Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Single Axis Gyro for twins ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Single Axis Gyro for twins ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 05:05 PM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Single Axis Gyro for twins ?

Opinions please :
What about using a simple single axis gyro, like the Igyro 1E for example, in a twin project. The idea being that the gyro would sense an engine out situation before the pilot does, and apply immediate rudder to counter the yaw, and giving the pilot a fighting chance of sitting her down safely.
I have seen many twins lost because the aircraft was too far out to visually see the engine out, and enters a spin before the pilot even knows what happened.
Thanks in advance for your input-
Mike O.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yep, and that's the one I was going to recommend when I saw the question
Old 08-24-2021, 11:19 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gyro

Or you could get something like the Aura from Flex Innovations and just use one axis. Good to have options in case you decide you want a gyro on all surfaces at some point.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:17 PM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you can't win. A gyro in damping mode makes the movements slower but still you can't see them far away. In lock mode, it's the same like a helicopter's tail gyro: there will be no yaw but you have to work the rudder for turns now, and you can't do that far away either. Besides, there may well be a roll to the dead engine because there is less lift there so a roll gyro is advisable. A three-axis gyro would also counter pitching effects I may forget right now.

Not to let you down - your mileage may vary. I tried a gyro system in my Sr. Telemaster and had just these problems, and I strongly disliked flying in lock mode (though I do it easily with helicopters, but at close range). But you could set the gyro system to off in normal flight and activate it if and when you realize that the airplane behaves strangely. A dedicated rescue function (activated by a pushbutton on the transmitter) is standard for helicopters nowadays but I don't know of an airplane gyro system with rescue function yet (requires not only 3 rotation sensors but also 3 acceleration sensors).
Old 08-24-2021, 01:50 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never use lock on a fixed wing.