Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Crashed!-need your input

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Crashed!-need your input

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed!-need your input

So i picked up a parkzone p-51, used, yesterday. I figured since the stock nimh is rated at 10.8v, my 11.1v 3s was a natural fit, right? I'm sorta newbish with planes, & apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge.Today, out for my 1st flight with my well seasoned bird, my boy tripped, hand launching straight into the ground. I never even flew it. Now, she's dead! No throttle, or flaps. Everyhting else looks okay. Broke the cone & crinkled the fuse a bit. But why no juice? Can that impact fry the esc? I checked & re-checked the wiring. I don't know planes, but i know rc & i don't know what to look at. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Crashed!-need your input

I don't rememeber the ParZone P-51 ever coming with NiMihs, maybe a beginning would be share a little more info, maybe even pics of your plane.
If anything is 'dead'/ 'fried': it would probably be the ESC. Am I to understand that the elevators, rudder, and ailerons work, but not the flaps and throttle?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:50 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

The PZ Mustang came stock with a brushed motor and a NiMH battery, same as the Fw-190. The electronics can be easily modified to accomodate a Lipo.

I'm guessing that the receiver crapped out from the impact. Are you using the supplied radio and receiver or your own equipment?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 AM
ampeater

Oh yeah, I have one of these! The only change I made was throw out the nimh and replace with a lipo. You can't move the battery location and the nimh makes the plane so nose heavy all mine would do was a full-powered glide (to put it nicely) to the ground after hand launching. Changing to a lipo made all the difference. Theres a shorting pin on the rx that you have to move to change the volt cutoff.

Sound's like you might have damaged your rx, but probably not fried. Double check the wires from battery to rx, or that the battery connector has volts. The tamiya connectors aren't the best.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:53 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That has to be a pretty old version of the parkzone mustang to have the brushed motor. They changed to brushless fairly quickly. That is the original paint job too I guess. If you find its the esc I would recommend changing to the brushless deisgn rather than buying another brushed esc. The brushless version flies much better than the brushed version, in fact it flies right out of your hand with only a gentle toss- no more worries about tripping because it's so easy to hand launch. The brushless motor they use is the same as the one thye used in the T28 red/white version, and so you probably can buy the motor/mount and esc fairly cheaply from someone who crashed their T28.

Ed
Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Jado 6

Thanks much fellas! I have since learned that taking a spinning prop, at full throttle, intothe ground can overload the esc. I'm thinking thats my problem.