Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ESM F4U Build

Schmale, now that is a work of art. Well done. My inlaws used to live in Berwin. Where do u fly?
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Schmale, now that is a work of art. Well done. My inlaws used to live in Berwin. Where do u fly?
    Thanks!
    I fly as a member of the Buc-LE Aerosportsmen in Quakertown, PA and the Farview Flyers in Hamburg, PA.
    Sean McHale - Malvern, PA
    "Strive for simplicity. You never have to repair what you leave out." - Bill Lear
    Kingtech Turbines - www.kingtechturbines.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ESM F4U Corsair 74 in. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow, I'm so exited I've read this thread 3  times. Does anyone know of a build video?
    Buy Build Crash Cry Repeat, Fun!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I got my ESM F4U 74" Corsair today and for the most part I am pleased. One of the things that I noticed on the initial inspection was f7 (the aft most fuse former) is a good 1/4" out of square, I hope this will not be a problem, at this time I am not considering the retracting tail wheel. I want to keep this aircraft as light as possible, especially the tail section area. I have Century Jet rotating retacts for the main landing gear, and A syssa 180hp 30cc for power.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56696.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	1846463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pl32279.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	1846464  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rc mike the former will not hurt being out because of the way that the tailwheel assembly hooks up. I have one that I have a retractable tailwheel in and mine came in at just over 19 pounds. Flys great on a G-38.

Name:	Zx72601.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1846476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qj19861.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	1846477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tv38593.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	1846478  
    Michael.M Waco brother #187

P-47 Brotherhood #22

And Certified Warbird Nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is balanced at 4 1/2 inches. This is my second, my first was lost because of an engine failure at a bad time. The 30cc will be plenty of power but you will have to add a lot of weight. My g-38 weights 54ozs and I still needed 29ozs of lead to balance it.

P-47 Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Skillet, adding nose weight is why I'm shy'ing away from the retracting tail wheel. I know I'm going to add weight, I just want to add as little as pos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rc mike my first came in at 18 1/2 and I just went and weighted mine to see exactly what it weighted. By a fish scale it weights 19.1. Now there is a large forum on this on here also. 50 plus pages that has a lot of good info. Good luck on your build if you have any questions just ask. I have the Seirra gear that down and locked converted to electric for this one. They are 100 degree gear and prevent nose overs on takeoff and landings.

P-47 Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skillet-

I also have the Sierra gear at 18+ lbs. and the springs is my gear won't support the plane weight completely. My struts drop about 3/8" when sitting on the gear. Do you have this problem with the weight of your plane?

Thanks
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dummy is as Dummy Does, Dummy Assembly Complete. Other than the outboard flap not matching the aileron, At this point the flaps fit well.... DOC. lol

Name:	Jh15376.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	1847080  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow I did not know these things were coming in at 18++++ lbs , that is disappointing !
    I was hoping for 14 to 16 max !I am going electric and i know the batterys will add weight but that is some major wing loading
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcflyinmike

Â*Dummy is as Dummy Does, Dummy Assembly Complete. Other than the outboard flap not matching the aileron, At this point the flaps fit well.... DOC. Â*lol
    I had the same situation with the flaps aligning with the ailerons. I had to align the wing properly before I glued it together. This required some sanding of the ribs and the "main wing joiner". Don't have to sand much but it helped to align the ailerons.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats why Im trying to keep my Bird as light as possible, My Century Jet Retracts are only rated for 15 lbs....Pushing the envalope.
    ORIGINAL: LDM

wow I did not know these things were coming in at 18++++ lbs , that is disappointing !
    I was hoping for 14 to 16 max !I am going electric and i know the batterys will add weight but that is some major wing loading

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ESM F4U Corsair Color F 74" vs. CMP P40 War-Hawk 140 73" Out of the Box.

I have built several kits, A few Scratch builds(my Favorite) and 3 arfs.
    The Corsair is my second War-Bird Build, The War-hawk, my first.
    Corsair- Advertised 74.2 inch wingspan, Actual 73.25.
    Noticedimmediately F7 improperly installed, Hardware pkg. came open, Missing all wing servo hatches ...not sure whatelse yet.
    Very nice finish but boath wing tips have covering peeling back on the LE, and don't try to mask it off !!No need to cut covering to remove, Just put some tape on it!
    Instructions, 14 pg. of bad English, not very complete information. The thread helps a little, alot missing though, no buildVideo'sfound.
    Price, $339.00 plus $70.00 shipping. total $409.00. in stock.
    CustomerServiceBefore this Posting- Outstanding!
    War-Hawk- advertised 73 inch Wingspan, Actual 73"
    The only problem I had with this out of the box was the canopy was cloudy, I was able to clear it up with a flame brushedquicklyacross.
    Finish was very solid, took alot of work to weather, Distress.
    Instructions, one page, everything you needed to know, Except of coarse they gave you a tail heavybalance point. (Tail Heavy= Crash= Buy another=Repeat Businuss.) Very nice Build Thread, Covers pretty much everything, Nice BuildVideotoo!
    Price, $199.00 plus $50.00 shipping. total $249.00.out of stock.
    Customer Service; unknown.

This is my Just experience and may or may not be typical.
    Just tells me that you don't always get what you pay for.

Name:	Ec88774.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	1847116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zv67257.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	1847117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp35049.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	1847118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82841.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	1847119  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

personally , I own both and many CMPs .
    The CMP when it was launched was $299. Its been disco by the distributors for about two years and the price listed is dico price .
    The P40 uses a totally different fiberglass very low grade and "tin can" when grabbed and will soften under normal direct sun .
    Ask me how I know lol , I have over 11 CMP planes and the copy version made by Fly Models .
    CMP makes a great budget warbird that with care can last and fly a long time .In addition they are much lighter but that is at the cost of quality and endurance . They need to be lined with either light ply or flite skin to give you a feel of a better glassed fuse .
    The wings are ok , but retracts bays need care in reinforcement , much to any arf

The esm line is using better , not super but better glass .The ESM center wing on the corsair is super heavy duty and really beyond the quality expected (by me ) for the cost of the plane . The fuse is better glass then CMP but still tin cans none the less and will leave permanent marks if left on a plane stand upside down in an area that is not support by a wood former inside the fuse .Again simple mods with flite skin can reinforce the fuse with out too much weight gain .
    I may try the esm electric retracts as they seem lighter then the CJ gear that I own and use light weight Dubro wheels , the esm wheels are very nice but the scale ones that come with the original air retracts are very heavy .
    I am hoping that with two battery's upfront , an eletric motor and potentially and electric tail wheel I can come in under 15lbs .
    It seems every esm plane originally marketed by KMP comes in way over weight .
    I know the true warbird guys love that heavy feel , its just not for me , ever since I started making them lighter I started going home with my planes , so perhaps its just my lack of advance skill or desire to be challenged on every flight lol
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As far as the glass goes in comparing the "tin can" effect side by side, I can detect no difference between the two other then a PIN HOLE in my Corsair's Cockpit!
    Like I said, This is just My Experience.
    LDM's the Man with the real expeirience, Im just a Rookie when compared to him, If Im not mistaken LDM is one of the Builders in the War-Hawk Build thread I mentioned,
    Nice Work!!

Thanks for the input

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skillet-

I also have the Sierra gear at 18+ lbs. and the springs is my gear won't support the plane weight completely. My struts drop about 3/8'' when sitting on the gear. Do you have this problem with the weight of your plane?

Thanks
    Tevans yes mine does that also. Does not cause a problem on landing. I just made sure the wheels are clear with the strut fully depressed. My first came in at 18 1/2 pounds. I decided after I lost that one from a engine problem that I would try a tail wheel. This one weights 19.1 by a fish scale. Not to much extra weight and it does fly well. Those big flaps slow it down nicely and help it land easy for me.

P-47 Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skillet92

Skillet-

I also have the Sierra gear at 18+ lbs. and the springs is my gear won't support the plane weight completely. My struts drop about 3/8'' when sitting on the gear. Do you have this problem with the weight of your plane?

Thanks
    Tevans yes mine does that also. Does not cause a problem on landing. I just made sure the wheels are clear with the strut fully depressed. My first came in at 18 1/2 pounds. I decided after I lost that one from a engine problem that I would try a tail wheel. This one weights 19.1 by a fish scale. Not to much extra weight and it does fly well. Those big flaps slow it down nicely and help it land easy for me.
    Thanks...I was a little worried about these struts compressing to much. I am trying out the Earl Aune tail wheel retract. I don't think it turned out to much of a weight addition to the tail.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Mike , I cant really see the differance in the fiberglass but there is a squeeze differance and trust me I am not an ESM/ snob lol . As a fact I bought my first corsair from KMP when they were distributing the esm line .
    Also the real experts (not me ) actually named the differance in the glass used but its in one of the threads .
    In the world of quality , its funny if you line up the esm , then cmp then Fly modles you can see the step down in qc as you go along .
    Fly modles would copy CMP on the exact modle and sell them at 40% less , but you really need to add some work to get them airworthy , however well worth the effort if you dont have time to build !! ( my blog shows an FW190 Fly Modle copy)
    I was disappointed in the fact that $550, got me shoddy retracts and a plane that lacked many details on the fuse , wings and tail area .
    I felt that it was not worth $200 to $300 more then the CMP line .
    Then when esm went to Troy build /VQ the cost came way down and these planes became much more affordable and worth it (in my opinion ) .
    I have to say when I am done catching up with my foamy and the Fly Model Hellcat that I have on my building board , I will be onto my second CMP P40 scale bash , BF109 , Spit and P47 , (the P47 is a fly model copy ) $149 off ebay and it was a steal (about 4 years ago )
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, Putting my disappointment induced temper tantrum behind me and moving on.
    I'm working on the flap hinges,Step 15 of the instructions are telling me to put 20x16x2 ply under the wing half of the hinge, and 15x15x2 ply under the flap half of the hinge. The problem is I have 50 15x15x2 and no 20x16x2, the wing half of the hinge holes fall on the edge of the of the 15x15x2 ply and will not allow for proper screw installation, hence the 20x16x2 is needed. has anyone else had this problem?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LDM said " I cant really see the differance in the fiberglass but there is a squeeze differance"

I think the ESM glass may feel a little more plyable, where the CMP more Brittle feeling.

I had to paste the relevent portion of your paragraph to this response, not sure how to quote just a portion.
    Thanks for thew help LDM!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ESM F4U Corsair Color F 74'' vs. CMP P40 War-Hawk 140 73'' Out of the Box.

I have built several kits, A few Scratch builds(my Favorite) and 3 arfs.Â*
    The Corsair is my second War-Bird Build, The War-hawk, my first.
    Â*
    Corsair- Advertised 74.2 inch wingspan, Actual 73.25.Â*
    NoticedÂ*immediatelyÂ* F7 improperly installed, Hardware pkg. came open, Missing all wing servo hatches ...not sure whatÂ*else yet.Â*
    Very nice finish but boath wing tips have covering peeling back on the LE, and don't try to mask it off !!Â*No need to cut covering to remove, Just put some tape on it!
    Instructions, 14 pg. of bad English, not very complete information. The thread helps a little, alot missing though, no buildÂ*Video'sÂ*found.
    Price, $339.00 plus $70.00 shipping. total $409.00. in stock.
    CustomerÂ*ServiceÂ*Before this Posting- Outstanding!
    Â*
    War-Hawk- advertised 73 inch Wingspan, Actual 73''
    The only problem I had with this out of the box was the canopy was cloudy, I was able to clear it up with a flame brushedÂ*quicklyÂ*across.
    Â*Finish was very solid, took alot of work to weather, Distress.
    Instructions, one page, everything you needed to know, Except of coarse they gave you a tail heavyÂ*balance point. (Tail Heavy= Crash= Buy another=Repeat Businuss.) Very nice Build Thread, Covers pretty much everything, Nice BuildÂ*VideoÂ*too!
    Price, $199.00 plus $50.00 shipping. total $249.00.out of stock.
    Customer Service; unknown.
    Â*
    This is my Just experience and may or may not be typical.
    Just tells me that you don't always get what you pay for.
    Â*
    Â*
    Have not built any CMP planes but I can say as far as the ESM goes, they should not really be called ARFs. And don't balance the corsair where the instructions say. It will be tail heavy and short lived. I looked through my first ones instructions and just put them away. I was glad I did not really need them because they are useless.

P-47 Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skillet92

Skillet-

Thanks
    Thanks...I was a little worried about these struts compressing to much. I am trying out the Earl Aune tail wheel retract. I don't think it turned out to much of a weight addition to the tail.
    That is the one that I installed. I had to cut away the last former and put a new one in further forward to get the tailwheel to fit. Mine works great and yes it did not add a lot of extra weight.

P-47 Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, Putting my disappointment induced temper tantrum behind me and moving on.Â*
    I'm working on the flap hinges,Step 15 of Â*the instructions are telling me to put 20x16x2 ply under the wing half of the hinge, and 15x15x2 ply under the flap half of the hinge. The problem is I have 50 15x15x2 Â*and no 20x16x2, the wing half of the hinge holes fall on the edge of the of the 15x15x2 ply and will not allow for proper screw installation, hence the 20x16x2 is needed. has anyone else had this problem?
    Â* Â*
    Mike I put nothing under my hinges. Just mounted them directly to the wing and flaps. The rest of the surfaces got robart pinned hinges. What I did was tape in place all the flaps top and bottom and then set the hinges where I wanted them and marked. I think I had to shim one or two of the hinges with washers to make them line up properly.

P-47 Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Skillet,
    I considered omitting the ply, but was concerned that it would chang the geomitry and that the screws going into just the balsa would not hold under the load of flap deployment.
    But if you have had no problems, I will do the same.

Thanks Again!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast