Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM P47 Build

Old 10-02-2010, 04:01 PM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM P47 Build

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot

This could well be an issue.

Any chance you could post a video of your ESM P47 in action at the flying field? It would be interesting to see how it performs with the Aerovate26.

Cheers
P47Pilot
I'll give it a go as soon as I'm done repairing a landing gear mount. Just have to glue it up.

Regards
Michael
Old 10-02-2010, 05:23 PM
dws

ORIGINAL: mmn

I think you're right. The extra diameter on the propeller might do some good. Evo26 is a great engine, but of course the numbers that are quoted in the manual are undoubtedly for an optimal setup with a tuned pipe, while I am using en Evolution inverted wrap-around muffler. Still, it does great, and has been steadily improving in performance with increasing number of running hours.

Speed [img][/img]: these videos are shot with a wide angle cellphone camera. This gives an impression of speed which is somewhat exxagerated, it really does not fly as fast as it might seem. But as with all P-47, it is gentel on landings and slow flying.

This ESM P-47 just a great plane, and good value for the money!!
I'm wondering if the small Keleo Pitts muffler I have on there might be stealing a little power.

Regards
Michael
hey Michael i think that may just be whats happening with some of your speed that little pitts may be causing some rpm loss , cya monday on mp
dws
Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM
mmn

This could well be an issue.

Any chance you could post a video of your ESM P47 in action at the flying field? It would be interesting to see how it performs with the Aerovate26.

Cheers
P47Pilot
And here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzCZYEBq6ZY

Regards
Michael
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
oldtimer4759

hi,
nice field, no problems getting it off the ground, good flight. how did you attach your cowl and are you happy with it.

happy flying, Oldtimer.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 AM
P47Pilot

And here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzCZYEBq6ZY

Regards
Michael
Nice flying!

I wish we had this kind of weather up here in the high north now....

Cheers
Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 AM
mmn

ORIGINAL: oldtimer4759

hi,
nice field, no problems getting it off the ground, good flight. how did you attach your cowl and are you happy with it.

happy flying, Oldtimer.
The Du-Bro EZ Mount Cowl System for .90 and Above Size Aircraft. Used four of them. Not pretty, but I knew I'd be taking the cowl off a lot at first and I wanted something easy. Works fine.

http://www.dubro.com/hobby/ecatalog/dubro/00031.htm

Regards
Michael
Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 AM
mmn

Nice flying!

Cheers
Yes, I lived in Denmark for a few years and I can only guess that it doesn't get any better the further north you go.

I think the Aerovate pulls it ok now that it's broken in and loosened up, but it was quite scary at first. I think if I had it to do again I'd put a DLE 30 or something similar in there, based on what some of my friends have experienced with similar sized ESM warbirds.

Hilsen regards
Michael
Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 AM
P47Pilot

Nice flying!

Cheers
Yes, I lived in Denmark for a few years and I can only guess that it doesn't get any better the further north you go.

I think the Aerovate pulls it ok now that it's broken in and loosened up, but it was quite scary at first. I think if I had it to do again I'd put a DLE 30 or something similar in there, based on what some of my friends have experienced with similar sized ESM warbirds.

Hilsen regards
Michael

That would be a correct guess

I am absolutely with you on the conclusion about engines. A DLE30 would be great. for this plane

I myself had the feeling that the plane was underpowered with the Evo26 when I used a Mejzlik 16X9 3B propeller. It lumbered around in the sky ready to fall down any minute. The 2B Mejzlik 18X8 worked much better. Getting some time on the engine also helps.

You showed some smooth flying there, so I was hoping to see a video of a smooth landing as well! I just love those!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 AM
mmn

That would be a correct guess[img][/img]

I am absolutely with you on the conclusion about engines. A DLE30 would be great. for this plane

I myself had the feeling that the plane was underpowered with the Evo26 when I used a Mejzlik 16X9 3B propeller. It lumbered around in the sky ready to fall down any minute. The 2B Mejzlik 18X8 worked much better. Getting some time on the engine also helps.

You showed some smooth flying there, so I was hoping to see a video of a smooth landing as well! I just love those!
Yes, well, there's a reason for everything. It wasn't smooth and he thought the camera was on, but it wasn't...

Regards
Michael
Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 AM
P47Pilot

Nonetheless, all is well with the Jug, I hope?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
mmn

Nonetheless, all is well with the Jug, I hope?

More or less. Gotta repair the other landing gear mount now. Didn't quite make it to the short grass.

Regards
Michael
Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
oldtimer4759

Hi all,
Did the maiden on mine today, then her sister, both flights went very well, set up is DLE 30, ESM retracts, prop is JXF 19 x 8, new engine, I ran about 1/2 a litre of fuel through it, the idle is good, 1700 top rpm is a bit over 7k. weight is a bit over 14 lbs, no lead, all batteries up behind the firewall, 2x2000mah 5 cell packs and 1x2000mah 4 cell for the engine. I used the supplied fuel tank, but I moved it back a bit on the tray.

heaps of power, heaps of speed, this is a very nice model to fly, went up high and did a stall test, no sign of wing drop, even with full flap and wheels down, even nice and easy to land, just keep a bit of power on, first landing was with half flap, second with full flap,

the book states about 135mm for C of G, mine turned out at about 130, the 25% rule would be about 105mm, anyone interested in a test flight on this model, DONT go any further than 130, in fact mine is marginal at that, ( very little down elev required when inverted, tends to keep flying level at the top of a loop ) they like a bit of Aileron travel, I flew on low rate Elevator, (about half an inch travel ) I like to use full sticks.

a very nice model, Cheers, Oldtimer
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered my esm p47 & retracts last week and my dle30 just arived today!

I am curious, what spinner are you guys using? I'm guessing Tru-turn 1.5" by 2"? a or b style (lip or no lip...) Is 1.5" diameter wide enough?

I'll probably go with a carbon fiber mejzlik 18-10 but I don't know what hub and diameter of hub would look best. I don't know the the diameter across the width of the center of the prop either.

Does any one know the diameter across the hub of the carbon fiber mejzlik 18-10?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM
oldtimer4759

Hi, as I said earlier, this is a very nice model to fly, with the DLE 30 it has real rock solid presence in the air, a friend made me a spinner, it is the right shape, it is recessed and just covers the 4 bolts that hold the prop in place, looks good and adds just a bit of weight. Dont take any notice of the book C of G, go by the info in here, it needs a bit of Aileron, but not very much Elevator, it wouldnt hurt to give it a bit of Right thrust, the DLE 30 will fit inside the cowl, with the muffler on, the 18 x 10 prop will be fast, mine has heaps of speed with the 19 x 8
cheers, Oldtimer.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 PM
twn

What did you guys use to glue the landing gear plastic inserts in with, as well as the belly pan? It looks like the e6000 glue that esm suggests is not available in Canada. I tried to get it today with no luck.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 AM
twn

You know that doesn't make sence... Shoo Goo & SealALL are also made by the same company as e6000 (Eclectric Products) Both are available in Canada. Soo... Walmart, Superstore, Zellers all lied to me... (They said it wasn't available in Canada...DOH! [>:])

So I wonder who carries it in Canada.... I looked in as many stores in Vernon as I could get to today. No luck. []
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used good ol 30 min epoxy on the FW-190, Tom. Just be sure when cutting to leave more lip than they show. I had a much easier time with the second one just because I left about a 1/4" more lip from the scribe line. Looks better too. I traced the outline onto the wing and cut away the covering, leaving a bit of an overlap, to expose the balsa underneath. 120 grit the plastic insert, woodpecker the balsa and epoxied into place with lots of tape and weight to hold firmly in place forcing the edges down. I'm finished the wing and most of the guts....my 10S Eflite P-160 install is throwing me a bit of a curve ball though. The retracts work well on the bench and keep air pressure too. Surprising after hearing all the bad things about these.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:58 PM
oldtimer4759

hi, I didnt use the plastic wheel wells, I found they restricted the travel and the wheels didnt go up quite enough, stood out proud a bit, so I filled them in with balsa sheet, if you do go with the plastic inserts, cut them under hot water, then trim them with your "Dremel"
I used the ESM retracts, pulled every bolt or screw out and put them back with Silastic, squirt a bit of Silicon spray into the air lines every so often, mine will hold air for weeks, I also greased the struts, I mounted the air tank under the wing, that way all the air system is on the wing, no joiners.
This is a nice model to fly, go forward a bit on the CofG, be careful with your elevator throws.
have fun with it. Oldtimer
Old 06-19-2011, 02:48 AM
tometermas

Hi there.
I am new here. [8D]

I have just orderd the P 47 Thunderbolt from ESM. Its the silver version,that I like best.

Now, I got a brand new LASER 200 W and was thinking of installing it to the 47. Do you fellers think it will be a sort of overkill with that 30 cc engine ?

Tomas.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 AM
tom2bell

It is fine I fly my P-47 with a DLE 30cc gas. Its alot of fun. I started with a CRC 26cc which was fine but the 30cc is the ticket!
Tom
Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 AM
tometermas

That great Tom. Ill try to go with that.
I will make a photo series of my project when it comes to the engine set up.

Now, that P47 IS a nice bird. I allways loved it.

Tomas.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 AM
twn

ORIGINAL: Revy

I used good ol 30 min epoxy on the FW-190, Tombr/>
Thanks Jay, ya I used 30 min too. I cut away the covering "just" inside of the wheel wells and drilled 1/16 holes through out in the wood, thin ca the balsa and sanded the wheel wells with 50 grit. The bond will be stupid strong... My retracts fit great. I went with the robart vrx air kit.

LMAO I clamped the parts together with tape, waited 35 min to start the kik then pulled the clamps and cleaned with iso like a maniac. no visable epoxy anywhere.

I'm starting the dle30 setup now. slow goin with my stupid 12 hour shifts. lol work too dang much...
Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 AM
tometermas

Hey, Canada,How its going over there ? LOOONg time since I was there 1985, BC. Fort st. john.

Tomas.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
twn

What did you guys use for pushrods to the elevator? The instructions state that 6mm fiberglass rods are included in the kit but mine came with cheepo 1/4" wood dowel. Is the dowel adequate for the elevator?

Can any of you post some some pics that show your instalation through the fusalage? thanx
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: twn

What did you guys use for pushrods to the elevator? The instructions state that 6mm fiberglass rods are included in the kit but mine came with cheepo 1/4" wood dowel. Is the dowel adequate for the elevator?

Can any of you post some some pics that show your instalation through the fusalage? thanx

Hi twn

Here are a couple of pics that I managed to dig out of my old building log for this model back in early 2009, showing the pushrods for the elevators, as per instruction manual.

See also

http://scalewarbird.hopto.org/forum/...hp?topic=636.0

I hope things work out.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.