Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbirds Over The Rockies

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbirds Over The Rockies

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Bird of Paradise
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warbirds Over The Rockies

Just a quick heads up that Love Air RC will again be hosing the 7th Annual Warbirds Over The Rockies September 24-26 at Drake Field east of Fort Collins CO. Warbirds of any size and power in military paint schemes are welcome.

To see highlights of 2009 check RC Ken's fantastic report at [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9053623/tm.htm[/link]. Additional details will be posted on the event website at [link]http://www.warbirdsovertherockies.com[/link]. We will be sending registration info to all pilots who have attended in the past.

Don't miss this great event!!

Brian O'Meara, Event Director

Mike Harrington, CD and Event Co-Director
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Warbirds Over The Rockies

Bunch of us from Minnesota are planning on attending. Any special theme we should plan for?

Rebel
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of new WW1!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian dropped off some fliers at our booth at the Wings Over the Rockies museum open house a couple weeks ago. I noticed that prices have taken quite a jump this year. In checking with the other clubs that have warbirds events scheduled for this year none have increased their entry fees and all include a nice shirt with the entry. Do any of you have any idea why the 50% increase was done for Warbirds Over the Rockies this year, after a 50% increase last year? Is it going more to an airshow than a warbird flyin?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Rebel Flyer

There is nothing out there like this to compare to. This location draws from all over the West to the Midwest. It is a must see event too. It takes alot of money to put on a show like this. Almost ALL of it is paid for by one person.

I will pay my fair share, and more if necessary. to make it a successfull event. I will also donate all of my time helping ANYONE who goes there, and needs a spotter or help in any way. I don't have to fly. If they need Volunteers... I'm there.

Rebel

Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cant see where the cost of registration is. How much is it?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

$50 Landing Fee. It's right on the front page under the $5000 in pilot prizes line.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 PM
vertical grimmace

Hmm...... interesting.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Rebel Flyer

Is there a P-38 theme this year?

Rebel
Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Minnesota guys, will you post an address to your club website for more info on your warbird event? Date, location etc.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

Our club website is http://www.smmac.com

we have info about all our summer events there.

The warbirds event site is Http://www.smmac.com/NAMFI

aug 13-15 are the dates.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Rebel Flyer

Also try this one...

mnbigbirds.com
Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rebel Flyer

Bunch of us from Minnesota are planning on attending. Any special theme we should plan for?

Rebel
Yes, Luftwaffe aircraft.

JG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56576.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1406077  
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will go like the last few years to the WBOTR, $25 more make not much difference in our overall cost. The $50 will keep most of locals form flying at this event.

If there would be an big event here around and the same fee would be applied, I pay the $5 for parking and watch it...
Old 03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

We will go like the last few years to the WBOTR, $25 more make not much difference in our overall cost. The $50 will keep most of locals form flying at this event.

If there would be an big event here around and the same fee would be applied, I pay the $5 for parking and watch it...
Very few of us locals actually fly anyway! I wonder at what point the entry fee would discourage pilots? This is a demo and not a competition. No judges to pay. Interesting.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: Rebel Flyer

There is nothing out there like this to compare to. This location draws from all over the West to the Midwest. It is a must see event too. It takes alot of money to put on a show like this. Almost ALL of it is paid for by one person.

I will pay my fair share, and more if necessary. to make it a successfull event. I will also donate all of my time helping ANYONE who goes there, and needs a spotter or help in any way. I don't have to fly. If they need Volunteers... I'm there.

Rebel

Kirk, since u are offering your help....u can fuel my jets all weekend....

As for the increased entry fee, it is what it is.....I personally know what type of $ goes into this event.....let's just say it's a crapload of it....nothing in life is free...not even lunch anymore. Walk into a Dr's office for 5 minutes and it's $150 to get int he door....then several hundred dollars more for him to do unpleasant things that should only be done by with the lights off....go to a concert and Ticketmaster gets $100 so the musician can buy crack with your $....$50 to me personally (and I don't even have a job) is worth it.

When u step back and look at it, we have anywhere between $500 (on the very low end) up to $20,000 + invested in our aircraft....there are many other events across the country that charge more. This event consumes an entire year to plan and coordinate and is not a money maker. It's done for the passion of Warbirds and the comradere it generates. The cost alone associated to get one of our WWII Veteran Hero's here form out of state on an airline, transport to and from the airport, and lodging is more than most clubs would spend on an entire weekend event....would we rather not have one of these honarble Vets (not many of them in good health left) to give a detailed account of what really happened in Europe and the Pacific over 60 yrs ago? If it comes together, there will be a fullscale flyover from a vintage era jet that will burn beween $3500 and $5000 in fuel alone to do it....Necessary???? Naw....but cool as He** !!! It's is a world class event (coverage in international model magazines), and that takes money. Last year I spent more than $50 in gas driving to and from the event and I'm pseudo local to Ft Collins. To me, the entry fee for an entire weekend of good times outweighs the increased cost by a long shot. My $0.02 worth, and I want change back (remember, no job here)!

Kirk, the kero goes in the yellow line and the smoke oil goes in the clear line.....

Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 PM
furloughed ual

Not to mention the pilot prize I came away with last year was valued at $100 and there were others that were worth more...so for me, I made $$$$
Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 AM
kahloq

Even with all the expense of the event last year, it supposedly netted roughly $5000 in profit in and of itself after all expenses and Omeara's cut was taken into account. However, as a whole throughout the year, the club lost money for various reasons including upkeep costs, building an electric only runway(that no one really uses) etc.
Raising the landing fee is harsh, but probably necessary to some degree. I think $35 would be more palletable.
On another note, the club is trying to raise member dues as well.
$50 will probably be offputting to many. I'll still pay it this year, however, if it goes up again.....Im not so sure since Im obviously local.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Ram-bro

that is kinda steep and with gas prices definetly headed up this summer it might make a difference. What does it cost to joii th eclub and if your a member do you still pay the same landing fees? It might be worth it to join the club......just a thought
Old 03-29-2010, 01:31 AM
kahloq

I am a member of the club already....dues is going up to $80 and members do NOT nor have they ever gotten a discount on the landing fee for Warbirds over the Rockies. That last part makes several us quite upset.
On top fo the $80 dues, there is a one time runway assessment fee of $100 when u first ebcome a member. So, even if they decided to give club members a break on the landing fee for WOTR(which it should have been this way from the start even tho it isnt), it wouldnt save anyone money if they didnt already belong to the club
Old 03-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Ram-bro

wow kahlog, I hope I will be able to come out and fly with you guys this summer. It wouuld be a shame if I miss out again. Those are some pretty steep dues and fees
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: kahloq
However, as a whole throughout the year, the club lost money for various reasons including upkeep costs, building an electric only runway(that no one really uses) etc.
Randall, my understanding is a club cannot "lose" money. The club has a budged and this budget is used to upkeep the field and pay expenses. So, when there are expenses like a new electric runway - this is an expense not a "lost".

Looking forward to see you guys again.

(I have an rc tractor 2.4ghz)
Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 AM
furloughed ual

Come on guys....there is not a club in the country (that I know of) that gives a discount to their members to fly at their event.....Chatfield certainly doesnt....club members pay the same as the next guy....I have traveled to many out of state events ( 3 last month) and guess what, the locals pay the same entry fee as I do...do the Love Air members pay less for any event held there than I would not being a member? As for making "several members upset they dont get a discount".....honestly?

As for the $ part of it, u guys are way off...I wont get into details.

I may be wrong here, but seems to me the electric runway was put it for normal everyday use...not for the WOTR event, so that is a cost the club should bear, not the organizer of WOTR.

Anyway, if the extra $20 is gonna "put u over the top" and cause u heartburn and not allow u to attend, call me and I'll pay the $20 for you (remember, still no job here).

Ryan
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM
G-Pete

Randall, one more: The electric runway could be easyly paid by a state or federal grant. There some clubs out there who received up to $250000. Next club meeting....

I will not dig up here the sources, this is the job of the officers. If they have no clue, every year there are elections!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

Just curious since it has not been mentioned, did the fees for the spectators get raised, did the fees for the vendors go up or is the only person who is getting hit is the guy who is actually making the event what it is THE PILOTS. It might only be $20.00 more, but when you drive 953 miles (one Way), 15 hours, 3 maybe 4 nights in a hotel it adds up. Kind of steep if you ask me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.