Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1724

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW Top Flight P-40??? 1/5 scale

ORIGINAL: groovy67

Warhawk,as far as the pilot i used fishing line to hold him in...lol.He wiggles around a little but no big deal.I wish he had long pants because his knees look like he has prosthetic legs.
    As far as the bouncing on landing,I come in with full flaps and a little power and pray for a greased landing,hoding the flare and trying to let the wheels just skim down on the runway.Always a nail biter,Not sure what causes it to bounce so much but I think the short length from the wing to tail has a lot to do with it.I've seen Gee Bees that do the same same with the short stubby fusalages. Once down it seems to be another issue keeping it tracking straight...but thats another story.My wingtips will be razor sharp soon...lol.
    Hopefully someone will will have a soution to this that they can share.

John
    I am going to fly mine first to see how it handles, but seriously think of adding a GYRO on the rudder.

Have been reading up on it here on another thread, and have a guy that flies helicopters and said it would be easy to do.
    Remember to FLY HARD and LAND SOFT

AMA 5288
    IMAC 3721
    IMAA 24878

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: groovy67

Warhawk,as far as the pilot i used fishing line to hold him in...lol.He wiggles around a little but no big deal.I wish he had long pants because his knees look like he has prosthetic legs.
    As far as the bouncing on landing,I come in with full flaps and a little power and pray for a greased landing,hoding the flare and trying to let the wheels just skim down on the runway.Always a nail biter,Not sure what causes it to bounce so much but I think the short length from the wing to tail has a lot to do with it.I've seen Gee Bees that do the same same with the short stubby fusalages. Once down it seems to be another issue keeping it tracking straight...but thats another story.My wingtips will be razor sharp soon...lol.
    Hopefully someone will will have a soution to this that they can share.

John
    If the plane is tail heavy it can cause that too. Probably not the cause of yours, but it can make it worse. The tail will stop flying sooner and tend to fall when the mains touch down, which will increase the wing's angle of atack making the plane try to take back off.
    P-40 Brotherhood #70
    To fly is heavenly, to torque roll is devine!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

all my planes with flaps bounce down the runway if you dont greese the landing. you should try less flaps and see if it helps..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually I find using flaps really helps for smoother ladings it enables me to give a little more throttle and pull the plane in on it's mains and then just let her go till the tail drops and then apply a little up elevator to keep the tail down . This works with my P-51 and P-47 also . These Top-Flite war birds almost land themselves . Try to stay off the elevator and use the throttle more when coming in and do not try to flair to much or to soon.

thanks Bob
    p40bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: masteromodels

Actually I find using flaps really helps for smoother ladings it enables me to give a little more throttle and pull the plane in on it's mains and then just let her go till the tail drops and then apply a little up elevator to keep the tail down . This works with my P-51 and P-47 also . These Top-Flite war birds almost land themselves . Try to stay off the elevator and use the throttle more when coming in and do not try to flair to much or to soon.

thanks Bob

+1
    Greg Norman said, \"Happiness is a long walk with a putter.\" Obviously he never flew a P-51 Mustang.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey masteromodels, which one of the three flies the best and what war bird would you guys like to see top flight come out with?

Karl
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To tell the truth I think they all fly great , you cannot go wrong with any of them . The P-40 and P-47 are a little easier to put together only because all the flying surfaces are already hinged except the rudder. They all posess great slow flying characteristics and they all are very aerobactic for war birds. I have the GS Corsair on back order and that should be another great one . I would loke to see them come out with something a little different after the Corsair maybe a nice BF-109 G or a Hellcat I would really like to see a MACHI-202 or 205 but that is not going to happen. If you have a favorite out of the ones thay have now I would not hesitate to order one . With the flaps down and the landing gear down you can almost slow them down to a walk without them wanting to peel off. I fly the P-51 with an OS BGX 3500 and the P-47 and P-40 with the Big Tigre 4500 and they all realy pull them with a lot of authority . My buddy flys his P-47 with a DA -50 and we fly formation with them and I can stay right with him with my Tigre. I just got another P-40 and I will put a DLE-55 in it and compare the two. I like both glow and gas , I guess I still have a soft spot for the big glow engines.
    good luck with which ever you choose.

thanks Bob
    p40bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with with Masteromodels that all TF models fly great! I have built their .60 size kits (P-51,P-47,F4U) and have the P-47,P-40 and P-51 GS arfs.
    My Favorite is the P-47.Not only does it fly nice but has a nice fat belly to land on if the gear fails.
    I hear that the GS Corsair ARF is soon to be released(another winner) and would really like to see a GS Hellcat offered!
    I should have stock in TF from all the money they've gotten from me...lol. Money well spent none the less.
    Keep em Flyin' !

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warhawk demon

all my planes with flaps bounce down the runway if you dont greese the landing. you should try less flaps and see if it helps..
    too little flaps will add lift, not drag (like full flaps would) not sure this is the answer...it actually might be the opposite. My buddy had the same problem with his giant scale Hurricane. He fixed it by using full flaps on landings and it went away for the most part. He was using half flaps origially due to the fact that he was worried about rudder authority and it would always bounce. It still does at times, but its usually do to to his stick inputs.

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plus one to glazier's comments. I set mine up with full flap and enough down elevator mixed in so it descends at a 20 degree angle at idle. It then raises it's nose with a slight application of power. This allows me to drag it to the runway and it will descend when power is reduced. I then hold a constant amount of backpressure on the elevator stick and flair when appropriate.

Hope I haven't re-invented the wheel here, but this system works well and consistently for 2-point landings. Hope it might help another.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well i havent maden  mine yet. But got concerned watching all the bad landings on youtube. seem they were all the same
    touch down, bounce real high and then snap to the right . didnt know if it was that hard to land or
    if the pilots were not up to it.. lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A lot of the guys flying at our field seem to have the same problem , they all come in to slow and try to flair to soon. These war birds are meant to land on their mains and roll out before the tail drops. Maybe you need more expo. in the elevator, like I said before stay off the elevator as much as possible and use the throttle to control youe desent . I fly off off a grass runway and maybe that helps some to slow the plane once she touches down, but when they come down on the mains they should stick and be very gentle with the elevator , only use enough to keep it on the mains then let the tail settle down and then use more elevator to keep it there.

thanks bob
    p40bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took some of the tension out of the springs on my Mustang. It does not bounce on landing. I also have Vally wheels, which are very firm. This may help too.

Greg Norman said, \"Happiness is a long walk with a putter.\" Obviously he never flew a P-51 Mustang.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Everytime I hear of or see planes bounce on landing it always points to a heavy elevator hand. Truly the instant the gear touch down release all elevator, you will be surprised how that will eliminate the dreaded bounce and stall.
    Time flies like a brick thru the window of life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thats exactly what my buddy's problem was after he started using full flaps...at first he could'nt keep his thumb off the elevator, but finally he has gotten it down and it just sticks to the mains everytime!

just had to train his head and thumb to this plane, you can do the same!

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got my maiden in this weekend. Everything went smooth.

P-40 Brotherhood #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice job lomcevak...great pics too
    "Go low if you wanna make a show"
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The engine was pretty rich but it still seemed to move on pretty good. I am planning to adjust the engine and get some good speed going.
    [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bp3aFcRMjA&context=C44f6c0cADvjVQa1PpcFP8z9p_Vb28OhareO4DiTb1-cu1ixifNik%3D&noredirect=1[/link]
    P-40 Brotherhood #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lomcevak,

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Where did you balance it for the maiden?
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

She looks good Lomcevac.. liked the video as well. post some more after you get her tuned up..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took a tip from Sam Parrifit on here and used spray foam and put into my belly pan to stiffen up.

He also did his wheel wells and carved out for his landing gear, I probably wont do that.

I have to tell you it really stiffend up the belly pan with little weight.

I can now pick the whole plane up with one hand on the BELLY and prop and no worries of denting in the pan.

I drilled three holes in the pan (two in front and one in rear) for the foam to expand out.

IT DOES GET MESSY, but worth it.

To get the dried (8 hours later) foam off I used a sharp chisel.

AMA 5288
    IMAC 3721
    IMAA 24878

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lifer

lomcevak,

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Where did you balance it for the maiden?
    Thanks!
    It is balanced at 5 1/4". I can't move it back any further without adding weight, so I plan to fly it like this for a while. Seems to fly fine!
    Flaps really surprised me... no trim changes at all when flaps at deployed. I was expecting a balloon or something, but it just settled right in. I set them up at the recomended throws. I hope to get some more flights on it this weekend.
    P-40 Brotherhood #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a good idea Russell. what kind of foam did you use?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 3 blade prop just makes it !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warhawk demon

That's a good idea Russell. what kind of foam did you use?
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._6/key_/tm.htm

post#140

AMA 5288
    IMAC 3721
    IMAA 24878

Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast