Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:38 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Nope, Not the Blue bird

1. This plane was a forerunner in many different ways, configuration, armament, as well as mission
2. At least 5000 were ordered but less than a hundred were delivered because the war ended.
3. Two services in that country ordered the plane.
4. Originally thought to be employed as a fighter but quickly outpaced by other planes and used as a scout/observation plane.
5. One was modified as a racer for the 1920 Pulitzer air race, it didn't finish the race due to mechanical reasons.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Nope, Not the Blue bird

1. This plane was a forerunner in many different ways, configuration, armament, as well as mission
2. At least 5000 were ordered but less than a hundred were delivered because the war ended.
3. Two services in that country ordered the plane.
4. Originally thought to be employed as a fighter but quickly outpaced by other planes and used as a scout/observation plane.
5. One was modified as a racer for the 1920 Pulitzer air race, it didn't finish the race due to mechanical reasons.
Well then; you must be talking about the Loening M-8. Or, to be specific, the Loening M-8-0. Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: Loening M-8

The Loening M-8 was a 1910s American fighter monoplane designed by Grover Loening and built by his Loening Aeronautical Engineering Company. An order of 5000 for the United States Army Air Corps was canceled when the First World War ended.
Development

The first design by Grover Loening after he had formed his company was a two-seat braced-wing monoplane fighter the M-8. It had a fixed tail-skid landing gear and was powered by a nose-mounted Hispano-Suiza engine with a tractor propeller. The pilot and gunner had tandem open cockpits. The first aircraft was flown in 1918 and after testing, the United States Army Air Corps ordered 5000 aircraft to be built. Only two aircraft were delivered to the Army and one to the United States Navy, with the designation M-8-0. At the end of the war the order was canceled. The Navy ordered 46 aircraft in two variants for use as observation aircraft. The Navy also ordered six M-8-S twin-float seaplane versions. A single-seat version was developed for the Army as the Loening PW-2.
Variants

M-8Production variant for the United States Army Air Corps, two prototypes, 5000 cancelled.

M-8-0One M-8 for evaluation by the United States Navy (A5631) and ten production aircraft (A5637-A5646).

M-8-1Second production variant for the United States Navy, 36 built by the Naval Aircraft Factory (A5701-A571O; A5761-A5786).

M-8-1SSeaplane variant for the United States Navy, six built (A5788-A5793).

LS(LS - Loening Seaplane) Three seaplane variants ordered to test the Richardson pontoon split central float. One aircraft built, (A5606), and two cancelled.

The Navy's M-8s were ordered as fighters, but they were used as observation aircraft. One was modified for use as a racer, and was entered into the 1920 Pulitzer race but was forced to withdraw by a water leak in the cooling system.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Ernie P.

Sparky; you still with us? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:59 PM
elmshoot

Yep still here, and I thought i posted that you are correct and are the winner my apologizes for not double checking tat my post went through.
Sparky
Old 12-17-2018, 01:11 AM
Ernie P.

Yep still here, and I thought i posted that you are correct and are the winner my apologizes for not double checking tat my post went through.
Sparky
No problem, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

Since we've had several aircraft questions, let's move to the men who flew them.

What warbird pilot do I describe?

1. This pilot spent much of his career under a political cloud.

2. A cloud that very nearly got him court martialed and might easily, as it was during war time, have cost him his life.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:59 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

2. A cloud that very nearly got him court martialed and might easily, as it was during war time, have cost him his life.

3. He was openly critical of the wartime tactics and methods being used by his service.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Billy Mitchell
Old 12-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Billy Mitchell
Well, I think that's probably the name that springs to mind for most of us, but that isn't where we're headed this time, buddy. But here's a bonus to help you alter course. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. He was openly critical of the wartime tactics and methods being used by his service.

4. Only the fact that his personal (high) victory score showed him to be right, saved him.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:12 PM
elmshoot

Galland
Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Ernie P.

Galland
And that would be the other name that comes readily to mind. There's one more incorrect guess that should come to mind fairly quickly, maybe two, before we get to our subject. But here's a bonus clue, and the scheduled evening clue, to help everyone out. Thanks; Ernie P.

4. Only the fact that his personal (high) victory score showed him to be right, saved him.

5. Eventually sympathetic, and high ranking, superiors came to his rescue; and he was instead promoted and awarded.

6. He spent much of his time teaching other pilots a set of tactics he had devised, on his own, to use against enemy aircraft.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

Claire Chenault
Old 12-17-2018, 05:50 PM
elmshoot

The OODA loop is the cycle observe–orient–decide–act, developed by military strategist and United States Air Force Colonel John Boyd. Boyd applied the concept to the combat operations process, often at the operational level during military campaigns.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Ernie P.

The OODA loop is the cycle observe–orient–decide–act, developed by military strategist and United States Air Force Colonel John Boyd. Boyd applied the concept to the combat operations process, often at the operational level during military campaigns.
Neither Chenault (by Hydro Junkie) or Boyd (by Sparky); Boyd being the other answer I expected. But I'll award you both bonus clues to reward your astute attempts. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. Eventually sympathetic, and high ranking, superiors came to his rescue; and he was instead promoted and awarded.

6. He spent much of his time teaching other pilots a set of tactics he had devised, on his own, to use against enemy aircraft.

7. In time, he became his country’s leading tactical expert.

8. He was the son of a former farmer and factory worker; and he grew up in a rough section of town.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:08 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

8. He was the son of a former farmer and factory worker; and he grew up in a rough section of town.

9. Unlike most of his fellows, he was more interested in education than roughnecking and petty crime.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:45 AM
CF105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clue #6 sounds like Jimmy Thatch...
Old 12-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by CF105
Clue #6 sounds like Jimmy Thatch...
Standing alone, clue #6 does indeed sound like Thatch; but I don't believe he was ever at risk because of his advocacy. But you do earn a bonus clue, Sir; and it's also time for an afternoon clue, so... Thanks; Ernie P.

9. Unlike most of his fellows, he was more interested in education than roughnecking and petty crime.

10. He was given the nickname “engineer”.

11. He became interested in aviation after witnessing a local air show.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sounds a little like Greg "Pappy" Boyington as well. He did have an engineering degree from the University of Washington when he joined the Flying Tigers and the Marines
Old 12-18-2018, 03:08 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Sounds a little like Greg "Pappy" Boyington as well. He did have an engineering degree from the University of Washington when he joined the Flying Tigers and the Marines
Sir; I figured someone might mention Pappy as meeting the clues, but I'm not sure I agree. I know Pappy was a hard drinker and an unorthodox character, but I'm not sure he ever got into trouble with his superiors (other than perhaps Chenault) over tactics. I think their differences were more of personality than professional disagreements. Still, I'll award you a bonus clue to add to the regularly scheduled evening clue. Keep trying; you'll figure this one out. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. After a stint as a construction worker, he entered a technical college; and graduated well ahead of schedule.

13. He then spent several years as a steel worker, before entering the Army and being sent to aviation school.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:49 AM
Ernie P.

12. After a stint as a construction worker, he entered a technical college; and graduated well ahead of schedule.

13. He then spent several years as a steel worker, before entering the Army and being sent to aviation school.

14. Unfortunately, he was caught up in a temporary closure of the aviation school and was instead made an aviation mechanic.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:03 AM
elmshoot

Sounds like a German story line with the secret flight training going on in Russia in the 30's.
How about Fouch father of night fighters. but some of the clues dont quite line up.
Sparky
Old 12-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Ernie P.

Sounds like a German story line with the secret flight training going on in Russia in the 30's.
How about Fouch father of night fighters. but some of the clues dont quite line up.
Sparky
Sparky; that's a name I don't recognize. Perhaps you can tell us more about him? But no; not anyone named Fouch. Here's a bonus clue and an early afternoon clue. to reward your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

14. Unfortunately, he was caught up in a temporary closure of the aviation school and was instead made an aviation mechanic.

15. He set out to be the best mechanic he could be; and was soon promoted into a senior position.

16. He engineered improvements in both aircraft and armament.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Ernie P.

An afternoon, and an evening, clue. I may be busy later, and don't want to short you on clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

15. He set out to be the best mechanic he could be; and was soon promoted into a senior position.

17. He kept trying to become a pilot, but without success initially. He finally went on vacation a few years before war was declared, and graduated from a civilian pilot school.

18. And he did it in only seventeen days.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:36 AM
Ernie P.

17. He kept trying to become a pilot, but without success initially. He finally went on vacation a few years before war was declared, and graduated from a civilian pilot school.

19. This made him automatically eligible for military flight training and he immediately took advantage of the opportunity.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

19. This made him automatically eligible for military flight training and he immediately took advantage of the opportunity.

20. He graduated at the top of his military class, became an officer and was assigned to a fighter group.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

20. He graduated at the top of his military class, became an officer and was assigned to a fighter group.

21. His unit was bombed on the first day of the war.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.