Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Which is harder to fly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Which is harder to fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
jmdlcar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is harder to fly

Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Which is harder to fly

It's all easy! Nothing hard about any of this stuff.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 AM
jmdlcar

I'm new to this is why I ask. I'm retire and don't have a lot money to spend.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmdlcar

I'm new to this is why I ask. I'm retire and don't have a lot money to spend.
I would like to suggest an RC flight simulator. There are some that are not expensive, and those are effective for learning the basics of RC plane control.

The problem with starting out with a nice P-51 is that getting familiar with the control movements can cost you an airplane in a matter of seconds. With the simulator, you just press "reset" after a crash.

After you get familar with the flying process on the simulator, you can choose which plane you want to start with. I would wager a P51 might not be your first choice, after flying a few simulator planes.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 04-21-2010, 02:53 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

REAL P-51 pilots did not learn to fly in a P-51, and neither should anybody who want's to fly radio control airplanes.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
prop wash

Jack,Jim is right.The war birds always look great to the beginner and the thought of flying a mustang is most everyones dream.You need to start with something that looks like a piper cub.Then after you get the hang of it go to a low wing,then a war bird.These are not toys but small airplanes. Planes like the mustang were designed for speed and manuverability,they react fast.Start easy just like real pilots do.
Tom
Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
jmdlcar

All Thanks.

What Flight Simulator good and don't cost a lot.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:16 PM
jmdlcar

What size piper cub should I get "Ultra-Micro, med or large"?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM
RCGuy41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real Flite has a new product out for beginners, runs right about a hundred bucks, program and basic controller. Try Towers website or go to your local Hobby Shop, also there's other sims on the market for the same price. Make sure you know the operating system on you home computer, ram, cpu speed, video card type; i.e. Nvidea, ATI to include your video ram and so on, and finally how much room you have remaining on the hard drive. The reason is to ensure you purchase the right sim for the type of computer you have. Most windows XP machines will run just about all sims on the market, do your research, and if you have a Mac or Apple make sure the sim is for that OS.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 PM
jmdlcar

Here is my Specifications:

Athlon 64 X2 (B) 4400+ 2.3 GHz
Integrated GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 128mb
Memory Installed 2 GB
Hard drive 320 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
Sound/Audio High Definition 8-channel audio
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium

Do I have enough?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 AM
RCGuy41

jmdlcar,

Yes, you have a very good system and it will handle all types of sims on the market. When purchasing a flight sim, use your system configuration (what you posted) to ensure that the sim requirements will run on your system. Again there's plenty to pick and choose from, flight sims, Real Flite 5.0 IMHO is the best sim on the market, it provides photo fields, realistic training aids, trainer to advanced aircraft, and etc. Cost for Real Flite 5.0 is $200 from your local hobby shop or on line, but if you are looking for something less expensive, do some research and ask questions.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
RCGuy41

Jack,

What's your RC skill level
Old 04-22-2010, 11:06 AM
jmdlcar

I'm62 so thought I would start a hobby so I'm new to this.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Scar

I'm 62 so thought I would start a hobby so I'm new to this.
And you're starting the right way - becoming an informed consumer.

I learned a bunch on the Dave Brown flight sim, got it at a swap meet for a hundred or something like that. Came with a transmitter-like controller. Tried a couple of cheapo Flight Sim discs off the rack, $19, and they were good to learn stuff with - but no transmitter or controller.

There are very expensive ones that are realistic and have a lot of planes, but I think you cannot go wrong with any sim that will work on your computer (and comes with a controller that looks like conventional transmitter.) And frankly, the cost of the expensive types is less than the cost of a good glow trainer setup.

Another way to become a more informed consumer is to check with any nearby clubs or flyers. There's a list of AMA clubs on the AMA website (http://www.modelaircraft.org/)

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 04-22-2010, 02:17 PM
RCGuy41

ORIGINAL: Scar

And you're starting the right way - becoming an informed consumer.

I learned a bunch on the Dave Brown flight sim, got it at a swap meet for a hundred or something like that. Came with a transmitter-like controller. Tried a couple of cheapo Flight Sim discs off the rack, $19, and they were good to learn stuff with - but no transmitter or controller.

There are very expensive ones that are realistic and have a lot of planes, but I think you cannot go wrong with any sim that will work on your computer (and comes with a controller that looks like conventional transmitter.) And frankly, the cost of the expensive types is less than the cost of a good glow trainer setup.

Another way to become a more informed consumer is to check with any nearby clubs or flyers. There's a list of AMA clubs on the AMA website (http://www.modelaircraft.org/)

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Jack, I agree with Mr. Olson, since you are new to the hobby, visit a local flying field and hobby shop. You can visit the AMA website as stated from Mr. Olsons post to find the nearest AMA certified club/field. Jack here is the best thing to do, purchase an RC sim, practice on it and work with your local club, they have instructor pilots that can train you how to fly RC planes. Ask if the club has their own trainers, my club has two trainers to use when we are actively recruiting new members or providing intro flights for the scouts even local kids wanting to learn about the hobby. Jack, just remember this you are never too old to learn something new, welcome to the hobby and good luck.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 AM
carlbecker

Sims can save a lot of fustration. I have seen people learn to fly on them and then quickly solo. Recommended.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 PM
jmdlcar

After take off should reduce engine power or should stay at full power?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Scar

After take off should reduce engine power or should stay at full power?
On your first flight, you'll find that trimming will be necessary. A little aileron, a little elevator, to keep the plane flying straight & level without a lot of stick input.

That trim operation is best done at part throttle.

I presume that wasn't really your question though, so let me add this. It will take more power to take off and gain altitude than it t does to maintain straight & level flight, or fly around the pattern at constant altitude. That being the case, I always recommend that a student reduce throttle to about half, or whatever it takes to keep the plane flying at constant altitude.

The reason I suggest that is because the learning process involves making mistakes. Recovery from mistakes is most convenient with a slower moving plane.

So, I suggest the throttle be reduced shortly after takeoff, to near the minimum required for constant altitude flight.

Just my opinion,
Dave Olson
Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
matus777

[quote]ORIGINAL: Scar

So, I suggest the throttle be reduced shortly after takeoff, to near the minimum required for constant altitude flight.Just my opinion,
Dave Olson

Really?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Scar

ORIGINAL: matus777

ORIGINAL: Scar

So, I suggest the throttle be reduced shortly after takeoff, to near the minimum required for constant altitude flight.Just my opinion,
Dave Olson

Really?
Remember, although this is the Warbird forum, the post is about the training process.

And yes, when I have a student on the second controller, I have them throttle back once they're at a 2-mistake altitude.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM
matus777

It might be important for someone to understand the additional qualification added?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going with small electric warbird stuff, I would recommend a Corsair, to start out with. The gull wings add extra dihedral that make the rudder more effective and tone down the overall flight characteristics. These small Corsairs fly extremely well and look good doing it.

I say this from personal experience, not conjecture. Yes, they are all fairly easy, but some are just easier than others, and that seems to be what your looking for. Hope you have fun with what you decide on. It is a great hobby, if you don't weaken.

The sim is definitely the way to go to develop 'mussel memory' for this hobby. Although it is an investment, it can ultimately save you hundreds of dollars. Google 'G5 RC simulators' and you will find several places to buy them.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

yea i think the corsair has better landing tendencies than the mustang , on my pacific warbirds sim , its the only plane i was able to land. you have to really grease the mustang in at high speed . the hellcat or 47 would probly be about the same as the u bird.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:04 PM
da Rock

Best advice is look for a local club and see about connecting with an experienced instructor.