Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Storch from VQ

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Storch from VQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM Storch from VQ

i have flown the old svenson one, which is sim in size, on an old british magnum 4stroke, open valve engine, it flew it well, i would not imagine this one being any differant, its a slow, slow flyer, what is needed is an inverted V twin!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:38 PM
carlosemiliov
My Feedback: (1)

thnaks CK1 i will
Old 03-20-2010, 07:13 PM
JET FX

A strong 90 4 stroke is absolutely all thats needed for power in this bird anymore is really pointless in my opinion. I have been flying my Svenson Storch for over 20yrs (same size as KMP/ESM version) with a variety of engines and the best power combo tried was a Y.S. 91 AC 4-stroke swinging a 16x6 Dynathrust prop. Critical is a consistent and very reliable inverted running at lower RPM end also super smooth transition, its hard to go past a strong fuel pump equipped 4 stroke, maybe the pumped O.S. 91. The Saito 100 v twin also could be nice. Swinging a large diameter fine pitch prop makes flying the Storch a breeze and showcase the designs ability to hover, fly backward (into breeze) climb, descend at seriously steep angles. You will spend a lot of time at very low RPM with this model so top end power-wise for this model I would suggest no more than 20cc. Bottom line is the ability to swing a big and fine pitch prop is the go for this one....

Cheers- Marty
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G23 in mine for power... I think.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
mikepress

Marty,

Thanks for the information on your Storch. I think I may go with my Thunder Tiger 91 f-stroke. I am only looking to do scale flying. The 91s will swing up to a 16X6 2-blade or a 12x8 3 blade. I also plan to maybe add the scale cockpit and pilot when VQ has them available.

Do you think the thunder tiiger 91s will be enough for scale flying with the added weight of a cockpit and pilot? What size of prop would you recommend for either a 2-blade or 3-blade.

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2010, 03:17 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Gents,

GREAT PHOTOS.... I will be passing on all information CHEERS and "JEERS" to the factory...
I am back in the saddle so to speak...if you have emailed me you should have heard back from me or will by tonight.... Been working triple time since my return...
There is some room for improvement in the landing gear and this will be passed onto the factory for them to see... Per a few modelers there is an easy fix but I am a customer too and agree no one should have to fix a model that is new out of the box...

OVERALL for the $$$$$ and from impressions and emails from countless modelers I see most everyone is happy with it!!
CONGRATS TO EVERYONE ,,,, and I am certain everyone will love flying them....

SCALE COCKPITS coming in the near future.....

-TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please for the love of God, do NOT put a 3 bladed prop on the Storch. It had a two bladed, fixed pitch prop by Schwartz.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:23 PM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: mikepress

Marty,

Thanks for the information on your Storch. I think I may go with my Thunder Tiger 91 f-stroke. I am only looking to do scale flying. The 91s will swing up to a 16X6 2-blade or a 12x8 3 blade. I also plan to maybe add the scale cockpit and pilot when VQ has them available.

Do you think the thunder tiiger 91s will be enough for scale flying with the added weight of a cockpit and pilot? What size of prop would you recommend for either a 2-blade or 3-blade.

Thanks,
Mike, I also flew my Svenson with an old O.S. 91 FS and it was fine for power, I think the TT would be good also. The common engine concern I encountered most with the Storch was that they all did not like to be subjected to a prolonged inverted idle and tended to splutter a lot and transition was generally a cautious fingers crossed affair. I soon installed a Y.S. 91 AC and the problem with prolonged ideal and smooth transition concerns was totally eliminated. At the time (mid 80's) the Y.S. 91 AC was one of the first 4 strokes with incorporated fuel pump, injection etc. nowadays Iam sure the newer pumped O.S. 91 would be just as smooth running upside down. Bottom line I guess is if you can successfully set any engine for sustained and prolonged inverted idle and transition without hesitation your in business. On board glow might be a nice added insurance solution for some of the non pump equipped 4 stroke glow engines in this case...

Prop size for any engine in this bird I would recommend going for as large a diameter/fine pitch as practical. Thrust is preferred over speed for STOL ops

Cheers- Marty
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
skubacb

I am one of the people that received a Storch with the vertical stab broken off. Looking at another forum there were four other people there with a broken vertical stab. Troy Built Models kept delaying sending me a replacement until now they say they have no fuselages to send me. Yeah, that is right. While I wait for a fuse they sell everything they have so now they "can't" send anyone a fuse.

I will be sending everything back and they can pay for shipping both ways. Originally I told them I would keep it if they gave me a discount on a future order. Took two weeks until the owner offered me less than what they allow their sales people to offer. I.E. they didn't care that they shipped a broken fuse. BTW the reason the vertical stab was broken was because a big bag of nut and bolts was placed loose into the same area of the stab. So this time it was not UPS's fault. I would like to hear if that is true for the other people too.

TBM's final offer was even lower than the first. Live with the fuse and they will give me $80 store credit or return it because they are out of fuses. This after they jerked me around for a month. No, I don't think I will be accepting that. They didn't even offer the shipping out to me that they will have to eat ($99). Plus they will have to pay the return shipping. My first offer was accepted by their service rep but the owner then rejected it. So they can pay for it all because I do not want to fix the fuse now. If I order any more ESM models it will be from VQ Warbirds.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:01 PM
carlosemiliov
My Feedback: (1)

hello guys yesturday a flew my storch with a saito 125 and i crash it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hell what happened is that i cut the throttle too soon and too fast and the plane doe not take it so it felt like a rock ajaja but the damage was only on the rudder and in one strut
this plane is heavy gents