Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60 size warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60 size warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
drypipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 60 size warbirds

I know warbirds typically have a high wing loading and need to fly fast for the air to flow around the wings to prevent stalling. However does anyone know if there is a 60 size Hangar 9 warbird that can fly well at low speeds without having that tendency to tip stall and can possibly land in a glide when chopping the throttle? Reason why I ask is because I want to move away from my Pulse 60 and now want to get introduced to the 60 size warbirds by using my Zenoah 20Ei gasser. I also have a short runway.

DryPipe
Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar 9 60 size warbirds

ANY of the H9 warbirds in that size will suit your needs.
They are all great flyers that do not have the high wing loading of a typical warbird model.
Pick one and have fun. Just make sure to do the assemble it properly to ensure strength in the critical areas. Wing joiner, firewall, etc.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
P-40 DRIVER

I would suggest you skip the zenoah if your trying to keep the plane light and forgiving. Thats a bunch of weight that does not need to be there.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the H9 Hellcat with a Magnum 91 2s weighing in at 9.3 lbs. No flaps, but for landing I set the ailerons to deflect UP 10 degrees or so to help slow the plane down. The UP deflection changes the Angle of Attack at the wing tips so the slow speed stall occurs near the wing root rather than a tip stall. Or so I have read. Anyway it seems to work or, at least, not make things worse.

The big cowl will give you a place to intall the Z20ei. However, I agree with P-40 Driver. Putting a heavy gas engine in this plane will make slow, short landings more difficult. The wingloading on my setup is about 28 oz/ft2. With the z20ei, it will probably be about 35 oz/ft2. At that wingloading, one starts looking at flaps to slow the plane down, but the H9 Hellcat does not have them.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
drypipe

Ya, the Zenoah weighs 2.60 Lbs and a RCGF 15cc weighs 1.82 LBS. I guess I may go with the RCGF 15cc gasser because I hate glow. The trade off may be to find a larger field to fly in and come in hot. If I'm going to wind up with a sinker airplane due to the extra weight of a gasoline engine, I just may have to live with the worry of keeping speed up to avoid a stall but my main concern was having the luxury of being able to chop the throttle and glide somewhat on final approach.

DryPipe.

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER

I would suggest you skip the zenoah if your trying to keep the plane light and forgiving. Thats a bunch of weight that does not need to be there.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:49 PM
P-40 DRIVER

You can land just as slow and in more control, power on, then in a glide. Gliding an airplane in is something you need to get past before your going to be able to be successful with high perforemance aircraft. Use your elevator to regulate your speed and your throttle to regulate your altitude. Used together,you establish a glide slope and put the plane anywhere you want it, hopefully on the end of the run way.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Also, an inverted four stroke with the muffler pointed out the bottom will leave very little fuel residue, so clean up is a snap. If you have your heart set on gas, an airplane in 72 inch range would be a much better choice, Something like an ESM imported by Troy Built Models.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 PM
drypipe

Yes, my heart is set on a two stroke gasser mostly because of cost and simplicity in tuning. What do you think of that ESM FW-190? Is that a warbird that can esaily tip stall? I do like At-6 Texans but just about every other one I have seen on You Tube has had that tendency to tip stall in a heart beat.

Also, is ESM the same company as Kondor Models?

DryPipe.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

If you build the ESM/KMP Fw190 you really need to have the skills to move the servos and many internal parts forward . I say that because many needed more weight then published to finish . If you dont the plane still flys great with the added weight but the wing loading goes up and therefore the more skill is needed as it will resemble more of a warbird .

The CMP 73" p40 is a gem to fly , does not need a ton of weight to achieve cg , I think you can still get one from ALex /ak models for about $200 thru $225 or the CMP Bf 109 , both nice flyers in the 73" ranges
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
drypipe

What is the website for "Alex / ak Models"? I think Nitro Planes also sells that same CMP P-40 for $200.00.
However, this airplane has gotten no so good reviews form RCU in terms of quality of materials in the kit.
I think I'll keep focused on the Hangar 9 warbirds for now. Since H9 does recommend a 20cc Zenoah, I think I'll be fine with that little RCGF 15cc.

DryPipe.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 PM
bigtim

the little 15 gas engine looks interesting if they were available when I built my Top Flight P-47 I might have gone that way instead of the 120 4 stroke, although the OS 4strokes really don't leave much oil behind.
the 2 H-9 planes I have the P-40,and P-51 Marie, are real nice flyers both are powered by OS91 surpass engines plenty of power, and they balanced out perfectly with no added weight.
havent heard anything about the Top Flight ARF's on this thread, there quite nice looking as well, the P-47 would fit the small gas engine just fine clean looking as well, better than the H-9 IMO.

as for the ESM planes I just bought my first one, after wanting one for quite a while, when they first came on the market, there high price was a bit of a bummer, now there a bit less, the money I saved, I used for the retracts I bought the FW190.
the finish on the plane is really good, just some small details I plan on doing to add that extra touch its also quite a bit bigger than my 60 size planes, very impressive.
my plan is to use a 26 size gas engine for it my first gasoline powered plane.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Wingspam

http://ak-models.com
Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM
drypipe

Would you recommend your ESM Fw-190 as a good plane to start with in terms of getting into large scale warbirds for the first time? The 15cc gasser would be too small for this size warbird, yes? I wish H9 made a FW-190.

Have you heard anything about that Top Flite At-6 Texan 60? Would this bird be a good starter warbird?

DryPipe
Old 03-21-2010, 10:06 PM
bigtim

ORIGINAL: drypipe

Would you recommend your ESM Fw-190 as a good plane to start with large scale?

DryPipe
I don't know about that, its a big plane your going to need some experience with a larger plane I would think, I have been flying my H-9 planes for a while now and I am not totally confident with this one, it will be my largest plane to date.

for a first warbird, I would go with the H-9 or Top Flight ARF's and work your way up, if you went with the ESM I would get some help, I plan on getting some assistance from my more expierenced club members, who have delt with gas engines and larger aircraft at least for the first go around, I feel prety good about flying it but i still plan on a walk through.

the H-9 was a smooth transition from a stunt/sport plane,I had help with my P-40,it was my 3rd plane, and soloed my Mustang myself with like 2 clicks of down trim on the elevator it was almost plug and play,the ESM is a little deaper in the plug dept
Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 PM
drypipe

Ya, I'll first work with the 60 size H9 birds first. Besides the H9 planes, I do like that At-6 Texan by Top Flite. I have read that all Texan r/c models are prone to tip stalls if speed is not maintained especially during turns. Is this true?

DryPipe.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
bigtim

not too sure, plenty of stories on RCU but I haven't seen one in person.
I do have a AT-6 Hollywood Zero kit in my kit collection, but I don't know if it will ever get built at the rate I am going, it takes me about a year or more to get a kit done and I have a couple of projects going now
Old 03-21-2010, 11:01 PM
drypipe

Well, You may get a good bid price on Ebay for it. More $$ for summer fuel.

DryPipe.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 PM
drypipe

Tommy Gun,

I think I may get the H9 Corsair. I also have a smaller RCGF 15cc gasser that is lighter than the Zenoah 20Ei and will also fit.

What do you think of the Corsair as my first warbird? Is seems to have the lowest wing loading of all the H9 warbirds of 26.04 oz./sq.ft.. But I have also read in reviews that the Corsair can tip stall badly? From the RCU reviews, the P-47 Thunderbolt is a big floater on landings with a wing loading greater than the Corsair of 28 oz./sq.ft..

Drypipe.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
bigtim

no I think it will remain safely in my collection I am still young enough, or thats what I keep teling myself

I also have the H-9 corsair in a box sitting in a corner, I picked it up off ebay for a deal, there's plenty of room in the cowl area for a little gas engine, but I plan on installing a OS 91 spII in that one as well.
I would like to check out one of those little engines first hand,the corsair was my next project untill I picked up the ESM so it will sit for a little while longer, all the info I have read and by the looks of the model its going to be a nice little flyer, I also have a new set of electric rotating retracts for it, but I have a new lover now and its name is werger LOL
Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 AM
drypipe

If you don't think you will get to the Corsair, maybe I'll buy if from you? It's nice to know that the 15cc gasser will fit the fire wall. Had H9 made improvements on the Corsair's fire wall and landing gear since it first came out on the market a few years back?

Is this one good as a first warbird?

DryPipe.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 AM
bigtim

you know the firewall looks fine and has some triangle stock in the corners, I will coat the fuel tank area with thinned epoxy to fuel proof it, and to srengthen it just in case, its what I did to the other ones.

as for the gear there a mess,I needed to adjust them about every 5 flights or so and the wires are pretty weak,that being said I used the gear in the P-40 for over a year before swapping them out for LADO electrics.

now for the corsair the first thing I did was to pull them out and sell em on RCU, I have a set of LADO rotating retracts for the F4U, the company has had its issues but rumor is its on the rebound the actual gear is outstanding and I was lucky enough to get a set before the trouble began.

some guys have gone with century jet gear, others with the Robart rotators
Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 AM
drypipe

I guess that new "Blue Nose" P-51 has better retracts that are spring loaded and are made of metal all around and pre installed flaps for slower landings! Another consideration for my first warbird. I guess all of the H9 warbirds pretty much fly the same.

DryPipe.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 AM
drypipe

The pre- installed retracts on the new H9 P-51 look similar to the Century jet retracts.

DryPipe.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

The reviews on the CMP planes that were negative were on the small 54" verions .
It will not matter anyway because I noticed you wanted to go gas and the P40 -73" CMP will require to much work on the nose to get you to add a gas engine .

You can get the CMP/Flymodels hellcat for about $149 . The reason I suggest this plane is the following -1)light wing loading , 2)longer then usualy wing span 3)gas engine will be easy to front mount 4)gas engine will help achive cg without adding too much weight 5) initial investment will not be too great for your first warbird 6)this plane is a good flyer , no bad habbits and tons of post on bashes and mods on line .

I agree with Tim that while the Fw190 esm is quality it may be too much plane.

Now the p47 are known to be the best warbird flyers but ... any warbirds can be a handful if the wing loading is heavy that is why so many rec the hanger 9 birds , there light
Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Tommy_Gun

The H9 Corsair will slow down and land just as well as any of the other H9 warbirds.
The only potential caveat for a new warbird flyer is the rotating retracts.
Set up properly they are just fine though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.