Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Hawker Typhoon ARF build thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 AM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ESM Hawker Typhoon ARF build thread

I havnt opened up the cover on the wheel bays yet to look at the retract mount area yet but a freind of mine has the EMS Fok Wolfe and he recommended to beef up the mount area too, I will strengthen as much as possible.
By the way you wrote your post, sounds like yours broke or was weakend ?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM
cfv007
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah. After landing I turned too quickly and kinda skidded. The plane leaned over and the wingtip scraped along on the ground. I guess that put too much stress on the landing gear mount and it fractured a bit. It didnt break completely but it cracked in a couple places. I can grab the gear/wheel and move it back and forth and see the cracking. Hopefully it will be enough just to pour some epoxy or CA down into the cracks and let it cure. I now wish I would have made it so I could remove the wheel wells. To get them off now would be messy. Also, I wish I would have left a good bit of extra air hose hidden inside the wing so I could unscrew the retract mechanism and pull it out of the way without having to disconnect the air lines. Might have made it a little easier to repair.

Of course if I could just make it a point to do perfect landings every time ...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 AM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Finished off the mods on the firewall last night, just boxed in the cut away and then lined with some heat reflective tape just in case the muffler transfers too much heat to the wood.
I also set up my throttle by changing the servo location to get a straight shot to the throttle arm, works good.
Thats the front end pretty much done, will move on to the tail or the wings at the weekend.
Pics below....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46524.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1432307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26447.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1432308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66623.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1432309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10347.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1432310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21748.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1432311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91301.jpg
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1432312  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that some nice work there Steve. question though.. you really trust the 'cup & ball' links like
the one your using on the throttle servo.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used these in the past with nio issues, however your question is one that I asked myself when I put it on and I'm not 100% sure yet if I will use it. One main reason is that due to the angle that the throttle linkage on the engine operates at being pretty high, the Ball link copes with that, I do have the ball links with the bolts that go through them and may utilize them, we will see.
Thanks for the comments though, thats what these forums do, they give mulit opinions on things that could ultimatly save an aircraft from early termination.

Just noticed on the picture that I posted that the ball link is not "popped" on the ball, that makes it look worse than it really could be, just thought I would point that out, doesnt change the concern around these types of connector though
Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
cfv007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used those ball linkages forever. Never had one come off. Sometimes I even wonder why I use them just because they are so hard take off. I usually have to pry it off with a flat screwdriver blade. If you set your end points correctly so there is no binding, I doubt they would ever come off by themselves. And I love how they allow unfettered movement up/down left/right when the angle isnt just perfect or when the linkage moves a little during servo operation. JMO though.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
cfv007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a heads up for ya. I told you about the landing gear block issue. Well ... I took my gear out to repair the cracks and found that 2 of the 3 pieces of triangle stock had broken loose. They were in there just rattling around. There was very little glue on either of the pieces of the tri stock. I reached up in there with my finger and was able to easily pop off the 3rd piece. So I cleaned them all up and reglued them with epoxy. Should hold up better now.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good info, I will beef mine up,
Workedont the tail feathers today for a while,I quitelike the pull pull elevator arrangement and the way the tail joinswith the alloy tube, looks to be pretty strong.
I am going to put some glue around the tail wheel former, dont really want to add weight but it looks like it could do with some extra strength.
I was holding off on the wings as I didnt want to buy extra servos (I have about 45 digital servos on all my planes)but as Ihad amid air with oneof my racers yesterday I now have enough to fit out the Typhoon. I am using Futaba s3152's on 6v which give nearly 90 oz of torque so should be good enough.
More pis this week.

Edit : Oops, should read More PICS this week (Mind you ........[sm=tongue_smile.gif])
Old 05-13-2010, 01:31 PM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Screwed up cutting out the oil cooler moulding [:@]
Anyone have a sparer ?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 AM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got some more done this week.
The tail feathers are now complete and Elevator / rudder servos installed.
The fit of the tail parts was good, a bit of a warning on the elevator control linkage, make sure the two 90deg bends that go into the elevator are exactly level, mine were slightly out. I'm sure most of you know this but be sure to remove the paint from the fuselage where the tail is glued to it, it just needs roughed up to get a good surface, I also glued the ally tube just to be sure.
Running the pull pull for the controls was pretty straight forward, no big issues, I used Great Planes Nylon clevices as the threads on the supplied pull pull hardware are very fine so couldnt find metal clevices that fitted. I may change them out later but they are very secure for now.
Mounting the tail wheel bracket was quite a task, I used larger screws as i didnt like the ones supplied in the kit, getting a screw driver in to tighten them was not easy but it ended up very strong.
I did put some epoxy arounf the tail gear mounting former as it didnt look very well glued, didnt add to much as weight is a concern in the tail.
So, front end finished (apart from finalizing the cowl mounting as I am getting my 120mm spinner when I'm in the UK next week), the tail is done so on to the wings.
Hope to get a start on them this weekend.

Name:	Ay75629.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1435863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42039.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1435864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13181.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1435865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46528.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1435866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60302.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1435867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne54571.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1435868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl96268.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1435869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji27988.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1435870  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay45060.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1435871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx11592.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1435872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye31790.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1435873  
Old 05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Made a start on the wings last night, the wheel wells were cut out and found the retract mountings well lined up etc but very little glue (as per posts above). I put a bunch of 30 minute epoxy around all the ply peices that I could get at, looks like it should be pretty strong. The wheel well inserts fitted exactly in the space in the wing after trimming.
Moved on to joining the wing panels, i wish they had a wing tube and pre drilled dowels, this wouldmake the plane much easier to transport as you could leave the center section with the landing gear on it etc, I'm sure it could be done but I decided to go with a one peice wing.
The template provided for drilling the dowels is ok but i found I had to oval out the holes in the center section to get an exact fit. The wing joiners look to be very strong and were a good fit.
The panels were epoxied together and left to dry.
I'm going to be travelling this week for work and then on friday off to the UK to visit family so next building will be the week on Memorial day. My spinner has been shipped to my mothers house in the UK so will have it upon my return, it's the 120mm from the guy in the UK, suposed to fit perfectly, we will see.

Name:	Ca80602.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1437255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86158.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1437256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72921.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1437257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99455.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1437258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92677.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1437259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vl81600.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1437260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs30331.jpg
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1437261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq56456.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1437262  

Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking good Steve. Can't wait to see it at the field.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:07 PM
cfv007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah ... those anti-rotation dowel pins were a bit of a joke because when you slide the wing down the joiner/spar it is coming in at an angle due to the dihedral. So you have to really open up the holes to get the wing panels in place. If you could slide the wings together, then somehow reach inside and push the dowels through the holes, then, with the wing in place, the holes might line up. But thats impossible without opening up the wing skin. I found the same thing to be true with the horizontal stab. I had to "oval up" the holes a bit to get the dowels to slide in place there too.

Another heads up. I took all the bolts/setscrews out of the landing gears (one at a time) and put locktite on the threads. Some were rather loose and needed tightening anyway. Better to do it now before installing them.

The gear doors dont match the invasion stripes. I used some black and white SolarTex fabric covering to put the stripes on them. SolarTex is flat just like the paint. Worked easily and looks great.

Oh ... I also did the servo hatch covers with the SolarTex to match the stripes.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:15 PM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good tip on the retract bolts, Iam goung to turn one of the cylinders 180 deg as the side tube fittings are both on the same side which makes them exit the wheel wells at front and back instead of both front (or back which ever you want them to be).
I noticed the lack of invasion stripeson the gear doors, I will use covering or paint to match with the wings.

A question on CG, I read that the 100mm is good but is this with gear up or gear down ?, as the struts move backwards and forwards as they rertact, it may make a difference to the CG so what did you do ?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
cfv007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did the same thing on the cylinders (rotated one of em). Thus making a right and left gear.

With retracts I always balance the plane with the gear down. That is the way you come in for landing ... the planes stability most crucial at the time when you are, lower to the ground, powered back, flaps possibly deployed, low airspeed and probably low fuel level ... . this is the time I want no surprises.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cfv007

I did the same thing on the cylinders (rotated one of em). Thus making a right and left gear.

With retracts I always balance the plane with the gear down. That is the way you come in for landing ... the planes stability most crucial at the time when you are, lower to the ground, powered back, flaps possibly deployed, low airspeed and probably low fuel level ... . this is the time I want no surprises.
Really good point on the gear being down.....I was taught to ballance a Warbird upside down with the gear up. That would only help you while flying...not landing.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I'm back from the UK (dust cloud didnt get me), 120mm (3 5/8 ")spinner in hand
Will be posting some pics this week, hope to complete the wings and get the front end all finished off in a week or two.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The airplane needs to be within the CG range under all possible conditions that you may find yourself in. That means tank empty and gear up assuming the gear swings aft as it does on most single engine fighter types. Your method may work fine 99% of the time but may result in an aft CG condition in the worst case scenario. Just my .02 cents of course.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This may be too simple to state, but it's worthwhile to see where your airplane balances with the gear up and the gear down. It's simple to do for sure and you could be surprised what you find out.

The CG location really isn't a black-white, win-lose, good-bad situation. It is basically a good place to balance for your 1st flight or two, but not being spot on the recommendation won't create a dangerous situation. Most airplanes that size fly safely with a CG anywhere within a range of an inch or more.

Best thing to do with ANY model is to measure the sucker you have in your own hands and plug the numbers into a CG application. Give the application a couple of different static margins to use and you'll wind up with a CG range that is absolutely safe and reliable. Then see if your model balances within that range. If so, it's good to go.

Trying to balance perfectly by what a foreign mfg thinks (and has translated for you) often causes some grief. You don't need to be perfect. You're better off checking his location. You're even better off working out a CG range (you'll know how sensitive your model is by how wide the range is). And it's pretty easy to do. I just checked my newest H9 warbird and it took me about 15 minutes. And the only special equipment needed was a yardstick.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm
Old 06-06-2010, 07:49 PM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some good info on the CG, too much data required on that link you posted though, I'm going with the 100mm as per the manual, the other forum on this plane shows that it flys good at this setting. I can play with it after it has flown a few times.
A couple more pictures, the spinner looks great and I got the cheap EMS pilot from Troy Built, looks pretty good too.
More later.

Name:	Us54101.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1449118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34551.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1449119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18377.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1449120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87372.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1449121  
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
cfv007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah ... the 100mm CG with gear down is just fine. That's about where I fly mine and when I roll inverted I need to add about 20% down elevator to keep it level. That's good for a war bird. After flying yours you can adjust it either way to suit how you like it.

That spinner looks like the perfect size.

I had a dead stick the other day. I was going to land but had forgotten to lower my idle so decided to go around and do it over. I had the gear down for the planned landing. I powered up to full throttle and just started to climb out when the engine flamed. I was about 90 degrees around in my turn and continued the turn and immediately let the nose drop to keep some speed so I could flare. The glide slope is very steep! It all happened so quickly .... I flared and landed out in the dirt area. All was cool until my right gear hit a rock. It tore the retract out of the wing. Minor cosmetic damage to the bottom too. Its repaired now and I am flying it again tomorrow. I better richen up the high end needle a bit.

During the repair I noticed something that could have caused a potential major calamity. The gear has that shock absorbing part of the strut. It goes up and down within the main part of the gear. There is a small short bolt that goes into it from the side and not only keeps the wheel from turning around, it also keep the lower part of the oleo strut intact. One of mine was ready to fall out. Glad I noticed it. Could have torn off a gear again if part of my gear would have fallen off during a landing.

I took em both apart and cleaned the really well and loctited them.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good that you didnt sustain real bad damage.
Very strange that you mention the screw in the oleo strut, just by chance, as I was looking at the struts last night, I actually noticed that the screw was loose as it moved side to side when I twisted the wheel on the axle, I lock tighted them in there to ensure they stayed put.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM
cfv007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I meant to ask you about your spinner. Is it a Zinger spinner? Does the cone overlap the back plate and you attach the cone to the back plate by drilling holes and running some screws thru? You have to cut out your own openings to clear the prop right? What was the cost and could I maybe order one and have it shipped to me? I want to get a nice 3 blade prop and that spinner would be perfect for it. Let me know when you get time.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 AM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice job so far,i'm puttin 1 together also,be prepared to add alot of ballast to acheive cg,i need 3lbs. in the nose to acheive this,and thats built per plans and using a crrc 50cc gpr under the hood[X(]
Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM
stevelesl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I meant to ask you about your spinner. Is it a Zinger spinner? Does the cone overlap the back plate and you attach the cone to the back plate by drilling holes and running some screws thru? You have to cut out your own openings to clear the prop right? What was the cost and could I maybe order one and have it shipped to me? I want to get a nice 3 blade prop and that spinner would be perfect for it. Let me know when you get time.

Thanks

The spinner is from DB sport and scale in the UK, they will ship to the USA, cost was 17.50 pounds UK, (thats about US $ 27) very cheap.
It is a spun alloy spinner, not Tru Turn quality by any means, however, it is pretty well made.
You have to cut your own slotts for the prop and it goes together with two screws fronm the rear on to a braket inside the spinner which has a nut at the front for the front screw to hold the cone to the back plate.
I will post pics later this week, link below.

http://www.dbsportandscale.com/Bits-miscalaneous.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.