and Sperrin use liquid cooled engines, the Mars uses radials while the Sperrin uses turbines. The Blackburn was carrier based, the Mars was a flying boat, the rest were land based. The Mars, Sperrin and the Blackburn were multi-seat planes while the rest were single seat fighters. Needless to say, your latest clue didn't help me in the least
Look at Clue 10.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 AM
CF105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ju-288?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Top_Gunn

Not the Ju 288. Different sort of engine configuration.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 12-12-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:39 PM
elmshoot

I'm pretty sure I figured it out. Clue 10 was how I did it. Think of early map makers.
Sparky
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Let me guess, it's either Galileo or Copernicus
Old 12-12-2018, 08:33 PM
elmshoot

Nope! Less known then mentioned but equally important. These guys were map makers look at your geography text books about how maps of the world are drawn.
Sparky

PS the smell clue #11 I think might not be accurate since all the engines used the same fuel. But maybe not.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:24 AM
Top_Gunn

Nope! Less known then mentioned but equally important. These guys were map makers look at your geography text books about how maps of the world are drawn.
Sparky

PS the smell clue #11 I think might not be accurate since all the engines used the same fuel. But maybe not.
You've got it. Sparky! Good job.The point about the smell clue is in fact that all the engines did use the same fuel. Once you'd gotten the sound thing figured out, wouldn't the absence of a particular smell seem puzzling? I suppose it would depend on exactly how much you knew: an ordinary amount of knowledge and the smell would seem odd, a lot and you'd know why. Maybe not a very realistic clue; the plane would have to have been flying awfully low for you to smell the exhaust.

You're the winner, but I'll leave it to you to post the answer. If (like another frequent participant (guess who)) you want to sit this one out, I'll let your response serve as this morning's clue.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Did I miss something what was the correct airplane?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:43 AM
Top_Gunn

Sparky's got it for sure, but he didn't give the name. So I figure he's the winner, but if he doesn't want to be he doesn't have to. So let's give him a while to either supply the name or say for sure that he doesn't want to. If he doesn't want to play this round, his post will count as today's clue. What he said about the plane and the person it was named for is fully accurate.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:50 AM
elmshoot

Martin P4M Mercator

is the answer.
Mercator (named after cartographer) is the name of the type of projection used to make maps of the world that gives a very distorted depiction of land masses the further you get from the equator
I'm not sure how you can do a single engine version maybe control line with the inboard engine operational.
As far as smell. It was my understanding the embedded Jet engines ran on the same AVgas115/145 which eliminated danger of misfueling the plane as well as logistically having two kinds of fuel in the dawn of the Jet age when Jet fuel might not be as available everywhere.
I just don't know if AVgas run through a turbine would smell any different.
I didn't realize it used different engines however since they aren't hanging out in the breeze like the Neptune.
I have some people I can check with about the smell.
Please explain #15
Sparky
Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 AM
CF105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect avgas run through a jet engine would still smell like burnt avgas... but you’d be expecting the smell of burnt kerosene.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by CF105
I suspect avgas run through a jet engine would still smell like burnt avgas... but you’d be expecting the smell of burnt kerosene.
That's it. Just like Sherlock Holmes pointing out to Inspector Gregory "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time." Which was that the dog did nothing during the night, although under the inspector's view of what had happened the dog would have made a fuss.

Since some of the clues may have been just a bit cryptic, I'll run through those with explanations where it seems appropriate.

The Navy chose the Lockheed P2V Neptune for the long-range patrol role for which the Mercator had been designed.

Minelaying at first, but after a short time it was used for electronic reconnaissance.

3. Four engines.

Two piston engines and two jets.

What this clue was meant to do is to point out that a twin-engine model would be a good model of an airplane with four engines. This would suggest airplanes like the Mercator with mixed propulsion, or with two engines driving one propeller like the Ju 288, or something with both pusher and tractor engines. To be sure, you could make a twin-engine model of an ordinary four-engine plane, but that wouldn't make the clue important, which was why I kept saying it was.

While lots of aeronautical charts use the Mercator projection, it seems likely that the name was picked to keep Martin's string of airplanes with the M_M pattern intact.

Sound of both piston engines and jets, but no jet-exhaust smell. It would have been easy not to notice the jet engines at first, because they were in the same nacelles as the piston engines.

That was a Ryan Fireball, perhaps the best known mixed propulsion airplane other than the B-36.

15. It has something in common with all of these airplanes, and two things in common with two of them (not the same two things): Blackburn Blackburn, Hawker Hurricane, Lockheed Lightning, Martin Mars, Short Sperrin, Supermarine Spitfire.

Alliterative name with all of them, same manufacturer as the Mars, two engines in one nacelle like the Sperrin.

You're up, Sparky. One other participant got the answer some time ago. You can surely guess who.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 12-13-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ahem.... (blushing modestly). The below may prove to be informative. It also confirms all engines ran on Avgas, to eliminate the use of separate fuel tanks. Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Martin P4M Mercator The Martin P4M Mercator was a maritime reconnaissance aircraft built by the Glenn L. Martin Company. The Mercator was an unsuccessful contender for a United States Navy requirement for a long-range maritime patrol bomber, with the Lockheed P2V Neptune chosen instead. It saw a limited life as a long-range electronic reconnaissance aircraft. Its most unusual feature was that it was powered by a combination of piston engines and turbojets, the latter being in the rear of the engine nacelles.

Design and development

Work began on the Model 219 in 1944, as a replacement for the PB4Y Privateer long-range patrol bomber, optimised for long range minelaying missions, with the first flight being on 20 October 1946. A large and complicated aircraft, it was powered by two Pratt & WhitneyR4360 Wasp Major 28-cylinder radial engines. To give a boost during takeoff and combat, two Allison J33 turbojets were fitted in the rear of the two enlarged engine nacelles, the intakes being beneath and behind the radial engines. The jets, like those on most other piston/jet hybrids, burned gasoline instead of jet fuel which eliminated the need for separate fuel tanks. A tricycle undercarriage was fitted, with the nosewheel retracting forwards. The single-wheel main legs retracted into coverless fairings in the wings, so that the sides of the wheels could be seen even when retracted. The wings themselves, unusually, had a different airfoil cross-section on the inner wings than the outer. Heavy defensive armament was fitted, with two 20 mm (.79 in) cannon in an Emerson nose turret and a Martin tail turret, and two 0.5 in (12.7 mm) machine guns in a Martin dorsal turret. The bomb bay was, like British practice, long and shallow rather than the short and deep bay popular in American bombers. This gave greater flexibility in payload, including long torpedoes, bombs, mines, depth charges or extended-range fuel tanks.

Operational history

The US Navy chose the smaller, simpler, cheaper and better performing P2V Neptune for the maritime patrol requirement, but nineteen aircraft were ordered in 1947 for high-speed minelaying purposes. The P4M entered service with Patrol Squadron 21 (VP-21) in 1950, the squadron deploying to NAS Port Lyautey in French Morocco. It remained in use with VP-21 until February 1953. From 1951, the 18 surviving production P4Ms were modified for the electronic reconnaissance (or SIGINT, for signals intelligence) mission as the P4M-1Q, to replace the PB4Y-2 Privateer. The crew was increased to 14 and later 16 to operate all the surveillance gear, and the aircraft was fitted with a large number of different antennas. Starting in October 1951, electronic surveillance missions were flown from U.S. Naval Station Sangley Point in the Philippines (and, later from the Naval Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, and later Naval Air Station Atsugi, Japan, by a secretive unit that eventually gained the designation Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron One (VQ-1). Long missions were flown along the coast (about 30 NM offshore) of Vietnam, China, North Korea and the eastern Soviet Union, and were of a highly secret nature; the aircraft sometimes masqueraded as regular P2V Neptunes in radio communications, and often flew with false serial numbers (Bureau Numbers) painted under the tail. Operational missions were always flown at night, during the dark with the moon when possible, and with no external running lights. One Mercator was shot down near Shanghai by Chinese fighters on 22 August 1956, with its crew of 16 all killed. Another P4M-1Q was attacked by two North Korean MiG-17s on 16 June 1959 with heavy damage and serious injury to the tail gunner. The aircraft were also operated out of Morocco by VQ-2, where one aircraft was intercepted near Ukrainian airspace by Soviet MiGs. It was shot down by the MiGs and crashed into Mediterranean Sea with the loss of all crew. Another, on 6 February 1952, ditched north of Cyprus at night, out of fuel, with no power, losing only the Aircraft Commander/pilot after they were in the water (See United States Naval Institute, Naval History, March/April 1997). The crew was rescued by HMS Chevron. One P4M-1Q of JQ-3 crashed at Ocean View, Virginia, on 6 January 1958, when it lost an engine on approach to NAS Norfolk, Virginia, killing four crew and injuring three civilians. The Mercators were replaced by the EA-3B Skywarrior, which, being carrier-based, had a greater degree of flexibility and the larger Lockheed WV-2Q Warning Star. Final withdrawal from service was in 1960 after which all of the remaining P4Ms were scrapped.

Specifications (P4M Mercator)

Martin P4M-1 Mercator

General characteristics

· Crew: nine· · Length: 85 ft 2 in (26.0 m)· · Wingspan: 114 ft 0 in (34.7 m)· · Height: 26 ft 1 in (8.0 m)· · Wing area: 1,311 ft² (122 m²)· · Empty weight: 48,536 lb (22,016 kg)· · Loaded weight: 88,378 lb (40,088 kg)· · Max. takeoff weight: lb (kg)· · Powerplant: · 2 × Allison J33-A-23 turbojets, 4,600 lbf (20 kN) each· 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major radial engines, 3,250 hp (2,420 kW) each

Performance · Maximum speed: 410 mph (660 km/h)· · Range: 2,840 mi (4,570 km)· · Service ceiling: 34,600 ft (10,500 m)· · Rate of climb: ft/min (m/s)· Armament· 4 × 20 mm (.79 in) cannons in nose and tail turrets· · 2 × .50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns in dorsal turret· · Up to 12,000 lb (5,400 kg) of bombs, mines, depth charges, or torpedoes
Old 12-13-2018, 08:53 PM
elmshoot

Not to beat a dead horse but I know two gentleman who flew P2V Neptune with the compound power plants (recips and turbines) both burn AVgas. and here is his response.
reference quiz on the P4M clue #11

I have to say that’s one question I’ve never been asked before. You’re right, I don't recall. Probably with good reason. Although we frequently found ourselves on the ramp near taxing P2s, rarely would jets be on line. We would light the jets immediately before takeoff and then again before landing but other than that they were actually used very little except in emergencies.

This will add to corporate knowledge of useless trivia.
BTW I love the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning or AVgas or Napalm but NOT deicing fluid because that means the WX is crap and I had to sit in line and get deiced. and it usually is 4 AM and I am looking at a 8-11 Hour flight ahead.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:07 PM
elmshoot

So we are now onto another quiz. I will admit that with over 16K posts it is likely we are looking at a repeat so i asked my peeps to suggest a plane. They suggested several and they had all been done so this was from my buddy Herb, callsign Herbal.
I came to work one day in the early 90's and he and another plastic scale guy are arguing over the color of the inside of a cowl on a obscure British biplane. I grab my coffee cup and head off to the coffee mess for the morning shot of cafeen and when I get back they have the FS number color fan out and the argument is getting more heated, nuff said I have invited them to join the fun but so far no luck maybe some day they will jump in and put us all to shame these guys know airplanes and trivia......

1. This plane was a forerunner in many different ways, configuration, armament, as well as mission

Sparky
Old 12-14-2018, 02:57 AM
Hydro Junkie

EA-3 Skywarrior
Old 12-14-2018, 06:21 AM
elmshoot

I believe the "Whale" has already been used. This is one that hasn't been a quiz plane.

1. This plane was a forerunner in many different ways, configuration, armament, as well as mission
2. At least 5000 were ordered but less than a hundred were delivered because the war ended.
3. Two services in that country ordered the plane.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe the "Whale" has already been used. This is one that hasn't been a quiz plane.

2. At least 5000 were ordered but less than a hundred were delivered because the war ended.
3. Two services in that country ordered the plane.
Sparky; how about the Bluebird? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Vought VE-7 The Vought VE-7 "Bluebird" was an early biplane of the United States. First flying in 1917, it was designed as a two-seat trainer for the United States Army, then adopted by the United States Navy as its very first fighter aircraft. In 1922, a VE-7 became the first plane to take off from an American aircraft carrier.

Design and development

The Lewis & Vought Corporation was formed just months after the U.S. entered World War I, with the intention of servicing war needs. The company's trainer was patterned after successful European designs; for instance, the engine was a Wright Hispano Suiza of the type used by the French Spads. In practice, the VE-7's performance was much better than usual for a trainer, and comparable to the best fighters, and the Army ordered 1,000 of an improved design called the VE-8. However, the contract was cancelled due to the end of the war. However, the Navy was very interested in the VE-7, and received the first machine in May 1920. Production orders soon followed, in fact beyond what the fledgling Vought organization could handle, and the Naval Aircraft Factory was pressed into service. In all, 128 VE-7s were built. The fighter version of the VE-7 was designated VE-7S. It was a single-seater, the front cockpit being faired over and a .30 in (7.62 mm) Vickersmachine gun mounted over it on the left side and synchronized to fire through the propeller. Some planes, designated VE-7SF, had flotation gear consisting of inflatable bags stowed away, available to help keep the plane afloat when ditching at sea. The Bluebird won the 1918 Army competition for advanced training machines. The VE-8 variant completed in July 1919 had a 340hp Wright-Hispano H engine, reduced overall dimensions, increased wing area, a shorter faired cabane, and two Vickers guns. Two were completed. Flight test results were disappointing, the aircraft was overweight, with heavy controls, inadequate stability and sluggish performance.

The VE-9 variant, first delivered to the Navy on 24 June 1922, was essentially an improved VE-7, with most of the improvements in the fuel system area. Four of the 21 ordered by the U.S. Navy were unarmed observation float seaplanes for battleship catapult use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.