Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM P47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:20 PM
knockoffs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM P47 Build

Very cool, Thank you for the input. i will post the engine breakin next chance i get. Then hopefully next week i should be ready for 1st flight.
My warbird funfly is coming up, and i must get a few more birds ready to go as well. Have a great 2010 flying season, Keep them in the air !!!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
pope61

Hey Guys I have installed the Esm Retracts on an Esm P-47 and was
wondering if there is an adjustment screw to take out the sideways movement
of the landing gear when in the down position, I cant seem to find one.
Thanks
Wes
Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 PM
oldtimer4759

hi,
I have just picked one of these kits up, it was a package deal, a Silver P-47, with the ESM retracts, plus a DLe 30 rear carb, so far it looks good, well packed, it is big.

a few QUESTIONS, by things I have read, the C of G might be wrong on the "instructions" also what throws are you using on this model, aileron and elevator, not so much as to what you have them set to, but how much do you actually use, I have several other war birds and I only use very small elevator throws, too much and they will go into a snap.

re the wobbly ESM retracts, there is some info on this page, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8821770
some of them are adjustable,

cheers, Oldtimer
Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 AM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: oldtimer4759

hi,
I have just picked one of these kits up, it was a package deal, a Silver P-47, with the ESM retracts, plus a DLe 30 rear carb, so far it looks good, well packed, it is big.

a few QUESTIONS, by things I have read, the C of G might be wrong on the ''instructions'' also what throws are you using on this model, aileron and elevator, not so much as to what you have them set to, but how much do you actually use, I have several other war birds and I only use very small elevator throws, too much and they will go into a snap.

re the wobbly ESM retracts, there is some info on this page, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8821770
some of them are adjustable,

cheers, Oldtimer
Hi

I'm a little forward of the recommended COG. I have 8 ounces in the nose with a 26cc Aerovate. My throws are factory recommended. I fly mostly low rates with ailerons on high rates occasionally for faster rolls since it's a little slow with that engine. You'll do better with the 30cc. There is a lot of elevator on this thing. I also used two servos on the elevator rather than a yoke.

Also had to reinforce the firewall. Recommend you beef that up as well as the retract mounting areas. The quality of glue and wood is not the greatest. The plywood tends to delaminate.

Biggest problem I've had is ground handling. A lot of slop in the ESM retracts. Finally replaced them with Sierras and things got a lot better.

Regards
Michael
Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 PM
curtusua-RCU
My Feedback: (91)

Hey guys... I'm just about to get my ESM P-47 underway and would like to ask where everyone has their CG located? Is anyone using the manual's recommendation?

Mine will be an electric conversion and will also have the ESM retracts which have been converted to electric from Down and Locked.

Thanks in advance...

Curt

Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
oldtimer4759

Hi Curt,
this is a better kit than the early ones from what I have been able to find out, as to C of G, start off forward a bit, then it can be changed to suit your style of flying, tail heavy can be fatal.

Have a look at the KMP FW 190 build thread, there is some great info on there,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64..._1/key_/tm.htm

cheers, Oldtimer.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 AM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: curtusua-RCU

Hey guys... I'm just about to get my ESM P-47 underway and would like to ask where everyone has their CG located? Is anyone using the manual's recommendation?

Mine will be an electric conversion and will also have the ESM retracts which have been converted to electric from Down and Locked.

Thanks in advance...

Curt

Hi Curt

I have 94 flights on mine, it flies great with an Evolution 26, 18X8 2B Mejzlik, and the CG located by balancing the model by holding it with fingertips at the wingtips. This makes it slightly nose-heavy, and very stable in flight. For landings, be ready with a little elevator when throttling back, and you will have silky landings (with Sierra retracts).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPGGJZ9QFM

You should be aware of the fact (as I am sure you will discover) that many of the numbers in the ESM building instruction are just plain wrong.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 AM
mmn

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot

Hi Curt

I have 94 flights on mine, it flies great with an Evolution 26, 18X8 2B Mejzlik, and the CG located by balancing the model by holding it with fingertips at the wingtips. This makes it slightly nose-heavy, and very stable in flight. For landings, be ready with a little elevator when throttling back, and you will have silky landings (with Sierra retracts[img][/img]).

You should be aware of the fact (as I am sure you will discover) that many of the numbers in the ESM building instruction are just plain wrong.
Nice vid and nice flight. Makes me wanna try that prop. I've been using a 17x10 APC.

Regards
Michael
Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM
mmn

Hi Curt

I have 94 flights on mine, it flies great with an Evolution 26, 18X8 2B Mejzlik, and the CG located by balancing the model by holding it with fingertips at the wingtips. This makes it slightly nose-heavy, and very stable in flight. For landings, be ready with a little elevator when throttling back, and you will have silky landings (with Sierra retracts[img][/img]).

Can you tell me how much yours weighs?

Regards
Michael
Old 09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: mmn

Can you tell me how much yours weighs?

Regards
Michael
It weighs 6057 grams with an empty tank, distributed thus (standing on the ground): 2577 grams on the right main wheel, 2580 grams onthe left main wheel, and900 grams on the tailwheel. So it side-balances pretty well.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM
mmn

It weighs 6057 grams with an empty tank, distributed thus (standing on the ground): 2577 grams on the right main wheel, 2580 grams on the left main wheel, and 900 grams on the tailwheel. So it side-balances pretty well.
Wow! Mine's about 7945. Engine weight is similar (Aerovate 26). I have two elevator servos, and about 8 oz of lead in the nose, but that's about all that's different from the plan.

Wonder where all the extra weight is?

Regards
Michael
Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
P47Pilot

Wow! Mine's about 7945. Engine weight is similar (Aerovate 26). I have two elevator servos, and about 8 oz of lead in the nose, but that's about all that's different from the plan.

Wonder where all the extra weight is?

Regards
Michael
That was some difference! I quoted the numbers from my building log, anddo not have the weight Iused to weigh the model with available now. 1.9 kg difference, 8 oz is nothing compared to that.....I will recheck the weight tomorrow and let you know what transpires (if the weights on the main wheels were3577 and 3580 grams,this would put i in the same ballpark as your weight). Did you weigh it standing on the ground and resting the wheels one after the other on the weight (this is how I did it). If so, what where the numbers on the different wheels?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 PM
mmn

That was some difference! I quoted the numbers from my building log, and do not have the weight I used to weigh the model with available now. 1.9 kg difference, 8 oz is nothing compared to that.....I will recheck the weight tomorrow and let you know what transpires (if the weights on the main wheels were 3577 and 3580 grams, this would put i in the same ballpark as your weight). Did you weigh it standing on the ground and resting the wheels one after the other on the weight (this is how I did it). If so, what where the numbers on the different wheels?
I weighed it right after I built it. I weighed the fuse with the nose down and then I weighed the wing on one tip on some scales on the floor and then added the two. Don't remember what the individual weights were but I could weigh it again.

I've prolly got around 30 or so flights on the thing. Was wondering why yours is so fast.

Michael
Old 09-29-2010, 01:15 PM
P47Pilot

I weighed it right after I built it. I weighed the fuse with the nose down and then I weighed the wing on one tip on some scales on the floor and then added the two. Don't remember what the individual weights were but I could weigh it again.

I've prolly got around 30 or so flights on the thing. Was wondering why yours is so fast.

Michael
I have redone the weighing. The numbers came out slightly differently this time, but this is due to the fact that after completion, I installed Sierra retracts instead of the ESM ones,which were in the first time I weighed it.Sierrasweigh a bit more than the ESMs.I addition, I have put ina larger NiMH receiver battery, pretty heavy, while I had a LiPo the first time around.

The numbers are now: Right wheel:2905 grams
Left wheel: 3015 grams
Tail wheel: 818 grams
Total: 6721 grams

Still, this is way lower than yours. I really do not understand whereanother 1.2 kg could come from. Just to make absolutely sure, we ARE talking about the same plane?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48977.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1508492  
Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
mmn

I think the difference might be the weighing technique. It is the same plane, but if you are weighing each wheel with the other two on the ground then the other two are taking some of the weight. Or are you using three scales?

I can't really weigh mine that way now as I'm repairing/rebuilding one of the landing gear mounts. Any way you could weigh it just nose down on the scale?

Regards
Michael
Old 09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
P47Pilot

I think the difference might be the weighing technique. It is the same plane, but if you are weighing each wheel with the other two on the ground then the other two are taking some of the weight. Or are you using three scales?

I can't really weigh mine that way now as I'm repairing/rebuilding one of the landing gear mounts. Any way you could weigh it just nose down on the scale?

Regards
Michael

Willdo and get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers
P47 Pilot
Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 AM
P47Pilot

Regards
Michael
I redid the weighing now, numbers came out slightly differently, but not much, using a different scale for the weighing.I justput the wings and fuselage on an accurate bathroom weight, like you described. The numberscameout as follows:

Fuselage: 4.4 kg
Wings:2.5 kg
Total:6.9 kg

Still considerably lighter than yours.

Here is a video of some fun at the field yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oGtLpHehSg

Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 PM
mmn

I redid the weighing now, numbers came out slightly differently, but not much, using a different scale for the weighing. I just put the wings and fuselage on an accurate bathroom weight, like you described. The numbers came out as follows:

Fuselage: 4.4 kg
Wings: 2.5 kg
Total: 6.9 kg

Still considerably lighter than yours.

Here is a video of some fun at the field yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oGtLpHehSg

Well, I weighed mine again also and got:

Wing: 5 lbs 6 oz (2.4 kg)
Fuse: 10 lbs (4.5 kg)

Total: 15 lbs 6 oz (6.9 kg)

Don't know why that's so different than what I got initially, but at least we agree.

I think the speed difference is due to two things:

1) That Evo 26cc is more powerful (a lot) than the Aerovate 26cc

2) 17x10 prop on mine vs 18 x8 on yours

Nice vid! I think you should slow it down and see how hard it is to fly... (just kidding)

Regards
Michael

Old 10-01-2010, 10:06 PM
oldtimer4759

hi all,
here are a couple of pictures of my Air Set up, it is all on the wing, no quick release cons, 2 less things to go wrong, it is the standard ESM retract system, Air up, Air Down, the tank is glued in with Natural Cure Silastic, I didnt use the supplied wheel wells, the wheels wouldnt go up properly, (for me) I found the wheels are very loose on the axles, still to fix that problem. I have a DLE 30 to go in as yet, obviously still a lot of tidy up and finish off to go.
cheers, Oldtimer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15500.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1509671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15184.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1509672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59088.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1509673  
Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 AM
P47Pilot

Well, I weighed mine again also and got:

Wing: 5 lbs 6 oz (2.4 kg)
Fuse: 10 lbs (4.5 kg)

Total: 15 lbs 6 oz (6.9 kg)

Don't know why that's so different than what I got initially, but at least we agree.

I think the speed difference is due to two things:

1) That Evo 26cc is more powerful (a lot) than the Aerovate 26cc

2) 17x10 prop on mine vs 18 x8 on yours

Nice vid! I think you should slow it down and see how hard it is to fly... (just kidding)

Regards
Michael

I think you're right. The extra diameter on the propeller might do some good. Evo26 is a greatengine, but of course the numbers that are quoted in the manualare undoubtedly for an optimal setup with a tuned pipe, while I am using en Evolution inverted wrap-around muffler. Still, it does great, and has beensteadily improving in performance with increasing number of running hours.

Speed : these videos are shot with a wide angle cellphone camera. This gives an impression of speed which is somewhat exxagerated, it really does not fly as fast as it might seem. But as with all P-47, it is gentel on landings and slow flying.

This ESM P-47just a great plane, and good value for the money!!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:59 AM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: oldtimer4759

hi all,
here are a couple of pictures of my Air Set up, it is all on the wing, no quick release cons, 2 less things to go wrong, it is the standard ESM retract system, Air up, Air Down, the tank is glued in with Natural Cure Silastic, I didnt use the supplied wheel wells, the wheels wouldnt go up properly, (for me) I found the wheels are very loose on the axles, still to fix that problem. I have a DLE 30 to go in as yet, obviously still a lot of tidy up and finish off to go.
cheers, Oldtimer.
I would be very interested in hearing how the DLE30 performs in this plane. Do you have some pictures of the set-up? I have a DLE55 myself in a CARF Yak55 2.1m and am very
happy with it.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 PM
mmn

I would be very interested in hearing how the DLE30 performs in this plane. Do you have some pictures of the set-up? I have a DLE55 myself in a CARF Yak55 2.1m and am very
happy with it.
I fly with a friend who has a DLE30 in his ESM FW190. Very similar plane but a little heavier. His is much faster than mine and a lot of pull. He was running an 18x8 XOAR and is now with an 18x10. Very good performance.

Regards
Michael
Old 10-02-2010, 01:01 PM
mmn

I think you're right. The extra diameter on the propeller might do some good. Evo26 is a great engine, but of course the numbers that are quoted in the manual are undoubtedly for an optimal setup with a tuned pipe, while I am using en Evolution inverted wrap-around muffler. Still, it does great, and has been steadily improving in performance with increasing number of running hours.

Speed [img][/img]: these videos are shot with a wide angle cellphone camera. This gives an impression of speed which is somewhat exxagerated, it really does not fly as fast as it might seem. But as with all P-47, it is gentel on landings and slow flying.

This ESM P-47 just a great plane, and good value for the money!!
I'm wondering if the small Keleo Pitts muffler I have on there might be stealing a little power.

Regards
Michael
Old 10-02-2010, 01:24 PM
P47Pilot

I'm wondering if the small Keleo Pitts muffler I have on there might be stealing a little power.

Regards
Michael

This could well be an issue.

Any chance you could post a video of your ESM P47in action at the flying field?It would be interesting to see how it performs with the Aerovate26.

Cheers
P47Pilot
Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 PM
P47Pilot

I fly with a friend who has a DLE30 in his ESM FW190. Very similar plane but a little heavier. His is much faster than mine and a lot of pull. He was running an 18x8 XOAR and is now with an 18x10. Very good performance.

Regards
Michael
Thanks for the info.Fits with my impression, these are great value for the money engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.