Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New to warbirds..HELP

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New to warbirds..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
motor12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to warbirds..HELP

I am a heli pilot and just attended my first war bird event and i am hooked. I fly all electric and want to stay with electric. What i am looking for is a WW II fighter with a WS of aprox 60 to 65 inches. A P40 or Spitfire or ME109 would be great.My question is what mfg. would you recommend. Also i am looking for ARF as my building skill are not ready for a scratch built. thanks, and don't tell my helli buds.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:18 PM
jddickers
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: New to warbirds..HELP

motor12, Welcome to the warbird form. Every thing you will need to know about Warbirds is here. For the money and looks it's hard to beat ESM warbirds. Tomas at VQ Warbirds is the place you want to buy from. His customer service is one of the best. Some one else will have to answer your question on electrics. There are a lot of ESM warbirds with electric motors flying out there. Any way welcome ane good luck.
JD
Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best flying warbirds/ most suitable for electric power in the size range you mention (60 ~ 65") is without a doubt the Hangar 9 warbirds. Hundreds, if not thousands of them have been converted to electric power. I have a Hangar 9 Corsair which I converted to electric power about 5 years ago, flew great then, and still does.
Tha Hangar 9 warbirds are built lighter than most others. They sacrifice a little in scale looks department (assuming you keep it 'stock') but make up for it with their flying qualities.

Here is YouTube video of mine:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i0cxQAuXXo[/youtube]
Old 04-25-2010, 01:02 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet bird and nice flying , are they the stock retracts ? I have another one new in box ready to assemble ,
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 PM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with Corsair Jock. Hangar 9 puts out a great ARF. The Top Flite mustang makes a nice electric conversion too.

Aaron D.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:29 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM
sweet bird and nice flying , are they the stock retracts ? I have another one new in box ready to assemble ,
I used the stock retracts for the 1st 4 or 5 years (with RoboStruts added), but finally upgraded to Lados for the 2009 flying season. The stock retracts are marginal, but workable (aren't ALL ARF retracts that way?), but I finally tired of fiddling with them and installed the Lados. Glad I did: she handles much better on the ground now.
Since the video was taken in 2008: I probably had the stock retracts on at the time.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Neo gold

Hanger 9 without a doubt!!.....An ESM kit is quite heavy & for experienced flyers....'no offence!'...& then the retracts are extra...also, it would be more expensive for a higher powered motor for these too.
H9 Spitfire & that p40 are very forgiving & a great start into warplanes...they are more of a sports flyer than weighty warbird..
Old 04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/quote]

I used the stock retracts for the 1st 4 or 5 years (with RoboStruts added), but finally upgraded to Lados for the 2009 flying season. The stock retracts are marginal, but workable (aren't ALL ARF retracts that way?), but I finally tired of fiddling with them and installed the Lados. Glad I did: she handles much better on the ground now.
Since the video was taken in 2008: I probably had the stock retracts on at the time.

[/quote]

Whatever happened with/to Lado? A friend had an order for them for several months, with no response to phone and email inquirey. Finally he got his money back through Paypal.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:43 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hanger 9 also!!!

Barry

Plus CorsairJock is great at bashing ARF's so follow his lead.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: motor12

I am a heli pilot and just attended my first war bird event and i am hooked. I fly all electric and want to stay with electric. What i am looking for is a WW II fighter with a WS of aprox 60 to 65 inches. A P40 or Spitfire or ME109 would be great.My question is what mfg. would you recommend. Also i am looking for ARF as my building skill are not ready for a scratch built. thanks, and don't tell my helli buds.
I am not sure if you would like a styrofoam plane but check out www.wowplanes.com They are big and have retract options to buy right there on the site as well.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

Kyosho.