Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best flying war bird fighter?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best flying war bird fighter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
RealFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best flying war bird fighter?

OK, here goes from a relatively new flyer who loves War-birds (less than 1 year flying). I just put together a giant scale Top-Flite P-47 (Orange Tail - Tarheel Hal version). It is about 1/6th scale and it was easy to put together. I will maiden it in the next week, however a more experienced gent took it up and it flies nicely. I started off with a H9 Hellcat, which flies great, but it has a tendency to nose over without proper elevator management on the taxi. I noticed that the P-47 does not have that tendency (or at least it is more manageable). See the reviews on the TF giant scale P-47 and it appears they all say it is an excellent choice for your first giant scale war-bird.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....just keep in mind - the Topflite and other kit manufactures do not have the retracts in the scale location (P-47). There is a good portion to modify to get the right stand on the LG. The main spar has to be cut and modified....
Old 05-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Delta 3

Is your p47 an arf or a kit build?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Read his original post Ed. He said he wanted to build a 1/4 to 1/6 scale. I made my recommendations based on what he stated he wanted to do.
When someone says he wants to build, I encourage him. I started out in this hobby when there were no ARFs. And believe it or not, we still had planes to fly. There is RC life apart from ARFs.

I was at Columbus and then Toledo and a gentleman had a giant scale Tri Motor that he had built. He took second at Columbus, and first at Toledo, in his class. He had NEVER BUILT A GIANT SCALE BEFORE. This thing even had the scale corrugation on the skin. 8 year old Chinese kids aren't the only ones that can build airplanes ya know.

Building is fun, and all the more so if you can do it with you kids, or brother, in my case. Years ago, I built a Jemco P-47 with one of my sons. It will never go anywhere, and I always wind up selling my planes. That one is very special to me.

[/quote]

The original post says in part: ''We all love the war birds, and wanting some suggestions on a 1/4 scale or 1/6 scale war bird fighter to build.
I have built a DC3 Ziroli air frame but sold it due to the time and money it would take to finish it.
I really don't know if I will have time for a Ziroli. ''

So I figured he wanted an arf- lots of posts talk about building when they mean assembling an arf these days. In fact most of the responses here are about arfs not kits or plans only designs like Ziroli or Meister planes. So I'm not the only one who interpreted what he said that way.

You should read ALL of his post not just the part you decide to reply to. He is saying he wants something quicker to ''build'' and the Meister is not much different to build than a Ziroli.

Ed

[/quote]
Why so defensive? I don't agree with some of what you say. So what? Do we all agree? No. I have a right to my opinion (which many seem to agree with, BTW) and so do you. So why not just chill out and drop it?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

ahhh.. I remember pre-ARF days.. my first was a 1:8 P-38.. when I finally got to
the covering and dope, it kicked my ***** big time. thats when I called uncle lol.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

P-47
Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the KMP/ESM warbirds. I have the since-discontinued Hawker Sea Fury and really enjoy flying it. They can be a bit of a pain to build (poor manual, need to do some MacGuyvering) but they look awesome. And, they are now much cheaper (you can check them out at Troy Built Models website). I've been eyeing the Corsair. My Sea Fury weighs in at a hefty 18 pounds with only a 72 inch span, but has so much wing area it actually is a floater. Predictable, and relatively easy to fly. With an O.S. 1.60FX mine clocks in around 130mph. Some of you may have seen me fly it at Nall last year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56140.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	1430158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15474.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	1430159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94910.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1430160  
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Sessholvlaru

Ga! I hate it when the uploaded pics become enormous. Well, you can click on the first one and arrow through the rest...
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
spaceworm

I just set my viwer to 50 % and enjoyed the pictures. I do really like the Sea Fury, next to the Spitfire
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

ahhh.. I remember pre-ARF days.. my first was a 1:8 P-38.. when I finally got to
the covering and dope, it kicked my ***** big time. thats when I called uncle lol.
Remember the Cleveland kits? i built an Aeronca Champ and controlled it with a Heathkit radio that I also built. Sorry, off topic. I regress at times.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

Ga! I hate it when the uploaded pics become enormous. Well, you can click on the first one and arrow through the rest...
Yea, why does it do that sometimes?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM
spaceworm

Camera resolution set high? I usually copy the pics I expect to send to a lower resolution. Or, send them to myself using the photo reduction option on Hotmail when sending multiple images.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Camera resolution set high? I usually copy the pics I expect to send to a lower resolution. Or, send them to myself using the photo reduction option on Hotmail when sending multiple images.
I use the same settings for all my pictures though. Most of the time they are posted as normal, but every so often they come through big like these. No change on my end.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

I would say the TF Giant Scale P-47. You can either build the kit or buy the ARF. Flys great, looks decent and you'll have a lot of fun with it. If you prefer the look of a P-51, my second choice would be the TF Giant Scale P-51. Also can be bought as either a kit or an ARF. Also a good flyer and a lot of fun, but in my opinion it is a little more difficult to fly than the TF GS P-47. I think both of these ARFs are a good value and they can be assembled pretty quickly.

-Ed B.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
G-Pete

Or just reload your pictures and be gentle on the guys with a slower IP

If you need to resize them here is a super program to make it easy

[link=http://www.stormdance.net/software/photorazor/software%20overview.htm]click here for the photorazor[/link]

Or you just save your pictures down below and reload them in your post - don't forget to delete the first ones
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74804.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	1430192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25172.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1430193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98615.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1430194  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: Delta 3
Is your p47 an arf or a kit build?
are you asking me?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM
jeffEE

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What about a WWI warbird? They are easy to build, lots of them in 1/4 and 1/6 size to pick from and no retracts and flaps. Just a thought.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM
jeffEE

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Fokker DVII's and Sopwith pups are easy to fly and look good too.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

Or just reload your pictures and be gentle on the guys with a slower IP

If you need to resize them here is a super program to make it easy

[link=http://www.stormdance.net/software/photorazor/software%20overview.htm]click here for the photorazor[/link]

Or you just save your pictures down below and reload them in your post - don't forget to delete the first ones
Thanks G-Pete. I always upload the same size pictures, but it is a problem with RCU and it just happens sometimes. 85% of the time they upload fine.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
ram3500-RCU

Nice link G-Pete. Thanks.

On WWI aircraft, I'll probably have the 'Dawn Patrol' down on me now, but I have found them to be a challenge to fly in the slightest variable wind. Definitely not for low time fliers. Unless you are talking about park fliers, of course. Light and 'airy', fragile and realistically under-powered, they are very sensitive to the slightest cross wind, and their gear is usually / always quite narrow. I love building and flying them, but I would not recommend them for a first war bird.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
NCIS

ORIGINAL: Delta 3

Wow!!,

I really do appreciate all of the great suggestions,
I would love to build a large Ziroli, but I also want to see my kids grow up.
I think that I will find a good arf abd go from there.

Thank ya''ll very much,

Bryan
I build everyday and also play with my son and daughter on X-Box for 3 hours a day. Just spend time doing both and you might find out after spending time with them doing something they love that they will get their hands and fingers full of glue and be right along side of you building for maybe not 2 or 3 hours but 1 or 2. I have three builds going right now and they are a:

125" F4U-5N Ziroli blown up Corsair
96" Ziroli P-40
86.5" Top Flite Corsair. The P-40 is the one on the top of the priority list but once it's flying then the Top Flite Corsair is next. Followed by the Monster Corsair. I also have 3 more kits of warbirds just sitting in their boxes the way they came also on the list for future Winter projects.

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
rc34074

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Read his original post Ed. He said he wanted to build a 1/4 to 1/6 scale. I made my recommendations based on what he stated he wanted to do.
When someone says he wants to build, I encourage him. I started out in this hobby when there were no ARFs. And believe it or not, we still had planes to fly. There is RC life apart from ARFs.

I was at Columbus and then Toledo and a gentleman had a giant scale Tri Motor that he had built. He took second at Columbus, and first at Toledo, in his class. He had NEVER BUILT A GIANT SCALE BEFORE. This thing even had the scale corrugation on the skin. 8 year old Chinese kids aren't the only ones that can build airplanes ya know.

Building is fun, and all the more so if you can do it with you kids, or brother, in my case. Years ago, I built a Jemco P-47 with one of my sons. It will never go anywhere, and I always wind up selling my planes. That one is very special to me.

The original post says in part: ''We all love the war birds, and wanting some suggestions on a 1/4 scale or 1/6 scale war bird fighter to build.
I have built a DC3 Ziroli air frame but sold it due to the time and money it would take to finish it.
I really don't know if I will have time for a Ziroli. ''

So I figured he wanted an arf- lots of posts talk about building when they mean assembling an arf these days. In fact most of the responses here are about arfs not kits or plans only designs like Ziroli or Meister planes. So I'm not the only one who interpreted what he said that way.

You should read ALL of his post not just the part you decide to reply to. He is saying he wants something quicker to ''build'' and the Meister is not much different to build than a Ziroli.

Ed

[/quote]
Why so defensive? I don't agree with some of what you say. So what? Do we all agree? No. I have a right to my opinion (which many seem to agree with, BTW) and so do you. So why not just chill out and drop it?
[/quote]

Amazing - you don't have any real reply so you make another personal attack and then try to cut off any reply with your last sentence. You should be a politician.

Ed
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 PM
ram3500-RCU

Ed, first of all, I can't see how you can read a 'personal attack' into my reply. Sorry if you see it that way.

Here is the reply you asked for, and only because you seem to have asked for it. ''We all love the war birds, and wanting some suggestions on a 1/4 scale or 1/6 scale war bird fighter to build". That is what he said. Notice the object word BUILD. When I read BUILD, I think BUILD. He did not say, 'ARF'. I have ARFs like most of us do. If I was asking for a good ARF, I would say ARF. I didn't try to read between his lines, I just took them face value.

There, is that better? Now can you relax? I hope so. If not, and you want the typical 'last word', you may gladly have it. Have at it if it makes you happy.

I'm simply trying to give a guy some good advise who is sincerely asking for it. I have some experience on the subject and always take opportunity to share what I have learned over my more than four decades in this hobby.

My mom always said that there was a reason why God gave us two ears, and only one mouth. Unfortunately, with the internet, the numbers get all screwed up. We only have two eyes, but we have ten fingers.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Steve Landron

All the above choices are good, seems like allot of recommendations for the P-47. I don’t have any experience with the P-47 but have built the Top Flight P-40 (1/6) as well as the World Models Giant P-51 (1/5 80") ARF.

The TF P-40 took 6 months to build and on the maiden flight, I stalled the plane on final twice. I was able to save the first attempt/stall did a go around and on the second attempt flat spinned into the ground, very touchy plane.

The wing loading and flight characteristics on the WM P-51 are great, you can read my review. The scale details aren’t as great as some ARFS/kits but to get something out at the field that will get some great looks and fly’s similar to a trainer you can't go wrong the WM P-51 (about $500.00).

Another company/plane I would recommend is the Hanger 9 1/6 scale P-51. A good friend of mine flew this plane as his second and the P-51 had no bad tendencies as well.

As another good source of information is RC Universe reviews, there’s some great info there, I suggest looking up any plane your thinking about there.

Steve

[8D]
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
matoran629

Hey I'd try the ESM FW 190. Just make sure you know how to build. The instructions SUCK. I have the plane and it flies well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.