Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM T-28

Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: ESM T-28

Retracts are pretty expensive if they are good. Take a look at BVM retracts for his scale jets.. they will set you back about 1k. Are they worth it? I guess that depends on what one considers value.

Darrells work is as good as there is in this industry. I have his retracts in some of my other planes and wouldn't heisitate to recommend them to any one.

I know it seems odd that the retracts cost as much as the kit.. but often so does the engine. Retracts are as difficult and sometimes even more so to make than engines.. We just appreciate the engines more
Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 AM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gents!

I have decided to run a Moki 2.10 with Pitts Exhaust and a 19x11 3 blade prop. I figured at 18-20 lbs and 3500 feet elevation, the larger Moki would be the ticket.

Perry
Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That Moki will haul the plane around great.. It's a very good engine
Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM
builttocrash

ORIGINAL: BobH

Retracts are pretty expensive if they are good. Take a look at BVM retracts for his scale jets.. they will set you back about 1k. Are they worth it? I guess that depends on what one considers value.

Darrells work is as good as there is in this industry. I have his retracts in some of my other planes and wouldn't heisitate to recommend them to any one.

I know it seems odd that the retracts cost as much as the kit.. but often so does the engine. Retracts are as difficult and sometimes even more so to make than engines.. We just appreciate the engines more
I can understand what you are saying. I was looking at a radial engine for this plane and saw a $800+ price tag on it.Sheesh. But it is a beauty.

I'm really debating on making this thing gas or electric. Not glow. WhenI told my wife the $400 plus price tag on the retracts themselves, Ithought she was going to slap me! What can I sell, that won't get me arrested?LOL. Hmmmmm

BobH, since you have a set of his retracts for your other planes, could you email me some pics? I'll also head over to his website too. Sierra.com?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:15 AM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

More wheel ideas!

http://www.angelfire.com/rextami1/Wheels.html
Old 03-19-2010, 06:06 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

T-28 Owners,

ESM T-28 Retracts and Struts are well on there way.
Main Struts are almost complete.

We have the plane put together so we can check to make sure the plane is setting level on the gear.
I just have to figure out the best retract and steering method for the Nose Strut.
We should have a few sets ready to go by early next week.

We have not looked at what to use for wheels and tires yet.
The T-28 Used a few different designs.

If you have a preference, let me know. But it would be best to use
a ESM or Dubro Tire to keep the price down.

I'll post a few photo's this weekend.

Regards,
Darrell
www.sierragiant.com
Old 03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTC,
I would do a search on RCU. There are many who have gone the route of the ESM gear. they end up having to buy sets of gear for the same plane. I bought a set for a KMP 110. I had them installed and they leaked air from the begining. I found that one of the cylinders was machined too deep and it leaked around the piston. I sent that one back and got a new one and they still leaked. I eneded up with the Sierra gear in the end...
So save some cash and get a good set to begin with....
Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

To clarify.

Please note I do not know this info for a fact, but just by reading SGS's web site and taking common sized gear into consideration that he makes for other planes:

1.) What is included? Ask Darrell. I'm willing to bet a nose gear, and two mains. His air system (tank, tubes and valves) will run you about 85 bucks for the large tank set (that is what Meister Scale charges anyways). I will tell you 100% that the tank, airlines and valves for the ESM stuff will more than likely need to be replaced as I have had a set of ESM gear for the Bf 109 and the P-51 and both were total wastes of money.

2.) Materials being used... again ask Darrell, but most are aluminum upper strut with stainless steel lower struts. THe forks would probably be machined 6061-T6. I would guess the mains would be using a 5/8" pneumatic cylinder.

3.) Why is it priced that way? Because Darrell's shop is a small shop and he doesn't have the resources to have 1000 copies of said gears on the shelf. I'm willing to bet a good number of the parts, if not all of them are not just punched out, but probably hand machined.

4.) As for reviews of SGS's products... think about this, almost ALL the retracts used by the large scale builders come from one of two sources, Sierra Giant Scale or Shindin Machine. At Top Gun 2009, out of all the builders for the WW2 birds, I would say a good 60-70% of them were using SGS gear. He supports his stuff and when things are not right, he fixes it and continues to refine his gear. Which is a lot more than I can say about ESM.

If you want a cheap set of retracts that may or may not work, that looks average and not very much like the real thing, but save $100-$150 bucks, by all means go ESM.

If you want quality retracts that work reliably, that are tough enough to take a bad landing without bending, or snapping, save up the few extra bucks. It is worth it.

Here is an example, compare ESM's 109 gear to Sierras:

ESM (Cost as shown (from KMP): $275.00)

SGS (Cost as shown: $230.00)
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

Has anyone actually flown this plane or seen a video? I am very interested in the T-28 but would like to know something of its flight characteristics. I have a DLE-55 looking for a home.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
builttocrash

Thanks fockewulf. Thats good to know.
ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

BTC,
I would do a search on RCU. There are many who have gone the route of the ESM gear. they end up having to buy sets of gear for the same plane. I bought a set for a KMP 110. I had them installed and they leaked air from the begining. I found that one of the cylinders was machined too deep and it leaked around the piston. I sent that one back and got a new one and they still leaked. I eneded up with the Sierra gear in the end...
So save some cash and get a good set to begin with....
Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
builttocrash

Merlin, Ireally hope you didn't take my post as personal. And the below info... WOW!!! Above and beyond. Thanks man! Just what Ineeded. I love it!
ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

To clarify.

Please note I do not know this info for a fact, but just by reading SGS's web site and taking common sized gear into consideration that he makes for other planes:

1.) What is included? Ask Darrell. I'm willing to bet a nose gear, and two mains. His air system (tank, tubes and valves) will run you about 85 bucks for the large tank set (that is what Meister Scale charges anyways). I will tell you 100% that the tank, airlines and valves for the ESM stuff will more than likely need to be replaced as I have had a set of ESM gear for the Bf 109 and the P-51 and both were total wastes of money.

2.) Materials being used... again ask Darrell, but most are aluminum upper strut with stainless steel lower struts. THe forks would probably be machined 6061-T6. I would guess the mains would be using a 5/8" pneumatic cylinder.

3.) Why is it priced that way? Because Darrell's shop is a small shop and he doesn't have the resources to have 1000 copies of said gears on the shelf. I'm willing to bet a good number of the parts, if not all of them are not just punched out, but probably hand machined.

4.) As for reviews of SGS's products... think about this, almost ALL the retracts used by the large scale builders come from one of two sources, Sierra Giant Scale or Shindin Machine. At Top Gun 2009, out of all the builders for the WW2 birds, I would say a good 60-70% of them were using SGS gear. He supports his stuff and when things are not right, he fixes it and continues to refine his gear. Which is a lot more than I can say about ESM.

If you want a cheap set of retracts that may or may not work, that looks average and not very much like the real thing, but save $100-$150 bucks, by all means go ESM.

If you want quality retracts that work reliably, that are tough enough to take a bad landing without bending, or snapping, save up the few extra bucks. It is worth it.

Here is an example, compare ESM's 109 gear to Sierras:

ESM (Cost as shown (from KMP): $275.00)

SGS (Cost as shown: $230.00)
Old 03-19-2010, 12:29 PM
BigRetracts-RCU

Merlin,

I don't know what to say.
I'm all choked up a teary eyed.

Someones going to think your on the payroll.

Thanks man,

Darrell

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75144.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1401080  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Darrell,

No problem. It took me a year to save the money (behind the Wife's back) to get my Fw 190 1/4 scale retracts from you and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Plus you are good at giving Dino and PJ a hard time, which I enjoy quite a bit...

So yeah, I'll pimp your gear any chance I can get.

Builttocrash:

Nope, not personal at all. I had the unfortunate experience of buying a set of the ESM retracts directly from KMP and regret it. If I can help anyone avoid wasting the money that I did and turn them on to one of the folks who does a bang up job of making some damn fine scale retracts, I'll do it a million times if I can. Trust me, saving for his T-28 gear will be worth it.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:21 PM
builttocrash

Is the picture reversed? From the pictures I've found, the nose wheel is on the wrong side of the strut. Maybe its me?
ORIGINAL: BigRetracts-RCU

Merlin,

I don't know what to say.
I'm all choked up a teary eyed.

Someones going to think your on the payroll.

Thanks man,

Darrell

Name:	Pm35070.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1401126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28055.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1401127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51405.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1401128  
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM
airboss45

Darrell, when you have time, can you please post a [side view] picture of the the front fork gear for the esm t-28. thanks don
Old 03-19-2010, 06:20 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Please: SCALE Nose Gear Strut...... Scale.... Im thinking about a twin OS 240. Gemini. it is about 1/8 inch to narrow.... but it will go at an angle.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 PM
2M86
My Feedback: (1)

Good Morning.

Is it possible to know the total weight of the model (all parts) out of the box?

Does it need a lot of weight on nose for balance?

Massimo.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 PM
airboss45

Massimo, i don't have the answer in pounds, but i can tell you that it is [very very] light. due to the fiberglas fuse and lite build of the big wing. VERY LITE! hope that helps for now. don

Name:	Ge94752.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	1401196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64726.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	1401197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37336.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1401198  
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I mentioned in a couple other threads on this kit, SOLO Prop has the Scale Propeller blade in all sizes for the Trojan.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 PM
YAT-28E

Darrell,

Is the Trojan suppose to be sitting a little higher on the nose? I set my YAT-28E level and it jerked up hard after pulling on the elevator!

I lengthened the nose gear a 1/4" and she lifted off much nicer. Unless the ESM has more + incidence in the wing.

Just a thought, maybe I am wrong....others chime in!!
Mike
Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: airboss45

Massimo, i don't have the answer in pounds, but i can tell you that it is [very very] light. due to the fiberglas fuse and lite build of the big wing. VERY LITE! hope that helps for now. don
Very very nice Don...

Good luck with the build and keep us posted!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:02 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

Mike,

Once we get some weight on the plane, the mains should start to compress
and bring the nose up.

Crash,
You are right, we have the nose fork on the wrong side on the Prototype.
Not a problem, the fork is reversable so we will make sure it's right before we ship any out.

I'll get a photo of the nose strut once I get it finished. The one on it now
is just to find the ride height. I have to make it a little bigger in diameter
and add a few more scale collars and such.

I agree. This plane will be a floater. Anything under 22 pound with this
much wing will be a nice plane. Just need a large enough engine for the
big loops.

Darrell
Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 AM
airboss45

Darrell, real nice work on the ESM T-28 gear. thanks for getting right to it. don
Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 AM
airboss45

Darrell, FYI i have some model T-28 info to pass on to you and ALL for your review. when you have time guys, please review the following website: www.t-28-trojan.com i have been a member of this site for about three years. Sadly, some unknown Hackers have destroyed part [forum] of the site from it's founder "Dave F" many times. it is still 95% open for all to enjoy at this time. the site again is: www.t-28-trojan.com options to review on the site. T-28 History, Const Mod, painting, and lasty Finishbuilds shows Hal P's and Deans beautiful T-28's. thanks don
Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 AM
airboss45

website: www.t-28-trojan.com Guys be sure to review the section on the left called "the build". you will be able to see LOTS of scale work from my friends on different areas of the t-28. i.e. landing gear to scale. don

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.